Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Rules 2008 - Australia Squad Discussion

Options
  • 24-09-2008 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Any word yet on the make up of the squad?

Squad:
    Nathan Bock (Adelaide),
    Matthew Boyd (Western Bulldogs),
    Jared Brennan (Brisbane),
    Campbell Brown (Hawthorn),
    Shaun Burgoyne (Port Adelaide),
    Matt Campbell (North Melbourne),
    Ryan Crowley (Fremantle),
    Michael Firrito (North Melbourne),
    Nathan Foley (Richmond),
    Brent Harvey (North Melbourne),
    Roger Hayden (Fremantle),
    Leigh Montagna (St Kilda),
    Daniel Motlop (Port Adelaide),
    Marc Murphy (Carlton),
    Michael Osborne (Hawthorn),
    Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood),
    Drew Petrie (North Melbourne),
    David Rodan (Port Adelaide),
    Max Rooke (Geelong),
    Brad Sewell (Hawthorn),
    Kade Simpson (Carlton),
    Adam Selwood (West Coast),
    Dale Thomas (Collingwood),
    Scott Thompson (Adelaide),
    Daniel Wells (North Melbourne).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Doubt we'll hear anything til a week or so after the Grand Final tbh.

Here's the jersey anyway -

IMG_1986-1.jpg

IMG_1987-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Who's the coach?

Hmmmm think it's Kevin Sheedy but not 100% sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Oooh disaster for the Irish! :D

With Kennelly out as well I don't see much of a chance for them tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ybbi

I thought the Coach was Malhouse from Collingwood?

Ah you are correct. My bad

http://afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=68267
    Harvey delays surgery for International Rules

Thu, Sep 25, 08

NORTH Melbourne's Brent Harvey has delayed surgery on his injured thumb in a bid to play in a fourth International Rules series next month.

Harvey and teammates Michael Firrito, Daniel Wells, Lindsay Thomas and Matthew Campbell have all been named in a preliminary Australian squad to take on Ireland in Perth on October 24, with a second game to be played in Melbourne a week later.

While Harvey revealed he had some floating bone around the base of his thumb, doctors have told him surgery could wait until after the series.

"I was in the squad, but I thought I needed my thumb operation," Harvey said.

"Now I'm not going to get it done. I rang them (selectors) again and said I was available and they said: "good" which hopefully means I get selected.

"If I get a game, it will probably be my last opportunity to play International Rules."

Harvey's desperation to play in another series against Ireland - he played in 2000, 2001 and 2003 - stems from his intent to learn from coaching legend Mick Malthouse and coach-in-waiting Nathan Buckley as he prepares himself for life after football.

The 30-year-old said he had a desire to become an AFL development coach after retiring from the game, admitting he would attempt to get more involved in Australia's game-plan against the Irish to improve his football knowledge.

He believed following the series, he would be more employable after playing under Malthouse and Buckley as well as dual premiership coach Denis Pagan and current Kangaroos coach Dean Laidley.

He added he would like to return to his former club - the Northern Knights under-18 team - to begin the process of becoming a development coach.

"I just want to go there once a month," he said.

"I don't want to take training, I want to be on the side of the track helping kids that might have a kicking technique problem and be a bit of a mentor.

"I don't know how long I've got left (playing in the AFL) - I might have two years or four years - but if I start putting things in place now and I do alright in it, hopefully word gets around.

"When you're finished in footy, you want people ringing you, you don't want to be ringing them.

"I don't want my manager ringing clubs asking them, `What do you think of Brent Harvey?'"

Meanwhile, Harvey dismissed suggestions club veteran Adam Simpson should hand over the captaincy to another player.

Simpson was well down in North's elimination final loss to Sydney, collecting just 13 touches.

But Harvey was effusive in his praise for Simpson's leadership.

"He (Simpson) is the best captain I've played under and I've played under Wayne Carey, Anthony Stevens, who I love," he said.

"But Simmo is a champion bloke, a role model, not only on the field and off the field, but away from the footy club.

"He's got good morals and I've learned heaps from him in terms of the life off the field with family and way you conduct himself.

"He's an amazing family man, amazing captain so I don't reckon he'll stand down."

The feckin squad doesn't seem to be up anywhere on the net though :mad:

Buddy Franklin won't be playing anyway. He's going for a shoulder operation tomorrow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Coddlemonster

Buddy Franklin turns like a battleship!
    Quite frankly I'm glad the Irish AFL guys are out because by this stage they've lost the skill and quick thinking needed to play GAA. If you Aussies decide to actully play the game (after all it's mostly your rules) then we will win hands down. If you want to compensate for your lack of skills by beating up a bunch of hard working amateurs, well be my guest we could do without it.
    By the way how's that thug Fevola doing? Proffesional sportsman? yeah right.

We have the tools, we have the talent.

• Advertisement

Lol at the above.

Lack of skill? Ever watched an AFL game? For starters an oval ball is far harder to kick and bounce than a round one.

There may be a few more rules from the AFL like the mark and the tackle but Ireland get to play with their own ball! That's an unbelievable advantage.

And tbh if you think losing Kennelly and Clarke is a good thing then you're deluded.

Fev's good by the way, sends his regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Buddy Franklin turns like a battleship!
    Quite frankly I'm glad the Irish AFL guys are out because by this stage they've lost the skill and quick thinking needed to play GAA. If you Aussies decide to actully play the game (after all it's mostly your rules) then we will win hands down. If you want to compensate for your lack of skills by beating up a bunch of hard working amateurs, well be my guest we could do without it.
    By the way how's that thug Fevola doing? Proffesional sportsman? yeah right.

We have the tools, we have the talent.

Don't be so hard on yourself, I thought it was a great post.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Still nothing about the squad on the AFL site, it's too busy with the drafts I think!

On that subject, I see Lovett is being courted by the Swans. I thought he looked a great player in the Int. rules matches last time....very very fast. I know he had a few issues last year, but he could be a good 'un for the Swans.

Xavi, any info from elsewhere on the likely squad?

Not a word. I know there has been a 40 man panel chosen but it's nowhere to be found. Hopefully we'll know early next week.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Lol at the above.

Lack of skill? Ever watched an AFL game? For starters an oval ball is far harder to kick and bounce than a round one.

There may be a few more rules from the AFL like the mark and the tackle but Ireland get to play with their own ball! That's an unbelievable advantage.

And tbh if you think losing Kennelly and Clarke is a good thing then you're deluded.

Fev's good by the way, sends his regards.

Yes I've watched plenty AFL and judging by the kicking accuracy of some of them maybe AFL should take up the round ball! :D But TBH I did enjoy some of the games...

Round ball an advantage? I don't think there's a kid on the planet who hasn't kicked a round ball - don't tell me that a round ball is that alien to your players. The tackle and mark are huge parts of the game and swing the game in AFL favour I feel. We've only been successful in the past by avoiding tackles altogether but this year Sean Boylan is going for big fellas so I hope this doesn't backfire on us.

As far as I can see Kennelly is crocked and as for Clarke, well we've got plenty in his mold anyway.

Here's hoping for a good series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Yes I've watched plenty AFL and judging by the kicking accuracy of some of them maybe AFL should take up the round ball! :D But TBH I did enjoy some of the games...

Are you implying that the kick passing isn't as accuarate in AFL? tbh I find it a lot more accurate in AFL than in GAA. This may have something to do with the amount of space on the pitch, but you rarely see a 20/30 yard pass go anywhere but straight into the intended targets chest.

It's a lot easier to kick an AFL ball accurately than it is a round ball, once they're both kicked correctly.

And as Xavi says, Fev is great. He's been off the beer all year and he nearly kicked 100 goals, playing in a very average team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

As i said before, AFL is a joke of a game. no skill at all. im not even expecting the series to be close, the aussies will just batter our players at the start. well done australia well done.

i played for my school against these clowns, absolute scum if you ask me. these aussies seem to have some chip on their shoulder...why? they live in a nice beutiful country...

Dear God este, I thought your trolling days had gone.

How many AFL games have you actually watched?

Nice to see you overlooking the fact that the Irish were just as bad if not worse in the last series for throwing digs. Take off your tricolour glasses and realise that they got in way over their heads.

i watch enough to know that the production is miles better than gaa and hence looks nicer, but game for game, GAA requires greater intelligence in general.

The selectors for Australia(I think) even said this in an indirect way in a quote you posted xavi a while back.

When my school played a international rules match 2 years ago it was odd to see them act in the very same manner as the austrlian team did in the 2006 series. I nearly ended up in hospital after some massive samoa islander guy assaulted me out of nowhere.

in a battle the austrlians are much more capable I don't deny this, but if the irish players were given more protection it would be a much more even playing field.

You wouldn't just be letting one little tackle cloud your judgement would you?

• Advertisement

my hatred for aussie rules xavi is clouding my judgment. sorry but i just don't 'get' it, the same way i don't get american football. the two sports seem more intent on how hard they can destroy someone rather than good play.

sadly i used to have an australia jersey but i had to end up throwing it in the fire after the 2006 game.

my hatred for aussie rules xavi is clouding my judgment. sorry but i just don't 'get' it, the same way i don't get american football. the two sports seem more intent on how hard they can destroy someone rather than good play.

Lol you must be a massive netball fan then. No contact and all that.
    sadly i used to have an australia jersey but i had to end up throwing it in the fire after the 2006 game.

Sorry but that's just ridiculous.

you see the way des is about Gaelic football well this is how i am with aussie rules. I'm ignorant to a lot of things except to the actual rules of the game.

netball wouldn't be my cup of tea at all xavi...tennis though is a good non contact sport i know you will agree.

the australian jersey thing was a bit of a mistake to be honest, i could have put it to good use like cleaning the dust off my playstation.

if australia put on a great game of football i will take all this back but i just dont think its going to happen tbh. i sense a lot of resentment.

Well este I shall be at the game on the 24th so will give you a good honest run down of all the shenanigans, including the off the ball stuff you won't see on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

That's very good of you Xavi:pac:

Are you implying that the kick passing isn't as accuarate in AFL? tbh I find it a lot more accurate in AFL than in GAA. This may have something to do with the amount of space on the pitch, but you rarely see a 20/30 yard pass go anywhere but straight into the intended targets chest.

It's a lot easier to kick an AFL ball accurately than it is a round ball, once they're both kicked correctly.

And as Xavi says, Fev is great. He's been off the beer all year and he nearly kicked 100 goals, playing in a very average team.

yeah my comments were a little tongue in cheek. Of course you're right in AFL a player can stroll unchallenged for ages with his head up looking for the right man. I was really talking about shot on goal accuracy where I saw teams in the AFL throw away games with their bad kicking... but this can happen in any field sport.
    I was interested to hear ex rugby international Trevor Brennans comments this week: Trevor is coaching the irish team on the tackle, and reckoned the game is 80% in favor of the Aussies! Besides the usual ones, another point he made was that being able to carry the ball in hand further has been a huge advantage to the Aussies and the Irish were not taking advantage of it... this is a very good point.

Well to be fair that's just bad management on the part of the Irish for not having their players up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

hopefully it will be a better game than the game in croker ... although i got my tickets last night so im going anyway ..... :D

Sydney Morning Herald says both teams are to be announced tomorrow (Wednesday).

• Advertisement

Well Campbell Brown is definitely in once again and he's looking forward to it -

http://afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=68748
    Brown talks tough but fair

By Catherine Murphy

3:09 PM Tue 07 October, 2008

HAWTHORN’S Campbell Brown said that the Australian International Rules team will play a “tough game within the rules” when they come up against the Irish in this month’s two test series in Perth and Melbourne.

The 2007 series was cancelled by the Irish Gaelic Athletic Association due to the violent scenes which marred the hybrid matches in 2006.

“We’re going to play a hard tough game within the rules and hopefully that will be good enough to win the series,” Brown said.

“You’ve got to be competitive and hard at it but within the spirit of the game -- especially playing [international rules] because we want to represent our country well.”

The Australian team that will face the Irish will be named tomorrow morning at the Lexus centre by coach Mick Malthouse.

Brown is a certain starter but despite having played much of this season in the forward line for the Hawks, the premiership player said that he isn’t fussed over what area of the field Malthouse decides to play him in.

“I’ll play wherever they want me to. It’s a great honour to represent your country in any form of sport so when the offer came I certainly put my hand up. I can’t wait.”

The 25-year-old was emphatic in his endorsement of the resumption of the hybrid game.

“For me it’s an enormous privilege. I’ll always make myself available to play this series because I love it and you make great friendships from it. I’m glad it’s back on the agenda.”

Class player

Advertisement