Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Ireland gone too PC?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

No
    Red Alert wrote: »
    Yet another reason to like the Poles, they're not PC either... I mean come on, the kids of today will end up so sensitive they can't either give or take an insult in jest.
    Yep too right.

Whenever I get a woman back to the bedroom and put on my piped music ( get on the pole from jerry springer) they act all offended.

Is there something wrong with my technique or should I ask are they from Dundalk first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

No
    what are yer views on the following???

i dont know how it is in other Irish towns/cities but in Dundalk town centre we are asolutely PLAGUED by roma beggars. on the main street in town there are anywhere from 5 - 8 begging full-time at ATM's, the post office and various shops. they have look-outs at both ends of the street ( absolutely pointless as the guards dont give a toss ) who collect money from them every hour or so.
    these people are not homeless- they were handed houses and apartments in the town centre when they arrived in the country-and they all recieve social welfare so i for one will NEVER give them a penny as long as i breath. i really think the guards need to do more to stop it and i think social welfare should get involved also i.e. cut the benefits of anyone caught begging.
    if the above views make me a racist in the eyes of PC ireland then SO BE IT.:D

I'm sick to the teeth of the agressive 'give me money or else' attitudes of Roma beggers and routinely tell them to fukoff, but lets be realistic about one thing here: The gullible (or probably easily intimidated) goshytes who are giving these chancers money are every bit as much to blame. If nobody gave the Roma a penny we'd all be able to walk through town without having to put up with that crap.

No
    Jaysus - I never met a sensitive Dundalk person yet.

They had to Abandon The Miss Sensitive Dundalk Beauty Pageant a few years back because they could find one. Other than Sr Nora a retired nun and it was discovered that she was from Cavan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The question's rather vague: how can one tell whether "Ireland" has become too PC? In what situations? In spoken form or written form? What is too PC?

There are some people who are PC, there are others who aren't.

No
    Dudess wrote: »
    The question's rather vague: how can one tell whether "Ireland" has become too PC? In what situations? In spoken form or written form? What is too PC?

should the question be limited to Dundalk then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Case Sensitive

No
    Aaargh,

Comeon you gotta admit people swear less these days compared to 5 years ago, even in Pubs. For no reason, swearing doesn't hurt anyone. And when was the last time you heard a good, proper invalid / gay / racist joke. I miss it, I miss the honesty of laughing at those less fortunate or integrated. To a certain degree that makes me an asshole, sure. But for FF sake, I'd rather have that then the approval of the thought police.

No
    Aaargh,

But for FF sake, I'd rather have that then the approval of the thought police.

I see its really a political issue.

I agree with you as it happens that FG crowd have no sence of humour.

Met Enda Kenny during the last election and asked him whether or not he would apologise to the Jews for FGs behaviour during the last war if he beame Taoiseach.
    Absolutely no sence of humour.The lads from FF who were at my door at the time thought it hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

No
    Dudess wrote: »

Vague!
    I prefer the term broad.
    i.e Political Correctness in all its forms.
    I hope I satysfied your question.

Well I don't really know how the term could be applied to a country - if I was asked "have people become too PC?" then I don't know really. Plenty of people aren't PC, some are ridiculously sensitive about every word said but I find them few and far between. I know one guy like that - you can't say "I really fancy the black guy" if you're referring to the sole black man within a group of otherwise white men in front of him. :rolleyes:
    Other than him though, I think people have become more tolerant, which is NOT the same as PC, despite what a number of people who use this forum think :)
    There are still plenty of bigots, but being un-PC doesn't necessarily make a person a bigot.

So I think it depends on what the definition of PC is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

CDfm wrote: »
    should the question be limited to Dundalk then

No but people from Dundalk should be confined to the immediate area. I don't care if that's non-PC dammit!

• Advertisement

No
    No but people from Dundalk should be confined to the immediate area. I don't care if that's non-PC dammit!

You mean like a quarintine thing.

And would that include or not include indigenous Roma gypsies or would it be restricted to the aboriginal Dundalk population?

Once you've set foot in Dundalk you can never get rid of the shame, quarantine them all I say. Lord of the flies sort of thing will form from it, and then the town will be left to the romas whoever wants it the most.

No
    Once you've set foot in Dundalk you can never get rid of the shame, quarantine them all I say. Lord of the flies sort of thing will form from it, and then the town will be left to the romas whoever wants it the most.
    And lets face it not even Cromwell wanted it and the people of Dundalk have been upset about that for a long time.

No
    I think in fairness there is a general air of near-hysterical PC attitudes pervading the place, and too much of anything is a bad thing. I read a letter posted to the letters page in a newspaper recently by a man somewhere down the country (it may have been Waterford) who'd been laid off along with the rest of the workforce; needless to say they were all heartbroken. They accepted it however, assuming that the factory was about to go under and that their employers had had no other choice.

Two weeks later, lo and behold, their jobs were filled by economic migrants working for the minimum wage. Naturally the Irish workers were outraged; but we are living in the type of cultural climate where it is not considered politically correct for those men and women to express their anger and disappointment lest someone may be offended!

Their anger wasn’t even directed at the foreign workers, it was directed at their employers and at the unfairness of the situation as a whole, but the PC mindset says that it is unacceptable to express annoyance, however justified, where there are people with any type of difference involved. Now personally, I'd have one word for that type of thinking - bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

How is it too PC? The fact that people frown on you for being racist?

I don't know what the problem is here, none of your civil liberties are being taken away. I think anyone with a brain will be able to tell the difference between labelling one person and labelling a whole race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

No
    Kold wrote: »
    How is it too PC? The fact that people frown on you for being racist?

I don't know what the problem is here, none of your civil liberties are being taken away. I think anyone with a brain will be able to tell the difference between labelling one person and labelling a whole race.
    :rolleyes:
    You're the only pro PC person that I've met who appears to have that ability.I'm not saying that you are the only person of your kind with a brain or anything. . . . . . but it sure looks that way.

But what exactly is pro PC? Anti racist or just being a complete eejit (i.e. "Baa baa rainbow sheep" - that could be an urban legend though)?
    seahorse wrote: »
    I think in fairness there is a general air of near-hysterical PC attitudes pervading the place, and too much of anything is a bad thing. I read a letter posted to the letters page in a newspaper recently by a man somewhere down the country (it may have been Waterford) who'd been laid off along with the rest of the workforce; needless to say they were all heartbroken. They accepted it however, assuming that the factory was about to go under and that their employers had had no other choice.

Two weeks later, lo and behold, their jobs were filled by economic migrants working for the minimum wage. Naturally the Irish workers were outraged; but we are living in the type of cultural climate where it is not considered politically correct for those men and women to express their anger and disappointment lest someone may be offended!

Their anger wasn’t even directed at the foreign workers, it was directed at their employers and at the unfairness of the situation as a whole, but the PC mindset says that it is unacceptable to express annoyance, however justified, where there are people with any type of difference involved. Now personally, I'd have one word for that type of thinking - bollocks.
    I agree 100%. The problem though, is when certain people use an example such as the above as justification for being anti-foreigner in general. But anyone who thinks those workers don't have the right to express their anger just because their "replacements" aren't Irish, is a muppet.

Thats bull and has nothing to do with being PC or not. People can criticise the employer for laying off the staff without criticising the new employees. The only one making it about the foreign workers is you.

No
    Im with you on this - there are redundancy laws - so whats wrong with people involking their statutory rights.

That said its hard to enforce these rights if the workforce are not members of a union.

No
    Thats bull and has nothing to do with being PC or not. People can criticise the employer for laying off the staff without criticising the new employees. The only one making it about the foreign workers is you.

People ought to be able to criticise the employer for laying off the staff in a situation like that without the inference that they are also criticising the new employees, but this is not always so in the perceptions of a lot of people who’ve gotten carried away on the PC bandwagon and if you think otherwise you're incredibly naive.

• Advertisement

No
    Well if the new employees have stolen your jobs they are fair game.

Romantic Irelands dead and gone its with O'Leary in the grave. If it is true whats wrong with a bit of boycotting,eh?

No
    CDfm wrote: »
    Well if the new employees have stolen your jobs they are fair game.

Romantic Irelands dead and gone its with O'Leary in the grave. If it is true whats wrong with a bit of boycotting,eh?

I doubt the new employees would have even known what had gone on before they got there CDfm, but as for the boycotting idea, if it was my job I'd raise holy hell and boycotting would be a good place to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

If this website represents a slice of the general populous, I honestly can't see how we are PC at ALL here. Where is all this 'PC' business? It's only a minority here who hold the opinion that it's a good idea to think a little bit before flapping one's ignorant gums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Is that not just the more darker side of the free market?

Can the employer not do whatever they want with there business.

Sure they may be unethical, immoral numpties, but is it illegal?

No
    I think there are redundancy and other issues here but without seeing the circumstances - you cant really comment- a dead duck really cos its all conjecture.

But you can be sure.If it was Dundalk it wouldnt happen because the only foreigners there are Roma Gypsies and they would be too afraid.

Too afraid of work that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Short answer: No.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Case Sensitive

No
    Square Igloo,

Do you mean "No, Ireland has not gone too PC, its still possible to make dodgy jokes for a laugh"

Or do you mean "No, Ireland is not PC enough just yet. Lets take some pointers from the Christian Right buffoons?"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Square Igloo,

Do you mean "No, Ireland has not gone too PC, its still possible to make dodgy jokes for a laugh"

Or do you mean "No, Ireland is not PC enough just yet. Lets take some pointers from the Christian Right buffoons?"

What? Erm, facism has never been attributed with political correctness as one of it's attributes.

As far as I can see, you can laugh at any joke you want to. I have a pretty twisted sense of humour, I don't however think that everyone has to laugh at these jokes or that I should be able to roar them out as loud as I can.

Ireland is not too PC. There's nothing to stop anyone having an opinion. However, no opinion is bulletproof and you hoping that you won't come under criticism is just pure naivity.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

No
    Some people seem to be 'new PC.' They are PC about 'new' issues- the influx of Polish nationals, the many black people who now live in Irish towns and cities etc; but are completely un-PC about everyone and everything else.

I used to listen to the Adrian Kennedy phone show on the radio and that's ridiculously PC, but only about non nationals. If someone complains about going into spar and asking for something and the person behind the counter doesn't speak a word of English, they're cut off for being racist. If someone started a story with something like 'I was in a restaurant and there was this black man who..' they're stopped by nervous presenters shouting 'now don't get racist! If this is racist we're just hanging up!' The SAME presenters who constantly use phrases like 'knackers' and 'culchies.' The same presenters who call people 'scumbags' because of where they live and mock various callers Irish accents but who would have a heart attack if someone mocked the way a Chinese person spoke.
    At least if someone is going to be over-the-top PC, they should at least be consistant about it. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Square Igloo,

The first one.

Advertisement