Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airsofters Club

Options
  • 22-09-2008 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭

I have been thinking about this for a while now, if a local airsoft club was set up, not a skirmish site but a club for members with a small woodland area. would you pay a membership fee to join. there would be no daily cost for members, no rentals things like that. a non profit organisation, i'd like to get some genuine feedback on this.

Would you pay a membership fee to join an airsoft club 32 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    62%
    [--SC(+)PE--]tonkyCraveTiggerJimbobak47PudingChuck the Bucksuper ninjaHarakkaMAD OzzieHead_HunterAyrtonf7MacAonghusaStone.coldprivate.GDread-LockDa WenchStevo LaadMr B. WoosterJules.Winnfield 20 votes
    Un-decided
    37%
    ShivaJonAndertoniceagecpbpenguin-o7amaughanAssdaz801DisasterIRLsean.carolan100LordinquisitorRaider32 12 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭seamus-2k7

i don't know yet, what exectly are you offering customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Stone.cold

No
    seamus-2k7 wrote: »
    i don't know yet, what exectly are you offering customers?
    At the moment its just an idea basically it would be a club like any other, a small woodland area where they can come on the weekends and practise, try out new gear and eventually we would be running regular competitions we would also head to other sites for skirmish's or big events

Stone.cold wrote: »
    At the moment its just an idea basically it would be a club like any other, a small woodland area where they can come on the weekends and practise, try out new gear and eventually we would be running regular competitions we would also head to other sites for skirmish's or big events

well i dont see the point. Although at a site i have to pay, I still get to skirmish with 40 or so other people. I can try out my gear at home or at a skirmish site. I can entre competions with my team especialy with this IPAL thing.
    I dont mean to put down your idea, i just want to find out more about it.

No
    well i dont see the point. Although at a site i have to pay, I still get to skirmish with 40 or so other people. I can try out my gear at home or at a skirmish site. I can entre competions with my team especialy with this IPAL thing.
    I dont mean to put down your idea, i just want to find out more about it.
    no mate thats the idea i want feed back from airsofters, basically where im from there is not many sites in the general area it means a long trip to a site, not everyone has the money to go out every weekend or every second weekend. this way you can go out for an hr or for the whole day with even if funds dont allow it

no mate thats the idea i want feed back from airsofters, basically where im from there is not many sites in the general area it means a long trip to a site, not everyone has the money to go out every weekend or every second weekend. this way you can go out for an hr or for the whole day with even if funds dont allow it

Fair point, I'm fortunate, I have access to a few sites. I hope it goes well for you.

• Advertisement

No
    Fair point, I'm fortunate, I have access to a few sites. I hope it goes well for you.
    time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭tonky

No
    Sounds like a plan. I can't understand why clubs haven't been formed around the place already. It's not like paintball (team based), we have our own gear and equipment all that's needed is a club venue catering for all types, players, plinkers, collectors etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Would you have insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭MAD Ozzie

No
    At Cork Airsoft Club we will be lookin at a years membership fee for next year.
    Like a gym membership?? Would work out less that 10 euro a Day.

Thats to pay the insurance and to better the site for us all.

So its a good idea. ;)

No
    tonky wrote: »
    Sounds like a plan. I can't understand why clubs haven't been formed around the place already. It's not like paintball (team based), we have our own gear and equipment all that's needed is a club venue catering for all types, players, plinkers, collectors etc...
    tonky thats exactly what were trying to achieve. a few of my friends and myself would love to be able to play every sat & sun, but the drive to fingal, HRTA, G-TAC etc., is a bit much every weekend. I have met individuals that collect airsoft they dont skirmish but would love a legal place to plink since the back garden is no longer the best place to be doing it

• Advertisement

No
    gerrowadat wrote: »
    Would you have insurance?
    Yes 110% would never dream of running anything without adequate insurance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭JonAnderton

Un-decided
    sounds a great idea..beats the kitchen..

There's an archery club near me that has an agreement with the local pistol club to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

No
    I have to say I'm a bit surprised that there hasn't been more comments left here, or that something like this hasn't been done before.

A big problem that I have at the moment with airsoft (not the sport but the logistics) is that I've to drive 2 hours to Dublin or two hours to Galway (or God knows how long to Cork) if I want to play, not to mention people from the south east or south midlands where the sites are even further away.

If I was in the Dublin area I could go to Fingal, HRTA, Drogheda, The Warehouse or Gorse Hill when they open every saturday and sunday. But since I don't then I can only really justify the 4 hour round trip to Fingal (which would be the closest site to me) once, maybe twice a month.

If I understand what Stone Cold is talking about here correctly it could cause a major boost to airsoft in Ireland. It would give areas without any sites (and I'm talking within 1-1.5 hour drive) a place to skirmish a few days of the month and maybe organise transport (carpool?) to a commercial site every other weekend. I wouldn't see it as competition to the current commercial sites, in fact it could increase the numbers visiting them. If you had say 10 people in a club the chances are that they would decide to head to one of the commercial sites 2, 3 or even 4 times a month but if they were on their own they may only go once a month.

I can understand what seamus-2k7 says about getting to skirmish with 40+ players at a commercial site. I've experienced that in Fingal and it was fantastic, but I've also experienced the other side of the coin where I've been charged €25 at a site to play against 3 other players - fine in a club but a bit of a rip off from a commercial site. I've no problem paying whatever it would be to join a club if it's only going to be to cover rent and insurance and if I get to have a bit of a say in how the place is run.

No
    Ok so here’s some more insight into my idea: if you were to skirmish every sat & sun for a year approx cost €2600, given one bottle of bb’s @ €10 per weekend €520, fuel costs travelling to and from sites (from the midlands) approx €1,040 p.y. Giving you a grand total without any other expense €4,160. (Better not let the missus see this).

An Airsoft club with a membership fee, hopefully a deal with a supplier or retailer to bulk buy bb’s and sell them back to the members at cost price, land to have a good game on and as chuck rightly said a car pool so when travelling to other large sites your fuel cost would be considerably lower, not forgetting the players that don’t have cars and rely on public transport to commute to sites, (personally I would'nt relish sitting on a bus for 2/3 hrs and carrying all my equipment with me to get to my destination) All this rolled together your saving a couple of grand in a year if you’re a dedicated airsofter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

No
    MAD Ozzie wrote: »
    At Cork Airsoft Club we will be lookin at a years membership fee for next year.
    Like a gym membership?? Would work out less that 10 euro a Day.

Thats to pay the insurance and to better the site for us all.

So its a good idea. ;)

10 euros a day?

there are a lot of days in a year

do you mean a week?

No
    Tigger wrote: »
    10 euros a day?

there are a lot of days in a year

do you mean a week?
    If ozzie is doin the maths the same as me it refers to a weekend ie: €10 for sat €10 for sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

No
    If ozzie is doin the maths the same as me it refers to a weekend ie: €10 for sat €10 for sunday.

id gladly pay €500 to have a way of skirmishing in sligo but a grand seems a lot and lots of airsofters cant afford that sorta money

No
    Tigger wrote: »
    id gladly pay €500 to have a way of skirmishing in sligo but a grand seems a lot and lots of airsofters cant afford that sorta money
    well if the idea does take off, you wouldnt be talking anything like a grand i wouldnt pay that and i would expect anyone else too,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

No
    Maybe a 6month membership thing to start off with would be a good idea, save the major hit on the auld finances! Anyway if you got a few people involved and its not-for-profit then it shouldn't be anywhere near €500 for the year. It would of course depend on insurance and rent.

No
    Maybe a 6month membership thing to start off with would be a good idea, save the major hit on the auld finances! Anyway if you got a few people involved and its not-for-profit then it shouldn't be anywhere near €500 for the year. It would of course depend on insurance and rent.
    well like any club it may not be what the individual is looking for, my original thinkin was 3,6 or a year membership.

can i just say thanks to the people that replied to this, thank you! as this is not the norm in ireland at the present time i appreciate any and all input.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Sounds a good idea, the club/team Frag are a prime example of how a team/community/club can flourish to extreme lengths.

Even having a club, with a membership card...could be handy should you ever have a knock on the door from the brass.

I think this came up a few months ago, guys arranging a club, all chipping in, then renting buses to sites for the weekend etc etc etc

Dont know how it got on, but sounds like a plan alright.

No
    i see the poll is climbing, what i would like is anyone that has voted No to maybe tell us why you dont think its a good idea, negative and positive posts will only help us achieve or goal and provide exactly what the airsoft community is looking for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

Un-decided
    i see the poll is climbing, what i would like is anyone that has voted No to maybe tell us why you dont think its a good idea, negative and positive posts will only help us achieve or goal and provide exactly what the airsoft community is looking for

Well.....

You didnt actually ask in the poll if forming a club was a good idea or not - you just asked if people would pay to join a club. I answered no because I barely have the time to get out to skirmish twice a month in the evenings as it is, so it'd be a waste of time and money for me.

It was explained more fully in the comments posted after I voted, but I still wouldn't change my vote, for the same reason above - but its a good idea and it'd be nice to see things like that happening all over the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭cpb

Un-decided
    Problem I see with paying membership is if you dont play or can't play it works out very expensive. A nominal fee might be ok but a large fee up front is just not worth it to alot of people.

No
    Shiva wrote: »
    Well.....

You didnt actually ask in the poll if forming a club was a good idea or not - you just asked if people would pay to join a club. I answered no because I barely have the time to get out to skirmish twice a month in the evenings as it is, so it'd be a waste of time and money for me.

It was explained more fully in the comments posted after I voted, but I still wouldn't change my vote, for the same reason above - but its a good idea and it'd be nice to see things like that happening all over the country.
    thanks shiva, i could possible have worded that better, what i meant was feed back on why someone wouldnt pay to join a club, on your point, that is one of the reasons why we decided to keep the membership fee down if it does go ahead cause not everone can turn up all the time, but there would be other advantages to being a member.

cpb: i hope this answers your post also

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I think the idea of a club would be appealing to those without access to a loca skirmish site. Where travelling to a site can be a lonesome and expensive trek.

Even forming a carpool for your club can help, getting people to know each other, cutting the price on cost of travel and having a good day out.

I think the main benefit of a club will be the travel, everyone should all have their own kit, if not sites can rent out. alos the price of skirmish sites is relatively low as it is.

Even form a club with no fee, but arrange carpools, is a start for people who cant regulary skirmish.

No
    I think the idea of a club would be appealing to those without access to a loca skirmish site. Where travelling to a site can be a lonesome and expensive trek.

Even forming a carpool for your club can help, getting people to know each other, cutting the price on cost of travel and having a good day out.

I think the main benefit of a club will be the travel, everyone should all have their own kit, if not sites can rent out. alos the price of skirmish sites is relatively low as it is.

Even form a club with no fee, but arrange carpools, is a start for people who cant regulary skirmish.
    Doc we intend on having a small woodland site for members so for rent and insurance, also ID cards for members, a membership fee would go towards all of that, if it were a club without land then yes no fee would be appropriate

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

Un-decided
    I would be very very interested in seeing a car pool starting up as at the moment to get to a site like fingal I have to pay upwards of €10 as well as close to 2 hours worth of travel.

No
    I would be very very interested in seeing a car pool starting up as at the moment to get to a site like fingal I have to pay upwards of €10 as well as close to 2 hours worth of travel.
    what part of Dublin r u in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

Un-decided
    Cabraish( aka Navan Road)

5 mins from the halfway house if you know the area.

Advertisement