Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Connelly

Options
  • 11-09-2008 8:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Hi there, First time posting in this forum so forgive me if this has been done. Has anyone read any of Michael Connelly's book? I am a real fan now and have been working my way through all his novels. He is a murder mystery/ suspense writer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I've read all his books. The older Harry Bosch stuff was very enoyable, but a lot of his more recent output has left me unimpressed - The Overlook, in particular. It just had a real aura of having been published just for the money.

I would also advise you to avoid Void Moon and A Darkness More Than Night like the plague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 kovski

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I've read all his books. The older Harry Bosch stuff was very enoyable, but a lot of his more recent output has left me unimpressed - The Overlook, in particular. It just had a real aura of having been published just for the money.

I would also advise you to avoid Void Moon and A Darkness More Than Night like the plague.

Totally agree. Add Dropping the Dime as well. I love the Bosch series. The best stand alone novels are The Poet and The Lincoln Lawyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gillsmyth

Well, my favourite book of Michael Connolly's was 'Void Moon'... Just so not EVERYONE on these boards skips it!

I think he is a great writer of gripping crime stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gillsmyth

gillsmyth wrote: »
    Well, my favourite book of Michael Connolly's was 'Void Moon'... Just so not EVERYONE on these boards skips it!

I think he is a great writer of gripping crime stuff.
    Just to mention also that the Lncoln Lawyer is a superb read

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Completely agree with this. I think he tried to jump on to the "post 9/11 America" band wagon and it didn't turn out too well. It seemed very short, and the entire premise didn't really make sense to me.

The Lincoln Lawyer was probably my favourite of the non-Bosch books. Blood work was OK, but seemed written for film. And dear Jebus, was that a poor film...

Angels Flight is my favourite of all the collection, but I think it is later on in Bosch's time line, so maybe read the earlier ones first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Love the Bosch series. Find Mickey haller hard to get into though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Here's a list of the Harry Bosch appearances from this page on his site.

I hope it means the order in which the books should be read, in case it's different to the order in which they were written.

Rather than kill off the series altogether as Bosch is getting older, I wonder would there be a possibility of a prequel...
    The Black Echo (1992)
    The Black Ice (1993)
    The Concrete Blonde (1994)
    The Last Coyote (1995)
    Trunk Music (1997)
    Angels Flight (1999)
    A Darkness More Than Night (2001)
    City Of Bones (2002)
    Lost Light (2003)
    The Narrows (2004)
    The Closers (2005)
    Echo Park (2006)
    The Overlook (2007)
    The Brass Verdict (Coming Out October 14, 2008)

eoin_s wrote: »

I hope it means the order in which the books should be read, in case it's different to the order in which they were written.

Rather than kill of the series altogether as Bosch is getting older, I wonder would there be a possibility of a prequel...

Excellent idea regarding the prequel. There's a minefield of scope with his early life, his mother's death, his being in care etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I love the harry bosch series, moreso older ones but i will always have time for them matter of fact i have beside me a triple book, the black echo, the black ice and the concrete blonde i always pick this up every couple of months and read through it 759 pages keeps me entertained for awhile

Am i right in thinkin there is a new bosch out/out soon? Sorry only saw eoin_s's post there now

Oh and i enjoyed the mickey haller ones not as much though

I think its a new Mickey Haller, but Harry is in it too. They're half brothers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Rather than kill off the series altogether as Bosch is getting older, I wonder would there be a possibility of a prequel...

Thanks Eoin, I read his first three and a few random ones after that. 3 of his books for 10 Euro in Bookstation:) I have started the poet now and I think it's one of the best so far. Cant wait to read the narrows now....seems its a follow up. Loved city of bones, Angels Flight, lost light, closers, echo park and the overlook. Must agree though the first ones are best but maybe thats because I read them the wrong way round!

The only one I really didn't think was much good was The Overlook. When you compare him to other crime fiction writers, his weaker efforts are still better than some of the other terrible efforts that the likes of Lee Child and James Patterson produce.

When you compare him to other crime fiction writers, his weaker efforts are still better than some of the other terrible efforts that the likes of Lee Child and James Patterson produce.

I'm convinced that people only read James Patterson to reassure themselves that they actually still can read...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Read Echo park last week on hols and was pleasantly surprised. I'll try another couple of these Harry Bosch ones if i get my hands on them.

Just finished the last coyote and i cant wait to read the next one. I have trunk music and blood work but think I'll go with the next in the series, trunk music, and see what happens in his life next. I also see the new book, Brass Verdict is out now too but going to wait til I read all the ones I've missed.

Have to say he is one of my favourite writers!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

I've been a big fan of the Harry Bosch series for years, especially the earlier Bosch stuff. Every so often I'll go back to the start of the series and re-read them all again. They're like old friends at this stage :D

Not a fan of the Lincoln Lawyer though

Sorry for the thread bump, but I just finished the Brass Verdict.

It's not what I was hoping for. I think it's just Connelly either trying to establish a new series of books through the Haller Character now that Bosch is getting quite old, or doing his best to write movie/TV friendly scripts.

It's not a bad read by any means, and it's a decent length (unlike The Overlook), but I think Bosch fans will be left a little disappointed.

Thats disappointing Eoin. Have not read it yet but will soon. I read Trunk Music and enjoyed it but I am only getting really stuck into Blood Work now....250 pages in! The Poet would have been my favourite of his novels so far even though its not a Harry Bosch novel and will read 'The Narrows' soon (Seems it's a follow up).
    Looking forward to reading 'A Darkness more than Night' next. Any reviews on it folks?

I just re-read the Narrows. It's not bad, though for some reason I much prefer when Connelly writes in the 3rd person for Bosch. Can't explain it though. I also just finished chasing the dime - it's a once-off novel, not part of the Bosch series. It's alright, but nothing special.

It's been a while since I read a darkness more than night so I won't bother trying to give you a half arsed opinion on it. Actually, I'll just read it again now I think!

My favourite so far is Angel's Flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/movie/void_moon
    Not much details on this but its definitely being made though imo it was quite a weak book not one of his best . Agree with the other posters the earlier Harry Bosch novels are definitely his best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I really enjoyed the Lincoln Lawyer, I'm reading the Brass Verdict at the moment. The earlier Bosch books are brilliant, I enjoyed aspects of Void Moon but to my mind it wasn't a patch on the Bosch novels.

foxy06 wrote: »
    Looking forward to reading 'A Darkness more than Night' next. Any reviews on it folks?

I was very disappointed. Here's my amazon.com review of it:

"Great!" I thought, when I read the synopsis of this book. "Harry Bosch and Terry McCaleb, together in the one book! This has got to be good". Unfortunately, I was mistaken. I wanted to cry out in frustration that a book with seemingly so much promise could fall so short. I hate to see a great idea that hasn't been realised to its full potential, but here is a prime example.

The story goes that McCaleb has settled in wedded bliss on Catalina Island and is living the type of life usually only seen in television commercials, when an old colleague, Jaye Winston, knocks on his door and asks for his help investigating a murder, all the clues of which point to LAPD detective Harry Bosch as the killer. Has he finally crossed over to the dark side of the law? McCaleb and Winston certainly think so. However, Bosch himself then turns up on said doorstep, protesting his innocence and claiming he's been framed. He wants McCaleb to clear his name.

Connolly seems to be showing an increasing predilection for setting his books against the backdrop of a major trial in which one of the protagonists is participating. This is a major flaw in this book as it distracts us from the main plot, and can also get very boring when he launches into the legal minutae of a criminal or civil trial. I was very tempted to skip forward a few pages several times.

I loved McCaleb in "Blood Work", but in this book he comes across as a stuffed up old prune, the kind of person who irons creases down the front of his jeans. Bosch is as irreverent as ever, thankfully; but the Golden Rasberry for Most Annoying Character is won hands down by McCaleb's wife, Graciela. She constantly fights with him about how he is risking his life and his family by helping out with the investigation, having apparently conveniently forgotten that he did the exact same thing for her when her sister was murdered and she asked for his help.

A Darkness... isn't a terrible book, but it's certainly disappointing by Connolly's standards. Not as bad as Void Moon, but close enough.

Just finished a darkness more than night and have to agree with you I was dissapointed. The fact that the trial takes up so much is a little irritating. Its the narrows next. Going to skip void moon for 2 reasons, its a stand alone book (not a bosch novel) and it seems to have gotten pretty bad reviews.

Can't seem to get The Narrows in the local bookshop so may have to order it. Really looking forward to it as The Poet was one of my favourites and it seems he is back in this novel. Any reviews would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well I finished the Brass Verdict and overall it's a good book but it's not brilliant. I was slightly disappointed to be honest. I loved the Lincoln Lawyer and I love the Bosch novels so I was sure this would be a hit but to be honest it just never quite made the mark for me. Patches of the book are great but some of it is just a bit twee, especially the 'big twist' at the end...

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Hyndsy85

I think im going to have to go against the trend here and say i dont particulary like the harry bosch series. I have read every michael connelly book bar 3 of them i think and most of them i read last year alone. I know this must make it look like im talking ****e about not likeing the books considering ive read so many but truth be told ive be drawn to them because they are pretty good stories however as each book i read my hatred for the harry bosch charcter grows and grows.

Ive never read any other book(s) where ive hated the hero. He's a d**k with no likeable qualities in my opinion so although i like the plot of the books with each read i get angrier and wish to see the demise of harry bosch. I cant read another one

To each their own, but I much prefer a flawed (i.e. realistic) main character, rather than the supermen like Jack Reacher and Alex Cross etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

The Poet has to be one of the best thrillers to come out of the States. Excellent book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

I've dipped into some, only read one fully, Angel's Flight, which IMO was the best one.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭yarglags

Hyndsy85 wrote: »
    Ive never read any other book(s) where ive hated the hero. He's a d**k with no likeable qualities in my opinion so although i like the plot of the books with each read i get angrier and wish to see the demise of harry bosch. I cant read another one

I like the Bosch character but I hated Jack McEvoy and Rachel Walling from The Poet. I just could not care what happened to either of them.

McEvoy turns up in a later Bosch book and I got the impression that he was written as an annoying journalist. Maybe it was intentional that he was not meant to be liked in The Poet. Could just be brilliant writing by Connolly.

Is McEvoy really Connolly doing a cameo?

The Overlook was very poor. Too short, paranoid, solved in one day.
    Harry doesn't even get his leg over.

• Advertisement

yarglags wrote: »

Is McEvoy really Connolly doing a cameo?

Ugh, I hope not. That's about as onanistic as a writer can get.
    yarglags wrote: »
    The Overlook was very poor. Too short, paranoid, solved in one day.
    Harry doesn't even get his leg over.

The whole premise of it annoyed me;
    surely the worst thing to do in post 9/11 America is to stage a terrorist related crime and bring in the feds, rather than just stage a mugging in a city rife with it.

Advertisement