Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J-Visa for the USA!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I think the IICenter only offer the IWT. Prices vary between companies of course, but shouldn't be too much between the visas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

lil_lisa wrote: »
    I think the IICenter only offer the IWT. Prices vary between companies of course, but shouldn't be too much between the visas.

Oh ok thanks. Well it is my intention to avoid going through USIT, SAYIT & Go4Less and would much rather go with the more independent option of the IICenter since they allow you to book your own flights/insurance. My friends who went in 2009 definitely went through USIT though and did not have to have jobs lined up before they went so maybe they are enforcing this more now? Anyway thanks for your help.

Oh just one other thing if you can answer? On the IICenter website it says you must be either in a full time course or have graduated withing the last 12 months of applying. So does this make me eligible for the IWT visa since I will be finished my final year but not actually graduating officially until next October?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ForceOfNature

DeadMoney wrote: »
    Oh just one other thing if you can answer? On the IICenter website it says you must be either in a full time course or have graduated withing the last 12 months of applying. So does this make me eligible for the IWT visa since I will be finished my final year but not actually graduating officially until next October?

Thanks!

Hey I am in the process of applying through the iic, you can leave as soon as you finish - you just have to get your college to sign and stamp a letter saying that you have finished and stating the date of your gradation.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 paranoid wreck

Hey I was wondering if anyone could help me this?

I want to go to the States on the 12-month work visa and graduated with a Masters degree in December 2010.

However, what worries me is that I have a drink driving charge since March 2010. Got three years off the road. Not very proud of it.

Have no other criminal convictions but will the embassy deny my visa application. Ive read up on some info about applying and it says to supply documentation regarding your offence when applying. Anyone know my chances of getting it?

I dont want to apply and give money to usit or the IIC in Boston and then be denied by the embassey.

Any help much appreciated. Cheers.

• Advertisement

Hey, I am going on the IWT visa in July and need to arrange medical insurance for myself for the year. Haven't really a clue where to look, can anybody possibly recommend any companies that you can go through? I'm expecting it to cost around 400euro but the cheaper the better obv.

Thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 missKawaii

hey DeadMoney,
    i went with these guys: http://backpackertravelinsurance.ie/
    was sort of a shot in the dark to be honest... mostly why i went with them was cuz i plan on being away for more than 12 months & a lot of the policies are only up to 365 days. but these guys let you say precisely how long youll be away & pay accordingly.
    if you do go with these guys however, doNT give them your mobile number. quite a few insurance companies charge for some b.s. text messaging service, whereby you have no control over why/when/how often they text you but they charge you 99c a pop for the privilege. so be aware of that. but yeah it was good value - i got 14 & half months for about 250 snots & i went with the "premier" cover, which is the slightly better one. jude in the iiic accepted it as well, if thats who youre going through.
    ive my embassy interview on friday. they told me the next available interview wasnt til 27th of june but i kept ringing back & eventually got bumped up to a cancellation on the 3rd. happy out!
    best of luck to you anyway with all of it!

missKawaii wrote: »
    hey DeadMoney,
    i went with these guys: http://backpackertravelinsurance.ie/
    was sort of a shot in the dark to be honest... mostly why i went with them was cuz i plan on being away for more than 12 months & a lot of the policies are only up to 365 days. but these guys let you say precisely how long youll be away & pay accordingly.
    if you do go with these guys however, doNT give them your mobile number. quite a few insurance companies charge for some b.s. text messaging service, whereby you have no control over why/when/how often they text you but they charge you 99c a pop for the privilege. so be aware of that. but yeah it was good value - i got 14 & half months for about 250 snots & i went with the "premier" cover, which is the slightly better one. jude in the iiic accepted it as well, if thats who youre going through.
    ive my embassy interview on friday. they told me the next available interview wasnt til 27th of june but i kept ringing back & eventually got bumped up to a cancellation on the 3rd. happy out!
    best of luck to you anyway with all of it!

Awesome, thanks so much! Wow that sounds like a bit of a tail back in the embassy alrite. I have just done my interview with Jude in the IIC the other day so I need to get my insurance cover very soon and then book an embassy interview. Hopefully there will not be a huge list coz I'm planning on gong to the states by the mid July. Anyway thanks again for the link thats a good bit cheaper than I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jj22222

This 90 day rule is not required by the government for this visa. It is enforced by the visa companies only, and not all of course. I spent three/four weeks in Ireland between two visas.

AFAIK, sayit don't expect this, but I could be wrong.

Hey Lisa,

I just saw a comment you left on about the J1 Visa Internship? That is the 18 month Professional one or even the 12 month one. You said that you do not have to out of the country for 90 days to reapply? Is this true?

I have been offered a job, but they want a contract for 2 years. However the University, as it only has a limited number of sponsors a year, will not sponsor me, but the professor I am doing research for want to see if there is any way i can stay for 2years without a sponsorship.

I can definely get 12 months, and pretty sure I can the 18 month, but jst checking about the reissument of either Visa. And what is the process? Both USIT and go4less are telling me that I cant reissue them, but your comment gave me hope!

If there is anyway you could reply when u see this, as I am in such a frantic situation with this!

Thanks for your help,

Jennifer

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Socorro

I've just finished my degree and I'm planning on doing a masters in the UK, starting this September. Will I still be eligible for the visa after I've finished the masters, since it's not in my home country?

Heard lots of different info about this so hopefully someone can help me out?

• Advertisement

jj22222 wrote: »
    If there is anyway you could reply when u see this, as I am in such a frantic situation with this!

Jennifer, as long as you still meet the requirements the second time around, there shouldn't be an issue. (i.e. within 1 year from graduation) For my second 12 month visa, I went with Intrax Internships and had absolutely no problem.

Jennifer, as long as you still meet the requirements the second time around, there shouldn't be an issue. (i.e. within 1 year from graduation) For my second 12 month visa, I went with Intrax Internships and had absolutely no problem.

Thank you so much for your reply.

If I can just ask some obvious questions:

1. You just applied for one 12 month VISA through a normal agency i.e USIT etc and then applied for a second one through another?

2. How long did you have to return to Ireland for? Eveyone is telling me 90 days, and I could lose the job over this.

3. What year was this? Have you heard of anyone doing this recently> Is there anyway to confirm this?

Thank you so much for your help,

Jennifer

Hey Lisa,

Sorry for the double reply. Is it also necessary to for through two seperate ones, if you are going in succession, as USIT keeps telling me, that you have to wait 90 days. But I am thinking, if you went with two different it mite be easier?

Thank again.

Jennifer

I've mentioned before, the 90 day rule is not a government rule, it is implemented only by some visa companies. In saying this, SAYIT advised me in 2009 that this was a rule however, after finishing a summer J1 in Sept of 09 I was back in the US early November 09 with a visa from SAYIT.

I finished that 12 month visa just last year (2010) and was back in the US within 3-4 weeks on another 12 month visa (currently). So as long as the visa company themselves deem you eligible you will be fine having just finished a visa. The US embassy SHOULD not deny you a visa just because you recently finished one. I stress SHOULD not because each visa case is different, of course. I hope this sums it up for you.

I've mentioned before, the 90 day rule is not a government rule, it is implemented only by some visa companies. In saying this, SAYIT advised me in 2009 that this was a rule however, after finishing a summer J1 in Sept of 09 I was back in the US early November 09 with a visa from SAYIT.

I finished that 12 month visa just last year (2010) and was back in the US within 3-4 weeks on another 12 month visa (currently). So as long as the visa company themselves deem you eligible you will be fine having just finished a visa. The US embassy SHOULD not deny you a visa just because you recently finished one. I stress SHOULD not because each visa case is different, of course. I hope this sums it up for you.

Thanks again for your help,

I am hoping to use my first graduation from Trinity as eligilbilty for the first one and my soon-to-be graduation from Oxford for the second. That was i will meet all the elibility requirements, but just using two seperate ones! I am just going to chance it and hope for the best. I'll start applying a few weeks before I leave the US and then just come home for the interview for a few weeks! Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 bearnabeauty

Hi all,

I was just wondering how long does the process from first contacting the US embassy to interview stage if someone was to apply for IWT. I was thinking of applying through IIC in Boston as it allows me to book my own flights etc.

Also when filling up DS 160 it asks have you and when do you plan on travelling. Just wondering if you put a date say with 5/6 weeks would it speed up the overall process??

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 abbey21

The us embassy states

"DO NOT MAKE TRAVEL PLANS until the administrative processing for your case has been completed; we cannot guarantee how long the administrative processing for your case will take."

It generally takes 2-4 weeks for the application process. You can follow it online at the us embassy site

If you have not found a job or apartment yet check out exportee.net they post them daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭cheesehead

Don't know if this is the thread, but an article in today's (June 16th, 2011) US-based Irish Voice newspaper has an article that might be helpful for those looking for employment in the US:

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/All-Irish-need-apply-Growth-in-demand-for-Irish-to-fill-US-service-jobs-123955934.html

It's an article about the growing demand for Irish workers in the US Hospitality industry and the article offers contact information for a recruiter. Hope it helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 joebo24

Hi,
    Ive been living over here for the year in woodside queens and at the begining of september will be heading back to Ireland. I am looking to see if there is someone who is coming over to New York who wants a 2 bed apartment fully furnished, ready to go everything set up eg, cable, gas. Please pm if you want more details!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

hoping people here will have advice as some of you have been on the J visa. Basically all the sponsors, Go4less, USIT, and the IIIC have different eligibility requirements. I'm doing a post grad diploma part time and USIT say I am eligible to apply before I finish my year as do Go4less, however, the IIIC say I'm not eligible as its only a 1 year course and I must have completed at least a year before going. They also say I need to be full time, anyone gone over who wasn't full time?

can I apply before the end of my course so I'll have the Visa and be ready to go when i finish?

Is the programme ending start or end 2013? embassy website says its a 5 year prog that started 2008.

Also the IIIC say you need transcripts and a copy of your parchment which means waiting 3-4 months after finishing studies.

As I said the other sponsors say I'm eligible but I dont want to apply and be turned down because I dont meet the requirements.

Any information is welcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭neil.p.b

DeadMoney wrote: »
    Hey, I am planning on doing the 1 year J visa this summer as I am finishing college and I intend to book it through the Boston Irish center. I don't actually need to have some 'career related' job lined up do I? My friends are on this visa (booked through Sayit I think) and did not get jobs until they were there about 6 weeks or so. Their jobs are not career related and they have had no problems.

Did your friends manage to get through the full year with no problems in their jobs, what were they doing? I thought when you got a job over there someone does a site check?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

Hey everyone, what should my evidence of return letter say from my employer? Is it as simple as "I Joe Bloggs, manager of XXX fully intend to offer employment to Johnny upon his return to Ireland"? That's it?

Yep, just that should suffice. On headed paper.

Does anyone have an idea on how strict IIC/USIT/Go4less are on the job being an internship? If you got a regular paying job within your field would they not let you take it due to you not technically being employed by the company as an intern?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Corrimbla

I went through the IIC. Although it's an internship visa you can get paid. It would be a very expensive year otherwise! you can apply for regular jobs if you want but your prospective employer will find out your on a J1-IWT regardless as they will ask you for your visa paperwork and you have to get them to sign off on a DS-7002 which showes that it is an internship visa. But if your employer is willing to pay then its not a requirement to work for free!

Neil, you can work a normal full time job as long as it is in your field of study. When you get your visa/job, your employer will have to complete the DS-7002 form which basically turns any job into an internship on paper by spelling out what you'll be working on and learning over the 12 months. It doesn't have to be extremely accurate but as long as they see some sort of plan then you'll be fine. It's very straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

What if you don't get an internship anywhere but can still prove that you are financially secure?

Mongo wrote: »
    What if you don't get an internship anywhere but can still prove that you are financially secure?

I think it depends on who your sponsor is. I'm going with IIC and you have to have a job within 3 months. Others may be longer but you would still have to provide proof of funds after a certain period i'd guess.

Has anyone done their interview recently? Did they ask you for a bank statement or proof of return?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭syd barrett

neil.p.b wrote: »
    I think it depends on who your sponsor is. I'm going with IIC and you have to have a job within 3 months. Others may be longer but you would still have to provide proof of funds after a certain period i'd guess.

Has anyone done their interview recently? Did they ask you for a bank statement or proof of return?

I'm going to go with IIC, when I was in embassy for my J1 I brought a bank statement, and it wasnt asked, if you can, just get someone to lodge money into yer account, request a statement, and return the cash to whoever, thats what a lot of people do.

just one query about the IIC, how much does it all cost, and where is the application form on their site? i cant for the life of me find it

• Advertisement

I'm going to go with IIC, when I was in embassy for my J1 I brought a bank statement, and it wasnt asked, if you can, just get someone to lodge money into yer account, request a statement, and return the cash to whoever, thats what a lot of people do.

just one query about the IIC, how much does it all cost, and where is the application form on their site? i cant for the life of me find it

http://www.iiicenter.org/2011/08/23/program-information/

Yeah i didn't get asked when i went for my J1 either, just wasn't sure whether this would be the same.

Program fee is $650, my insurance was €250, then there's embassy fee of $140, sevis fee of $180 and then whatever your flights will cost.

Advertisement