Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J-Visa for the USA!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

lil_lisa wrote: »
    Yes, you must make the bank draft payable to 'US Embassy', if I were you I would get it in $ instead of €, if the exchange rate changes even the morning of your interview and you're off by a cent, they won't accept it.

I'm not sure about the envelope. I always had an A5 size, it's just to send back your passport and documents to you, anything smaller won't hold, so I'm sure even if you had an A4 envelope, as long as it was self-addressed and had the correct stamps on it it should be fine.

thanks lil lisa thats really helpful, yeah ill get it in dollars and maybe bring a few different envelopes and give them a choice haha..

• Registered Users Posts: 34 MEJ

for anyone who is over in the US, whats the best deal for phones, better to be pay as you go or bill? i hear that unless you have credit in your phone you vant recieve calls unless its bill is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

MEJ wrote: »
    for anyone who is over in the US, whats the best deal for phones, better to be pay as you go or bill? i hear that unless you have credit in your phone you vant recieve calls unless its bill is that right?

In the US you pay both to make and to receive calls, both on billpay and on PAYG. If you are only coming for a year I would go with PAYG as billpay will (a) have a minimum contract - for me that is 24 months with AT&T for an iPhone and (b) if you don't have a credit history you will have to put a deposit down - $500 with AT&T.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

There are several companies out there that offer month to month contracts, I'm currently using cricket and they have unlimited minutes (over here they go by minutes instead of money on your phone) Check them out here to give you an idea. There are other cell phone providers that offer month to month plans like that.

thanks for the help! i got a sim card from usit so il find out what network that is but that month-month contract looks like a pretty good deal.

• Advertisement

had my interview today, all went grand..Just asked me where i was going what i did in college they didn't even ask me for a bank statement or proof of return..

how long have people on here had to wait for them to send back their passports? i know on the website it says two working days to process so should prob have it back monday or tuesday, but a friend of a friend was waiting two weeks and had to ring them and then they sent it out im hoping that was just a isolated incident cause im leaving the 22nd..

I think if i don't have it back tuesday morning ill just ring them to make sure they've sent it out..

i had my interview on a fri and had it by tues.

Me too, interview friday, passport tuesday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

Probably a really stupid question but is there any harm in renewing the ESTA even though I'm heading over next month on this visa? I thought I might as well since it'll cover me for two years if I go back on the visa waiver thingy. Or do you actually need the ESTA with a J Visa anyway?

Also, if you go to the US on this or a similar visa what's the story with paperwork like the green form, I-94 (are they the same thing?) or a white form (is there even a white form or did I make that up?)? I'm guessing the visa waiver doesn't apply to us and isn't that green form obsolete now anyway?

I realise I sound like an confused idiot... because I am :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

le_girl wrote: »
    Probably a really stupid question but is there any harm in renewing the ESTA even though I'm heading over next month on this visa? I thought I might as well since it'll cover me for two years if I go back on the visa waiver thingy. Or do you actually need the ESTA with a J Visa anyway?
    You don't need ESTA if you are going on a visa. However there is going to be a charge from September so there's no harm in applying in case you want to use the VWP in the next 2 years, just keep your reference number handy.
    Also, if you go to the US on this or a similar visa what's the story with paperwork like the green form, I-94 (are they the same thing?) or a white form (is there even a white form or did I make that up?)? I'm guessing the visa waiver doesn't apply to us and isn't that green form obsolete now anyway?
    I-94 is a white form, I-94W was the green one that was used when on the VWP and has now been discontinued. You will fill out the white form and the immigration officer will staple a section into your passport, you then surrender this to the airline when leaving the country.

• Advertisement

You don't need ESTA if you are going on a visa. However there is going to be a charge from September so there's no harm in applying in case you want to use the VWP in the next 2 years, just keep your reference number handy.

I-94 is a white form, I-94W was the green one that was used when on the VWP and has now been discontinued. You will fill out the white form and the immigration officer will staple a section into your passport, you then surrender this to the airline when leaving the country.

Thank you!

I won't be shouted at by scary immigration officers for having applied for the ESTA then? Great!

So the green form was for visitors on the visa waiver but the white is for people on non-immigrant visas like the J visas? Ok, not so confused now, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭armadillo86

Hi Guys,

I have my embassy interview this Thursday, just have a question regarding passports. I read on my (go4less) interview guidelines that "your passport should be in perfect condition. If your passport has any water stains, tears, scribbles, or any unofficial or unauthorized writing inside it, then it will be REJECTED."

My problem is: my passport was only issued in March 2009, it is in good condition apart from the first and last pages, which both have a small ink stain on them. Also, the last page of my passport has another small stain, kind of like a coffee stain on the top right hand corner. Apart from that, it's in perfect condition and the picture page is totally unmarked.

Basically, i'm wondering how strict are the embassy on this? I'm kind of freaking out because i really can't afford to order a new passport on top of the existing cost of this visa, especially as it's only just over a year since i last paid for a new one.

Any help/advice on this is much appreciated, thanks :)

Karbolt wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I have my embassy interview this Thursday, just have a question regarding passports. I read on my (go4less) interview guidelines that "your passport should be in perfect condition. If your passport has any water stains, tears, scribbles, or any unofficial or unauthorized writing inside it, then it will be REJECTED."

My problem is: my passport was only issued in March 2009, it is in good condition apart from the first and last pages, which both have a small ink stain on them. Also, the last page of my passport has another small stain, kind of like a coffee stain on the top right hand corner. Apart from that, it's in perfect condition and the picture page is totally unmarked.

Basically, i'm wondering how strict are the embassy on this? I'm kind of freaking out because i really can't afford to order a new passport on top of the existing cost of this visa, especially as it's only just over a year since i last paid for a new one.

Any help/advice on this is much appreciated, thanks :)

hey i have no ink stains on my passport but there are stains on the pages like the first and last pages and the front cover of my passport with the harp and ireland on the front is totally faded off u can't even see it..I had no problems with it had my interiew thursday and my passport arrived in the letter box this morning with my visa.I say youll be ok..

That thing about the stains and scribbles might only refer to the picture page as well it might not mean the hole passport as long as theres no tears or rips on it i say ull be fine

H599 wrote:
    hey i have no ink stains on my passport but there are stains on the pages like the first and last pages and the front cover of passport with the harp and ireland on the front is totally faded off u can't even see it..I had no problems with it had my interiew thursday and my passport arrived in the letter box this morning with my visa.I say youll be ok..

That thing about the stains and scribbles might only refer to the picture page as well it might not mean the hole passport as long as theres no tears or rips on it i say ull be fine
    Thanks for the reply. I had my interview this morning and there was nothing said about my passport, got the visa so just gotta book flights now, happy days :) The waiting times in the embassy today were crazy, my appointment was for 9am, i arrived at 8.45am and was not called for my interview until 12.10pm... If i can give any advice to others going to the interview it's definitely to bring a good book or magazine and some food with you, i was going demented from starvation and boredom by the end! The waiting room is really cold too so a good warm jumper might be a good idea too lol

just wondering people on here who are already in america, how is the job hunting going?? is it very hard to find internships and have ye any tips on the best ways of going about getting jobs over there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jaxgavo

Harpy wrote: »
    just wondering people on here who are already in america, how is the job hunting going?? is it very hard to find internships and have ye any tips on the best ways of going about getting jobs over there..

I'm wondering pretty much the same thing Harpy. I have applied for jobs in the US online but have had no joy so far. I feel like it would be easier to find work if I was over there but from reading all the previous pages it seems like a bad idea to go over with no job organised.

Hi everyone, just an update cause I know people want to know how everyone who is already in the States is getting on.
    I have been in New York just over a week and already have my internship sorted and start tomorrow. There are a lot of jobs here, its nothing like Ireland. I'd advise people to come to New York if you're unsure of where to go. I had an offer of another internship too so there is lots of opportunity!

MEJ wrote: »
    Hi everyone, just an update cause I know people want to know how everyone who is already in the States is getting on.
    I have been in New York just over a week and already have my internship sorted and start tomorrow. There are a lot of jobs here, its nothing like Ireland. I'd advise people to come to New York if you're unsure of where to go. I had an offer of another internship too so there is lots of opportunity!
    Hi Mej, that's awesome, thanks for your feedback! Do you mind me asking what course you did in college? Also, do you have any contacts in New York who assisted you in your job search or did you do it all by yourself? Last question, how did you find these jobs, Craigslist or otherwise? I'm going to NY on this visa myself in 4 weeks so any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and congrats again :)

Thanks for the update Mej and congrats on the job. I'd also love to know how you went about applying for internships. I'm leaving for cali in two weeks and haven't managed to get a response from any companies yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 akavana3

Hi all,

Was just wondering if anybody has undertaken the professional training program j1 visa? I graduated in 2007 and recently qualified as an accountant. I spoke with USIT today and they said that I am eligible for the visa however I have concerns about the training element of the visa. Does anybody know what is required for the training element and how strict they are in enforcing it?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Well, I am extemely interested in doing this too...I had planned to start the process asap, but somehow I landed a job in the area I just finished MA in.

I handed in my Masters end of August. Got the results first week of September. I dont confer until December 10.

When is the year from?

Job is contract for 6 months and due to expire in March.

The year is from the date you graduate, so in your case, the latest you could start an intern/training job (or arrive in the US if you're looking at the IWT with no pre-planned job) would be December 10th 2011. You would need a good month and a half or two before this to get all the paperwork organized.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭duckmusic

Does anyone know anything about not having to pay Social security and Medicare tax while being on a J1 12 month visa? I read it somewhere but cant remember where. Could do with some money back!!!

You don't have to pay these, as explained here. However, from personal experience, its difficult to get this when you want it. A lot of payroll companies and departments may not have their system set up to allow for this and they're not willing to make changes for one person, so, with a letter from your company and a payslip I think, you can send off for it yourself. I, personally, am letting it build up until the end of the year and will get it when I'm filing my taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭duckmusic

The exemption does not apply to nonimmigrants in F-1,J-1,M-1,or Q-1/Q-2 status who change nonimmigrant status to a status which is not exempt or to a special protected status.

Does this mean if you were to get a green card you would have to pay it back or just wouldst get the exemption anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Corrimbla

Hi,

I intend to apply for the 12 month IWT visa in a months time as my graduation takes place around then but I don't know the date yet.

I heard the green card lottery opens today and was considering entering on the off chance I'd get one, but does anybody know if entering this could affect my 12 month IWT application?

Any thoughts would be greatly appericated.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Corrimbla wrote: »
    Hi,

I intend to apply for the 12 month IWT visa in a months time as my graduation takes place around then but I don't know the date yet.

I heard the green card lottery opens today and was considering entering on the off chance I'd get one, but does anybody know if entering this could affect my 12 month IWT application?

Any thoughts would be greatly appericated.

Dave

The two would not affect eachother.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Corrimbla

Thanks for the help Silja. Thought it was better to enquire before applying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 omarlittle

Thanks for the update Mej and congrats on the job. I'd also love to know how you went about applying for internships. I'm leaving for cali in two weeks and haven't managed to get a response from any companies yet.
    How is the job hunting going le girl? I leave for Cali myself in 3 weeks and im not having much luck emailing companies in advance. Did you just apply for jobs on the net or did you go into companies and enquire about any positions. My job category is down as Business/Commerce - its fairly broad so im hopeful ill get lucky.

• Advertisement

Hi all, just thought i'd give you a quick update on how i'm doing on the 12 month work and travel visa over here in New York. I used to check this thread religiously prior to getting my visa so i feel that it would be only fair for me to give something back and hopefully help out anybody who's considering doing the programme...

So i moved over here just over 3 weeks ago, and i have to say that i am in love with this city, it's everything i've ever hoped for and more! Spent a lot of time applying for internships at first but any ones that looked suitable were either stipends or unpaid. Unfortunately, as i had very little savings going over with me, unpaid internships just weren't a viable option for me so i began to look at other options. I decided that i'd take a risk and apply to companies not for an internship, but for a "real" job. As i did business management in college, i began sending resumes to companies on craigslist.org who were advertising for employees in the area of office-administration/front desk/receptionists etc.

After spending two and a half (excruciatingly long) weeks applying to any company who looked like they might take a risk hiring someone on a J1 visa, i had almost lost hope when i got a call last Saturday to come in for an interview for a front desk receptionist for a sports club in Manhattan. Despite not feeling that i had a chance of getting it, i went to the interview and decided to give it my best shot... The interview went great, and i got a call back this morning offering me the job! I'm so delighted that i steered away from solely looking at internships and began looking at full time jobs instead... It really paid off in the end.

A word of warning to anyone applying through craigslist.org, there are an awful lot of job scams going on, but after some practice you can begin to see what's genuine and what's fake (copy and paste into Google of reply emails from these fakers can reveal a lot). So i guess long story short from me is: Don't be afraid to apply for non-internship jobs, once these jobs are skilled they will still be covered within the scope of your visa. You never know, you could end up finding a really great employer who is willing to take that risk if you make a good enough impression on them.

Good luck to anyone considering doing this, it is a big decision and i hope that my story might help you out in some way. In my case, moving to New York on this visa is turning out to be pretty much the best decision i've ever made.

P.S. Play up your Irish-ness, they'll love you for it ;)

Advertisement