Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100% Irish Taxi Drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Pete4779 wrote: »
    I got a taxi at the top of the queue at Connolly a few weeks ago. I don't have a problem with wherever somebody is from or their race but

a) the cab stank
    b) he tried to take me on a route i knew would cost more
    c) he then tried to justify it by suggesting he knew the roads better .

The above has happened to me several times, each time the driver was Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

OPENROAD wrote: »
    The above has happened to me several times, each time the driver was Irish.

Same here. I've also spent a fair bit of wasted time driving around in circles as the Irish driver struggles to find the location I asked for.

A lot of people presume Irish drivers know the roads inside out and have been doing the job for years which isn't the case. There's lots of Irish people that are new to the taxi game and have the same experience as any non national.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I have only ever gotten a foreign taxi driver twice; the first time the guy hadn't a clue where he was going cos the place wasn't on the satnav so it ended up costing us more cos he was driving around for a while. The second guy did know the area very well but due to a confusion of road names (turns out Kilmacud road lower and lower Kilmacud road are in COMPLETELY different areas) so I was left stranded for a while waiting for him.

Any time I have gotten an Irish taxi driver he has known where he was going, has been friendly and has always left me feeling happy after my night out.

So based on my experiences alone I would prefer Irish taxi drivers, but at the same time I would never avoid a foreign one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Phoned for a taxi, he could not find my location to pick me up, had to talk him in, when he eventually found me and I got in the taxi the meter showed 10 Euro :eek: Now as far as I know this is not legal. The driver was Irish. Should I avoid Irish taxi drivers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭fredzer

Irish drivers all the way for me. Had too many unpleasant experiences with foreign 'drivers'. Stinking cars, no clue where they are going, listening to mobile conversations for duration of the journey. So I try to avoid foreign taxi drivers. I guess the big one would be Irish drivers are at least a bit of craic and do try to make conversation with the punter instead of Ufafu on the mobile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

fredzer wrote: »
    Irish drivers all the way for me. Had too many unpleasant experiences with foreign 'drivers'. Stinking cars, no clue where they are going, listening to mobile conversations for duration of the journey. So I try to avoid foreign taxi drivers. I guess the big one would be Irish drivers are at least a bit of craic and do try to make conversation with the punter instead of Ufafu on the mobile.

Thats made, just had a similar conversation with some mates just now and the very topic of them continuing a conversation (in a language unknown to us).

All the girls in the convo said they tend to avoid foreign drivers now based on personal experiences.

Btw, in town this evening (Dublin) there must have been a few thousend taxi's milling about, I didn't see any sporting these stickers!..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

xzanti wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been done before. I just heard on the wireless, some afternoon talk show, that Irish taxi drivers have started sporting bumper stickers reading “100% Irish” obviously indicating that the driver is Irish as opposed to a foreign national and some people are up in arms saying it’s going to cause discrimination..

What do you guys think of this? One caller on the show made an interesting point saying that we can go into a supermarket and pick a food product with Guaranteed Irish on the label, so is this discrimination against foreign food producers??, i.e. in the same vein we the public should be able to choose guaranteed Irish service providers if we want..

WHO CARES REALLY? I've had far more Irish taxi drivers in my time, loads and loads of complete **** as well I must say.

I have yet to have a rude foreigner drive me around though, I know they are a minority so maybe I have been just lucky.

I don't care where a taxi driver is from.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

One caller on the show made an interesting point saying that we can go into a supermarket and pick a food product with Guaranteed Irish on the label, so is this discrimination against foreign food producers??, i.e. in the same vein we the public should be able to choose guaranteed Irish service providers if we want..
    NeVeR wrote: »
    I dont see a problem with it, Like the guy on the radio said we have Irish products with labels.. Why not taxi's.

The reason we're encouraged to buy Irish products is so that we support the Irish economy. Whether a taxi driver is Irish or African, he's working and living here so you have no reason to discriminate.
    I guess the big one would be Irish drivers are at least a bit of craic and do try to make conversation with the punter instead of Ufafu on the mobile.

Wait, you WANT drivers to prattle on? I just want to get somewhere, not make a new friend. Its people like you that have inflicted dozens of inane conversations on me for the duration of what could have a been a rather pleasant, quiet drive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ac tually the reason we're asked to buy Irish is because globalisation is the devil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭fredzer

Zillah wrote: »
    Wait, you WANT drivers to prattle on? I just want to get somewhere, not make a new friend. Its people like you that have inflicted dozens of inane conversations on me for the duration of what could have a been a rather pleasant, quiet drive.

I'm not a taxi driver first of all. Sitting in silence in an enclosed space with another man isn’t my cup of tea, but you go for it. I'd much prefer to break the journey with a bit of chat. I agree some drivers talk a load of bollox but this is usually were the fun is to be had, wind them up and watch them go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

a lot of people who get taxis don't want a 'bit of craic' with the whiny taxi driver who is being payed to take them home. a lot of people want them to stfu and take them home minus the dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

Zangetsu wrote: »
    Was in a taxi with a french driver last night, he didn't charge us while we loaded a **** load of gear into the car (about 20 mins), we had a great laugh over the show 'Ello Ello' and wierdest thing was he spoke pretty decent irish, better then most of my mates infact!

Twas a good laugh, MUCH better then the irish driver with his small talk about the weather and hasn't a ****in clue where anything is outside of the city center.

And scene ///
    that was,nt a taxi you needed it was a removals firm :D
    the old moonlight flirt was it ?

Has anyone spotted one of these stickers yet?.

I haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

Mairt wrote: »
    Has anyone spotted one of these stickers yet?.

I haven't.
    im a taxi driver here in dublin and was looking out for these stickers last night
    i seen ONE in the whole of the city and surburbs

im a taxi driver here in dublin and was looking out for these stickers last night
    i seen ONE in the whole of the city and surburbs

The scruffy looking little fvcker on the Gresham with the grey Passat?.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Well as long as no ones taking the

www.irishtaxidrivers.com

stickers as racist:eek:

If your driving a taxi in Ireland you're an Irish Taxi Driver..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Anyone else concerned at the lack of stickers being seen indicating they have been swiftly removed or very few drivers used one in the first place making the story pointless.

It was also talked up by the NCCRI, an organisation whos idea of racism are black families having their windows smashed in certain council housing estates, and a bouncer telling two black men the club was full but who let in others after them.

I've had my windows smashed in before and i've also been told a pub was full even though others got in after me. It's not new.

Non-story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

Fordiners all the way. At least you don't have to talk to them.

Dublin Taxi drivers, it's all,

"Blah blah, the economy's gone to ****e,"

"Ah this is it, ye know"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Dropped off a couple who are friends of mine into temple bar tonight bout an hour ago, as i was pulling away this bird approaces my car and asks ''you workin''' asked her destination Parnell sq, it was on my way home.

So didnt bother putting on the meter, instead had a good chat and banter when we got to where she was going, i said ''no charge'', she and her two buddies were happy and it put me in good form, wasnt working had no intentions of working tonight as im out myself to night.

Nice to be nice.:)

Volvoboy wrote: »
    Dropped off a couple who are friends of mine into temple bar tonight bout an hour ago, as i was pulling away this bird approaces my car and asks ''you workin''' asked her destination Parnell sq, it was on my way home.

So didnt bother putting on the meter, instead had a good chat and banter when we got to where she was going, i said ''no charge'', she and her two buddies were happy and it put me in good form, wasnt working had no intentions of working tonight as im out myself to night.

Nice to be nice.:)

What nationality are you?.

• Advertisement

What nationality are you?.

100% Irish, Northside Dublin!:D

Volvoboy wrote: »
    100% Irish, Northside Dublin!:D

Obviously a racist, and a rough northside one too :D

Obviously a racist, and a rough northside one too :D

Damn have me down to a tee!

Yes i'm so racist i dont even like people south of the liffey:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭samsham

Its amazing about these stickers , I saw all the the papers and the headlines and even pictures of taxi ranks, but no stickers, Journalists obviously went searching for the stickers on Taxi ranks. They apparently couldn't find a taxi with a sticker with 100% Irish. Anyway it was a good story while it lasted if there was any truth to it. But sure it was true it was in the papers. I am sure Irish ferries former workers wish the crews were still 100% Irish:mad:

Sorry if this has been done before. I just heard on the wireless, some afternoon talk show, that Irish taxi drivers have started sporting bumper stickers reading “100% Irish” obviously indicating that the driver is Irish as opposed to a foreign national and some people are up in arms saying it’s going to cause discrimination..

What do you guys think of this? One caller on the show made an interesting point saying that we can go into a supermarket and pick a food product with Guaranteed Irish on the label, so is this discrimination against foreign food producers??, i.e. in the same vein we the public should be able to choose guaranteed Irish service providers if we want..

:mad:

I think one of the big problems here is that very few foreigners are buying taxi plates rather there renting them from Dublin rental companies, In Waterford over 40 licenses are rented by Nigerians. There paying about €180 a week to rent, that's over €8,600 a year. To buy a taxi license is only a once off payment of €6,350. It doesn't add up unless you were trying to hide something like receiving social welfare or not paying tax. To add to this cloning is being investigated by the taxi regulators office. This is where guys replicate an existing license owned by an unsuspecting owner, identical car and license number. An article in the paper only this week. Also again if you own a Taxi you a required to produce a tax clearance cert every year at renewal, If you rent one there is no requirement only from the rental company. Irish drivers are just frustrated at what seems to be a race to the bottom Lastly all Irish drivers are vetted by Garda but nationals from most African nations cant be vetted and only be vetted while they stayed in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Top Dog

samsham wrote: »
    I think one of the big problems here is that very few foreigners are buying taxi plates rather there renting them from Dublin rental companies, In Waterford over 40 licenses are rented by Nigerians. There paying about €180 a week to rent, that's over €8,600 a year. To buy a taxi license is only a once off payment of €6,350. It doesn't add up unless you were trying to hide something like receiving social welfare or not paying tax. To add to this cloning is being investigated by the taxi regulators office. This is where guys replicate an existing license owned by an unsuspecting owner, identical car and license number. An article in the paper only this week. Also again if you own a Taxi you a required to produce a tax clearance cert every year at renewal, If you rent one there is no requirement only from the rental company. Irish drivers are just frustrated at what seems to be a race to the bottom Lastly all Irish drivers are vetted by Garda but nationals from most African nations cant be vetted and only be vetted while they stayed in Ireland.
    I think you're being a bit selective with your numbers there. Did you forget that cars cost money too? Licence isn't much use if you don't have a vehicle to drive.

A guy I work with is a Taxi driver in his spare time. Yes, he's Nigerian, but so what? He lives in Ireland, works in Ireland, his family and house are in Ireland. He pays his taxes so I don't see the harm.

As for foreigners renting plates/cars - I know of another Nigerian based in Cork city. He pay's the owner of his rented taxi 50% of his takings. If he makes €1000, then the cars owner gets €500. Its also the Nigerian guy's responsibility to make sure the car is properly maintained. Do you think the Irish guy is telling Mr Revenue about the €500 a week he's raking in? Probably not since its the Irish way. He's probably declaring the €180 a week as quoted above from Waterford, and the other €320 is just slipping nicely into his pocket.

On the very rare occasions that I've had to use a Taxi I just wanted to get somewhere. The nationality wouldn't bother me in the slightest once they knew where they were going. I've not yet used a foreign born driver, though thats as much a reflection of my limited use of taxi's in general. Once the car is clean and not falling apart, and the driver knows where they're going to some extent, then I'm happy. Don't mind the banter, but equally don't mind the peace and staring out the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

stovelid wrote: »
    I want to get a sticker reading: 100% striking
    So taxi drivers should not have the right to remove service, like everyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

dotsman wrote: »
    Don't forget to take off your hood when you go to bed!

I don't give a monkey's where the driver if from as long as they are a good taxi driver.

Instead of putting up "100% Irish" sticekr, why can't they put up some electronic display giving their rating (after each fare, the custmer would give the taxi a rating out of 10 and the average for the past 6 months is displayed on this device). Now that would be far more informative.

In dublin, I'm just as likely to get a Dub tax driver who says "sorry, don't know anything south of the liffey" as I am to get a foreign taxi driver who doesn't know where he's going. The only difference is that the foreign taxi driver is more likley ot have satnav..

Does any one actually think that sat nav will get you anywhere, by the shortest route?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

topper75 wrote: »
    There is no enshrinement of special rights for 'foreigners' in our law, and rightly so.
    Unpopular opinion ahead...

Maybe not legally but because of our outright terror of being called "racist" (and again in my experience) they'll get anything and everything they want.
    But then we Irish are great at giving to everyone else anyway (6th highest contributors to foreign aid I heard on the news lately) at the expense of our own - no doubt some national insecurity complex over what "dem Brits" did to us :rolleyes: We need to be loved!!!

Charity begins at home folks and we certainly have enough social and economic problems of our own without needing to take on anyone else's.
    (note that this does not include genuine refugees - I'm talking about economic refugees).

But I digress...

As rare as it is that I get a taxi anyway these days, I prefer one with an Irish guy driving myself . In my experience, they generally know where they're going (without the need of the satnav or turn-by-turn directions), can speak the language (which anyone in a customer-facing job should be able to) and can hold a conversation.

Advertisement