Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going pro

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Sorry Dav.....

Here.. Let me make it up....

Kirsten_Dunst-USMaximHot100-2k2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

sei046 wrote: »
    Sorry Dav.....

Here.. Let me make it up....

Kirsten_Dunst-USMaximHot100-2k2.jpg

Do you realize on topic that I could sue you for sexual exploitation!! I mean she is so hot and I never realized it. If I could only get rid of my belly, become a film star and well you know the rest..... let's just say play a game of tennis with her, I could be her ball boy, but I would have to ask master zen first. She (my cat) might feel that too much attention is swayed towards this female and need a bowl of milk and a tail stroke instead.l_dab5760f99c91b652b65bb82ba7d97b7.jpg Just look at those legs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

ffs, this topic has descended into pictures of hot girls and pussies.

Speaking of stroking the tail, Im off!

Better try and get some sleep at least!

jtsuited wrote: »
    ffs, this topic has descended into pictures of hot girls and pussies.

*ascended

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

jtsuited wrote: »
    Funny you ask.

About three years ago I was coaching at a tennis camp for kids. On the first day, in the first hour, a kid directly disobeyed me and ran into the net, fell over it and broker her arm so that it was at right angles (she fainted immediately when she saw it).

Everyone saw what happened, knew the kid was a bit of an idiot, and she went to the hospital, and we never saw her again.
    3 months later I got a letter from a legal firm on behalf of her parents stating they were intending to sue me for neglect.

Over 15 witnesses had to give statements about what happened. Detailed from every angle imaginable, and the parents dropped their case.
    It was a lot of hassle. They did full background checks on my coaching credentials ( and I mean really detailed checks), and all sorts of other things.
    I was covered only because I was formally qualified as a tennis coach. Certificates might mean nothing in the real world, but when legal arseholes, insurance arseholes and deluded nasty parents get involved, they're absolutely essential.

In this situation, it would probably have been a very different story if

a. you were just some randomer teaching there

and/or

b.

the tennis camp was just set up by some randomer.

And by randomer, I mean someone without the paperwork. It could have been organised by the best, most conscientious people, and JT could have been the best/most conscientious coach, but it wouldn't have mattered in a situation like that.

This is the same for anyone teaching, regardless of what it might be. To say that "in the real world" this doesn't matter is just being cavalier.

I have heard from the family who are teaching enough stories to know that this kind of thing is a very real concern in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

and/or

b.

And by randomer, I mean someone without the paperwork. It could have been organised by the best, most conscientious people, and JT could have been the best/most conscientious coach, but it wouldn't have mattered in a situation like that.

This is the same for anyone teaching, regardless of what it might be. To say that "in the real world" this doesn't matter is just being cavalier.

I have heard from the family who are teaching enough stories to know that this kind of thing is a very real concern in the real world.

yeah i probably should have put the bold letters in my original post, but you've emphasised the right parts for me.

Man. coming back to this thread...its like..

....Did..we.....You know...?

and/or

b.

First of all you are speculating on my insurance and where my camp was run, now your accusing me of being cavalier.
    You are speculating again! How can you speculate on situations that have not occurred? You are being a futurist. What if this and what if that. Sports is in a different league to sitting down and playing an instrument. What are your family teaching? In what area? Sport? School? Music? I doubt music.

Dav to be honest it doesnt matter what your teaching or where. The facts are the same.
    You have been speculating about your business this whole time. Your being a futurist! You have to be! What if you dont plan all eventualities?

• Advertisement

Dav to be honest it doesnt matter what your teaching or where. The facts are the same.
    You have been speculating about your business this whole time. Your being a futurist! You have to be! What if you dont plan all eventualities?

These areas that I am talking about are tried and tested areas of work that I have done well in, there is a difference. I have tried and tested each area.

ok, What im asking is,

What experience do you have if an issue comes up with an injury or a claim of indecency.

Then,

What is your plan and what measures (research, certification) do you have in place if this where to arise.

ok, What im asking is,

What experience do you have if an issue comes up with an injury or a claim of indecency.

Then,

What is your plan and what measures (research, certification) do you have in place if this where to arise.

Well if I have a camera on the floor taping the lessons I will have hard evidence to support my claim. I will have insurance should a child fall or claim to injure themselves and try to sue me over it. I have a written reference from a principal of the local school claiming that I am an excellent teacher. I will have witnesses and a lawyer if God forbid it came to that. A qualified teacher lay pregnant by a 13 year old student years ago, I don't know the full story but qualified or not if you are careful and mindful of these possibilities you can make sure to avoid contact with children in any way. I have my grades as a guitar teacher too. Anyone who thinks a page of signatures from parents is useless are wrong. Those parents could be summoned to court and many of them have sat in on lessons and watched me with their own children. I would have witnesses to support me falling out the doors.

TBH I think this is getting way off topic from scare mongers. I am not going to defend myself any further on the issue. People have said their peace I have said mine so let it be. There is a risk in everything we do with children and adults believe it or not and when you run an enterprise these are the things to be mindful of at all times, so I take everyones point. Moving swiftly on...

Ok, Well definitely have a chat with a few people about it if you can. Its like gear, studios, business, ANYTHING. Its always worth talking it over with people who have been in situations.

Ok, Well definitely have a chat with a few people about it if you can. Its like gear, studios, business, ANYTHING. Its always worth talking it over with people who have been in situations.

Cool. Business wise everyone has thrown in their fair say and good advice. If you want to leave it open thats okay but I for one, I want off this topic its starting to make me feel sick in my stomach. Lets get back to rents and renovations or something like that or location. We have yet to discuss location? Any areas in mind hotspots? I was thinking cabra..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

dav nagle wrote: »
    These areas that I am talking about are tried and tested areas of work that I have done well in, there is a difference. I have tried and tested each area.

... I have given Leaving Cert grinds on occasion. I have talked with others that do so as well. General recommended practice.

1 Don't go to the child's house. If they are home alone when you get there it puts you into a position of your word against theirs should anything be said.

2. Have them come to your house. Have someone else there and keep the door open or give the grinds in a place with glass panelling in the door or wherever, so that the situation is visible at all times.

Do I know someone who has even been in a situation where they have been accused of something? No. But it doesn't hurt to cover yourself. All it needs is for one thing to be said and that is your rep and your business is gone. What's more these people are qualified teachers for the most part, they have the certificate, the training etc. and they are still cautious beyond measure.

This is what it is like in "the real world".

Based on some of the **** I saw when I worked in schools parents can be pretty nutty at the best of times when it comes to their kids. Kids that would come in on Tuesday obviously on a bad e crash or whatever after the weekend, spaced out, dialated pupils, aggressive and a little deranged, and their parents would come in and defend them to the last. The list goes on, parents who were convinced that the school had it in for their child , parents who had diagnosed their own children with medical condition and required that the school behave accordingly etc.

Also, the reality is that Ireland is a pretty sue-happy place compared to other countries. When I lived in Germany, they would frequently have open road work sites which actually were a bit dangerous. There is a reason you would never see something like that in Ireland, a reason why anytime you see roadworks of any kind they are fenced off; people would be lining up to fall in otherwise.

The man is right Dav. On one hand I think your being very naive and only seem to want to look on how things can go right and are not too open to hearing about how they can go wrong. On the other if you really want to push it aside there is no point in saying the same points over and over.

The man is right Dav. On one hand I think your being very naive and only seem to want to look on how things can go right and are not too open to hearing about how they can go wrong. On the other if you really want to push it aside there is no point in saying the same points over and over.

look the points that are being made here are fine, resolute and straight down the line. The world is a dangerous place, businesses at time can be on the wrong end of the stick with these issues but if I am running a rock school or a music school and there is 2 other adult teachers employed there and acting as witnesses should a case come to light I will have back up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

This is what it is like in "the real world".
    +1

I tuned out of this thread once the lolcats made an appearance, but this raises an important point for anyone thinking of doing one-on-one lesson type scenarios. I actually know someone who was put in this position when the parents made noises about their teenage daughter visiting some random house.

People do not take their kids safety lightly, and the onus is very much on you to prove yourself squeaky clean.

FWIW I think I agree with sei046, I'd be unsure if you're really taking on board the negative stuff Dav, it's a poxy business and a little bit of cynicism won't hurt you in the long run. The good days are dreamy but the bad days are enough to make you want to pack it in.

You'll do well I'm sure, just don't let heart rule over head. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement