Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading with O2 (Pay Monthly)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Archeron

Just checked too and I'm no longer entitled to my upgrade that I was offered two weeks ago. I've had nothing but hassle with this shower of gimps.
    Definitely time to move, and I'll be doing it monday. :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

andyeire wrote: »
    The cc rep told me that it was in the contract that they could grant and withdraw upgrades at will.

My point was they contacted me to get me on a new 18 month contract 3 months before my original contract expired .I agreed to do this on the understanding that i could upgrade my existing handset.This was 6 weeks ago

I didn't sign a new contract as it was all done over the phone.I even rang them back a few days later to confirm the upgrade situation .

Now they insist i keep to my side of the agreement but they will not honor theirs .

And yes i will move all of my business away from O2 but it will cost me over 360 euro to get out of my new 18 month contract.

Is this legal?

they can hold you to a verbal contract if they posted you out a letter advising you were agreeing to a new one, if you never got the letter you should ring and ask them to put you back on your original contract if you had any time remaining left on it, and if the agent says no ask for a supervisor

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Still waiting for the original customer care person to contact me.

This is really ridiculous behaviour, In my case only way they can prove i agreed to a new contract is if they have the call recorded. And if they have that, it will also have in it me saying "I will only sign a new contract if i am guaranteed my upgrade on the 30th of september" and the sales girl replied with a "yes". So if they dont have the tapes ive signed nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Have been quoted €660 for teh remainder of my contract which has 13 months to run :(.

Was thinking of reducing my tarriff to the bare minimum of €15 which would leave me paying €195 then turn the phone off and go with a different supplier.

The girl in customer care lied to me aswell when i asked her "did o2 not think to inform their customers of any change before the decision was made?" she told me that the decision was made in th last 24 hours!!! which is a blatant lie as this has been going on for a few weeks.

castie wrote: »
    Still waiting for the original customer care person to contact me.

This is really ridiculous behaviour, In my case only way they can prove i agreed to a new contract is if they have the call recorded. And if they have that, it will also have in it me saying "I will only sign a new contract if i am guaranteed my upgrade on the 30th of september" and the sales girl replied with a "yes". So if they dont have the tapes ive signed nothing.

Was back on to customer care and aparently the letter they sent after conning everybody onto the new contract constitutes an agreement. They were very narky when i told them there is no signature on that and she actually said to me "its a verbal contract"!!!!!!! verbal contract my arse.

Just saw this blurb on the website by the way!!!!

Why choose O2?

We reduce your costs
    We put you first
    Easier to travel abroad
    We keep you covered
    Technology on the edge

• Advertisement

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Have been quoted €660 for teh remainder of my contract which has 13 months to run :(.

Was thinking of reducing my tarriff to the bare minimum of €15 which would leave me paying €195 then turn the phone off and go with a different supplier.

The girl in customer care lied to me aswell when i asked her "did o2 not think to inform their customers of any change before the decision was made?" she told me that the decision was made in th last 24 hours!!! which is a blatant lie as this has been going on for a few weeks.

Actually when it comes to these decisions staff find out at the last minute so that wasnt a lie, just remember the person sitting on the other end of the phone didnt make this decision so yelling at them wont help, so few people seem to understand that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

is it just that their current customers are not spending enough and they want to strip out all the "dead wood" and get some new high spending customers signed up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

krudler wrote: »
    Actually when it comes to these decisions staff find out at the last minute so that wasnt a lie, just remember the person sitting on the other end of the phone didnt make this decision so yelling at them wont help, so few people seem to understand that

Fair point, it wasn't the guy on the phone or in the store who changed the rules it was higher up.

Pretty pi$$ed myself as I also lost an upgrade as I was waiting for the bold to come out.

krudler wrote: »

I dont hold the staff responsible and certainly did not yell at anyone down the phone, you mentioned in another post about receiving the letter which would constitute an agreement...the customer care agent said the exact same thing which would lead to believe that you possibly work for O2.

The fact of the matter is i was on the phone a few weeks back to ask about the change of status on the online system from 'GOLD' to 'You have been pre-registered for an upgrade' and was told the system was causing problems and to try back again...shock horror the upgrade is now gone..this has obviously been in the pipeline for a few weeks now and yet again its the customer that gets the shaft and is met by disinterest when customer care is rung.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

Jaysoose wrote: »
    I dont hold the staff responsible and certainly did not yell at anyone down the phone, you mentioned in another post about receiving the letter which would constitute an agreement...the customer care agent said the exact same thing which would lead to believe that you possibly work for O2.

The fact of the matter is i was on the phone a few weeks back to ask about the change of status on the online system from 'GOLD' to 'You have been pre-registered for an upgrade' and was told the system was causing problems and to try back again...shock horror the upgrade is now gone..this has obviously been in the pipeline for a few weeks now and yet again its the customer that gets the shaft and is met by disinterest when customer care is rung.

you can tell O2 to prove you agreed to a new contract...them arbitrarily sending you a letter in the post would not consitute your agreement to it...they would then have to pull out the recording of your phone call...once they do that you can tell them that on that call you were promised an upgrade if you went onto a new contract....which is then a binding agreement. If they wont hold their side of the deal you dont have to either.

• Advertisement

daheff wrote: »
    you can tell O2 to prove you agreed to a new contract...them arbitrarily sending you a letter in the post would not consitute your agreement to it...they would then have to pull out the recording of your phone call...once they do that you can tell them that on that call you were promised an upgrade if you went onto a new contract....which is then a binding agreement. If they wont hold their side of the deal you dont have to either.

The only thing with this in my case the upgrade was already in place and was nothing to do with the new contract. I have already asked for the recording of the phonecall and am waiting to hear back so watch this space..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Happened to me too.
    Well annoyed.
    Going to phone up now for an explanation.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Happened to me too.
    Well annoyed.
    Going to phone up now for an explanation.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

I rang them today said i didn't get letter and wanted to go back to old contract.Was told no problem got them to confirm when my old contract was up .

So in the middle of October i will move both of my bill phones and swap 3 RTG to another network .

Smart move O2 :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 maxy jazz

come on everybody - stop moaning. you should have used the upgrades when you got them. o2 mobile selection is pretty dire. besides they are getting loads of new customers for the iphone so can afford to loose a few contracts here and there. I am an o2 customer, and I noticed that they are more interested in getting new customers than holding existing customers. existing customer are less valuable. stop moaning and move on!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

maxy jazz wrote: »
    come on everybody - stop moaning. you should have used the upgrades when you got them. o2 mobile selection is pretty dire. besides they are getting loads of new customers for the iphone so can afford to loose a few contracts here and there. I am an o2 customer, and I noticed that they are more interested in getting new customers than holding existing customers. existing customer are less valuable. stop moaning and move on!

Thats a load of bollocks. I've been trying to get an iPhone since they launched and its been impossible since they prefer new customers only. I had an upgrade available when I couldn't get one and now when iPhones are coming into stock my upgrade is gone, which means O2 won't sell you an iPhone.

Was just on the O2 forum and a statement has been releases regarding this subject, not good news im afraid its basically like it or lump it.

http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showthread.php?p=16810&posted=1#post16810

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Thanks for that. Confirmed my suspicions, poor play by O2. If I had known I could pre-approve my upgrade, I would have done so and got a reference no.
    Very poor communication from O2 and poor excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭decsramble

People who feel they have been fooled into renewing a contract with the promise of an upgrade that did not then materialize could contact ComReg and the sunday papers consumer desks like this guy

http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=16810&postcount=145

ComReg may be a toothless kitten but nothing says pissed off customers like phone calls from the papers to a PR dept asking for a statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

Joe duffffffayyyyyy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I'm really surprised that O2 have done this. In reality, how much discount off the handset did the upgrades give you?

Am sure that they were still not losing a lot of money based on the wholesale cost of the phones plus the fact that each upgrade means you are signed back into a 12 or 18 month contract.

Very bad PR on their part.

Having said that, I saw another thread where Meteor are doing the same to their bill pay customers too.

Will Vodafone and 3 follow suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Same old sob story - current phone has a minor text-receiving issue, after speaking to Customer Care they told my to get a new phone and that I had a Silver upgrade, so I go in to the shop 2 days later to buy a new phone as directed and the upgrade is gone. CC could have at least said "get to an o2 store quick or you're buggered". Silver criteria has to be about spend, it's nothing to do with time - I've had the same phone for about 4 1/2 - 5 years and all I'm entitled to is a polite "f*** you" no matter how much I mentioned moving to another provider. If only I'd made more than 3 phone calls in those 5 years, then they'd respect me. And if only Vodafone would pick up the Sony w760i....

Interestingly the guy in the shop didn't say that the criteria had changed, he said there were no more upgrades. I asked if he just meant on the phone I was asking about, but he pointed to the "Upgrade" bit of the on-wall blurb, it just said N/A for all the phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

well the only good thing about this is i feel much better about shelling out for a sim unlocked phone while i was on holidays! Will probalby have paid much less that if i was to get it from O2 now that my upgrade is gone. Hadnt used my upgrade previously as was wary about entering an 18 month contract.

Seems O2 are really on a race to the bottom to cut costs. 1st they outsource their i.t. now they change upgrade terms. what next?

Do any of the networks allow you join their pay monthly options without a contract if you dont want to get a new phone off them?

Scruff wrote: »
    well the only good thing about this is i feel much better about shelling out for a sim unlocked phone while i was on holidays! Will probalby have paid much less that if i was to get it from O2 now that my upgrade is gone. Hadnt used my upgrade previously as was wary about entering an 18 month contract.

Seems O2 are really on a race to the bottom to cut costs. 1st they outsource their i.t. now they change upgrade terms. what next?

Do any of the networks allow you join their pay monthly options without a contract if you dont want to get a new phone off them?

O2 do, you can get a sim only tariff, 30 days notice to cancel it at any time no contract involved and the plans are actually cheaper than if you got a phone with them

4 days after not hearing back from the original person i rang again. This time the person on the other end blankly said "no upgrade" and didnt even give me a chance to say anything before she said "i will remove you from that contract now if you want" I told her go ahead so as of now i am not contracted to o2 \o/.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

People should really vote with their feet on this. The networks are so saturated at the moment that they can bank on the majority just putting up with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭freetoair

Similar experience but different results. Was entitled to a Gold Upgrade, took a look online and noticed I could purchase the K800i for nothing, decided to upgrade from work. Went to work, checked the site and upgrade was gone. I called customer services, spoke to a very nice girl and told her I was having trouble with the website, that I selected to purchase the K800i and upgrade disappeared and no order was processed.

To make a long story short, she said she had to process my issue and would put a Gold Upgrade back on my account in a few days. Three days later she called me back and told me that the upgrade was back on my account online. So it looks like they have the power to make a special case of someone, but I think the whole thing stinks and is deceptive! Having said that it's not the first time Telefonica/O2/Esat have done this, there was trouble back in around 2000/2002 with upgrades when they amended the criteria and many people lost out!

Well ive changed. Had to change to speakeasy first as they wouldnt give me a previous bill since i was setup for paperless billing. SO changed to speakeasy and then hopped to 3 from there. All in all quite happy now. Got the SE C902 for 149 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Wouldnt everyone be So mad if their Customer Care line had also increased in price.. i.e €1.00/min.. that'd make your bill go up a fair bit!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

After 10 years, including 2 as an employee, I have left O2.

I did not wish to: I was perfectly happy with them, and was effectively driven away.

Money talks as I always say people. Stop complaining and walk away.

Irony is I have spend by the new criteria, they're just not authorising any upgrades at this point.

Advertisement