Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evening Herald today

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Turncoat

weeder wrote: »
    REALISTIC: Herald reporter Claire Murphy with the air gun which is identical to real Glock

airgun eh? didnt know glock was the plural to glock,(im sure some grammar nazi is going to pwn me if it is the plural)

and whats with the word "WEAPON" in the middle of the article not linking to anything or any sentence,

It makes me cringe when I hear someone referring to an aeg or a gbb as a weapon. Talking about being realistic a baseball bat, golfing iron or a cricket bat they are all weapons. Hell even being maced would hurt less than being hit with a plastic BB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

I've been off for the last couple of days, so I wasnt there when the reporter made the initial purchase, or when she made the follow up phone call to ask questions.

So I want to make a public thank you to Richie for handling her and the situation extremely well. Well done mate.

You're still not getting a raise though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

weeder wrote: »
    REALISTIC: Herald reporter Claire Murphy with the air gun which is identical to real Glock

airgun eh? didnt know glock was the plural to glock,(im sure some grammar nazi is going to pwn me if it is the plural)

and whats with the word "WEAPON" in the middle of the article not linking to anything or any sentence,

At a guess its a a relic from copying the print copy to the website which has a different format.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Tommyboy71

Shiva wrote: »
    I've been off for the last couple of days, so I wasnt there when the reporter made the initial purchase, or when she made the follow up phone call to ask questions.

So I want to make a public thank you to Richie for handling her and the situation extremely well. Well done mate.

Ahhh! LOL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Damn...
    there goes that idea...

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭tonky

Who said it was getting too quite around here ?
    Must have really been stuck for a front page.
    Notice the editor kept well away from this "story".
    Tabloid c**p really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

show on newstalk atm is the one that was at WCG, might get some airtime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Keggers

(Sorry in advance but a comment like this is obligatory) I didn't realise there were any laws against selling lego anyway fair dews to Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 34,597 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Turncoat - do me a favour and don't post anything like that ever again.

Keep it civil people, I'd rather not have to keep deleting posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

well that wasnt as good as i hoped it would be, shee chopped it to bits and left an error we corrected her on in :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

What!!!! you pay him...I though he did it for cookies:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Fade in...

Editor's office. Morning. Rain outside, again.

[Editor] Jaysus, it's quiet. Anyone got a story for the front page tonight? <yawns>

[Sub-editor] Dunno, boss. What about running the Sisters again?

[Ed.] Nah, that one's gone off the boil.

[Sub.] What about Bad Taoiseach?

[Ed.] No, we need that one for Tuesday. What about House Price Collapse?

[Finance Ed.] Awww boss, we're all feckin' sick of that one. Besides, we're doing it again on Monday and me Thesaurus has holes worn in it by now.

Murmurs of agreement around table.

[Ed.] I know, we'll do Cheap Guns, it's quite the thing this week. Darlin', run up to Cabra and buy an airsoft gun. Don't spend too much on it.

[Reporter] But boss, I don't know anything about guns.

[Ed.] Since when did that have anything to do with it? Look love, just buy something we can hang a story on and get a couple of scary photos. I'm sure you can manage that.

Exit reporter.

[Crime corr.] Boss, if you know the right bloke in the right pub, you can buy a real gun for only -

[Ed., sarcastically] I know that, ya eejit, but it's hardly News, now is it?

[Sub.] But boss -

[Ed.] Look, she'll be back in an hour, it won't take us more than 5 minutes to write it up, and we'll all be back in the pub before lunch. We'll have the whole afternoon to watch the footy. Splash on Page One - just make sure to put the word 'gun' in quotes in the headline, it'll keep the lawyers happy. Put the boring ****e about them being legal and harmless in col 3, page 2. No-one ever reads that far anyway. You can work the Metal Pellets angle in somewhere. OK?

Stands. Meeting begins to break up.

[Sub.] What's a 'jule' anyway?

Fade out...

The events and characters depicted in this script are fictitious. Any similarity to actual persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

OzCam wrote: »
    Fade in...

Editor's office. Morning. Rain outside, again.

[Editor] Jaysus, it's quiet. Anyone got a story for the front page tonight? <yawns>

[Sub-editor] Dunno, boss. What about running the Sisters again?

[Ed.] Nah, that one's gone quiet.

[Sub.] What about Bad Taoiseach?

[Ed.] No, we need that one for Tuesday. What about House Price Collapse?

[Finance Ed.] Awww ****e, boss, we're all feckin' sick of that one. Besides, we're doing it again on Monday and me Thesaurus has holes worn in it by now.

[Murmurs of agreement around table]

[Ed.] I know, we''ll do Cheap Guns, it's quite the thing this week. Darlin', run up to Cabra and buy an airsoft gun. Don't spend too much on it.

[Reporter] But boss, I don't know anything about guns.

[Ed.] Since when did that have anything to do with it? Look love, just buy something we can hang a story on and get a couple of scary photos. I'm sure you can manage that.

Exit reporter.

[Crime corr.] Boss, if you know the right bloke in the right pub, you can buy a real gun for only -

[Ed., sarcastically] I know that, ya eejit, but it's hardly News, now is it?

[Sub.] But boss -

[Ed.] Look, she'll be back in an hour, it won't take us more than 5 minutes to write it up, and we'll all be back in the pub before lunch. We'll have the whole afternoon to watch the footy. Just make sure to put the word gun in quotes in the headline, it'll keep the lawyers happy. Put the boring ****e about them being legal and harmless in col 3, page 2, no-one ever reads that far anyway. You can work the Metal Pellets angle in somewhere. OK?

Stands. Meeting begins to break up.

[Sub.] What's a feckin' 'jule' anyway?

Fade out...

The events and characters depicted in this script are fictitious. Any similarity to actual persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
    post of the month

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

OzCam: absolute legend, post of the month year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

kdouglas wrote: »
    OzCam: absolute legend, post of the month year.

+1

That was the funniest thing I've read in ages Ozcam...nice one.

I can actually picture Dermot Morgan and a few lads sitting around a table going through that routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Lomarticus

It's a pity that nobody other than the airsofters themselves get to see the huge benefits of the sport and that no-one tells those stories (I guess that doesn’t sell newspapers).
    The team-building qualities alone would put some corporate programmes to shame. The stress-relief is as good as a therapist and years of medication. The exercise is as good as anything you could get etc.

I personally owe an enormous debt of gratitude to Airsoft and the friends I have made through it.
    I was suffering from work-related stress so badly that (on instructions from my doctor) I was close to having to quit my job or face permanent damage to my health.
    That was only in April of this year.
    In June I discovered Airsoft and have never looked back. My stress levels immediately dropped and my health situation has been transformed. I can say without fear of contradiction that Airsoft is the best thing that has ever happened to me.
    Airsoft is literally saving both my job and my health.

Then come along articles like the one referenced in this thread.

It deeply upsets me when I see the sport I love, its clubs and their members being dragged through the mud either by non-players messing with airsoft-toys in public or by reporters, misrepresenting the sport and its players.

Airsofters, and the sport of airsoft is all about safety, honour, honesty, helping one another, being mindful of the public and the environment and obeying the law in every respect as it pertains to our sport. The airsofters I know are easily the most helpful, honest, trustworthy and safety-concious people I have ever met and it is an honour to know them. They are the best people I know in every sense of the word.

Reporters and the public need to understand that the people that mess with these toys in public and give Airsoft a bad name are "troublemakers" and they ARE breaking the law.
    They are NOT airsofters and they are NOT representative of the sport of airsoft, just as a troublemaker fighting in the street with a hurley is not representative of hurlers or the sport of hurling.

We (as true airsofters) are deeply concerned with the public image of ourselves and the sport and would never do anything to jeopardise it.
    Anyone that would break the law or act irresponsibly would be drummed out of any airsoft club without a second thought.
    You will never meet a person more interested in obeying and keeping the law as it pertains to airsoft than an airsofter.

It's a pity that an unbiased sports-reporter from a reputable paper has not done a real article on the sport (by interviewing the IAA) and presented it honestly as the safety-based reputable, law-abiding, team-building sport that it really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Stone.cold

Lomarticus wrote: »
    It's a pity that nobody other than the airsofters themselves get to see the huge benefits of the sport and that no-one tells those stories (I guess that doesn’t sell newspapers).
    The team-building qualities alone would put some corporate programmes to shame. The stress-relief is as good as a therapist and years of medication. The exercise is as good as anything you could get etc.

I personally owe an enormous debt of gratitude to Airsoft and the friends I have made through it.
    I was suffering from work-related stress so badly that (on instructions from my doctor) I was close to having to quit my job or face permanent damage to my health.
    That was only in April of this year.
    In June I discovered Airsoft and have never looked back. My stress levels immediately dropped and my health situation has been transformed. I can say without fear of contradiction that Airsoft is the best thing that has ever happened to me.
    Airsoft is literally saving both my job and my health.

Then come along articles like the one referenced in this thread.

It deeply upsets me when I see the sport I love, its clubs and their members being dragged through the mud either by non-players messing with airsoft-toys in public or by reporters, misrepresenting the sport and its players.

Airsofters, and the sport of airsoft is all about safety, honour, honesty, helping one another, being mindful of the public and the environment and obeying the law in every respect as it pertains to our sport. The airsofters I know are easily the most helpful, honest, trustworthy and safety-concious people I have ever met and it is an honour to know them. They are the best people I know in every sense of the word.

Reporters and the public need to understand that the people that mess with these toys in public and give Airsoft a bad name are "troublemakers" and they ARE breaking the law.
    They are NOT airsofters and they are NOT representative of the sport of airsoft, just as a troublemaker fighting in the street with a hurley is not representative of hurlers or the sport of hurling.

We (as true airsofters) are deeply concerned with the public image of ourselves and the sport and would never do anything to jeopardise it.
    Anyone that would break the law or act irresponsibly would be drummed out of any airsoft club without a second thought.
    You will never meet a person more interested in obeying and keeping the law as it pertains to airsoft than an airsofter.

It's a pity that an unbiased sports-reporter from a reputable paper has not done a real article on the sport (by interviewing the IAA) and presented it honestly as the safety-based reputable, law-abiding, team-building sport that it really is.
    Well said. and i'm glad to hear airsoft has had such a positive effect on you i feel exactly the same.

Here here!! Lomarticus, well said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭eagleye7

+1 definately thats the aspect of airsoft the public should be told about thanks lomarticus

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

some nice posts in here.

Have to say was sitting beside richie when he was being interviewed and he was tremendous, and considering i pick up the phone 99% of the time I was well relieved. But was truly honest and gave her great info, some which she used some which she didnt.

And I'm really chuffed I didnt give her discount, or Tony woulda lynched me :P

Also Lom there touched on a very interesting subject, I wont divulge into it in length, but Airosft is an avenue for many that bring alot of relief from disorders,illnesses etc, its a hobby/sport that you can immerse yourself in and chat to people about. WE have such a vast range of people from all over the place playing, with all different backgrounds etc etc.

I'm tremendously greatful to airsoft, cause i was never really the best at making friends, but airsofters are the most friendly helpful people I've met in my life, and from it has given me loads of great new friends, and a bloody tremendous job :D

*sniff* I love you guys

EDIT: For anyone wondering from the hazy picture, yeah she would've got it

I'm tremendously greatful to airsoft, cause i was never really the best at making friends, but airsofters are the most friendly helpful people I've met in my life, and from it has given me loads of great new friends, and a bloody tremendous job :D

Yeah, nice try.

You're not getting a bleedin' raise, neither. :D

Not more cookies......Jeez Shiva, any chance of a job? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

OI, back off you lot!!!!

I give customer experience rivaled only by 5 star hotels....so what if I cant make coffee, thats not the point :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

That was the funniest thing I've read in ages Ozcam...nice one.

I can actually picture Dermot Morgan and a few lads sitting around a table going through that routine.

hahaha, the lovely girl aeg competition....

ahh ted...

oz, very funny and probably very accurate.....

Lomarticus, great post...

father-ted-careful-now.jpg

hahaha, the lovely girl aeg competition....

Now there's an idea...

Thanks, Falls.

I just thought of something. Who do we ring in the Guards to report a possible crime, to wit, "Brandishing a Replica Firearm In A Manner Likely To Cause Distress Or Alarm To a Member Of The Public", photographic evidence of which possible offence was helpfully printed on page one of Saturday's Herald. Oh, wait...

Her Trigger Safety wasn't much good either. Setting a very bad example. Won't someone please think of the children?

Advertisement