Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Unfiltered

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭taibhse

I dont believe right of choice entirely with the mother, but when it comes to something growing inside her body, I think she should have more of a say in the matter

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭taibhse

just as in a lot of families, more of the child rearing responsibilites falls on the mothers head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

taibhse wrote: »
    But your glossing over all pregnancies in the same fashion.

There are accidents that happen. If a woman has sex it doesnt mean she wants to get pregnant. Yes it may have been consentual but I don't believe a woman should be made to carry a baby against her will.
    Before a certain point in development yes I do think the woman's rights has precidence over the foetus

Less than the rights of a chicken? :P

I see your point. I absoloutely fundamentally disagree with it. I personally think it's selfish at the most base level to think your rights are more important than that of the child. Especially as you chose to take an action where you knew that accidents can happen. It was your actions that lead to this child coming into existence, accident or not. We all live with the consequences of accidents and mistakes.

Having said that, it's my opinion. It's not fact. of course people will disagree with me. I'm only here to put the anti-abortion side of the argument out there, as some people seem to think that it's an unreasonable stance.

I would hope that people can at least see where we are coming from. That would be about as much as I would ever hope to achieve here, in all honesty. I've never seen one of these arguments where anyone actually chages their minds.

That leads me to believe that there's something deeper in all of us at our gut level, which makes us think that abortion is either right or wrong, and I really believe that we, in many cases, form our arguments around our beliefs, rather than vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

I have questions, mainly for tallaght01 and others who believe a woman has not got the right over her own body when there is an embryo involved. You say she does not have the right to abort because that would kill another human being. Basically, you deny her the right to do with her body as she sees fit, and you demand she carry on with the pregnancy because another life depends on that.

Now, if presented with a severly ill person who depends on your donating them half of your liver in order to live, do you think you are and ought to be obliged to donate half of your liver, seeing that the liver can regenerate and that another human being's life depends on this donation? In other words, does their right to life override your right to decide over your own body?

Personally, and I think the vast majority of people agree with me, I would be appalled at being obliged to donate. As it stands, we are not even obliged to give blood that may very well save lives. As it stands, we cannot even be forced to act as life support systems once we ourselves are dead.

So how come then that a woman ought, in your opinion, be forced to play life support system for another human, when in no other situation anyone of us is forced to do that for another human?

Is it because the embryo is 'innocent'? If so, what makes you decide that someone in need of a new liver is not innocent? They may well be. Who are you to decide?

Or is it because the pregnant woman had sex and has to live with the consequences? If so, why are there no such consequences for the man involved in that same sexual act? Yeah, she's pregnant alright. But what would stop us to demand he carry out an act to save some 'innocenct life' as well?

Why should a woman lose the right over her body because she had sex if that is not in some form meant as a punishment for the woman?

Well, because

A) She's responsible for the baby. I'm not responsible for some randomer who needs a liver.

B) The act of killing is not the same as the act of not sacrificing something to help someone live. There is no comparison in law or ethics. If nature tells you that you liver is packing in, then that's different to the responsible adult killing/terminating you. You just can't compare killing or termination or whatever you want to not donating blood, for example.

C) The donation of a heap of your liver is likely to be very very very dangerous. You would have a high chance of dying. I wouldn't ask a woman to carry on with her pregnancy if it risked her life.

D) In pregnancy there are 2 bodies to contend with. That of the baby and that of the mum. One happens to be inside of the other.

• Advertisement

F.A. wrote: »
    Why should a woman lose the right over her body because she had sex if that is not in some form meant as a punishment for the woman?

This is an argument that gets pulled out over and over again. I usually don't answer it. BUt i would point out that you could very easily turn things around and argue that in abortion the baby is being punished for the sexual act. Why is it fairer to punish the baby than the mum for the parents act?

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Well, because

A) She's responsible for the baby. I'm not responsible for some randomer who needs a liver.

So why would she give up that child for adoption after birth? Not responsible anymore? But she is responsible for life or death before? Just like you presented with someone who would die if you don't donate any one of your organs after you're dead. Why are you not responsible for saving that life? What exactly makes a woman responsible for another human just because it happens to reside in her womb? Frankly, I don't see any difference other than blood relation. But if that is of no relevance after birth, why before?
    B) The act of killing is not the same as the act of not sacrificing something to help someone live. There is no comparison in law or ethics. If nature tells you that you liver is packing in, then that's different to the responsible adult killing/terminating you. You just can't compare killing or termination or whatever you want to not donating blood, for example.

Why can't I? It is the very same in that both lives depend on you making a sacrifice and valuing someone else's life higher than your bodily integration. After all, the problem at hand is that the embryo will die if the woman is not prepared to host it for 9 months. Just as the patient in my scenario will die if you're not prepared to share some vival organs that you may not even need. I fail to see why one is different to the other.
    C) The donation of a heap of your liver is likely to be very very very dangerous. You would have a high chance of dying. I wouldn't ask a woman to carry on with her pregnancy if it risked her life.

Well then. I did not restrict the scenario to the donation of half of your liver. What about blood? Organs once you're dead?
    D) In pregnancy there are 2 bodies to contend with. That of the baby and that of the mum. One happens to be inside of the other.

Not quite. The woman is not a mum until the baby is born. Leaving that aside, what exactly does that matter? It still comes down to one life depending on sacrificies made by another.

This is an argument that gets pulled out over and over again. I usually don't answer it. BUt i would point out that you could very easily turn things around and argue that in abortion the baby is being punished for the sexual act. Why is it fairer to punish the baby than the mum for the parents act?

This was actually not aimed at you. I just got the very distinct impression from some posters' comments that women should not have sex unless for reproduction, so if they do, pregnancy may be used as punishment. I do not and would not consider it such, but the way some posters put their words leads to the conclusion that they very much view it as such.

As for fairness - parents make decisions over their children's head all the time, based on what the parents perceive as in the best interest of their child. I know you will disagree, but I believe that abortion may very much be in the best interest of the child.

FA, this will become the ultimate circular argument. In abortion debates, people always come up with mental scenarios to try and compare them to abortion. This is the 2nd time it's happened in about 2 pages here. So, I'll try to keep it simple.

Killing someone is different to not helping them. You can go to jail for murder. You can't go to jail for not donating blood. I suggest you take that up with the judiaciary. I'm not going to debate it here. I see it as a concept that's very easy to grasp. If everyone had to do everything to keep everyone on earth alive, the world would be a mental place. It's so out there, that it just has no relevance to anything.

The mother is responsible for her child legally while it's inside her. If she starts purposely trying to damage the child in utero, the authorities will get involved. She is a mother as soon as the pregnancy begins.

I don't know what else to say.

As for fairness - parents make decisions over their children's head all the time, based on what the parents perceive as in the best interest of their child. I know you will disagree, but I believe that abortion may very much be in the best interest of the child.

If one of my parents makes a decision that will result in the unnecessary death of one of my patients, I will go to court to stop that. Sometimes abortion may be in the best interest of the child. They may have severe deformities. In those cases, I'm not against abortion. But the rights of the parent are not absoloute.

• Advertisement

FA, this will become the ultimate circular argument. In abortion debates, people always come up with mental scenarios to try and compare them to abortion. This is the 2nd time it's happened in about 2 pages here. So, I'll try to keep it simple.

I disagree about this being a mental scenario, and I am disappointed to see you use such terminology. I expected a more rational discussion with you. Rational also means that things can be compared on the basis of their common denominator. Pro Choice people will normally favour rational discussion to emotional stances.
    Killing someone is different to not helping them. You can go to jail for murder. You can't go to jail for not donating blood. I suggest you take that up with the judiaciary. I'm not going to debate it here. I see it as a concept that's very easy to grasp. If everyone had to do everything to keep everyone on earth alive, the world would be a mental place. It's so out there, that it just has no relevance to anything.

It is not different at all if you carefully think about it. The fact of the matter is that an embryo cannot survive without the very physical contribution of another human being. The very same can be said about lots of people who are ill or had accidents. Both may turn into fully functional and healthy people.
    The mother is responsible for her child legally while it's inside her. If she starts purposely trying to damage the child in utero, the authorities will get involved. She is a mother as soon as the pregnancy begins.

No, she is not. Otherwise, she would be getting child support from the moment of conception.

If one of my parents makes a decision that will result in the unnecessary death of one of my patients, I will go to court to stop that. Sometimes abortion may be in the best interest of the child. They may have severe deformities. In those cases, I'm not against abortion. But the rights of the parent are not absoloute.

They may also be born into a world of utter misery in which adoption is not an option. People may find abortion much more humane than force long-term if not endless suffering onto another human being.

LOL the definition of being legally responsible doesn't revolve around getting child support!

If there's a risk to the fetus, the authorities will step in and mum will be responsible.

But the real issue is that this is the same old point again, wrapped up differently. Mum should be allowed do what she wants with her body...the kid has no rights coz he's not a kid until he's born. This is not new. I disagree. I think the fetus is a human. You don't. No surprise there. This is the crux of the issue.

I'm sorry, but talking about liver transplants IS mental. I have a pretty liberal attitude to abortion in reality. I enjoy arguing the principle of it, though. I'm in favour of support services in Ireland for women who've had abortions. I;m probably even reluctantly in favour of abortion being available in Ireland, if women can go to the UK and have one anyway. I'd rather they did it at home, where their support network is closer at hand.

I don't think I've ever been anything but reasonable with my views on abortion. But where I refuse to get sucked into debates is where they digress into areas that have just got no application in real life. Arresting people for not giving blood transfusions is so outside the realm of acceotable that it's simple not applicable here.

Some people think abortion is OK. I can see their point. I think it's wrong, and I think that's also reasonable.

I don't think anyone here advocates arresting people for not giving blood. There is no common denominator there.

They may also be born into a world of utter misery in which adoption is not an option. People may find abortion much more humane than force long-term if not endless suffering onto another human being.

If a child is born into total misery and the parents want to give him.her up for adoption, then the child won't be forced to live with his parents. They can give that child up. Adoption won't happen overnight, but they'll be fostered pretty quickly, by and large.

LOL the definition of being legally responsible doesn't revolve around getting child support!

We will have to agree to disagree. Calling the woman a 'mum' is making an emotional stance.
    If there's a risk to the fetus, the authorities will step in and mum will be responsible.

Not necessarily.
    I think the fetus is a human. You don't.

Oh, I do. I think it is a human at an extremely early stage of development. Early enough for nature to decide that it is not capable to turn into a kid. Many pregnancies are naturally terminated before the end of the 12th week. I have said it before: I simply trust nature in that the embryo or fetus is not developped enough for a termination to be considered 'cruel' on the life that is terminated.
    I'm sorry, but talking about liver transplants IS mental. I have a pretty liberal attitude to abortion in reality. I enjoy arguing the principle of it, though. I'm in favour of support services in Ireland for women who've had abortions. I;m probably even reluctantly in favour of abortion being available in Ireland, if women can go to the UK and have one anyway. I'd rather they did it at home, where their support network is closer at hand.

I say it again, this is not restricted to liver transplants. And making a comparison is not mental just because it challenges the argument you find most convenient.

Fair enough about your take on abortion. I have a lot of respect for it.
    I don't think I've ever been anything but reasonable with my views on abortion. But where I refuse to get sucked into debates is where they digress into areas that have just got no application in real life. Arresting people for not giving blood transfusions is so outside the realm of acceotable that it's simple not applicable here.

I did not advocate arresting people for not giving blood, nor would I ever. In the contrary, I am advocating against anybody being obliged to make bodily sacrificies for anybody else.
    I don't think anyone here advocates arresting people for not giving blood. There is no common denominator there.

The common denominator is, as I have pointed out before, the fact that one human life depends on physical sacrificies made by another. I am aware that one is legal and the other is not. I am pointing out how illogical that is considering that it comes down to the same.

Thanks for the discussion, though. Very enjoyable. I respect you and your views as you have made it very clear that you respect mine.

If a child is born into total misery and the parents want to give him.her up for adoption, then the child won't be forced to live with his parents. They can give that child up. Adoption won't happen overnight, but they'll be fostered pretty quickly, by and large.

Well, Ireland isn't the world, and not everyone is Madonna or Angelina Jolie/Brad Pitt. Most abortions occur in developping countries, and I dare say life is pretty miserable in many of them without any hope of adoption.

Well, Ireland isn't the world, and not everyone is Madonna or Angelina Jolie/Brad Pitt. Most abortions occur in developping countries, and I dare say life is pretty miserable in many of them without any hope of adoption.

Actually, this is a topic that I do find interesting to talk about. I have much different opinions on abortion in developing countries, insofar as a child who is about to be born to die of starvation never really had much of a hope int he 1st place.

When you look at abortions in devloping countrioes, the facts are intestesting.

Almost all the abortions are unsafe. People do crazy stuff to induce an abortion. Obviously, if your child is going to starve to death, you're not going to be able to afford a doctor and a proper abortion.

The most interesting thing about it is that you're absoloutely right to say that most abortions happen in developing countries. BUT you're this reflects population disparity more than anything else. What I mean is that you're not really any more likely to have an abortion if you live in a developing country. The WHO published a paper a year or 2 ago. There were about 23 or 24 abortions per 1000 women in Africa that year, as opposed to about 25 or 26 per year in developing countries.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the significance of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Loxosceles

Personally, I prefer the Freakonomics approach to abortion. Statistics which back up socioeconomic trends.

In an ecological sense, we are essentially all just resource-sucking parasites crawling around on this planet, destroying it, and through the coloured glasses of our own survival instinct, we impose our own egotistical sense of self-importance on everyone and everything else around us.

Every direction we walk has a possible outcome; if we start classes at college, we might graduate. But a couple of classes and dropping out is not a college education. A couple of days on the job and quitting is not a career to put on the CV. And quitting a job early on is not a betrayal of personal integrity, just as having an abortion is not a crime against humanity. There's 7 billion of humanity sucking the life out of this world. Human instinct will begin to embrace homicidal urges as population grows; it's a natural reaction to having no room, no potential and no wilderness in which to run and play. Abortion, crime, drug abuse, etc are just side effects of a bigger, uglier ecological cabin fever on behalf of humanity at large.

Just because -you- were lucky enough to be loved and wanted does not mean that everyone on this earth is going to get that. If you think abortion is evil, you can do 2 things about it: 1) fight for better government provision for child care, child benefits, college education for women, all of which is desperately needed in the US anyhow; and 2) fight for equality and education of women in countries where they are subjugated and abused by men, so that they can exercise choice over family size and have proper careers. Support everyone on earth eventually being a member of the middle class, and take steps to do so. What you will get is better birth control through educated women, smaller families, good resources for children, and kids who are wanted.

In the argument regarding when life begins, we must measure sentience in the present moment, not potential, even though it's by believing in our own potential that we get anywhere in life. But that is at the bottom line our own business and not anyone else's, and only when we're sentient enough to make that choice. To be perfectly honest, if a woman loves a ball of cells, let her have that ball of cells and call it a baby. If she doesn't, let her have an abortion. It is not cell life which argues potential, it's being loved by someone somewhere. An unloved child is a far greater tragedy than an abortion. If you don't like abortion, do your bit to prevent humanity and society at large ever needing it in the first place. Abortion is a symptom of a far greater sickness, making it illegal is a band-aid on a broken leg.

lox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ultravid

I'm not a Godless pro-lifer myself, but this letter is interesting and relevant, particularly for those who do not believe in God:

Dear Sirs,
    Below is a letter I sent to several sites, which is a version of what I send to pro-abortionists. Please feel free to make copies or duplicate this letter to send to anyone you wish. Please be sure to give me credit for my work.
    Dear Sirs,
    Most anti-abortion sites offer to send you "free information and a church bulletin" or a Bible. As an atheist, I'm not impressed, and I don't want that stuff. More importantly, how are you going to convince an atheist of anything if you use a source that he does not accept or worse considers it a hoax? I am an atheist and opposed to abortions for the following reasons:
    1. Even if someone believes that abortions are acceptable, then at least consider this:
    A. Most of the abortion methods are cruel, extremely inhumane, and very painful for the fetus/baby.
    B. If you intend to kill the fetus, then do so in a humane way. If the equivalent methods of abortion were used to kill animals at the dog pound, the ASPCA and other animal groups...well, you get the idea.
    C. The dangers associated with abortions are not explained clearly. Though most people believe that abortions are completely safe, there are many dangers physically and psychologically (infection, infertility, bleeding, depression, and suicide, just to name a few).
    2. Abortions go against my belief in liberty and justice.
    A. Liberty to choose for one's self requires that, as free individuals, we are responsible for our actions and the consequences thereof.
    B. Justice is when you get what you deserve.
    3. A woman should have the right to do with her own body what she wishes, but when she does what she wants to do, and as a result becomes pregnant, she has done what she wanted to do with her own body. However when she goes for an abortion, she is doing something to someone else's body.
    4. What has the unborn done to deserve death? NOTHING! It is not at fault for anything including its own existence, and yet it is expected to pay with its life with no trial, no jury, and no say in what happens to it.
    5. Every one knows that sex will result in a pregnancy, so sexually active people (and everyone else) should be responsible for their own actions unless they are not free. Freedom carries with it a requirement that you must accept responsibility for your own actions.
    6. Pro-abortionists say: "If you don't like abortions, then don't have one." My response to them is: "That is a great logical process; you just changed my mind; I think I'll apply that to the rest of my philosophy and change my opinions about everything else too..."
    "If you don't like slavery, then don't enslave anyone."
    "If you don't like rape, then don't rape anyone."
    "If you don't like murder, then don't murder anyone."
    "If you don't like theft, then don't steal from anyone."
    "If you don't like lies, then don't lie to anyone."
    "If you don't like sexually transmitted diseases, then don't transmit one."

"If you don't like terrorism, then don't bomb anyone."
    "If you don't like animal cruelty, then don't be cruel to one."
    "If you don't like oppression, then don't oppress anyone."
    "If you don't like arson, then don't burn the property of anyone."
    As you can see this type of thinking is anarchy, at it's worst. Basically it says: "Shut up and let me do what I want; I don't care how it affects anyone else; I just want to do what I want to do." It is very self-centered and childish.
    7. Most atheists do not see anything wrong with abortions and will not give you the time of day once you mention god or one of the many "holy" books that religious people believe in.
    8. Another claim by abortionists is that the fetus is part of the woman's body and has no more consequences than removing some unwanted flesh. My response to that is: "If you smash your hand in a car door who feels the pain? You do! No one else, not your friends, your father, nor your mother. That PROVES that YOU ARE A SEPARATE HUMAN BEING, because you feel your own pain. If the fetus feels it's own pain, then that would make it a separate human being too."
    Please feel free to use my logical arguments to help stop abortions. Please be sure to give me credit for my work.
    Thank you for your time,
    Randall M. Jones

From an ideological perspective, there are many connections between abortion and slavery. Both fit the classic "pro-choice" model. Against Slavery? Don't Own a Slave! Against Abortion? Don't Have One! Lost in both equations is the victim, the human being who is made the property of another human being and thereby stripped of all rights of personhood and the inalienable right to life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand I'm done with this thread.

• Advertisement

Lox, you make 3 points, essentially.....

1) Abortion isn't a crime against humanity, as there's lots of people on earth.

I would argue that's irrelevant. I've certainly never claimed that abortion is a crime against humanity. Having said that, genocide is a crime against humanity, regardless of the numbers involved.

2) We should forget about abortion and concentrate on the bigger issues.

You can say that about any of the individual issues. I'm constantly banging on about how gender inequality is probably the most important cause of ill health on the planet.
    I've just accepted a job with an international public health role for this very reason. I'll take a massive paycut to do it, but it means a lot to me to addrss these issues. So, I'm happy enopugh with my attempts at tackling th ebigger picture.
    BUT, there are many problems that are a drop in the ocean in isolation. Doesn't mean we should ignore them.
    Plus I had assumed (perhaps wrongly) that we were debating in the Irish context. I'm much more tolerant of abortion in developing contries. However, it's important to realise that abortion rates haven't particularly followed a gender equality trend. SAFER abortions have, though.

3) If a woman wants to abort her fetus then it's none of our business.

We've tackled his point several times. The anti-abortion people don't feel that we can just look the other way when a defenceless baby is being harmed.

3)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

All the pro-life arguments would be very convincing, both from theists and atheists, if I believed a foetus was a person. The really is the crux of the matter, and so far all their arguments, however well thought and argued, have failed to convince me of this. I guess I have such a high regard for what a person is I can't lower its stature by giving something barely alive the same definition.

The most interesting thing about it is that you're absoloutely right to say that most abortions happen in developing countries. BUT you're this reflects population disparity more than anything else. What I mean is that you're not really any more likely to have an abortion if you live in a developing country. The WHO published a paper a year or 2 ago. There were about 23 or 24 abortions per 1000 women in Africa that year, as opposed to about 25 or 26 per year in developing countries.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the significance of that?

Hi tallaght01, you are right, it is very interesting. I understand your point (I think). The link I gave earlier, however, says the following:

"Legal restrictions on abortion do not affect its incidence. For example, the abortion rate is 29 in Africa, where abortion is illegal in many circumstances in most countries, and it is 28 in Europe, where abortion is generally permitted on broad grounds. The lowest rates in the world are in Western and Northern Europe, where abortion is accessible with few restrictions."

"The lowest abortion rate in the world is in Western Europe (12 per 1,000 women aged 15–44). The rate is 17 in Northern Europe and 21 in Northern America (Canada and the United States of America).'

This to me reads as if the developed Western (particularly European) world has indeed quite a significantly lower abortion rate compared to developing countries.

I cannot claim to be an expert in the field, but I found the rate in Northern/Western Europe rather interesting. I would hazard a guess that the social systems established in these countries are to a large extent responsible for the lower rate of abortions: childcare, education system, health system, gender equality etc. Another aspect that I found addressed here is sexual education and contraception. Apparently, there was a rise in abortions in several Northern European countries in the mid 90s. An explanation discussed was interesting:

"Studies in two of the countries have suggested that the increase resulted from publicity about possible risks of third-generation oral contraceptives, which may have caused women to discontinue or avoid pill use."

This would support the point about sexual education and contraception.

Overall, I would say that a well-established social support system and sexual education is essential to cutting abortion numbers.* All things missing in developing countries and achieved to very differing degrees and in various forms in developed ones, some of which like the Netherlands and Germany even have rates far below 10.

*Stating the obvious I know...

All the pro-life arguments would be very convincing, both from theists and atheists, if I believed a foetus was a person. The really is the crux of the matter, and so far all their arguments, however well thought and argued, have failed to convince me of this. I guess I have such a high regard for what a person is I can't lower its stature by giving something barely alive the same definition.

I don't think being anti-abortion means we have less regard for other humanity. It's just a disagreement as to when we become "worthwhile". Like, a baby has a crappy brain and is parasitic. Just like a fetus.

I guess it's also the case that when you see babies born at 23 weeks it's hard to justify late abortions in particular.

But you're right, the issue you've raised is the crux of the argument.

Hi tallaght01, you are right, it is very interesting. I understand your point (I think). The link I gave earlier, however, says the following:

"Legal restrictions on abortion do not affect its incidence. For example, the abortion rate is 29 in Africa, where abortion is illegal in many circumstances in most countries, and it is 28 in Europe, where abortion is generally permitted on broad grounds. The lowest rates in the world are in Western and Northern Europe, where abortion is accessible with few restrictions."

"The lowest abortion rate in the world is in Western Europe (12 per 1,000 women aged 15–44). The rate is 17 in Northern Europe and 21 in Northern America (Canada and the United States of America).'

This to me reads as if the developed Western (particularly European) world has indeed quite a significantly lower abortion rate compared to developing countries.

I cannot claim to be an expert in the field, but I found the rate in Northern/Western Europe rather interesting. I would hazard a guess that the social systems established in these countries are to a large extent responsible for the lower rate of abortions: childcare, education system, health system, gender equality etc. Another aspect that I found addressed here is sexual education and contraception. Apparently, there was a rise in abortions in several Northern European countries in the mid 90s. An explanation discussed was interesting:

"Studies in two of the countries have suggested that the increase resulted from publicity about possible risks of third-generation oral contraceptives, which may have caused women to discontinue or avoid pill use."

This would support the point about sexual education and contraception.

Overall, I would say that a well-established social support system and sexual education is essential to cutting abortion numbers.* All things missing in developing countries and achieved to very differing degrees and in various forms in developed ones, some of which like the Netherlands and Germany even have rates far below 10.

*Stating the obvious I know...

I think they're very reasonable conclusions. BUT, the WHO figures (which actually primarily relies on research from the guttnacher institute that you quote in one of your links) have divided the stats into developed Vs developing contries. They've included all devloped and all developing countries in their research to avoid a bias against there being somehting about one country that would prejudice the data.

For example, if they just used scandinavia as their "developed countries" and anomaly in the swedish figures would skew the results. This is why it's probably ot goos science to quote figures for the states or northern europe when looking for the effect of a country's development on abortion rates.

So, with this in mind, the developing world rate is virtually the same as the developing world rate. The main difference being the rate of unsafe abortions.

Then you look at rates for individual countries and try to work out why that's the case. You say there's low rates in countries with ease of access to abortion. We can probably agree that ease of access to abortion is unlikely to DECREASE abortion rates.

So why are the rates so low in northern europe? Well, it's difficult to know. Usually you can look at trends and see a pattern. But I've been looking through the data for individual countries and I can't really work it out.

There doesn't seem to be a very obvious link between abortion and poverty. Having said that, if you remove Eastern European countries from your "developed contries" list, the figure for developed world abortions drops to about 19 per 1,000 women of childbearing age.

I'm a little stumped to be honest. I always thought there was data linking socio-economic staus to abortion. But I could have been wrong. Maybe it's to do with emergency contraception access. I know that made a big difference in China.

But I'll keep trawling the data to see if I can come up with something :D

I will try to prove the simple, common-sensical reasonableness of the pro-life case by a sort of Socratic logic. My conclusion is that Roe v. Wade must be overturned, and my fundamental reason for this is not only because of what abortion is but because we all know what abortion is.

This is obviously a controversial conclusion, and initially unacceptable to all pro-choicers. So, my starting point must be noncontroversial. It is this: We know what an apple is. I will try to persuade you that if we know what an apple is, Roe v. Wade must be overthrown, and that if you want to defend Roe, you will probably want to deny that we know what an apple is.

http://www.peterkreeft.com/topics-more/personhood_apple.htm

Ultravid wrote: »
    I will try to prove the simple, common-sensical reasonableness of the pro-life case by a sort of Socratic logic. My conclusion is that Roe v. Wade must be overturned, and my fundamental reason for this is not only because of what abortion is but because we all know what abortion is.

This is obviously a controversial conclusion, and initially unacceptable to all pro-choicers. So, my starting point must be noncontroversial. It is this: We know what an apple is. I will try to persuade you that if we know what an apple is, Roe v. Wade must be overthrown, and that if you want to defend Roe, you will probably want to deny that we know what an apple is.

http://www.peterkreeft.com/topics-more/personhood_apple.htm

Mate, people will be more likely to listen of you explain it in your own words, rather than just constantly providing links to other peoples opinions

Yes, I understand what you mean, tallaght01. I believe the issue you point out has a lot to do with how women perceive themselves, their rights, and their ethics. I know you dislike what I said about physical integrity, but I stand by what I said as this is what 'my body, my choice' is all about.

While it does not explain everything as you explained, I really believe that social security plays a big role. In Norway, for example, childcare costs, while dependant on the parents' income, do not exceed 275 Euro a month for anyone. (Compare that to what you pay here per week! :eek:) Schoolbooks are free, as is the bus ride to and from school. Costs for health care are also drastically low. Equality laws are among the most advanced in the world. And the average abortion rate since 1998 is 13.3, so quite a lot lower than that in developing countries. The same site will also show you that since abortion has been legalised in Norway, the numbers have risen for a while, then dropped. This dropping coincided with the economical growth of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 bquinn

bluewolf wrote: »
    I have, twice :) pro-life -> choice. Very, very rare though ^^

I have seen pro-aborts --> pro-life

I've seen many women who have had abortions, and seen 'what they aborted, change their minds and regret their abortion. They become strongly pro-life

• Advertisement

Some interesting statements from Planned Parenthood, one of the biggest abortion providers in America:::

"One sperm plus one egg = one baby."

- Planned Parenthood/World Population pamphlet entitled
    "ABCs of Birth Control," 1973, page 4.

"An abortion kills the life of a baby after it has begun. It is dangerous to your life and health."

- Planned Parenthood 'Plan Your Children' pamphlet, 1963

"Abortion is the taking of a life."

- Former Planned Parenthood Medical Director
    Mary Calderone, who is pro-choice [American Journal of Public Health]

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement