Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classical Civilization

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭medeame

Military history as an aspect of the civilization. Given the prevalence of the army and empire in both Greek and Roman history I'd view it as important.

Writing and drama, which seemed to make up the bulk of the course from the intro lecture, would be smaller aspects, in my mind of civilization.

You are both correct, the past most excellent Classic Civilisations dept covered all, both military which was an all important and equally tied up with daily society apect and also the art, archaeology and literature, equally what made these people who and what they were.......
    sadly, all but gone now, Classic Civ had died a death at NUIG, beaten, downtrodden and destroyed, just like the Greeks and ancent Romans with not a triumph insight.

Messers Arkins, Madden, Peacock and especially Herring, should be given medals at least for all the shape and sucess of classic civ before it was annihilated by Gilgamesh!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

medeame wrote: »
    the past most excellent Classic Civilisations dept covered all, both military which was an all important and equally tied up with daily society apect and also the art, archaeology and literature, equally what made these people who and what they were.......
    Damn, that's exactly the kind of thing I'd be interested in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭medeame

Damn, that's exactly the kind of thing I'd be interested in.

I know Kickout, you and hundreds off others.

Well, you could all write to Kevin Barry Dean of Arts and ask him to reinstate Classic Civilisations as it has been run very successfully for many years.

It is YOUR uni, and it is YOUR education.

Do it through the education officer or president at the students union if you wish, no names are needed it is in confidence. It gives you a good voice without being victimised.

Advertisement