Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher Extended Edition

Options
  • 17-09-2008 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭

I'm a big RPG fan and I normally stay up to date with game news, so I'm surprised that I completed missed this game when it was originally released in 2007, and I've only now heard of it through stories on the extended edition.

It looks really interesting. Anyone here play it? Thinking of picking up the re-release this Friday when it comes out. The developer deserves a clap on the back for apparently taking player and media criticism to heart the first time round and tyring to address the first game's failings, and whats more, they are giving the extended edition to original registered owners of the first game for free, which is an awesome gesture and goes some way in restoring my view of humanity.

Anyway, interested to hear opinions of those who've played this game...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Yep, really looking forward to grabbing the free patch on Friday and getting stuck into it over the weekend.

Didn't get all that far into it, and stopped playing due to a bit of a difficulty spike, so I'll be playing through it from the start on easy:o
    Really enjoyed what I played of it, especially the more adult themed nature

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Jilm

I've played through the witcher twice and have had to stop myself playing it again in anticipation of the EE. Definitely worth the buy if you like RPGs. It'll also be available on Steam from Friday.

tman, play the game on medium/hard.
    After the big ghost hound battle, the difficulty evens out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,176 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Free patch on Friday to upgrade the original and two small adventures as well. Sounds like a good excuse to play through again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Will this be compatible with old saves ?:confused:

Spunge wrote: »
    Will this be compatible with old saves ?:confused:
    According to the offical forums, old saves will be compatible with the extended edition.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I hear that this was an absolutely great game that let itself down with bugs, poor translation and the like. From what I've read, they have sorted all of these problems along with other improvements. I will definitely buy this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'll pick this up as well i think, as long as they have ironed out most of the issues. And crippled that god damn dog boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Jilm wrote: »
    tman, play the game on medium/hard.
    After the big ghost hound battle, the difficulty evens out.

I got past that bit without too many problems,
    got to the swamp in the next act and kept getting seriously owned by some big plants
    I can barely find the time to play games as it is, so don't really want to extend the lifespan of a game that'll take me 40+ hours to clear.
    Think I backed up my savegame anyway, so maybe I'll just try to pick it up from where I left it and keep the difficulty the same...

tman wrote: »
    got to the swamp in the next act and kept getting seriously owned by some big plants
    Hint... if you want one :pac:
    Plants are vulnerable to your Igni sign (fire attack) & there are potions you can make that can protect against their poison attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭cashville

Great game..I would highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't played it...the original was buggy as hell and crashed a lot but hopefully this will be sorted in the new edition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

tman wrote: »
    I can barely find the time to play games as it is, so don't really want to extend the lifespan of a game that'll take me 40+ hours to clear.
    Think I backed up my savegame anyway, so maybe I'll just try to pick it up from where I left it and keep the difficulty the same...

I remember having fierce trouble at that section at first: however gain couple of levels and that whole area becomes managable.

Have to say I enjoyed the original. It does have its flaws and the combat system got a little annoying after a while for me, but I am glad that a small European company could make such a good game. Tbh they will learn a lot from making the witcher, especially going back and making the changes for the extended edition, I look forward to see what they will release in the future.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I'm at two minds about applauding a developer who basically are saying well we arsed it up first time around so we'll have another crack at it. It's good in one way but does nothing to encourage devs to get it right first time.

musician wrote: »
    I'm at two minds about applauding a developer who basically are saying well we arsed it up first time around so we'll have another crack at it. It's good in one way but does nothing to encourage devs to get it right first time.
    I'd also give them some slack as the developers are new to the scene.

Downloading the EE is a bit of a pain. I'm getting the Upgrade file through rapidshare as the Polish servers can't handle the strain of so many users downloading at once.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

musician wrote: »

I think it's good thing, though I can see what you mean. Better to get the game it should have been now, than never it all.

EE & Director's Cut's work well with Movies & DVD's so why not with games as well. Of course if it ever turned out to be a way of just gouging cash out of people, that's another story.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Just popped into the square. Sodding €44.99 in Game, Tallaght. Is that the standard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

For GAME i say yes. Most new release (i know its a rerelease) are around 50euro

Well it seems less than what you would pay in GAME in the city centre.

If you could buy it online from Direct2Drive (which you can't) and adding VAT on top, it would cost €34.

It's £24.99 (~€32) at cdwow.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Bought the original but didn't get too far in it. Felt I needed a horse or something. I just seemed to be running from the pub to the bishops house and back again and seemed to take ages. Just got sick of all the endless running back and forth.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I played it and gave up half way through because of the ridiculous load times. Will defo play through it again after I get the update. Good game and as far as I can remember a decent story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

anyone know if this is available in the dundrum centre? I tried zavvi, xtravision and gamestop in Gorey / Arklow and no luck. Gamestop even told me it wasn't being released until next month, but I think he may have been looking at the October 2007 release date for the original in error. Dundrum would be my next port of call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

best to give them a call, 2963107

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Been playing this all evening and through the night - its awesome! Really happy with it. I never experienced the old game so I can't compare the improvements, but it seems very polished alright, and load times are minimal.

Also, I love the adult tone. Example:

Geralt: "Why do humans hate non-humans?"
    Dwarven Blacksmith:"
    Why do pricks go in c*nts?
    " :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Darwin

It's £24.99 (~€32) at [URL="http://www.cdwow.com
    /The-Witcher-Enhanced-Edition/product/view/3786333"]cdwow[/URL].

Good spot, 40 euro on cdwow.ie, be sure to buy from cdwow.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

yep, thanks for that. Ordered.

Now the long CDWOW wait begins.

bah, knew i shouldn't have ordered off CDWOW.

"We are currently awaiting stock of this title and hope to be able to dispatch this item to you on the 26/09/2008."

what's the point of marking it as "In Stock" on the site when it isn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

£18 on
    http://www.dvd.co.uk/Games/The-Witcher-Enhanced-Edition-PC/OC40260/product.htm

I bought it from them a few months ago and they delivered fast - would recommend them

thanks!

cancelled my CDwow order and ordered it off that site.

If you're really skint, you can buy the original game here for £10.13 (and download the EE content for free).

http://www.dvd.co.uk/Games/The-Witcher-PC/OC30087/product.htm

Of course it would be better to support the devs and buy the EE for a few quid extra. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭wayne040576

If you're really skint, you can buy the original game here for £10.13 (and download the EE content for free).

http://www.dvd.co.uk/Games/The-Witcher-PC/OC30087/product.htm

Of course it would be better to support the devs and buy the EE for a few quid extra. :pac:
    I was just about to say it would be cheaper to do this.

Advertisement