Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Rules 2008 - Australia Squad Discussion

Options
2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Xavi will baz hall be in the squad or is he suspended or what? Always a man for eh the big occasion :pac:

On the subject of fev saw his 99 goal match and he looks to be on form, could cause a lot of problems. A lot of ball went his way that wouldnt otherwise tho in that game!

Will that guy that got 100 be playing? Would love to see him with a around ball, campbell is it??

Edit: Just saw above post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

wixfjord wrote: »
    Xavi will baz hall be in the squad or is he suspended or what? Always a man for eh the big occasion :pac:

Hopefully not. He'll just end up thumping someone and the whole thing will be scrapped again.
    wixfjord wrote: »
    Will that guy that got 100 be playing? Would love to see him with a around ball, campbell is it??

Buddy Franklin. He's having an operation so he'll miss it. Thank god!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=12&ContentID=101641
    Crowley, Hayden, Selwood in Rules squad

8th October 2008, 8:15 WST

Fremantle duo Ryan Crowley and Roger Hayden, plus West Coast’s Adam Selwood, have been named in Australia’s youthful 25-man squad picked for this month’s two-match International Rules series against Ireland.

Only six members of the squad have previously played at international level.

The matches will be played in Perth on October 24 and in Melbourne on October 31.

It is a revival of the concept after it was shelved because of Irish anger over on-field violence when it was last played two years ago.

Coach Mick Malthouse said he had not shied away from selecting aggressive players, but had also picked out those who had a reputation for sportsmanship.

“Don’t misinterpret the fact that we’re out there to win this game of football and we will play absolutely within the rules, but those rules are quite broad,” Malthouse said.

“We will play the physical game that’s required, or the running game, or the possession game, whichever’s required at the time.

“Let’s not underestimate the fact we don’t want to be playing timid, but also each player, when we’ve looked at his credentials, we’ve looked at his sportsmanship.”

Squad: Nathan Bock (Adelaide), Matthew Boyd (Western Bulldogs), Jared Brennan (Brisbane), Campbell Brown (Hawthorn), Shaun Burgoyne (Port Adelaide), Matt Campbell (North Melbourne), Ryan Crowley (Fremantle), Michael Firrito (North Melbourne), Nathan Foley (Richmond), Brent Harvey (North Melbourne), Roger Hayden (Fremantle), Leigh Montagna (St Kilda), Daniel Motlop (Port Adelaide), Marc Murphy (Carlton), Michael Osborne (Hawthorn), Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood), Drew Petrie (North Melbourne), David Rodan (Port Adelaide), Max Rooke (Geelong), Brad Sewell (Hawthorn), Kade Simpson (Carlton), Adam Selwood (West Coast), Dale Thomas (Collingwood), Scott Thompson (Adelaide), Daniel Wells (North Melbourne).

:D What a class squad that is!

Can't feckin wait for the game now!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Malthouse is a c*cky fecker!

Out of interest Xavi, who are you for?

• Advertisement

Australia. I feckin hate the GAA and think AFL is a much better sport.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Australia. I feckin hate the GAA and think AFL is a much better sport.

But this is not GAA. You turn your back on your own country!

But this is not GAA. You turn your back on your own country!

Ah but see that's the thing, I was born in Australia and raised in Ireland so which is my own country? I'm going purely on the sport I like more.

Not as awesome as it could have been tbh. I actually think we can win this. A lot of the top players are missing.

No Buddy, Roughhead, Hodge, Bateman
    No Abblett, Scarlett, Mooney, Bartel.
    No Pavlich, Adam Goodes, Cooney, Richo, Juddy, Fev, Riewoldt (sp?), Jonathan Brown, to name but a few.
    I presume these just don't want to play?
    Anyway really looking forward to it now!

A lot of those players would be carrying injuries after long seasons such as Goodes and Franklin.

Others are too old (Richo), thugs (Fev) or too knackered (the Geelong and Hawthorn boys).

The only surprising omission is Pavlich cause I'm sure I read the other week that he wanted in.

• Advertisement

Yeah I suppose the Hawthorn lads won't give a rats ass about the Intl Rules after winning a premiership!

It does seem to be a 'nicer' team though!

edit, Surprised Judd isn't there tbh. Only reason I can think is he musn't have wanted to play.

Judd still isn't 100% I'd say. His groin was still troubling him throughout the season and I wouldn't imagine Carlton being too happy if he did some damage to it in one of the games.

The Irish squad isn't exactly the strongest either.

Yeah I think there's a few absentees from both sides, so should be interesting!

Ireland haven't named the strongest team either. But there is some quality players in there. Leighton Glynn one I was surprised to see in there. He is quality, serious pace and very skillful.

You going to the first match Xavi?

Well I spoke to my mate who does GAA analysis for RTE on the phone last night and he was baffled by a couple of the Irish selections.

Yep goin to the game Subi. Got myself some quality seats!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Coddlemonster

does anyone know the start times for the games? I presume they're on sometime in the morning Irish time

6.30pm in Perth anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Coddlemonster

cheers mate.

Any reason why Fevola and Hall are omitted?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

its a very fit team, one thing that strikes me is the amount of rovers and onballers on it. Delighted to see Thomas on the squad, great ot see skillful players do it on a big stage. There is no real 'big' players, ie the likes of Cox, or Franklin, Hall etc. Campbell Brown will be the big hitter I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

ill be at the mcg game .. so where will everyone be sitting ?????????

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=12&ContentID=102957
    Harvey to captain Australia in IR series

16th October 2008, 8:30 WST

Veteran North Melbourne forward Brent Harvey will captain Australia in the upcoming International Rules series against Ireland.

Harvey, 30, will have the rare distinction of captaining his country before being the permanent leader of his AFL club.

Hawthorn premiership defender Campbell Brown and West Coast midfielder Adam Selwood will be the vice-captains.

Australia will play Ireland at Subiaco on October 24 and at the MCG on October 31.

• Advertisement

http://afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=69129
    Australia shows its IR flair

By Nathan Schmook 9:53 AM Tue 21 October, 2008

ATTACKING defenders and defensive forwards are shaping as the key planks of Australia's 2008 Toyota International Rules campaign after the side's first practice match on Monday night.

There was plenty of attacking flair on display at Subiaco Oval as the squad split in two for an internal hit-out, and defensive coach Glen Jakovich said the side would have a similar approach against Ireland on Friday night.

"You would say that (but) it'll be determined by the pace and the instincts of the Irish and your direct opponent," he said.

"My tip for [our defence] is, first quarter and first half come Friday night beat your direct opponent. After that get on top of them and then start to get your attacking instincts."

Both Australian goalkeepers, Michael Firrito and Nathan Bock, showed a willingness to push up the ground, and they were flanked by the likes of Dale Thomas, Scott Thompson, Roger Hayden and Campbell Brown.

However, Jakovich stressed the importance of defensive pressure in the hybrid game and suggested his back-half players would receive plenty of support from up the field.

"Our half forwards and our centres are going to be running not only one way forward but equally defensively where we think we have a distinct advantage because of our fitness over the Irish," the former Australian goalkeeper said.

"We'll want to cover up a lot of the space and force them to go for overs only and then pressure them. Hopefully they don't kick too many overs and start to spray the ball wide because of our run down pressure from behind."

The Australian line-up will be settled at a team meeting on Thursday night, but Jakovich said the performances of Nathan Foley, Marc Murphy and David Rodan were impressive.

"We'll just see who stands out, who can handle their position and who's comfortable in it,” he said.

"I thought Dale Thomas played at both ends of the ground quite well so you'd think he will get a fair bit of game time at both ends."

So that confirms that the Aussie tactic will be to run the Irish into the ground. They definitely have the fitness and the players for it.

Dale Thomas is my tip to be Australia's key man.

Looks like the Aussies are having some serious problems with the goalkeeping situation -

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=12&ContentID=103821
    Firrito given rude awakening in goal

21st October 2008, 13:00 WST

North Melbourne defender Michael Firrito, the man set to be handed the goalkeeping duties for Australia’s International Rules series with Ireland, says he is still keen for the role despite copping a rude awakening in last night’s practice match.

Firrito was under siege from the outset after he was put in goal for an Irish WA Gaelic Athletic Association team against the Australians in a scratch match at Subiaco Oval.

But the 24-year-old said he was enjoying the role in goal and was learning more about the caper as each day passed.

“To be honest I was thinking about taking the gloves off and saying, 'Sorry, Mick (to coach Michael Malthouse)’,” Firrito joked when asked about the one-sided nature of the match.

“It was pretty full-on early.

“I guess a full-strength Aussie side, the way they moved the ball and the way they ran it through the lines with David Rodan and little Matty Campbell was pretty promising.

“It was my first proper go.

“It was a little bit daunting early but certainly something you get used to. The more time you spend in front the better you get.

“I guess in a real match situation they probably wouldn’t attack the goals that much.

“But I was certainly thrown in the deep end and you either sink or swim, so I managed to knock a couple away but a few got past me, too.”

Although no official score was kept in the low-key scratch match, the Australians scored almost at will.

Firrito, who received some tutelage from Melbourne Victory goalkeeping coach Steve Mautone a few weeks ago, admitted he was no certainty to be given the role in goal against Ireland, with Adelaide’s Nathan Bock, Brisbane’s Jared Brennan and North Melbourne’s Drew Petrie other options.

Fremantle defender Roger Hayden said the team’s defence would make a concerted effort not to leave the goalkeeper fending for himself.

“They are going to be really skilful with the round ball so we’ve got to be conscious of not running forward and turning the ball over and then leaving our goalie by himself,” Hayden said.

“We’ve just got to watch what we do and run off and create at the right time.”

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

ah, I wouldnt really read much into that. he was in goal for a few lads playing in the WA GAA championship and a mix of other players, and it was a near full strength aussie side, was always going to be under pressure with a big score being racked up. In most games, there wouldnt be much more than 5/6 shots on goal, so if he kept at least half out he'd be fine. A lot of goals come from spillages on high balls, and it wouldnt matter what aussie played in goal in that case as they should all be safe under a high ball. I expect to see Firrito making a lot of runs from goal through the centre in support of outfield players.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭twinytwo

dude the international rules is a great game but only if its played correctly. The only way to sort out the crap is for unbiased refs to be brought in. Iv no problem with hard tackles but people the likes of johnson have no place in the game ever no matter if he is irish or aussie. As for who has the advantage if you compare the irish pitch and ball to the austrailan mark tackle( id take being able to snap someone in half over a oval ball anyday) interchange time periods and an extra set of posts plus the fact that they are pros i think enough said there.. the mark should be taken out though is ruins the flow of the game. Hopefully this year we can actually get to see some proper footy without the usual lets go kill us some paddies attitude

lets go kill us some paddies

Lol seriously come on out of that. The Aussies have never gone out with that attitude. Sure it was ireland who kicked it all off last time round by trying to ruffle some feathers before the throw in. Would that be a 'let's go kill us some convicts' attitude?

Anyway, I'm off to the game!

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=12&ContentID=104730
    Hunt in Aussie IR squad

27th October 2008, 9:00 WST

Geelong premiership defender Josh Hunt has been added to the Australian team for the 2008 International Rules Series for Friday's second Test against Ireland to be played at the MCG.

Hunt joins the squad as cover for teammate Max Rooke, who has been ill.

Australia head into the match needing a win to tie the series 1-1 following Ireland's one-point victory in Perth on Friday.

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=12&ContentID=105365
    Australia to make changes for IR decider

30th October 2008, 12:00 WST

Australia will make at least two changes to their line-up for tomorrow night’s deciding international rules Test against Ireland at the MCG.

Scott Thompson is out with a leg injury and Josh Hunt will take his place inside.

They will also put Michael Firrito into the vital goalkeeping position and play Nathan Bock further up the field.

Hunt originally came into the squad early this week to replace Geelong team-mate Max Rooke who has been ill.

Ireland won last Friday night’s first Test at Subiaco by one point and the series winner will be decided by the aggregate score.

The AFL hope at least 50,000 people will attend the deciding Test.

Australia (IR v Ireland): M Firrito, R Hayden, N Bock, C Brown; R Crowley, D Petrie, A Selwood; B Harvey, D Wells; M Murphy, J Brennan, D Rodan; M Osborne, S Burgoyne, M Campbell.

Interchange Players: M Boyd, N Foley, J Hunt, L Montagna, D Motlop, S Pendlebury, B Sewell, K Simpson, D Thomas.

Advertisement