Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RFID embedded Euro notes are used to secretly track unauthorized quantities of cash

Options
2»

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

A container made of a conductor, such as wire mesh or metal plates, shielding what it encloses from external electric fields. Since the conductor is an equipotential, there are no potential differences inside the container. Faraday cages are named after physicist Michael Faraday, who built one in 1836.
    So, why would lead make a particularly good one?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

You obviously haven't bothered to read the following directive from the ECU. http://www.win.tue.nl/~aserebre/2IF03/presentations/Ari2.ppt
    Do you have a link that isn't a power point presentation from a university student? There's nothing about an EU directive in there.
    A container made of a conductor, such as wire mesh or metal plates, shielding what it encloses from external electric fields. Since the conductor is an equipotential, there are no potential differences inside the container. Faraday cages are named after physicist Michael Faraday, who built one in 1836.
    Congratulations, you can copy and paste.
    http://books.google.ie/books?id=yKUagx8PB_EC&pg=PA226&lpg=PA226&dq=A+container+made+of+a+conductor,+such+as+wire+mesh+or+metal+plates,+shielding+what+it+encloses+from+external+electric+fields.&source=web&ots=KZjlQ6xNQ2&sig=NcXObFM-EMSJyOoTLh9OZS9Hs8Q&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Do you have a link that isn't a power point presentation from a university student? There's nothing about an EU directive in there.
    Did you bother to read any of the reference links in that article?
    TBH I couldn't care less if the Euro bank note was chipped or not, but I can say for certain that any follow up to this currency be the card will have its mark.

Did you bother to read any of the reference links in that article?

The one that links to a 7 year old article (before the euro was introduced) about the ECB working on RFID embeded money. Thats not a "directive from the ECU" and its not proof that there is RFID money in circulation.

The one that links to a 7 year old article (before the euro was introduced) about the ECB working on RFID embeded money. Thats not a "directive from the ECU" and its not proof that there is RFID money in circulation.
    7 Years ago they did not have the technology to embed notes :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ok...

What point are you making?

Ok...

What point are you making?

I would suppose the only way to settle this arguments is for someone to get the real thing and find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I would suppose the only way to settle this arguments is for someone to get the real thing and find out.
    Bags it's you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I didn't say that I suspected you couldn't offer a definition of what one is (which you've apparently copy-and-pasted).

It is your assertion that lead would be "the most effective" that led to my comment. If you understood the science behind Faraday cages, you'd understand why that claim is less then credible (putting it charitably).
    To summarise again, these chips are produced at less than 7c a pop, they have been used in millions of applications to date including important documents and once off admission tickets. I can see no reason why they are not used in bank notes.

The cost of such chips is irrelevant. The known uses of such chips are irrelevant. If someone wants to alledge that such chips are being used in money, then in order to take such claims seriously would expect two simple things...details of the test(s) performed to obtain evidence, and a summary of what evidence one would find, were one to perform the same test oneself.

No-one who has ever suspected that they are being used has ever offered physical proof and details on how they carried out their tests, despite the fact that were RFID chips being used in money such proof would be relatively simple and relatively cheap to come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Tinfoil would drive metal detectors crazy :eek:

So would lead. It is, after all, a metal.
    TBH I couldn't care less if the Euro bank note was chipped or not,

This is, of course, why you started a thread to ask if it was true or not, and then started getting defensive when you were told its a load of cobblers.

• Advertisement

bonkey wrote: »
    This is, of course, why you started a thread to ask if it was true or not, and then started getting defensive when you were told its a load of cobblers.
    May be a load of cobblers but the technology is here to make it happen that was unavailible three years ago.

When I think of it why should the ECB bother to go to such an extent of e_tagging paper when people are being encouraged even more so than ever to switch over to the EFT which is in itsellf the ultimate form of tracking people and money.

Advertisement