Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evening Herald today

Options
  • 06-09-2008 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭

This article appears in the evening Herald.

Its not incredibly bad, but its certainly cherry picked of information to give it a certain "Oh noes!" slant.

Considering the source of the information knows full well how to explain himself and the sport, it kind of makes my previous point about deliberately seeking attention - we wont get the right message out, only the gun-toting-these-look-real one.

Well done to Richie for handling the situation so well (and the tip off last night).

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Poorly written trash , Trying to kick up a storm over nothing
    Glad I'm out of the industry now

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

Front page of the paper, must be a slow news day.

Very one sided reporting, and badly written, glareing mistakes "Weight of the gun" being one.

Nice line from the guards saying that a kids toy gun is the same, it depends on how it is used.

Well done to the Eirsoft lads for getting the right info across, even if it was not published. The care and responsibility they practice in the shop is obviously not news worthy.

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Kudos to richie.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,602 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

She sure does like the word weapon. I'm actually fairly amazed children aren't mentioned.

Anyway, nice work Richie :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭irlande

I like how its immediately drawn into contrast with the guns haul the other day.

Personally, I'd have thought a piece on the gangs/criminal organisations the guns were destined for would have been warranted, not a tabloid article on replica guns and their many "dangers".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Stone.cold

with real Glocks etc., so easily available on our streets cant see many criminals buying an airsoft version. must of been nothing else to report about today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

load of tripe

richie handeled that fine and fair play to him

the cops gave the same answer as eirsoft's answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

With all that crap they type you`d think they would use spell check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Could be worse :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I'm not really into airsoft myself but when I read that article I thought to my self 'what a load of sensationalist bullsh1t'

As an above poster said tying it in with the guns haul in Holland was just scare mongering. I would hope that anybody that read the article would have the intelligence to see that it's just a load of shite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Onkle wrote: »
    I'm not really into airsoft myself but when I read that article I thought to my self 'what a load of sensationalist bullsh1t'

As an above poster said tying it in with the guns haul in Holland was just scare mongering. I would hope that anybody that read the article would have the intelligence to see that it's just a load of shite

Thats the thing, its the herald. Its a trashy tabloid and a load of its readers probably will beleive some/all of it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭irlande

Thats the thing, its the herald. Its a trashy tabloid and a load of its readers probably will beleive some/all of it :(

and considering the Independent News and Media corporation fired like all their journalists a while ago, its probably just some lonely internet blogger or college student desperate for journalistic attention ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

thanks lads.
    In fairness to the news paper, all though its got parts we dont agree with at all, its not really as bad as some of the other articles we've seen in the past. At least we got the chance to give some factual information to the reporter and have it printed, unlike with some of the previous ones., :)

That said, its not difficult to pull up this information and learn a lot in a short space of time. A simple "airsoft" search in google will bring up a wealth of information and a lot of it linking back here to boards.,

credit to the reporter, regardless of motives for allowing our input, and to the IAA for their back up.,

cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

Originally Posted by Lethal_Bullet
    Thats the thing, its the herald. Its a trashy tabloid and a load of its readers probably will beleive some/all of it frown.gif

This is very true and a huge problem, people fail to see that they are like toy guns and are practically harmless to society unless brandished like a real gun.

I guarantee that a lot of people have gained a bias view of this shop and it's products, not to mention the reporter didn't even touch on the fact that it is a sport and can be only be used in designated area's or on private property out of view of the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Did the reporter not ask you about the availability of "mehal pellehs"?

Surely a pressing issue.

Edit: Oh ffs she did lol, just read the second half of the article :D

Well done Richie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 LSnK

High-force pellet guns are illegal in Ireland and are deemed an offensive weapon under the Firearms Act. However, guns of the type bought by this reporter are legal because the weight of the gun falls beneath one jule.
    Ha ha. It'd be nice if the reporter did enough research to know what a joule actually was, or how to spell it.

You guys say this is one of the better articles airsoft has received? Oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

So remember kids, next time you go skirmishing only use a gun that weighs under a joule. Do we shoot 'em now or throw 'em?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Our pricing gun in the shop weighs more than the Glock 17. I started to get very worried...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

fair ****s to richie great job in fairness mate

not to mention the reporter didn't even touch on the fact that it is a sport and can be only be used in designated area's or on private property out of view of the public.
    When she was in the shop we chatted to her about how the guns were desgned for a tagging sport, similar to paintball and that they should only be used on your own private land or in a skirmish site, we also presented her with the contact information for HRTA. she bought the gun under the pretence of it being a gift to her father who is a fan of military pieces and that he might be interested in playing the game.
    Motosam wrote: »
    Did the reporter not ask you about the availability of "mehal pellehs"?

Yep, she asked about the guns capability to fire metal projectiles. and i explained to her that these guns are desgned to fire only the plastic BB's we use. also that the guns arnt to be confused with air rifles which are a different thing altogether, they are designed to fire metal pellets and are much more powerful than our airsoft guns. I also explained to her that the air rifle would be classified as a firearm and would require the same licencing proceedure.
    LSnK wrote: »
    You guys say this is one of the better articles airsoft has received? Oh dear.

You abviously havent been around long...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

the weight of the gun falls beneath one jule.

Someone please explain that sentence to me. I may not have perfect spelling or grammer and ocasionally i get the facts wrong, but these people are suposed to be college graduates with journalism degrees.

EDIT:
    Also i love the way no one complains about paintball guns just because they dont look realistic. Paintball guns have the power to KILL. Used against an unprotected eye socket a paintball will go straight into your brain. But i guess because Pball is so accepted and "the norm" its not up for debate on slow news days by rag papers.

Fear the unknown ireland! whooooo !!! Something different! Lets slate it!

Pisses me off, no end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

As someone who works in a shop, 90% of the people who buy the city final of the herald buy it for the names of the jockeys in the horse racing pages. The kind of people who buy the herald probably are the kind of people who would believe this crap, if they even bothered to read the front page at all. This article just shows how pathetic a paper the herald really is. The fact that they think joules is a measurement of weight sums up the intellectual capacity of their so called "journalists".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

The Evening Herald is a trash tabloid that deals in sensationalism, not news. Unfortunately, most of the people who read it would rather have sensationalism as well.

The only paper I trust in this country to just report news, not give their slant on news ( or make up lies ) is the Irish Times.

J.

vtec wrote: »
    When she was in the shop we chatted to her about how the guns were desgned for a tagging sport, similar to paintball and that they should only be used on your own private land or in a skirmish site, we also presented her with the contact information for HRTA. she bought the gun under the pretence of it being a gift to her father who is a fan of military pieces and that he might be interested in playing the game.

I was referring to the article, I have no doubt that when talking to you in person she asked these things but she omitted them in the article

oh i know what ya meant, i was just filling people in on what happned when she came in to the shop., :)

Cool:)

I like the way she thought she needed an excuse also:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭hoplite

From the picture in the article it appears the reporter is brandishing the gbb pistol inside a car with finger on the trigger. Oh dear!!! :rolleyes: I hope she was safely inside the heralds car park.

Well done to Richie.

Now I'm off to weigh all my gear feck I cant find a scale that does joules!!!

love it how she gave an excuse to buy the glock, then ya see the same glock plastered on the herald, did she say she was a journo when she went in or was she just some randomer asking questions?

REALISTIC: Herald reporter Claire Murphy with the air gun which is identical to real Glock

airgun eh? didnt know glock was the plural to glock,(im sure some grammar nazi is going to pwn me if it is the plural)

and whats with the word "WEAPON" in the middle of the article not linking to anything or any sentence,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

hopefully we got some good press today at the WCG, Tv3, RTE and newstalk were all there.

Na Taibhse ran an info stand and we had a lot of traffic.

Advertisement