Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Final 2008 - All posts here

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hawthorn Hawks
    Cats up by 1 at quarter time 33-32.

Excellent game so far.

Hawthorn Hawks
    Hawks ahead at the half 51-48

Cam Mooney just missed from right in front on the siren. Tom Harley seriously concussed and gone off while the Hawks have their own injury worries and the inaffective Sam Mitchell has been placed on report for a hard hit on Ablett.

Very good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Getting nervous now, alot of posession football with 12 min to go. Hawks not getting out og teir half easy. Still up by 15. Come on Rioli!

Hawthorn Hawks
    Well what a fantastic contest that was!

Hawks fully deserved the win. Delighted for Luke Hodge winning the Norm Smith Medal. If a player from Hawthorn was going to win it before the game then it was gonna be him. He was everywhere.

Absolutely delighted for Shane Crawford. You could see how much it meant to him during the presentation.

The Cats were good in patches but just too erratic in front of goal and Hawthorn defended superbly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Hawthorn Hawks
    It was a great game and I'm delighted for Hawthorn. they played a great game and had far more emphasis on tactis and gameplans than Geelong. Geelong tried rely on the same style of paly, and had no plan B. hawthorn were well drilled, and this was evidenced by the fact they gave away over 10 rushed behinds, they were not going to waste the ball and give geelong a chance to get a goal on them. Hodge was superb, great determination. the comms on 7 thought the defining moment was Rioli winning that hard ball by the sideline, and its hard not to agree, he was immense today too. It showed the charecter of Hawthorn, a good tough side able to mix it. Well done to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I thought beforehand that Hawthorn may sneak this one, but as it turned out it was Geelong that lost it with their missed chances. At least according to the reports (I didnt see the match yet, will catch the highlights this week):

The scores were:

HAWTHORN 5.2 8.3 14.5 18.7 - 115
    GEELONG 5.3 6.12 9.18 11.23 - 89

A huge number of missed goals by Geelong with 23, compared with Hawks 7. The Age called it: "Hawthorn pulls off grand final heist".

Hawthorn has pulled off a remarkable and unlikely premiership triumph, defeating a dreadfully inaccurate Geelong by 26 points.

Well done to both Hawthorn and Geelong. Clearly they were the better teams this season, fully deserving their grand final berths, and both clubs would be worthy of taking the premiership.

Overall, a good season, if a bit inevitable and without shocks towards the end.

Redspider

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

Just seen the replay on Setanta - exciting game that could have gone either way until almost the end of the final quarter. Geelong were just a bit under par but threw the game away in the second quarter with inaccuracy on goal - I suspect that if they had managed a 20 point lead at half time, the Hawks would have been on the back foot and not been able to pick up the momentum. But Hawthorn rose to the occasion, while for the Cats it was just a game too far.

An excellent season for the Cats (who I consider to be my team on the basis of having friends who live in Geelong) - will they be able to keep their top position in the ladder next season, I wonder.

Hawthorn Hawks
    redspider wrote: »
    A huge number of missed goals by Geelong with 23, compared with Hawks 7.

To be fair though, at least 8 of those 23 singles were due to rush behinds from Hawthorn.

Hawthorn Hawks
    Great game, really enjoyed it. Fair play to Hawthorn.

Geelong shot themselves in the foot with far far too many singles especially the one at the very end of the 2nd quarter, shocking miss. Geelong had more scores but there was such a vast gap in goals scored. Hawthorn won because they took their chances when they had them (and scored some super super goals)

I'm new to the Aussie Rules game, is conceding singles a very common occurance in the AFL?

I'm definitely gonna follow this closely next season. Great stuff.

Hawthorn Hawks
    I'm new to the Aussie Rules game, is conceding singles a very common occurance in the AFL?

Yeah it beats conceding a six point goal by loosing the ball.

There was big complaints about it earlier on in the year when A Richmond player did it three times in the space of a minute so his team didn't give up possession and would win the game.
    I'm definitely gonna follow this closely next season. Great stuff.

Who you gonna follow?

• Advertisement

Hawthorn Hawks
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Yeah it beats conceding a six point goal by loosing the ball.

There was big complaints about it earlier on in the year when A Richmond player did it three times in the space of a minute so his team didn't give up possession and would win the game.
    I've seen it before but I noticed it a lot more this morning. It makes sense but Id have thought it would be discouraged.

Hmmm sounds like poor form tbh. Maybe they could make the rule that if its conceded then it counts for more than if scored to discourage it?

Xavi6 wrote:
    Who you gonna follow?

I dunno, good time for ya to sell the West Coast Eagles to me and I'll go with them! :pac:

Hawthorn Hawks
    Lol well two years ago we were the best team in the AFL but we lost a lot of stars. The team is very young now but there's some serious talent. Give it two or three years of transition and we'll be back up there.

Might as well go all out and be an Eagle with everything! :D

Hawthorn Hawks
    Hmmm well the Eagle part is pretty much what had me on that buzz in the 1st place!! Ill look into it...but I'm likely to join the bandwagon!

PS - who are u supportin in the Comprimise Rules as a matter of ineterest?

Hawthorn Hawks
    Oh Australia most definitely. Have the jersey and all (see the International Rules thread on the Aussie team).

I feckin hate the GAA and AFL is a much better sport.

Hawthorn Hawks
    Oh Australia most definitely. Have the jersey and all (see the International Rules thread on the Aussie team).

I feckin hate the GAA and AFL is a much better sport.

Boo-urns! Btw one last question on the west coast eagles.....do they have an anti semetic element in their support? I could never support such a team! :pac:

Is that the AFL done now besides the Intn'l Rules or is there any other comps to finish?

Hawthorn Hawks
    Lol

Yeah all done and dusted til March apart from the International Rules. Gonna be a ghost town around here! You'll have to do some reading over the off season so you join the Fantasy Football for 2009!

Hawthorn Hawks
    Yea ill start by learning the rulebook!! Then Ill get to know players names so i know more than just Cris Judd!

Ill go educate myself! Remind me about that fantasy footy, I'll be the hilarious whipping boy!!

In the meantime....COME ON IRELAND!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

Gonna be a ghost town around here! You'll have to do some reading over the off season so you join the Fantasy Football for 2009!

Oh yeah....so how did the fantasy league finish up in the end? ?:pac::pac::pac:

Hawthorn Hawks
    Ehhhhhhh no comment! :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Hawthorn Hawks
    Ehhhhhhh no comment! :p

well at least an Eagles fan won anyway Xavi! It was a fair old battle ye guys had for second spot with the 3 of ye within a few points of each other. I finished in the top 500 overall too which wasnt too bad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement