Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best cheap beer?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

I died a little when the €1 a can promotion on Amstel in O'Briens ended ... surprisingly nice beer for the price!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Threads merged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Socrates01

I'd second that! £2.79 for 4 cans of Lowenstein from Aldi and it'd damn good stuff for the price! In my opinion, it is superior to many of the mainstream budget lagers and for the price, definately worth a try if you're on a tight budget or even if you're not!

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Socrates01 wrote: »
    I'd second that! £2.79 for 4 cans of Lowenstein from Aldi and it'd damn good stuff for the price! In my opinion, it is superior to many of the mainstream budget lagers and for the price, definately worth a try if you're on a tight budget or even if you're not!

Hidden gem m8. Mind you sshhh!!! If everyone starts buying it they will up the price.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    I died a little when the €1 a can promotion on Amstel in O'Briens ended ... surprisingly nice beer for the price!

Its basically heineken under a different name isn't it? I didn't like it but if you're looking for an alternative to heineken and you like it belt ahead. In terms of cheap beer I quite like the Aldi belgian beer, its like 99c a can, galahad is drinkable if you just need beer, not something that tastes nice. Most of their spirits are grand, especially if you're using a mixer. Beamish is 1.55 as opposed to 2e+ generally for Guinness, least that's what I see it advertised at. Prazsky is nice too about 1.30. There's plenty of choice out there in terms of cheap beers and even nice beers, I remember even when I started college (it was only 6 years ago, although that sounds long now) there was feck all choice except dutch gold if you wanted cheap piss, every year since then it seems to have gotten better.

• Advertisement

Its basically heineken under a different name isn't it? I didn't like it but if you're looking for an alternative to heineken and you like it belt ahead.

Not a big Heineken fan myself at all, so there must be a few differences between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

No one has mentioned Superquinn's Euroshopper beer.

They were doing 4 for €4 up until recently. Now 1.15. Even if I could afford to buy the most expensive beer in the shop, I'd still buy this. It's the nicest beer going and all natural ingredients. Try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Tyskie 2 for 3 euro omfg this stuff is lovely 5.6% rocket fuel and it tastes lovely too.

digme wrote: »
    Tyskie 2 for 3 euro omfg this stuff is lovely 5.6% rocket fuel and it tastes lovely too.

Have you tried Warka. Tesco have/had it for 1.49 a can and its 5.7%. Its a lovely beer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Worztron

Try the German beer in Aldis. It is awesome.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Newcastle Brown Ale is typically €1.30 - €1.40 for a 500ml can, in Dunnes. Not bad for a decent beer.

Newcastle Brown Ale is typically €1.30 - €1.40 for a 500ml can, in Dunnes. Not bad for a decent beer.

Its a good price but the canned stuff tastes terrible compared to the bottles of NBA. I thought I had a bad tin but it lasted throughout all the cans and the same when a bought it again at a later date. Horrible metallic taste. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JnarF

I managed to pick up a good few bottles of BrewDog 5am Saint on offer in O'Briens a while back. Best "cheap" beer I've had in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭thenutflush

Bier D'Or in Tesco is a very nice beer, and only 8 euro for 20 x 250 ml bottles. Would drink it before miller or budweiser for sure.

Perhaps not thought of as a "cheap" beer, but tesco's offer of 24 stella artois for 15 euro is pretty good value, and it's a nice strong beer.

Other than those, I like tuborg.

Carling, Harp and Bavaria are 3 beers I have no time for...they give me bad heartburn and bavaria in particular has a horrible taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Bier D'Or in Tesco is a very nice beer, and only 8 euro for 20 x 250 ml bottles. Would drink it before miller or budweiser for sure.

Perhaps not thought of as a "cheap" beer, but tesco's offer of 24 stella artois for 15 euro is pretty good value, and it's a nice strong beer.

Other than those, I like tuborg.

Carling, Harp and Bavaria are 3 beers I have no time for...they give me bad heartburn and bavaria in particular has a horrible taste.

The thread is about best cheap beer, not cheapest mucky beer dude.

A quid a can for Tuborg in O'Brien's, and a lovely beer in my opinion. I might be a bit biased though, it's the first beer I ever had back in the day :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    Have you tried Warka. Tesco have/had it for 1.49 a can and its 5.7%. Its a lovely beer :)

another thumbs up for Warka

grabbed a few cans at the weekend, lovely full taste and packs a nice puch at 5.7%

Tazz T wrote: »
    No one has mentioned Superquinn's Euroshopper beer.

They were doing 4 for €4 up until recently. Now 1.15. Even if I could afford to buy the most expensive beer in the shop, I'd still buy this. It's the nicest beer going and all natural ingredients. Try it.

Got a couple of cans to try. Its made in Holland by Bavaria, so its not the BUL dutch intimation crap you buy here.:)

The Euroshopper is a great beer for the money thumbupyellow.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

posted here about a year ago looking for advise and today I'm going to recomend

Tyksie, Lech, Prazky, Warka, and Perlenbacher

between these 5 beers I've been more than happy for the last year or so...

all well worth a try and you won't break the bank either

• Advertisement

Good old Stella. 20 440ml cans for €17 in Tesco's. See a nice chilled can of Stella, magic :)

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    Good old Stella. 20 440ml cans for €17 in Tesco's. See a nice chilled can of Stella, magic :)

Was in tesco today, its deffo 20 cans and not 18 as I first posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭I Love Cheese

Bavaria Prazcy Hackenburg or Karpackie.
    Preferably Bavaria

Dutch Gold 12 for 10 euro in tesco's.

Stella 4% 30 cans for 20 Euro, great deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Dutch gold for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PhilTorres

Cans of Carling for a euro are lovely when there cold I think. Wouldnt be much of a fan of Dutch but I'd drink it if I had too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Stella (wella away from it!) Artois gave me the worst hangover ever recorded a few years ago so i avoid it like the plague.[/Quote]
    when I read that about Lech I thought I'm the same with Stella even one pint gives me a thumping headache. Best stay away from Lech then.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Had 4 cans of Hackenberg last night, not a bad beer, worth the €4.99 :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Worztron

yoyo wrote: »
    Had 4 cans of Hackenberg last night, not a bad beer, worth the €4.99 :)

Nick

Is that Belgian?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Worztron wrote: »
    Is that Belgian?

Yep, This is it

Nick

Advertisement