Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking In Ucd

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

Bring your own clamps, problem temporarily solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭wonderworm

Red Alert wrote: »
    Parking this morning was nothing short of desperate at 9.20am. I had to park in Trimbelston road/drive (the one beside the Montrose).

where would you have parked if you had gone to tcd?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭emy-87

Ill probably get my head bitten off for saying this but.....I for one would welcome a yearly fee to stop everyone driving to college and to raise funds to improve the current car parks. Maybe like €100 per person? I dunno, something like that. I wouldnt mind that if I could park safely and without the fear of something happening to my car...It was dented in the car park behind the library two years ago.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

emy-87 wrote: »
    Ill probably get my head bitten off for saying this but.....I for one would welcome a yearly fee to stop everyone driving to college and to raise funds to improve the current car parks. Maybe like €100 per person? I dunno, something like that. I wouldnt mind that if I could park safely and without the fear of something happening to my car...It was dented in the car park behind the library two years ago.:mad:

Seems abit over the top. Fee's have gradually increased since I've been in UCD and it's a real pain in the ass, especially the extra student centre fees. Still can't understand why people voted yes for that. Adding extra fees to fund a multistorey car park would just kick up more fuss. As previously stated, the college can't get planning permission to build the needed car parks.

Car parks don't offer safety at all, they are simply a place to park you car. All car parks throughout Dublin clearly state that they are not liable for damage, why would a college car park make an exception. I've also had my car damaged by careless drivers.

Some outrageous parking going on by desperate or lazy drivers, engineering car park was a complete mess the on tuesday. Car were blocking other cars in and just walking off. Someone even parked in the middle of the clearway in the car park. I was driving around looking for a space and counted over 20 clamps on cars, the worst being just behind the conway institiute.

Think I'll cycle for the next few weeks till the heat dies down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

The fact of the matter is that none of this would be needed had proper planning been done in UCD and this city as a whole with regard to public transport - no other university nor european city is such a combined shambles.
    Agreed.
    Tayto2000 wrote:
    Parking and walking might not even be an option in the near future...
    It'll still be an option, we'll simply have to walk a bit further than we do now. P & D is coming in, but slowly; the Council seem content to paint double yellow lines all over the place for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

There is usually a thread like this every year at the start of the year. The main reason parking is always bad in the first few weeks is because every year they insist on putting that stupid bloody freshers tent in the car park behind the student centre.
    Also I only came back today coz was on hols but we've lost a fair number of spaces in the gravel car park by the school of info studies where they have those big storage containers...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Personally I think parking charges are both necessary and inevitable to prevent frivilous driving to UCD where public transport is available. For all those complaining of extra fees and such, we already have it far too easy when it comes to college. It must be remembered that in the case of free fees, the fees don't disappear, we just pay them through our taxes. A €2 a day levy or permit system would most likely reduce the amount of people driving to college and encourage people to take public transport.

As far as the public transport system is concerned, that is a seperate issue and does not really enter into the argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

mloc wrote: »
    As far as the public transport system is concerned, that is a seperate issue and does not really enter into the argument.

So your saying one of the causes of the problem doesnt enter into the argument? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Well gubbie, less than a year ago the Student's Union considered Shell to Sea a more worthwhile pursuit than parking - hardly a more important issue to be thinking about.

Something tells me that a bit of muscle from UCD would make DLRCOCO allow more parking spaces. The fact of the matter is that none of this would be needed had proper planning been done in UCD and this city as a whole with regard to public transport - no other university nor european city is such a combined shambles.

No it didn't. It had a motion to support the Rossport 5, years ago. A motion went to the union almost 2 years ago and I myself spoke against it. The motion was defeated. The union does not support the Shell to Sea cause

I might also point out that UCD has one of the best parking facilitys of the uni's

And for a city the size of ours, I believe we have a very adaquate public transport system... mind you in Colorado the bus is free

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Breezer wrote: »
    I say this as someone who drives to UCD regularly: there is absolutely no way in this economic climate that UCD should be diverting funds towards building car parks, Gateways, etc. The 3rd level sector is grossly underfunded, and courses are being cancelled in UCD due to budget restrictions. College fees are back on the agenda once more. Of 3 UCD students who have committed suicide in the recent past, 2 were on the waiting lists to see our one and only counsellor.

If there's money available then it should be spent either on academic programmes or on essential services for students. Extra parking spaces to allow even more people who live within a 3 mile radius of UCD to drive in is not an essential service and I would loudly protest against any attempt to prioritise it over an improved student health and welfare service or the continuation of academic programmes.

Pride Fighter, I'm not picking a personal fight with you here, it just made sense to quote your post in relation to my point.

Guys, seriously, parking has been discussed to death here. Giving out on Boards won't progress the issue. Either come in early, be willing to park on a street and walk a short distance to campus, or find some other mode of transport. It's not that difficult: I've been doing it for years.

Alternatively, start a car parking campaign, but be prepared to meet resistance from those who disagree with you.

I agree with most of your post and if you will see my earlier posts were I slag car owners you will realise I am not fond of some of the lazy so and so's who take the car when they can take public transport (I know some people legitimately use the car and I dont have a problem with them). However, I believe the gateway should be built. It represents the College entering the 21st century in terms of facilities and the hotel that will be in the gateway will help fund the college if it remains under college control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

where would you have parked if you had gone to tcd?

Nobody has brought that up because parking in that place is even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭emy-87

Shazbot, I think the solution has to be over the top because the problem has gone way too far, as you saw yourself! I didnt say it would be for a multistorey carpark, that would cost a huge amount of money that UCD doesnt have, that would lead to much more expensive fees than I suggested. I think if they had some sort of system whereby if you need to drive you will be charged a fee which would be used to tarmacadam the existing crappy carparks and mark them with spaces. If you dont have to drive you will not be charged. That would stop a lot of people unneccesarily taking their car. I think it would stop people using it as a park and ride aswell, and it would be good for the enviroment! I think its a pretty good idea, even if I do say so meself:D

I shouldnt have said safety, wrong word choice!:o I think if the carparks were laid out properly then it would be a bit less likely that your car will be damaged, but I suppose it happens everywhere.

I agree with most of your post and if you will see my earlier posts were I slag car owners you will realise I am not fond of some of the lazy so and so's who take the car when they can take public transport (I know some people legitimately use the car and I dont have a problem with them). However, I believe the gateway should be built. It represents the College entering the 21st century in terms of facilities and the hotel that will be in the gateway will help fund the college if it remains under college control.
    Oh I know, I read them, don't worry :D We'll agree to disagree on the Gateway. I see where you're coming from but with the way finances currently are, we need to be looking at the short term for the moment IMO, and in the short term the Gateway would cost money that I feel could be better spent in other areas if it is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

If you live in Dublin within cycling distance of UCD then you should strongly consider it. There are never any problems with parking at any hour of the day and you may feel a little better getting some fresh air. Also, the money saved on petrol can be funnelled into other worthwhile student activities like drinking.

I don't buy the argument about poor public transport. UCD is along the N11 and so serviced by all the major Dublin routes.

Parking should be prioritised for those who need it. For example, I am trying to get my brother to cycle in. We live in Foxrock, its a 15 minute cycle but in rush hour traffic this can turn into a 30-40 minute drive. He doesn't need to drive, he could get the 46A, cycle or even carpool with friends in the area. However, someone commuting from outside dublin every morning (I dont know how many do that) and have no other option but to drive should be given priority. Of course the problem here is that it requires organisation from the college to createt some sort of parking control system, which probably wont happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    If you live in Dublin within cycling distance of UCD then you should strongly consider it. There are never any problems with parking at any hour of the day and you may feel a little better getting some fresh air. Also, the money saved on petrol can be funnelled into other worthwhile student activities like drinking.

I don't buy the argument about poor public transport. UCD is along the N11 and so serviced by all the major Dublin routes.

Parking should be prioritised for those who need it. For example, I am trying to get my brother to cycle in. We live in Foxrock, its a 15 minute cycle but in rush hour traffic this can turn into a 30-40 minute drive. He doesn't need to drive, he could get the 46A, cycle or even carpool with friends in the area. However, someone commuting from outside dublin every morning (I dont know how many do that) and have no other option but to drive should be given priority. Of course the problem here is that it requires organisation from the college to createt some sort of parking control system, which probably wont happen.

Completely agree with this. Cycling in is great for exercise and is usually relaxing. I dont have much experience of public transport as I cycle but with the n11, the 46a, 145, 10, 11 and all those xpresso routes not sure where the issue is bar the 17 which is awful. The luas is only a 15=25 minute walk from the clonskeagh side. Anyone living about 5 miles from the campus and that is able to cycle really should it is worthwhile and saves a lot of money in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Ill just say that im not complaining, nor am i setting up an underground movement hell bent on getting more carparks.

I just said we could do with more spaces as my early experiences have been disasterous.

Today and yesterday however ive come in earlier and not had a problem, reading the paper and having a roll in Nine-One-One is hardly an inconvienience so im not too pushed. I 100% agree that car parks should not be a big priority. But it is a bit annoying if you have a lecture in the afternoon and know 100% there will be no parking.

Thats what the internet is for, venting frustration on a small issue.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Thats what the internet is for, venting frustration on a small issue.
    Fair enough, I've done it many times myself :D We just get a lot of these parking threads.

I had a great parking experience today anyway. For once I did park on campus, I got in at about 8.30 just as the place was filling up. I was over in the O'Reilly Hall car park and decided I'd park up on that kerb beside the pedestrian walkway rather than risk looking for a better spot and ending up with none. There's a few cars behind me so I swing in quickly in reverse, half in a yellow box beside the steps and half in my spot, and and wait for them to pass so I can straighten up. The second they pass, some girl in a Punto comes flying into the remainder of my spot. No idea where she thought she was going because opening the door would have been physically impossible for her, the gaps between my car, her car and the next one were that narrow! So after staring at her in amazement for a second, I beep the horn to get her attention and gesture "Get out." She starts waving her arms and telling me there's no spaces. More gesturing to the effect of "I don't care! Get out!" She got out :D

[End rant]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭clickerfingers

Well to be honest that's a bit ridiculous. I've been here 3 years, driven in on many occasions, at all hours of the day, and I've never taken 3 hours or anything like it to find a space. You may not find a space on campus but if you're willing to walk for 10 minutes there's plenty of room in the surrounding housing estates.

what estates you talking about? and is it actually ok to park there??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Completely agree with this. Cycling in is great for exercise and is usually relaxing. I dont have much experience of public transport as I cycle but with the n11, the 46a, 145, 10, 11 and all those xpresso routes not sure where the issue is bar the 17 which is awful. The luas is only a 15=25 minute walk from the clonskeagh side. Anyone living about 5 miles from the campus and that is able to cycle really should it is worthwhile and saves a lot of money in the long run

As is the dart.
    A woman said to me the other day, (she was complaining about the transport in Dublin) "Every f-in bus goes to UCD"

what estates you talking about? and is it actually ok to park there??
    Basically any road in the vicinity of UCD that isn't the N11. And yes, provided you park legally of course you can park there, they're public roads. Some residents mightn't like it very much but that's their problem, it happens outside my house as well; no one owns a public road. Obviously be considerate and don't block someone's gate or something :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭FreeFallin

Does anyone have any idea what happens if you leave your car in one of the free carparks on a friday night and get it on saturday or even sunday? Don't fancy getting an €80 fine.. or worse

No fine, but you're risking it being vandalised. Happened a girl in my class a few years back. This was in the main O'Reilly Hall carpark. The residences have been even worse in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭FreeFallin

No fine, but you're risking it being vandalised. Happened a girl in my class a few years back. This was in the main O'Reilly Hall carpark. The residences have been even worse in the past.

Cheers yeh hadnt even thought of vandalism but that would definatly be an issue, probably wont risk it so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DaveyGem

Just come in early if you want parking its not rocket science. Bitching about it won't get you a space, it might get future students more car parks, but any substantial improvemnet is not bloody likely in the next three years.

Its not exactly a surprise if you arrive in 12.10 and can't find a space you should no better by now. Come in early, go to the library, go for coffee, travel and then go to your afternoon lecture.

Alternatively walk, cycle, bus it or find a micra or a starlet and with the help of a few friends lift the back of it up and wheel it out of your desired space...

DaveyGem wrote: »
    Alternatively walk, cycle, bus it or find a micra or a starlet and with the help of a few friends lift the back of it up and wheel it out of your desired space...
    Oi! My car is smaller than either of those! Don't be giving people ideas! :P

Oi! My car is smaller than either of those! Don't be giving people ideas! :P

What type of car and reg please, i need to know for admin....eh... purposes??? haha

What type of car and reg please, i need to know for admin....eh... purposes??? haha
    It's the Aygo with the bricks piled into the boot and the rottweiler tied to the wheel :p

It's the Aygo with the bricks piled into the boot and the rottweiler tied to the wheel :p

Can yer dog put out fires?

Can yer dog put out fires?
    Not the rottweiler, but this guy can :D

firedog.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I walk to and from UCD, but I cross a car park on the way off campus, and I'm regularly getting stopped by drivers asking me... where I'm parked. I sympathise, honestly, I do - Dublin's public transport system is a joke.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement