Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sad Songs/Pieces of Music

Options
  • 16-09-2008 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭

Myself and the missus were lying back and relaxing the other day having a natter as you do. I had a random assortment of mellow music playing in the background and at one point noticed she was crying. I asked her what was wrong and she told me she thought the piece of music was very sad. It was a piece from Amelie. I was a little surprised as I thought it was somewhat optimistic myself.

So good peeps. What songs/pieces of music do you find sad (in the emotional sense smartypants :pac:) She found the following very sad:

Comptine d'un autre été: L'après-midi
    Adagio for Strings (I can understand this one!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I like the music used in this section of the Simpsons its fairly moving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'm in no way a Final Fantasy person at all, never even played it, but I found this piece in some "related video" link ages ago and it's very beautiful and quite sad. The video works really well with it too :)

cormie wrote: »
    I'm in no way a Final Fantasy person at all, never even played it, but I found this piece in some "related video" link ages ago and it's very beautiful and quite sad.

Nobuo Uematsu is an absolutely incredible composer, he's written some absolutely remarkable music, and you don't need to be a fan of the games at all to appreciate it. Here's one incredible piece of his orchestrated:

Beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I have a love of popular classics / instrumentals and just like OP's choice , find Raymond Lefevre's Soul coaxing to be quite uplifting but depending on ones mood ,could also make one sad .

Soul Coaxing

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Nobuo Uematsu is an absolutely incredible composer, he's written some absolutely remarkable music, and you don't need to be a fan of the games at all to appreciate it. Here's one incredible piece of his orchestrated:

Beautiful.

As far as I can gather, it's not actually Nobuo's piece that I linked to and the song isn't actually part of FF at all. It's from an album called "Thảo Nguyên Xanh" is all I know so far. Very nice though and does sound quite like Nubuo.

As far as I can gather, it's not actually Nobuo's piece that I linked to and the song isn't actually part of FF at all. It's from an album called "Thảo Nguyên Xanh" is all I know so far. Very nice though and does sound quite like Nubuo.

Ah right, well Nobuo still rocks. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

The song by Moby from the final scene in the movie Heat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Doyix3dRGb8&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Always strikes a cord.

I always think that No Surprises is terribly sad too. Not so much the composition, which is why it's so sad. It's a theme that strikes home with a lot I'd imagine. The point where one just gets so very fed up with constant hurt that you pray to be numb. The lyrics are so tragic yet the music is throwing up the facade of comfort. It's a really sad song pretending to be a lullabye.

@OP If you like that song I suggest checking out Yann Tiersen - L'Absente. It's another beautiful composition by Yann Tiersen. Ludovico Einaudi is also a fantastic piano composer and player.

Moonlight Sonata has always mesmerised me since I ever discovered music even if it has been cliche'd to death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,820 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Grandaddy - "Underneath the weeping willow"

and of course

Spinal Tap "Lick my love pump"

its in D minor - the saddest of all keys...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

have a look at this, some very sad stuff on it.

myspace.com/patrickleydon

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Sigur Ros - Hoppipolla

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭Rigsby

By far the saddest song I know is...... "Old Shep" by Elvis. :D

I cry rivers any time I hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I've mentioned this track on other threads for other reasons but it fits here perfectly. One of the most amazing and sad pieces of music I have ever heard...

Brian Eno - An Ending (Ascent)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

May be sad for some and up lifting for others.

Beautiful song either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Nothing is quite as sad and piercing as Johann Sebastian Bach's 'Air' on the G String. Another good one is Stanley Myers' Cavatina.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Anything form Gorecki's Symphony No.3: Sorrowful Songs.

But especially this one:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Janis Ian's- At 17. This clips from The Old Grey Whistle Test and comes with a little intro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efHOIT1ROk8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

gustavo wrote: »
    I like the music used in this section of the Simpsons its fairly moving

Wow that's really lovely, does anyone know what it is?
    I'm in no way a Final Fantasy person at all, never even played it, but I found this piece in some "related video" link ages ago and it's very beautiful and quite sad. The video works really well with it too :)

Excellent piece of music there cormie.
    latchyco wrote: »
    I have a love of popular classics / instrumentals and just like OP's choice , find Raymond Lefevre's Soul coaxing to be quite uplifting but depending on ones mood ,could also make one sad .

Soul Coaxing

Hmnn not one I found particuarly sad or moving but what a great piece of music, thanks for helping me discover it. I think I'll have to check out some of Raymond Lefevre's other work as a result.
    Kold wrote: »

Always strikes a cord.

I always think that No Surprises is terribly sad too. Not so much the composition, which is why it's so sad. It's a theme that strikes home with a lot I'd imagine. The point where one just gets so very fed up with constant hurt that you pray to be numb. The lyrics are so tragic yet the music is throwing up the facade of comfort. It's a really sad song pretending to be a lullabye.

@OP If you like that song I suggest checking out Yann Tiersen - L'Absente. It's another beautiful composition by Yann Tiersen. Ludovico Einaudi is also a fantastic piano composer and player.

Moonlight Sonata has always mesmerised me since I ever discovered music even if it has been cliche'd to death.

Ahh Moonlight Sonata, so obvious it almost shouldn't be allowed, a great piece of music.
    Felixdhc wrote: »
    I've mentioned this track on other threads for other reasons but it fits here perfectly. One of the most amazing and sad pieces of music I have ever heard...

Brian Eno - An Ending (Ascent)

I'd forgotten about that. Excellent.
    sedohre wrote: »

May be sad for some and up lifting for others.

Beautiful song either way.

It's a lovely song alright. I guess it can go either way depending on your mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Simply because when it's performed well it's stunningly beautiful:

It might not be an obvious one but when I'm out walking or travelling somewhere and have this coming through the headphones it strikes a chord with me:

This is far too short, I really wish it were longer:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,421 ✭✭✭✭cson

Two for me;

Moby - Porcelain
    Snow Patrol - You Could Be Happy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

"Atmosphere" by Joy Division, sad circumstancually anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

As above, very much in the same vien as this one from secret garden - Nocturne

Some pleasent selections in the thread all round :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I wish my baby was born by Tim Erikson on the Cold Mountain soundtrack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

Wow that's really lovely, does anyone know what it is?

That piece of music from the Simpsons is called Everyday by Carly Commando. I think it can be downloaded for free from here: http://www.last.fm/music/Carly+Commando

The video is a reference to this YouTube video where it first became popular: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B26asyGKDo

It's an excellent piece of music though.

It reminds me of "Before Dawn" by Isaac Shepherd, as was used in this game: http://www.isaacshepard.com/music/swept-away/music-catch/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPGztcSCznw&feature=related

Calling All Angels from the film Pay it Forward

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Another one:

Aphex Twin - Kesson Dalef

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

No Surprises and Adagio are good ones. One of the saddest songs I've ever heard is Arcade Fire's In The Backseat, though. It's not everybody's cup of tea, the way they use her voice is definitely an acquired taste and all, but I mean -

-is really damn sad. Plus:
    "In the backseat" is about how I behave in a car. And how I wish my Dad taught me how to drive. And how I woke up one morning and had to take a cab to find out that my mom was dead.

I mean, unless you actually strangled a bunch of kittens midsong, it doesn't really get sadder than that.

Failing that, Feist's Intuition is apparently impossible to find a decent recording of on Youtube, but always gets me. Anything Thom Yorke touches turns to sad. Smashing Pumpkins used to be a good bet, too, Blank Page is desperately sad, I think.

Advertisement