Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100% Irish Taxi Drivers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I've a customer who told me a funny story recently...

Him, his gf and another 2 couples ordered a taxi from Drogheda to Vicar Street in Dublin to see a gig. Along comes the taxi, a guy with no English driving it, but he had a GPS gadget on the dash. They are all chatting away with each other, it was cold outside and the windows steamed up with a car full of people all yapping. Anyway, after a while they notice they are driving through the Curragh in Kildare. Your man was bringing them to Vicar Street in Limerick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

All weekend and I haven't seen one of these stickers..

Me thinks there's a journo making up stories and inciting race hate ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Does any one actually think that sat nav will get you anywhere, by the shortest route?

Usually, when it's used correctly.

It's far better than driving around housing estates in the dark trying to find a particular road/estate etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I've a customer who told me a funny story recently...

Him, his gf and another 2 couples ordered a taxi from Drogheda to Vicar Street in Dublin to see a gig. Along comes the taxi, a guy with no English driving it, but he had a GPS gadget on the dash. They are all chatting away with each other, it was cold outside and the windows steamed up with a car full of people all yapping. Anyway, after a while they notice they are driving through the Curragh in Kildare. Your man was bringing them to Vicar Street in Limerick!

Jaysus that was a nice fare!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    ..........and can hold a conversation.

Aye:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

re the use of sat navs
    i heard that in galway the sat navs are nearly useless to those drivers who dont know their way off hand .as the irish names for alot of areas is confusing to not only the drivers but the sat nav aswell .
    a good taxi driver should,nt need to use a sat nav or be getting instructions over their mobile as they drive .thats the whole problem here
    too many untrained people being allowed to get out on the streets as supposed taxi drivers .
    the present psv test is a joke and even some counties dont have a test .
    the one here in dublin can be passed very easly by paying a [training school;)]280e and all is needed is to parrot off the stuff on the four a4 pages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

It's an absofcukinloutely brilliant idea! Now I can tell which is the one driven by the opinionated racist overcharging prick, and can go with the quiet hardworking foreigner who has no interest in talking to me!

Foreign drivers work harder?

How? They drive the car with more effort or something?

Do tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Oh no the poll results are going for the immigrants, guess the p.c crowd have arrived en masse. Ask most irish people and i bet over 85% would go for irish drivers. Suport your own people espically with a recession coming not these immigrants who will either over charge you or cant speak english. If i ever see a non irish taxi driver first in line in the taxi rank i skip him and so on until i find a irish taxi driver, once a non national driver followed me and said i cant do that, well i said ill do what i want and ill support my fellow countryman over you anytime.

How on earth can you identify a non-Irish taxi driver by looking at them?

Do you have some magic sense that distinguishes Irish people from English, French, Kiwis, Aussies, Polish, Romanian?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

MOH wrote: »
    How on earth can you identify a non-Irish taxi driver by looking at them?

Do you have some magic sense that distinguishes Irish people from English, French, Kiwis, Aussies, Polish, Romanian?

Oh, thats funny...

Bwahahahahaha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Would people not get in a taxi if they heard an English accent on the driver?

Or do they have to be black?

I just love getting a good driver, I don't do the 'busy tonight?' sh!te but I love when you get a driver you can have a chat with.

Personally, I prefer getting into a taxi with a local, by which I mean a Dub. Good chance you can chat about the Eircom League, some poxy construction going on, the local pub or whatever else. I'd never not get into a taxi because of the driver but. IF the eejit didn't know where he was going/was making a haims of the job I would want my money back, but that applies to any driver, if he/she's 100 or 0% Dub won't matter when I'm on the phone to their boss!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭jaycen

Irish only I'm afraid, far too many attempted overcharges for me to ever trust a foreign driver again, yes I know how that sounds but that's what I've experienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

jaycen wrote: »
    Irish only I'm afraid, far too many attempted overcharges for me to ever trust a foreign driver again, yes I know how that sounds but that's what I've experienced.

It's a good thing that kind of skullduggery is limited to foreign drivers.

It's a good thing that kind of skullduggery is limited to foreign drivers.

I'm only speaking from my own experiences, shocking as it may sound but a local driver hasn't tried to rip me off (that I know of) but this year alone 4 'foreign' drivers have, 3 over charging (meter already up when I got in - I said nothing until I was about to pay, then asked, helps to know how much it should be), 1 hadn't a clue where he was going, tried to charge me for his taking the wrong route.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

When is this selective process meant to happen anyway?

it's late at night and it's raining and you want a taxi, you're going to eagle eye the thing for one of these stickers? you have people waving at private cars thinking they're taxis. As if anyone could give a sh|te once the thing pulls up for you.

same at a rank, you're queueing up, you're next. The car for you is a non national driver. "Oh no you're grand I'll get the next one". yeah right, in ya get, tell them where you're going and off you go happy to be on your way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭marknoonan1974

Once they know where they are going is all that matters, I got a Dublin lad last year that did not know where Merrion Sqaure was!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I've had a couple of really really bad experiences with foreign taxi drivers-one even locked me in his car and gave me a smack, and the worst thats happened with an irish driver is overcharging. To be honest i don't think race is any factor in choosing a taxi driver you learn from all experiences and use a bit of common sense, like texting the taxi number, giving directions to where you're going, knowing how much the fare should range from, ie depending on traffic etc my fare from town to home would be between 12-15 euro, i wouldn't pay more than that. I do see why people prefer irish drivers, its the same as going for anything irish, there is a sense of security in what you know

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

jaycen wrote: »
    I'm only speaking from my own experiences, shocking as it may sound but a local driver hasn't tried to rip me off (that I know of) but this year alone 4 'foreign' drivers have, 3 over charging (meter already up when I got in - I said nothing until I was about to pay, then asked, helps to know how much it should be), 1 hadn't a clue where he was going, tried to charge me for his taking the wrong route.

Same thing happened to me except drivers were Irish, should I avoid irish drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I've had both good and bad experiences with Irish and foreign taxi's. Personally I'd prefer foreign drivers if I had to choose they don't pretend to know how to run the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Conbro

I tried to defend the Nigerian taxi drivers in an arguement with a friend. His response was "How many black men have won the Formula 1 Championship?". He won the arguement obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

LolaDub wrote: »
    I've had a couple of really really bad experiences with foreign taxi drivers-one even locked me in his car and gave me a smack, and the worst thats happened with an irish driver is overcharging.

you're havin' a laugh?

• Advertisement

No twas a long story, got taxi home with a friend who was first out, i had told driver when i got into the taxi that i only had a fifty he said it was fine but when i tried to pay with the fifty he said he had no change and wanted me to go to my apartment to get change while he kept my handbag or he wanted to come with me. I just said no you told me you had change, he was quite a bit man and a bit menacing so i didn't feel at all comfortable. Anyhow he locked the doors and sped off with me screaming in the back and he started shouting he was going for change then hit the mobile out of my hand when i tried to get it out to call someone. Stopped at a chipper and he got out, me still locked in car, he got back quicker than i could get out and drove back to mine where i paid and he then started saying he was coming up with me. He wasn't taking no for an answer and the doors were still locked. I got a bit hysterical at that stage and he decided i'd be quieter with a few digs. Aftr the third or fourth slap i started hitting and kiccking everything near me and eventually got out of the taxi. Twas quite the unnerving taxi driver experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

No twas a long story, got taxi home with a friend who was first out, i had told driver when i got into the taxi that i only had a fifty he said it was fine but when i tried to pay with the fifty he said he had no change and wanted me to go to my apartment to get change while he kept my handbag or he wanted to come with me. I just said no you told me you had change, he was quite a bit man and a bit menacing so i didn't feel at all comfortable. Anyhow he locked the doors and sped off with me screaming in the back and he started shouting he was going for change then hit the mobile out of my hand when i tried to get it out to call someone. Stopped at a chipper and he got out, me still locked in car, he got back quicker than i could get out and drove back to mine where i paid and he then started saying he was coming up with me. He wasn't taking no for an answer and the doors were still locked. I got a bit hysterical at that stage and he decided i'd be quieter with a few digs. Aftr the third or fourth slap i started hitting and kiccking everything near me and eventually got out of the taxi. Twas quite the unnerving taxi driver experience.

I hope you went to the police and reported it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Err, if this is true then, did you call the Gardai? False Imprisonment & Assault spring to mind here.....

Reported it to the taxi regulator. My friend had taken the taxi number-we always take them and text them to the others in our group as a just in case but when they asked her she said she couldn't be sure that she had the right number and they said they'd take the information and get back to us, never did. I was a young un at the time! If it happened now i'd be screaming the place down at the gardai but i guess thats why so many young girls get into trouble, they don't really have their wits about them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

:( sorry for making you elaborate.

Tis alright, probably sounds worse than it was because i was so shocked at the time. I'm sure others have had worse experiences

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me except drivers were Irish, should I avoid irish drivers?

With the hike announced yesterday I'd have to say yes.

Again, in my post I speak from my experiences, not yours, you should report any such behavior to the regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Conbro wrote: »
    I tried to defend the Nigerian taxi drivers in an arguement with a friend. His response was "How many black men have won the Formula 1 Championship?". He won the arguement obviously.

How many Irish men have won it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

MOH wrote: »
    How many Irish men have won it? :confused:

Unfair! All the black men in the world v 3 million or so Irish men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Reported it to the taxi regulator. My friend had taken the taxi number-we always take them and text them to the others in our group as a just in case but when they asked her she said she couldn't be sure that she had the right number and they said they'd take the information and get back to us, never did. I was a young un at the time! If it happened now i'd be screaming the place down at the gardai but i guess thats why so many young girls get into trouble, they don't really have their wits about them

My advice as a taxidriver : you do not go to the regulator with this sort of complaint. The bottom line about the regulator is that they're just a paperpushing quango that has very limited powers in the criminal sphere ( they can gather the info and forward it to the Gardai for further treatment, something you can do a lot better and quicker yourself ) . This sort of issue needs to be dealt with by the Gardai. You don't ring the county council road department when there's an accident either, you ring the Gardai, the firebrigade and an ambulance.

Advertisement