Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Connelly

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Its Connelly not Connolly, pedantic i know

However if you do wish to read Connolly, read Every Dead Thing, Dark Hollow, The Killing Kind, the White Road, etc etc

Much better imo and he's Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Killme00 wrote: »
    Its Connelly not Connolly, pedantic i know

However if you do wish to read Connolly, read Every Dead Thing, Dark Hollow, The Killing Kind, the White Road, etc etc

Much better imo and he's Irish.

To be even more pedantic...it's John Connolly, whereas this is Michael Connelly ;)

Also, I absolutely love John Connolly's stuff. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Have read every book from both authors. Just bought 'The Scarecrow', Michael Connelly's new book. I haven't started it yet, but it's a new thriller staring reporter Jack McEvoy. Even though I like all of his books I am always disappointed when Bosch doesn't star. I have recently began re-reading my collection and have to admit that Connelly's references to technology are really boring on a second read. Obviously technology changes rapidly but I believe a book should be written in as much as an 'ageless' fashion as possible. That said I will still continue to read his books as I always enjoy the theme and they are an easy read.

John Connolly's books are excellent, however I wasn't blown away by 'The Unquiet'. Parker is a fantastic character and Louis and Angel add greatly to his books. He's seriously dark and morbid and his research in to topics and locations are very thorough. 'The Lovers' will be out shortly.

However, I must say that as a continuous reader of both authors I don't find the appeal of either to be as compelling as in previous books.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Just finished the Brass Verdict and ...... meh.....not really impressed. Took ages to read which isn't a good sign. I like the character (Mickey Haller) but the plot just never really took off. There is a twist at the end but nothing shocking. Have finished all his books now except The Scarecrow so may get that tomorrow.

Can anyone recommend any other similar authors for me to move onto?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

James Ellroy (author of LA Confidential) comes highly recommended - I keep meaning to get around to reading his stuff. I tried another set of novels about a detective based in New Orleans, but found them really dull. Can't remember the character or author. Personally I wouldn't bother with crap from Lee Childs, James Patterson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Just finished Nine Dragons, best MC book in a while IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Completely agree with the consensus on here - read The Overlook and it was fairly awful! Just wish I had done some research before buying it because most of the reviews are bad.

I've read a few of Connelly's books. 'Angels Flight' was absolutely brilliant and really enjoyed 'The Closers' as well.

Which of his would you recommend other than these and The Lincoln Lawyer which I've also read? I have a copy of 'Trunk Music' sitting on my shelf, worth a read?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Trunk Music is good - but you can't really go too far wrong with many of the Bosch books. I would try and read them in order though, as obviously they can reference each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I've read most of the Bosch books. I think Lincoln Lawyer was the last Connelly book I picked up. They really are an excellent series, and as most of you have also said, the earliest were the best. My favourite was The Black Ice, but to be honest I loved them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Read the Nine Dragons and The Reversal. Fairly enjoyable reads. Nine dragons would be my preference as The Reversal is very much a courtroom thriller and I much prefer Bosch on the streets. His Half brother Mickey Haller plays a big part and his daughter will probably be making appearances in any future bosch novels.

• Advertisement
Advertisement