Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking In Ucd

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

mloc wrote: »
    They did actually, they should bring that back. Full drivers licence and student card plus fee should get you one, staff free, otherwise pay and display. Make the sticker €200-500 a year. Done.

That would cut out most of the park and ride'rs and those who don't really need to drive to college.

€200-500 a year, thats way too much in my opinion, i was thinking more along the lines of €50. The full driving licence shouldnt be an issue either, it doesnt fall on ucd to enforce that law although it would take a lot of drivers out of the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Lets say you spend €600 a year on petrol, €350 on motor tax and €500 on insurance. All pretty reasonable numbers and I'm sure a lot of students pay a bit more than that on insurance.

Why would you charge a €50 parking fee? Who would bat an eyelid at that in the face of massive running costs and depreciation?

We have limited parking in UCD, too many cars chasing too few spaces. If you want to remove non-UCD people, people who could cycle, bus or walk to college, then you need to make the cost of parking a realistic cost that will make them consider the alternative.

Sure parking in town for a week would easily surpass €50. I think I'll take UCD.
    Sure my car is in the driveway and its only €50 a year to get a permit, I think I'll drive the 10 minutes rather than spend that €50 a month on bus fares, a pair of trainers, whatever.

Parking charges should be in the €200-€500 bracket, with perhaps some kind of sliding scale for distance >25km from the campus or else treat non-Dublin students who may NEED to drive on a case by case basis.

well unless people commuting to town invest in fake student id they wouldnt have access to a permit, therefore they would be candidates for clamping if they park their cars on campus. it wouldnt be as simple as paying €50 and getting a permit as i said previously you should have to show your student card and licence to get the permit!
    ok maybe charge more to students that can easily get to college without driving...thats fair enough but if its necessary to drive in(like it is in my case) then its really not reasonable to charge €200 or more for parking. its expensive enough as it is to drive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ciaranajl

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Spent 1hour 15mins looking for a space today. None. I was there at 9.30, missed my first lecture. I had to park in an estate just outside the NovaUCD entrance.

Madness.

Here's a mad idea. Use public transport, cycle or walk. I know. Crazy.

Oh, and you might help the environment too!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

ciaranajl wrote: »
    Here's a mad idea. Use public transport, cycle or walk. I know. Crazy.

Oh, and you might help the environment too!

You cant spell enviromentalist without MENTALIST

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Grimes wrote: »
    You cant spell enviromentalist without MENTALIST

Evidently, you can't spell environmentalist at all :p

I like the permit idea. Ideally the closer to college, or to public transport, you live the more you'd be charged. Unfortunately, like most good ideas, it'd be impossible to implement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Tom65 wrote: »
    Evidently, you can't spell environmentalist at all :p

I like the permit idea. Ideally the closer to college, or to public transport, you live the more you'd be charged. Unfortunately, like most good ideas, it'd be impossible to implement.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Here's a well thought out system in use in the UK...

http://www.dur.ac.uk/estates/carparking/

Copy and paste with a few name changes for UCD? Would it work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Ernie Ball wrote: »
    Why?

Because how do you judge whether someone can get to UCD easily or not? There's people living in Wicklow who can get the 145, which goes straight to UCD but takes an age. There's bus routes that go to UCD but are very infrequent, or wouldn't suit a person's timetable. There are too many mitigating circumstances.

I remember a friend of mine used to go to DCU. He had one bus in and one bus out. If he missed them it was tough cookies.

Like most solutions, it is a compromise. The 145 is pretty darn frequent as I recall and I wouldn't call someone who has to hang around (get a coffee, join a society, go the library) for an hour or two a person who is hugely incovenienced.

The alternative is we simply continue to let the problem escalate and people will continue to struggle to find parking roam around UCD for an hour or two looking for a space.

If you want to drive to college for 5 mins before a lecture, it is a privilege, one that should be taxed accordingly.

• Advertisement

Tom65 wrote: »
    Because how do you judge whether someone can get to UCD easily or not? There's people living in Wicklow who can get the 145, which goes straight to UCD but takes an age. There's bus routes that go to UCD but are very infrequent, or wouldn't suit a person's timetable. There are too many mitigating circumstances.

If you have this information, why do you suppose that someone provided with a map and information about bus routes and paid to find it out couldn't have the same information?

Sorry but, again, this is not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

I can't find the post to quote it, but someone mentioned permits, available free on production of a student/personel card. That's all very well, but what about visitors to the campus? Sure, if the visit is planned in advance you could apply for a temporary permit, but that's not very convenient for a guest. Or what if someone has to take a different car, for whatever reason. Perhaps restricting certain carparks to those with permits would be a possible solution, but then that poses the question, "which ones?"

Lets suppose they do find a way to work out that problem though, someone else mentioned accessability to the college as a criterion for allocation of a permit. This again has its problems. Firstly it would be practically impossible to go through every single case and assess how close their nearest bus-stop is. This is easily solved by charging a non-refundible application fee, then only people who believe they are eligible would apply.

The real problem is defining how accessible is inaccessible. It can't be distance, or Dublin/non-Dublin. Someone in Wicklow, as mentioned, can get the 145. It's infrequent, but it's direct. Someone in Tallaght, though, less than 10 miles from the college, has to go into town first, then get a 10 out. Either that or get a 75 and 17 through nutgrove, giving you two infrequent busses! Again, it's a good idea but it's just not practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Visitors of course would have to pay. In cases where they are invited, it would be refunded in thier expenses.

Richie15 wrote: »
    Someone in Tallaght, though, less than 10 miles from the college, has to go into town first, then get a 10 out. Either that or get a 75 and 17 through nutgrove, giving you two infrequent busses! Again, it's a good idea but it's just not practical.

Whats wrong with cycling 10 miles in and 10 miles out. Even for a modest commuter that would be under an hour and not very difficult?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Have you tried cycling on Dublin streets in rush hour, in winter? I cycled around D4 for a year or so, but after one-too-many close calls, I went back to walking. Instead of being on the buses, I nearly ended up under a few. :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

I can't find the post to quote it, but someone mentioned permits, available free on production of a student/personel card. That's all very well, but what about visitors to the campus? Sure, if the visit is planned in advance you could apply for a temporary permit, but that's not very convenient for a guest. Or what if someone has to take a different car, for whatever reason. Perhaps restricting certain carparks to those with permits would be a possible solution, but then that poses the question, "which ones?"

This is a false problem. UCD already has car parks that cost €0.50/hour. Solve the parking problem elsewhere on campus and these can revert to their normal function as parking for visitors.

At present, visitors just park wherever they like. It annoys me no end to see 3 or 4 "Red Bull" Minis or FM104 Beetles taking up parking spaces that could be use by people who need to be there.
    Lets suppose they do find a way to work out that problem though, someone else mentioned accessability to the college as a criterion for allocation of a permit. This again has its problems. Firstly it would be practically impossible to go through every single case and assess how close their nearest bus-stop is.

Is this a joke? All you need is a map with all the bus routes and stops plotted on it. You could do it in Google Earth in a few hours tops. And then you could draw circles around each of those stops, etc.
    The real problem is defining how accessible is inaccessible. It can't be distance, or Dublin/non-Dublin. Someone in Wicklow, as mentioned, can get the 145. It's infrequent, but it's direct. Someone in Tallaght, though, less than 10 miles from the college, has to go into town first, then get a 10 out. Either that or get a 75 and 17 through nutgrove, giving you two infrequent busses! Again, it's a good idea but it's just not practical.

Any consultancy firm worth anything could work out all these problems for a fraction of what Hugh et al. spent on the upgrade to his house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

looks like another car park is going pay and display.
    Just saw a new ticket machine in the car park next to the AIB branch.
    Anyone now when it's going to go live?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

mdebets wrote: »
    looks like another car park is going pay and display.
    Just saw a new ticket machine in the car park next to the AIB branch.
    Anyone now when it's going to go live?
    It's probably only going to apply to a few spaces in the car park, they've been doing this for a while. Quinn had it last year, Health Science has it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

Is this a joke? All you need is a map with all the bus routes and stops plotted on it. You could do it in Google Earth in a few hours tops. And then you could draw circles around each of those stops, etc.
    I didn't mean to say impossible, what I meant was that it would be impractical to devote the time and resources that would be necessary to go through every single student and decide whether or not they deserve to drive in.

Spare visitor carparks wouldn't work, without reserved spaces they'd just be swallowed up by students as extra parking. Look at the visitor spaces at any apartment block, they're permanently full of residents who can't be bothered using their assigned spaces.

Any solution to the carparking situation has to be aimed at ensuring that those who have a genuine need, get somewhere to park. Criteria for that need is another matter, but any system would have to begin by taking control of the existing car park spaces.

The problem with this is that the College has effectively painted itself into a corner. There would be an immediate drop in available spaces because the 'temporary' carparks would have to go as they don't have planning permission.

As another, poster mentioned, the need for parking spaces is not a straightforward staff/student divide. There are many types of student, undergrad, postgrad, evening, part time, all of whom may need to be on campus at different times. In addition, there is a huge number of contractors, deliverymen, (legitimate) visitors and customers for facilities like the gym to complicate matters. These have to be accomodated also.

Allocated, zoned spaces with a permit system as is the system at many other colleges would be the answer. Trinity manages a tiny amount of spaces effectively with this method and UC Cork has now adopted a similar system. A zoned permit system with Staff entitled to a space (But encouraged to use other methods, same as everyone else), a number of spaces set aside for Students with permits allocated by need (As suggested by Ernie Ball). Visitor spaces could be allocated and permits by prior arrangement, as with many other institutions. Expect to see a drop in spaces available for students though.

Finally, although everyone likes to blame the park and riders, they are not responsible for the parking situation, it's the result of a massive rise in student car ownership since the late 90's which has created the pressure. It's really come to a head in the past 6 years, but it's possible that this trend might reverse slightly heading into recession.

• Advertisement

I didn't mean to say impossible, what I meant was that it would be impractical to devote the time and resources that would be necessary to go through every single student and decide whether or not they deserve to drive in.

You don't need to with a permit system, you just go through every applicant for the permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

...Or we could all face the fact that we're going to have to live with the fact that parking in UCD is difficult. UCD are not going to do anything about it unless they'll benefit from it. It doesn't matter that the college are going to be spending billions of euro on the 30ft tall solid gold statue of HB thats going to be placed in the middle of the lake.

But sure once they re-introduce fees, a lot of us won't be able to afford to drive anyway. Then there'll be loads of spare spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Car2318

How about the Guards set up check points outside of UCD - hitting provisional license holders and/or unaccompanied provisional license holders with that nice hefty €1k approx fine!!

Think that might free up some car parking as there is no way that UCD carparks only hold about 2 learner drivers............thats all that display their L plates.

It annoys me no end to see 3 or 4 "Red Bull" Minis or FM104 Beetles taking up parking spaces that could be use by people who need to be there.

This annoys me also........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

College don't start for another week yet the place is packed with cars already. In fact it is not even people in UCD using the car parks for the most part. Non-UCD affiliated commuters are the problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

College don't start for another week yet the place is packed with cars already.

There is plenty of space this week. And we are in here correcting your exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭wonderworm

I haven't had any problems parking either. And don't forget some of the people you see parking in UCD and getting buses are legitimate staff/students travelling to St Vincents, the Mater etc, and are quite entitled to park here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

ucdperson wrote: »
    There is plenty of space this week. And we are in here correcting your exams.

Better do a good job then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

What is the situation with parking in ucd carpark on a friday night and collecting the car the next morning if having a few drinks?

I'm due to attend a function in donnybrook, want to drive there and park the car and then decide if I will drink or not on the night.

Would it be ok to leave the car in UCD Friday night into Saturday 12 noonish or would it be clamped?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

plasmaguy wrote: »
    What is the situation with parking in ucd carpark on a friday night and collecting the car the next morning if having a few drinks?

I'm due to attend a function in donnybrook, want to drive there and park the car and then decide if I will drink or not on the night.

Would it be ok to leave the car in UCD Friday night into Saturday 12 noonish or would it be clamped?

It won't be clamped. Usually it's fine, i've done it a few times and never had a problem.

However, there has been reports of cars getting damaged. Usually in the car parks beside the bars, possibly rowdy people damaging them.

Less chance of that happening now with the majority of people still sitting exams.

Advertisement