Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do ye drink with yore ma?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Zaph wrote: »
    Huh? :confused::confused:

What she's the only one???? NOOOOOOOoOoooooOOOooooooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Well yes but she doesn't know that. Although I did come home steamed one time and she punched me a few times. (bint).
    Eh she just has a severe hatred for alcohol, you must know some people like that?

1.gif Thinks / nope.
    Seriously now that you ask l really don't, but l have never abused alcohol or hung around with people who did. So maybe thats why l have never come across anyone with a hatred for it.:)

EDIT: maybe Never is stretching it a bit. There was that night......

I have met one or two people who's mothers have had a similar attitude to booze in fairness, but its rare enough I guess.

Maybe lf someone doesn't drink , they find it hard to understand those who do.

That and the alcholics in our family drink themselves to death.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

I have met one or two people who's mothers have had a similar attitude to booze in fairness, but its rare enough I guess.

My mom's pretty vehemently against alcohol. She'd never punch us or anything though. It stems from her having an alcoholic father and having been married to an alcoholic and seeing what alcohol can do to people and families.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Yep, as a non-smoker I fail to see the attraction of smoking, yet millions of people do it. I'm sure it's the same with many non-drinkers.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Apart from drinks on family occasions and the odd glass of wine with dinner, no. However, the last time I visited my sister in England we went out and one of her friends brought her mother along. I found it a bit strange to be honest, her mum was all fake tanned and in skinny jeans and a low-cut top, my sister says that her friend and her mum often go out together and even go on the pull (!!!) together. My parents are still together, but if they weren't I still couldn't imagine going out on the pull with my mum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

gcgirl wrote: »
    my ma would drink any of yore ma's under the table:D
    Into watersports, is she?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Originally Posted by gcgirl
    my ma would drink any of yore ma's under the table
    What's wrong with sitting in a chair ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Can't believe nobody has said this yet.

Yore ma prefers us both sober :pac:

ok back on topic.. neither of us drink (really) - she gets legless after a glass of wine (oh how i've lol'd) and most i'll ever have at family occasions is a glass or two of wine..

Can't believe nobody has said this yet.

Yore ma prefers us both sober :pac:

ok back on topic.. neither of us drink (really) - she gets legless after a glass of wine (oh how i've lol'd) and most i'll ever have at family occasions is a glass or two of wine..

WTF you shouldn't be drinking! *calls guards*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

God no. Never ever ever. My mam doesn't drink but I'd never even dare drink in front of her. She'd just look at me disapprovingly and judge me forever.

She disapproves of me drinking generally anyway so drinking with her is a never. Crazy woman...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

WTF you shouldn't be drinking! *calls guards*

gtfo :p

latchyco wrote: »
    What's wrong with sitting in a chair ? :D

Or even on one.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

My mother generally gives out to myself and my sister when we go out drinking, so I highly doubt we'll ever go out drinking together!

Having said that, she was completely hungover today after last night, and I was perfectly fine this morning even though I got home after her! She doesn't even remember getting my dad to answer the door at half 3 in the morning after I rang the doorbell because the woman managed to completely lock me out of the house. (My key wouldn't work because she left hers in the keyhole inside.)

Basically, mother = hypocrite over drinking and also mother = a huge embarrassment when drinking, as proven by photos, so I will never go drinking with her.

gtfo :p

Not til you're locked up! You'll make a pretty jail bride. :D

Janey, pics pls!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Or even on one.:D:D
    Yeah, on one would be even better .

Put my foot through the seat of that one :D

latchyco wrote: »
    Yeah, on one would be even better .

Put my foot through the seat of that one :D

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I used often go out for a few drinks with my Dad, or both my parents, not on the lash tho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

My mother is awesome.

I'll get pissed with her, drink a glass with her in the evenings, whatever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I drink and drive in my Atari Jaguar.

Oh well, back on topic... I wish I could have a drink with her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Well, we've been fairly drunk together and would have a glass of wine or vofka and coke if we're watching a film or something. Generally when we're drunk together we're on holidays with my aunt and granny and we're all having a few (getting memories of my aunt and I doing karaoke in Tenerife and the barmen giving everyone toilet paper to put in their ears!). Can't say I've been out on the lash per se but I have been to late bars etc whilst on hols.

There was this one time when I was about 19 and living at home that I bought a nagin of vodka at the supermarket as I had a party coming up in a week or two where we were going to make cocktails. My contribution was the vodka. I went to get it from the drinks cabinet and it was 3/4 gone. My mum had partaken of a few drinks one night .... she had to run out and get me another one. Serves me right for putting it in the drinks cabinet!

• Subscribers Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭girl_friday

In my limited experience with this sort of thing, I've noticed it generally happens between mothers and children that have a good age gap, (like 30+) and usually the child is the youngest of the family, and they are all a bit more chummy.

I'm the oldest in my family and my mum was quite young when she had me and we drink together when I visit. We stay at home because due to a bad breakup with my ex I can't go to the local pubs/clubs :( but yeah, we get drunk... I do however always make sure that she drinks more/gets drunker than I do... Seems disrespectful otherwise. :eek: Know its sneaky but she's not the easiest person to talk to sober at times so I've often taken advantage of her drunken state to tell her things!! :D

My dad doesn't drink... He used to think we were mad even having wine with dinner. There is alcoholism in his family and he sees it as a slippery slope!! However with time (and the realisation that he had no control on his wife and eldest daughter!!) he has come around to the idea that we can drink in the house without being alcoholics!! He does however tend to go up to the room to watch tv in peace once the first bottle of wine is finished!! He knows where his tolerence ends I guess!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

no i'd rather stick pins in my eyes than have anything to do with my mother in a situation with alcohol involved. she frowns upon it, i wouldn't be able to relax and we don't have that type of relationship anyway where i'd want to have anything to do with her socially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

I'm actually shocked, how many people are saying no here! I love drinking with my Mam, she's great fun with a few drinks on, and could drink me under the table any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Neither of my parentals drink so that'd be a no. I'd love to see them both pissed just once for the laugh though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I hope my kids would give me drugs :(

I have been drunk many a time with my Ma. She'll drink to an opening of a cereal box, but often doesn't want to suffer the stigma of drinking on her own, so she grabs me and plys me with wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Neither of my parentals drink so that'd be a no. I'd love to see them both pissed just once for the laugh though.

It's entertaining alright. I've only seen my dad drunk once, and it was highly entertaining. We still mock him over it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

WindSock wrote: »
    She'll drink to an opening of a cereal box
    Lolz. Great line!

Advertisement