Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Kay's new show next month on Channel 4

Options
  • 27-09-2008 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭

Just saw an advertisement for Peter Kay's new show on Channel 4.

Britain's Got The Pop Factor ... And Possibly A New Celebrity Jesus Christ Soapstar Superstar Strictly On Ice

And yes, that's the actual title. It's gonna be a 3 hour spoof sitcom (assumed it'll be 6 seperate episodes of 30 minutes) on reality TV, the contestants that audition and the process.

I love Peter Kay.. his standup was fantastic, and the majority of the stuff he wrote was excellent (though Max & Paddy really didn't live up to Phoenix Nights). But the ad for this left me all a bit underwhelmed.. and cringing. There's certainly plenty of material in the idea of spoofing reality shows but the advertisement just didn't look too promising.

Still, it should be at least worth a watch!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Hope this is good .. don't forget to bump this nearer the time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭homerjk

If its anything like his skit-doc on the road side services ill be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

homerjk wrote: »

+1 that whole series was majorly under-rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,362 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I hope it works, but I've a feeling that some of whats happened in RealityTV in the last 6 years is beyond spoof/satire.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I hope it works, but I've a feeling that some of whats happened in RealityTV in the last 6 years is beyond spoof/satire.
    Exactly, sometimes it's just too difficult to spoof/satire the ridiculous, it's actually one of the reasons why Spitting Image was cancelled, the Politicians were just outdoing anything the script writers could think up.

Hopefully it'll be good though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Phew!

On Sunday at 8 pm a one off parody of the whole hidious X Factor shtick.

Trailer

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yep, looking forward to this!

Ooops! Thread merge anyone?

Mike

mike65 wrote: »
    Ooops! Thread merge anyone?

Mike
    At your request! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Banging.
    Love Peter Kay.
    Cheers for the heads up Basquille

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

homerjk wrote: »

I missed that. What was it called?

Bump, some good gags, I bet peeps have come in halfway though and think its real ;)

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

From the audition scene

Oh ****, I brought the wrong fcuking dog."

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,162 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Kays NI accent was the straw that broke the camels back and made me change channel...

I get what he's trying to do, ripping the piss out of those type of programmes, but even parodies of those programmes seem to annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,058 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

This is total garbage, hopefully it will finish Petes career, those who said you were nothing without Spikey will have their cigars out right now. I mean does the twit not know that the shows he is spoofing are beyond parody and get this they are actually funnier than this ****ing ****.
    Oh look Rick Astley, Home and Away wow I remember that as well, seriously write some jokes man!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Jesus, who sucked the jam out of your doughnut?

Some good gags and parodies. But you suspect that this is Kay's private joke being beamed into our living rooms. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

That Dead Set thing they advertised looks interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

That Dead Set thing they advertised looks interesting.

Yeah it looks deadly. First time I have seen the ad for it.

Does anybody else think that one of the husbands in the 2 Up 2 Down group looks like Mario Rosenstock from Gift Grub fame?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Aussie Sean

Thought it was marvellous myself!!!

Laughed all the way through

Sean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Cazlou

Some gas bits in it alright! You have to take it for what it is - a bit of light entertainment for a sunday evening.
    Paul McCartney playing the Home and Away theme tune?! Who'd've thunk it!:eek::pac:

• Advertisement

Wasn't too impressed with it myself.. and I've loved pretty much everything Kay has done.

Some funny gags.. but some of it just fell flat. Not to mention the distinct lack of any real comedic presence (bar Peter Kay).
    Rjd2 wrote: »
    those who said you were nothing without Spikey will have their cigars out right now. I mean does the twit not know that the shows he is spoofing are beyond parody and get this they are actually funnier than this ****ing ****.
    Oh look Rick Astley, Home and Away wow I remember that as well, seriously write some jokes man!
    What are you on about?! Who said he was "nothing without Spikey"? Really doubt anyone did!

Spikey wrote a few episodes of Phoenix Nights with Peter and Neil Fitzmaurice.. and Spikey played support to Peter on his tours. So technically without Kay, Spikey would be nothing. And hasn't he vanished now that himself and Peter aren't working together anymore? I mean I did enjoy him as a team captain on 8 Out Of 10 Cats and his "ha-larious real-life stories with a predictable punchtime"... and he has a bright future on that show. Oh wait, he isn't on it anymore. Someone saw sense so.

If you don't find Peter funny, that's fair enough.. but plenty of people do. And while this is not his crowning achievement, he's had more than enough, and plenty more than Dave Spikey.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,058 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

basquille wrote: »
    Wasn't too impressed with it myself.. and I've loved pretty much everything Kay has done.

Some funny gags.. but some of it just fell flat. Not to mention the distinct lack of any real comedic presence (bar Peter Kay).

What are you on about?! Who said he was "nothing without Spikey"? Really doubt anyone did!

Spikey wrote a few episodes of Phoenix Nights with Peter and Neil Fitzmaurice.. and Spikey played support to Peter on his tours. So technically without Kay, Spikey would be nothing. And hasn't he vanished now that himself and Peter aren't working together anymore? I mean I did enjoy him as a team captain on 8 Out Of 10 Cats and his "ha-larious real-life stories with a predictable punchtime"... and he has a bright future on that show. Oh wait, he isn't on it anymore. Someone saw sense so.

If you don't find Peter funny, that's fair enough.. but plenty of people do. And while this is not his crowning achievement, he's had more than enough, and plenty more than Dave Spikey.

Kay wrote Phoenix Nights with Spikey and Neil Fitzmaurice so Phoenix Nights greatness simply cannot be put down to Kay no matter how significant his contribution was. it’s a bit of a coincidence do you not think that Kay’s work began to dip dramatically without those two you do remember Max And Paddy and now this? Neither are exactly comic masterpieces. David Spikey by the way done a TV show called Dead Man Weds which was really good but got axed after one season after rubbish ratings which was a shame.
    Anyways this picked up in the second part which was not saying much but the humour was crude and predictable “Black Cocks” and “Do you have a dick? “ lines were not to endearing. Their was tons of other things wrong with it as well, Kay’s northern accent slipped numerous times, the three judges really are rubbish comic actors and the whole thing had very little sting at all. Anyways another poster on another board put it more succinctly then I could…
    Awful.

Initially, the fairly accurate way that The X Factor's ridiculously extravagant graphics and announcements was depicted made me wonder if there might have been something in it. Then 'R Wayne' appeared - the name isn't funny in the first place, but that seemed to be the only gag for about fifteen minutes (if you don't count the oh so hilarious 'dead grandmother' bit). 2 Up 2 Down were mildly amusing, and I did chuckle when they were hoisted up on wires, but that was my sole laugh the whole time and it was a fairly cheap one. Kay's character was simply not funny at all, and when that was over it got even worse... "proceed will be going to crippled pole dancers"? Jesus wept.

I don't really know what the point of it all was - were they trying to make a 'more ridiculous' version of The X Factor? Because they didn't come close. Were they trying to make us realise that The X Factor uses unsubtle emotional manipulation? Er, well - we all knew that. Or were they just trying to 'have a bit of fun' with it all? 'Cos it was ****.

Get back to going on about Ceefax and Bullseye, Peter Kay. Oh no, wait - you've done that and released it on 20 DVDs already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Jesus, some people take their TV watching far too seriously altogether. I thought it was decent. Ceratinly not laugh out loud funny, but nice easy viewing at the same time. Agreed some of the acting was poor, but I think that was the point - it was meant to look tacky as f**k.

And what can be said about Cat Deeley?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Their was tons of

There were tons of ..
    the three judges really are rubbish comic actors

None of them are 'comic actors'.

For something you, and others, did not enjoy, you seem to have spent a lot of your Sunday evening being unhappy :rolleyes:

Jesus.. what's this about just because we didn't enjoy it means we take our "Sunday evenings viewing too seriously"? I'm a big Peter Kay fan and I was looking forward to it for the past week, and sat down ready to enjoy it.

But I really didn't enjoy it that much.. the scenes with Peter were the best thing about it but unfortunately we had far too much unfunny footage and cringeworthy footage of Nicki Chapman, Dr Fox, Pete Waterman, 2 Up 2 Down and R Wayne. It just wasn't that funny.. also felt there was plenty of opportunities missed out on.

Peter Kay still remains one of my favourite comedians.. and anyone who says he can't write (or isn't anyone without Dave Spikey! :rolleyes:) should watch his stand-up DVD's because the man is a true entertainer.

It wasn't terrible.. but it wasn't particularly great either. Passable entertainment, but definitely the least entertaining thing Kay has been involved in.

The Winner's song - no doubt a top 10 anyways!
    TarfHead wrote:
    None of them are 'comic actors'.
    You don't need to be a comedy actor to have even the mildest comedic presence.. they tried but failed miserably. They over-acted and just made me cringe.

Don't think the guy who played R Wayne was a comic actor either.. yet he had some comedic presence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

Get back to going on about Ceefax and Bullseye, Peter Kay. Oh no, wait - you've done that and released it on 20 DVDs already.

:D This made me laugh quite a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Getting the Pop Idol judges was a stroke of genius. I laughed the whole way through the show. Loved the medaly going from "Free Nelson Mandella...ella ella under my umbrella." And laughed out loud at Cat Deeley "You flew!" "They're wires Cat". And when she told the studio audience to "Fcuking shut up!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

It was fine for what it was.
    basquille wrote: »
    Peter Kay still remains one of my favourite comedians.. and anyone who says he can't write (or isn't anyone without Dave Spikey! :rolleyes:) should watch his stand-up DVD's because the man is a true entertainer.

Spikey got writing credits on those stand up DVDs. His stand up is not without heavy allegations of joke stealing either.

My main problem with Kay's comedy is the small frame of reference he has. This show was just an update on the Stars In Their Eyes spoof he did 10 years ago. Again Kay presents nothng actually new and relies on earlier material almost exclusively for inspiration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭MsMolly

gazzer wrote: »
    Yeah it looks deadly. First time I have seen the ad for it.

Does anybody else think that one of the husbands in the 2 Up 2 Down group looks like Mario Rosenstock from Gift Grub fame?

i thought it was mario thingy as well. It obviously wasn't but he was the image of him. i have to say it was the best laugh i had from sunday night tv since spitting image in the 80's. some of it had me in pieces, R waynes red hot chilie peppers and the idea of him singing it to grannies. lol . and the fact that pual mc cartney even agreed to appear give kay some credibility don't you think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Vixen Sexlectra

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I looked at it last night, for sec, thought it was real.. ha

F**ckin deadly.. takes the PI** outta all that reality muck

Love It
    :cool:

Advertisement