Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being The Bookie

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭charlesanto

Guaranteed to make money....

Check out the bookie value in "to qualify for final" in the laurels Click Me !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

kryogen wrote: »
    thanks mate, ill let you lads know if anything happens with this

its a business avenue we plan to go down even if we dont get this particular one

still need to figure out so much stuff about it, lots of work to do before monday :) gotta convince the guy to give us the place over a well established huge bookmaker chain lol

Dying to know if you went ahead. Expecting to open shop in 2 months and a bit nervous now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    Dying to know if you went ahead. Expecting to open shop in 2 months and a bit nervous now.

tied up in red tape at the moment mate, a certain citys council is objecting and blocking the change of use license right now, i dont think it will be a huge problem but its a bit of an un needed headache tbh

how did you go about getting a change of use license if you dont mind me asking? if you needed one of course :)

kryogen wrote: »
    tied up in red tape at the moment mate, a certain citys council is objecting and blocking the change of use license right now, i dont think it will be a huge problem but its a bit of an un needed headache tbh

how did you go about getting a change of use license if you dont mind me asking? if you needed one of course :)

Through planning application with local County Council. It's all taken ages, what with getting architect to get off his arse and submit application. Decision due this week so hopefully it gets approved. You then have to wait 4 weeks for potential objectors and a further two weeks before trading. It can get frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

My sober advice is not to do it at the moment. You cannot give small shops away n the present climate. Check out the october edition of the trade mag, Betting Business on page 10 "Irish betting market suffers from oversupply". Brief synopsis 400 shops opened last year, 1554 up from 909 in 2002, shop for every 2728 people compared to 7058 in UK,margins lower than UK, and no FOBt,s. add 2% tax and the fact you will be holding an asset you cannot sell in the current climate.

A word on margins you might get a gross win as small as 7%. Take out 2% tax and you will need to turnover 2m a year to break even. It is a pig of a way to make a living.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

one more thing, if you do decide to go ahead, do not touch I repeat do not touch the Abeta bet capture system.

one more thing, if you do decide to go ahead, do not touch I repeat do not touch the Abeta bet capture system.

Thanks for that. Arkle Epos system seems very expensive in the long run with high monthly charges. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jellybaby21

try alpha-meric it is used by alot of independants celtic included.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Ya most of the independents use the Alphameric system. I work weekends in an independent Bookmakers and its a fine system to use. A bit more labour intensive on the staff though compared to epos;)

Powers are trying to kill the market and force the independents out of business imo. Look at all the promotions they run Last man Standing and Guaranteed early morning prices and things like that.

Too many offices in the country in my opinion

Advertisement