Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tell your story ..... I found Airsoft when .....

Options
  • 12-09-2008 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭

I found Airsoft when ....Glenn (Gyle) called told me about this web site 'www.hrta.ie' we had a look ,it was decided i would buy AEG that day (long over 18yrs old ).Remember seeing the lads in combats and armed with AEG thinking this cann't be legal .since that day I've made some great friends and shot them more than once.
    since that day i now have 5 aeg's and 3 gbb , I want MORE !!!

please add your bit

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

My missus' brother was having a stag, and part of that involved playing paintball in Ashebourne. I'd always had this vague idea I wanted to try it out, but didnt know much about it. I did a quick Google, and discovered the Airsoft & Paintball forum on Boards.ie. Then I discovered the airsoft pictures thread, started drooling, and started buying airsoft gear.

And it kinda got out of hand.......

[Good thread Dave]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

I was looking for some info on camera shops in dublin back in april so I went to boards because I remembered there was a photographic forum here. I came to the home page and seen there was a post in the 'airsoft forum'.

I went straight into it (I've known about airsoft since the mid 90's but didn't know it was legal here) and discovered this fantastic world of Magpul PTS and Eotech replicas!

Awh the endless fun!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

I was playin paintball too and the referee was telling me about it and that he wanted to get an M4a1, then a few days later it was on the FM104 phoneshow. there was someone from our side sticking up for it, very knowledgable etc, doing a good job and there was some idiot kid that was digging a whole.,lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

My friend lived close enough to HRTA 1, so we thought we'd give it a try.

I finally found a use for that friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

A mate of mine showed me one of his shorts (think it was Colt or something)one day, I nearly had a seizure! after the shock he told me it was all legal and above board, so then I did a bit of research and like a lot of us, I fell over you lot here on boards. Started sending money to some guy with a Hindu name in Dublin, he would send me back boxes with lots of goodies in them. I've got it under control now...the voices only come in the night now, mostly...:P Have only managed to get to one skimish site, must try the others.

Psst. I don't think that guy in Dublin is Hindu, don't tell him I said that though....hes got more of these than me!;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

long time member of boards, seen airsoft on the front page and gave it a look and was instantly hooked, bought an aeg a few months later, got a ****load of guns now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

Back in 1990 it was. Discovered an article in my combat pistols magazine. Instantly fell in love with the concept. Went straight around to the Garda station where I managed to horrify the garda on front desk duty. I was told I'd have to get a licence for a single shot futuristic shotgun, but the SA-80 with the foot pump ( for full auto ) would be illegal here. As was everything else that I was interested in, pistols, smgs etc.

Waited 16 years & then magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Had got a springer in the UK in 2004, then again in 2005(KWA M9 spring). Then, while looking online to see if I could get a deagle in June 2006 I stubled accross Airsoft Ireland. After a little looking I discovered the change in the law legalising airsof here. Then, Predator Combat Games. Boot UP. Went twice, ordered over $1K worth of kit from WGC between the three of us, pred again, HRTA first Day, Kit arrives, we're all smiles. Been in it since the change of the law and the first day of HRTA, and Its been great.

Ye lads are great, and thanks for the thread dave:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

+1 on the thread dave, breath of fresh air!!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭NakedHedgehog

My story starts back in 1993.
    I was living in Germany at the time and my friends and I all got our hands on springer pistols. We played in the woods nearby - split in two teams... WITHOUT eye protection(!!!!).

After moving to Ireland in '96 I didn't play any airsoft at all until about 2002 when I went over to Sweden to visit some friends. They geared me up and slapped an M4 AEG into my hands. Had a day of CQB action in an old factory. I bought an AEG and kept it in England where I flew over once/twice a month to play in sites there. Then in 2004 I went back to Sweden and attended Berget 4.
    It was awesome. After that I was well and truly hooked again and been playing ever since (in Northern Ireland and England before it was made legal here).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

well i was alaways into guns and army and what not since i was little then one day about 4-5 months while looking at gun videos on you tube and stumbled upon some airsoft videos
    i had always thaught that you could only get little springer pistols and that they were illegal
    so started lookin around and found aeg's and the likes
    stumbled across the newbies start here thread but boards used to confuse me so i went to Afi but soon relized it was mainly up the north so came back to boards
    started looking around about airsoft sights in ireland and found hrta and fingal
    decided to go to go to fingal for a half day and loved it
    its now about 3 and a half months since my first skirmish and i have 2 aegs and have spent about 500 yoyos even though i got one gun in a raffle for about a fivers worth of tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

Saw an ak47 on ebay in january and said I had to find out more typed in this word in the title 'airsoft' and search ireland and boom, boards.ie!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭[--SC(+)PE--]

Went paintballing in Limerick a few times and was told off the Irish paintball site which i looked up, i was planning to get my own 'markers' as i had become obsessed when i somehow stumbled upon a long thread on boards discussing the proposed change in law which would make Airsoft legal.
    I couldnt believe it at the time and no one this side of the country seemed to know what i was talking about. After much research i bought a Tm m3 Benelli within a few days of the change in law and was surprised as hell that it made it through lol.
    I finaly got to skirmish with it quite a few months later by making the trip to Hrta's opening day [i had 4 guns by then :p and by god that was a great day]
    I love airsoft :D

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭private.G

my Airsoft life started with paintball. After a game a polish lad told me about Airsoft. So i started to dig i-net. And i found it:). first game. second, third. Como + rifle. Nearly out of monay but hapy as infant with rattle.
    Bigest thanks to People who brought Airsoft to Ireland and to those who showed how fun it is..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Saw a thread in Feedback about airsoft(the wiki thing). Read up on it and it sounded interesting so get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Stone.cold

Last December i was walking through a shopping centre with my family, when i came across a shop window and was frozen starring in like a kid outside a candy store, my beloved purchased an aeg for me as a christmas present, when i got home i typed airsoft into google and the rest is history.............

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I was in a boring lecture one day, and ive been on boards years, and noticed this airsoft board. Had a look at the picture thread ands went....why havnt i heard about this.

Played paintball for years, counter strike aswell and the like, and it was the next step in uber geekn3ss :)

Have to say im thrilled i did best thing ever....and amde some great friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Tommyboy71

Never knew it existed till a friend bought an AUG at T4BB in Nov 07. I almost had a shart when I saw it. He gave me the business card of the guy he bought it off and after I missed out on being able to go out for my B'day I decided to purchase one as a present to myself. When I was in the shop, I made the comment "It would be great if you could get a bunch of people etc etc......" and was told about HRTA. Checked it out when I got home and now I have an expensive hobby/cheap therapy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭Killinator

It all started years ago, While Me and Sniper were in the RDF, much of had to do with a liking towards guns, Sniper was looking up model guns and came across an airsoft version of the Steyr army version, along with several others(m16,m4,AK's,,etc....)
    We decided that we sooner or later we would have to get one,
    Got my first airsoft gun about 3(:eek:) years ago, an M16a2 springer, folowed later by a TM M92 Springer and a TM G3A3 springer, at this stage I was more than happy to have springers:D
    Then christmas two years ago I got a KSC M92F GBB, then during a lunch break later that year at work I was listening to Joe Duffy and this turned out to be the episode we all remember,I didnt care what people were saying about it, I just cared that it had managed to become legal, my thoughts turned to finding a proper gun and a site to play on,
    That christmas I got the legend that is the JG G36C and it was bliss, shortly after me and sniper made our first trip to G-TAC(geared up like we'd been there a dozen times before:D)

and its rolled on from there and heres hoping it continues to roll......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Had heard tid bits about it, then while arsing about on here came across airsoft section of boards, i am now setting out on my airsoft journey although a broke student starting to save to equip myself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭coys

i was having a perusal around this fine site and i came across the airsoft picture thread and i immediatley wanted one so i gotted one!!
    that and i always wanted people to "Get Some" without actually killing or maiming them!!
    haven't looked back since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i was in a shop in enisklillen looking for cables for my compound bow when i saw an aeg

he explained what it was how it worked etc and laughed at the fact thataltghough i had a potentially lethal bow i could not bring the aeg into the south

every time i was in enniskieen i would stare at that scar wishing that i could
    own it

then one day god made airsoft legal and i have three aegs 4 gbbs two sets of bdu and a box with 8 different types of bbs in it (about 30,000 all together) and a grenade thats more likley to hit me than anyone el;se

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

I've played paintball a couple of times in Wicklow, and the second time was just before Christmas; I was thoroughly disappointed with the experience. It was chaotic, messy, lacking in rules, the equipment was badly maintained and by nature inaccurate and erratic, and the experience was the exact same as the previous visit 3 years before. I wondered, is there no game like this, with the potential for tactics and strategy? People working as teams, realistic, accurate guns?

A few weeks later a colleague sent me a link to what looked to me like a damn realistic-looking toy gun, on a site called 'MIA'. A bit of Googling later and I knew what this was about. It looked promising. After several visits to the MIA store and being told to go look it up on the Internet (way to go selling the sport to me, guys!), I eventually ended up getting a Dboyi M4 CQB (the infamous - and still not fully functional - Chinook killer) on clearance sale and heading out to see airsoft in action at HRTA (also took several visits to find it). If it wasn't for Mel, Rew and Richie in particular, and the rest of the gang in general there and on Boards, I might have called it a day and not bothered further.

But that's the best thing about this sport, isn't it? The people who play it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

kevteljeur wrote: »

But that's the best thing about this sport, isn't it? The people who play it.

aaww

acually yes

family fight but they're still fam,ily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Keggers

Mine was a completely random and coincidental encounter that changed my life and decimated my savings, I was on youtube looking for Red Hot Chili Peppers when I stumbled upon this one called 'RHCP-Dani California Airsoft vid'
    It explained what this magical thing was I became addicted immediately. In my travels to find out more about it I stumble upon ye lot.

I still look at the video with a nostalgic tear in my eye: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw3zxU6iiUk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

7 years ago stumbled across rebeltroop website (long gone). Me and my mates bought a few sringers, good times insued.

Yeah im aware it was illegal 7 years ago, so sue me.....so were potatoe guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Arcto wrote: »
    7 years ago stumbled across rebeltroop website (long gone). Me and my mates bought a few sringers, good times insued.

ah potato guns, shooting at my window and leaving leaving a splat of spud

on it and stealing my mothers bags of potatoes good times :pac:

yeah, I got into airsoft when I found this forum, worst thing I ever did, its

cost me a lot of money :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭MaxForce

Arcto wrote: »

Same as that. My self and a mate in Clonmel started with springers from a site called Battleorders. Bought a LPEG in Salou. Thought it was the best thing since sliced bread until oneday I found this forum on Boards. From there I bought my first proper AEG from RSOV some kit from EHobby and all fun fun fun from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

Was interested in airsoft many, Many years ago(long before the law change) .I remember the first time I saw a springer M92. Shortly after that I joined the RDF(after all I got to fire real guns:D). Whilst in school I would be looking up airsoft websites, I remember breaking into a discussion with the school chaplain when he saw the things you could get.

I also rember printing up pictures of all these guns I knew I had to get. I especially liked the Steyr, having fired the real deal.(Although it turned out I never got a Steyr:p)
    Anyways eventully, 3 years ago I got my first AEGand my bro Killinator got 2 springer rifles. It was (I know now a BOYI M4 R.I.S.). Of course, not knowing any better, I thought it was the greatest thing ever and was quick to get a red-dot for ot.

It had officially started, AIRSOFT HAD ME!!!!!

Soon I got a G17 springer, UTG Steyr SSG Clone, and a CYMA MP5.
    And of course I got some webbing, couldnt use it, but I wanted it.

I loved paintballing after having gone a few times.

Then......THEN....

My brother calls me to tell me the good news.... Airsoft is Legal!!!
    (The greatest thing the Government has done for me, thats for sure!!)

Like a shot I'm looking up youtube for T4BB and Irish airsoft footage...
    It was Gizmodean(who I'm ncredibely grateful to) that directed me, through YouTube messaging, to boardss.

There I found it all!!!!!!!
    Especially important was finding the G-TAC page. I contacted Mrs Maxforce to let here know they'd have 2 new recruits coming.

So myself and Killinator turned up kitted out, with the other guys thinking we'd done it loads of times.:P

Brilliant, Absolutely Brilliant.:cool::eek::cool::eek::D

From there I've gone more and more to G-TAC, where I've met the soundest people ever, I've introduced new guys and helped found the LAD-S team along with Killinator and NinjaLMK.

Obviously after my first two LPEGS fell apart(Literaly) in the first skirmish (leaving me with my reliable Sniper Rifle), I got some more, far better guns, and then some with some more specialesed kit.

And now it continues ever on......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

some great stories , can't belive that them all

Advertisement