Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People jaded by 'Green' issues

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

with a straight face and being serious I want to ask this to those who suggest apartment living for most V the current situation:

What about alcohol? Should it be banned for human consumption? It is ALOT of fuel we drink every weekend and literally p*** away when with small modifications we could be churning out a bio fuel....

Excellent :) I actually know a lot of people who dont have cars but drink more than i put in my car every week :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

with a straight face and being serious I want to ask this to those who suggest apartment living for most V the current situation:

What about alcohol? Should it be banned for human consumption? It is ALOT of fuel we drink every weekend and literally p*** away when with small modifications we could be churning out a bio fuel....

Biofuel is not the whole solution. Besides the 3rd generation biofuels will be based on plants that are not suitable for human consumption. It will be a combination of measures such as biofuel, better public transport, better planned cities, better cycling facilties, more integrated transport (ie one day I will feckin well be allowed to bring my bike onto a train or luas in this country), e-commuting, etc. Putting it all down to biofuels is over-simplifying matters.

In general, I don't like the idea of diverting food away from human mouths and into cars but clearly alcohol isn't quite the same thing..

[QUOTE=Deleted User;57248371
    To tannocol - while you dont trust people to do things for the environment I dont trust the govt to do it. We are similiar but different![/QUOTE]
    Well I'm with you on this government - even starting to lose a bit of faith in the Green Party. In my opinion, the EU will be the only ones to force us to do what we must do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

It is also important that we recognise that the continuing crowding of people into Dublin is unsustainable and must stop. The population should be spread more evenly around the country.

It is this sort of overcrowding that is necessitating this debate about apartments vs houses.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Húrin wrote: »
    It is also important that we recognise that the continuing crowding of people into Dublin is unsustainable and must stop. The population should be spread more evenly around the country.

It is this sort of overcrowding that is necessitating this debate about apartments vs houses.

Well...you could hardly call Ireland overcrowded and Dublin with a population of under 2 million is nothing compared to metropolises like London or Los Angeles.

Even if our population was evenly spread out across the country, it still would be a disaster to have everyone in a house, instead of an apartment. You need a certain density of population to make public transport and other services viable. In addition, spread out housing estates are ugly and encroach on agricultural land and areas of biodiversity. Do you want the country blanketed in housing estates, rather than more densely populated with urban areas of higher density but well sized, properly serviced apartments?

In relation to the spatial unbalance in Ireland's demographics...I don't know if it is possible or even advisible to try and change this. Firstly, lets look at if its possible. How to you move resources, facilities and people from one location to another? You can either encourage growth in these areas or you can transfer it from an existing area. I'm all for encouraging growth in areas outside Dublin, such as Limerick, Waterford, Cork & Galway, but I don't agree with transferring people and resources from Dublin to these places. Basically, the government's decentralisation plan is a half-arsed, pathetic , hair-brained attempt at balancing out the imbalance and is nothing more than a total capitulation to local politics to the detriment of the country as a whole.

Now, in terms of wanting the population to be more evenly spread. Why? What are the benefits (genuine questions as I haven't really thought about this too much :) )?

taconnol wrote: »

Of course, but I'm afraid I don't have as much faith in human nature as you do. Even today, people don't do things that are in their own interest because its too much hassle, costs too much money, any reason you can think of.

These days I get more of shock when the government actually shows some long-term joined up thinking, rather than kowtowing to private interests and only being able to think as far ahead as the next election.

just something about this, and something Ive come to realise when reading up on economics and the property market. The government represent the people.
    If the people want to keep on polluting and burning fossil fuels for whatever reason once thats what they choose the govt will take that route, (unless the EU or other international agreements over rule), then thats the route we will take. Whether we like it or not.

Its quite possible that the world may choose to fight this defensively when its too late rather than preemptively.

To those who are cynical about climate change, we need to move away from pollution for other reasons such as growing respiratory illness and to create energy independence from renewable sources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I haven't read the whole thread so I'm answering directly to the OP.

Yes, I am bloody sick of green issues/global warming/climate change/carbon neutrality/etc. etc. etc. being in the news and on your doorstep 24/7.:mad:

I will not be influenced in what car I buy by how many carbon dioxides it produces, I will make my decision on the performance etc. Even the GAA is getting in on this lately, extremely tiresome.

Life is far too short and far too much fun to be had without getting worried about your neighbour driving a Range Rover Sport

just something about this, and something Ive come to realise when reading up on economics and the property market. The government represent the people.
    If the people want to keep on polluting and burning fossil fuels for whatever reason once thats what they choose the govt will take that route, (unless the EU or other international agreements over rule), then thats the route we will take. Whether we like it or not.

Its quite possible that the world may choose to fight this defensively when its too late rather than preemptively.

True, I read a study on environmental issues that showed government officials saying that they were only doing what the people wanted.

But the other point of view is that if you ask the average person, they don't want to pay taxes but we have to do it. The government has to have the balls to take unpopular decisions.

Having heard officials in some of the most sustainable societies, their decisions aren't always widely welcomed. But unpopular decisions need to be made, we can't party all night & expect to wake up the next morning without a hangover.
    bigkev49 wrote: »
    I haven't read the whole thread so I'm answering directly to the OP.

Life is far too short and far too much fun to be had without getting worried about your neighbour driving a Range Rover Sport

If you can't even be arsed to read the thread, why would anyone have any respect for your post? Life is to short? and what about future generations? You're displaying the typical, selfish tendencies that have gotten us into this mess in the first place. Newsflash: you are not the centre of the universe.

. Newsflash: you are not the centre of the universe.

Well aware of this but I have gotten over a big trial or two of my own in the last few years. Consequently I live for today and I am seriously fed up of listening to the incessant attempts to make me feel guilty for living my life in the way I choose.

I'm studying Planning and Env. Management, from a farming background and I am concerned about the environment but the loonies out there and the guilt-trip mentality that they try to impose on people will never, ever have a positive effect.

Yes, guilt tripping is not going to work but people need to be aware of the consequences of their actions. If this leads them to feel guilty, so be it.

It's like people not wanting to know where their meat comes from so they can kid themselves that its perfectly fine to eat battery eggs. So many of the environmental impacts of our behaviour have never been revealed or shown to the general public. There has been a recent flood of awareness recently.

Where are you doing your course?

Bolton St.

Obviously any views expressed here are my own opinion and do not reflect teaching in the college.

• Advertisement

Nope, you 14?

You asked how could my post be respected?!

What are you studying?

Ah ok, misunderstanding on my part. Sorry about that, long day:o:o

I thought you were asking did I work for 3 weeks and study 1 week, i.e. miss all the environmental themed lectures. I'm an 4th year in the full time Spatial Planning course.

I think one of our lecturers is over the masters you are studying, P. Lawlor?

LOL sorry boards makes me really defensive. I think I need to stop hanging around AH.

Ah it's grand, I'm seriously considering giving up boards for the same reason.

Don't miss the env. lectures but it's the constant barrage from the media having heard it all day in college too that really gets my blood boiling.

As I mentioned I'm from a farming background and listening to some people lecture me about ramblers rights and how evil farmers are gets old very quickly. Eanna ni Leamhna lectured us for a while and she was very interesting, learned loads from her without it being rammed down my throats.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Don't miss the env. lectures but it's the constant barrage from the media having heard it all day in college too that really gets my blood boiling.
    There are plenty of other things that the media bombards us with; not sure why people single out climate change as being annoying. If I had to pick one, it would be the English Premiership. Can't go into a pub these days without some random match being beamed at you.

Well...you could hardly call Ireland overcrowded and Dublin with a population of under 2 million is nothing compared to metropolises like London or Los Angeles.
    Ah yes, LA, they'll really be up the creek when peak oil hits hardest.
    Even if our population was evenly spread out across the country, it still would be a disaster to have everyone in a house, instead of an apartment. You need a certain density of population to make public transport and other services viable.
    If the population was evenly spread out in the country, it would a disaster whether they were living in apartments or houses. Agriculture would become difficult. People are best off living in towns, I agree. But greater equality between the populations of towns would be good.
    In addition, spread out housing estates are ugly and encroach on agricultural land and areas of biodiversity.
    This is a symptom of very large towns radiating from a central point, with life fixed upon that point and suburbs existing merely as dormitories. That's not what suburbs should be like.
    Do you want the country blanketed in housing estates, rather than more densely populated with urban areas of higher density but well sized, properly serviced apartments?
    Apartments certainly have a place in Ireland, but not for everyone. Towns should not be so populous as to require either tower blocks or sprawling estates.
    In relation to the spatial unbalance in Ireland's demographics...I don't know if it is possible or even advisible to try and change this.
    Of course it is. Fianna Fáil's economic policy has for too long been Dublin-centric. That's where they put the money. That's why the country has converged on Dublin.
    Firstly, lets look at if its possible. How do you move resources, facilities and people from one location to another? You can either encourage growth in these areas or you can transfer it from an existing area.

I'm all for encouraging growth in areas outside Dublin, such as Limerick, Waterford, Cork & Galway, but I don't agree with transferring people and resources from Dublin to these places.
    There are a lot of people living in Dublin that would rather live somewhere else, but can't find work anywhere else. Move the jobs and these people will follow.
    Basically, the government's decentralisation plan is a half-arsed, pathetic , hair-brained attempt at balancing out the imbalance and is nothing more than a total capitulation to local politics to the detriment of the country as a whole.
    Why shouldn't the government decentralise?
    Now, in terms of wanting the population to be more evenly spread. Why? What are the benefits (genuine questions as I haven't really thought about this too much :) )?
    1. Reversing the decline of rural life and culture.
    2. Less vehicles and people crowding one city.
    3. More reliance on locally produced stuff.
    4. Less long-distance commuting.
    5. If any more people crowd into Dublin, significant amounts of water will have to be brought in from the Shannon. That is obviously unsustainable.

Ireland used to be like this. With the passing of the oil age it may end up being like this again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Ray69

I was reading this article the other day:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/big-fines-looming--as-we-fail---kyoto-test-1465367.html

"the opposition has warned that the State may have to pay even more than the €270m that has been set aside to buy the permits, known as "carbon credits", to emit greenhouse gases ."

What does Ireland get for their 270m? Where is this money actually going? Does it come back to Ireland to be invested in renewable energy sources or is it just falling into a black hole?

I hope to god they are not giving it to some under-developed country that isn't producing its share of emissions so that they can maybe build some factories to get their emission levels up to our standards!

Anyone know?

Ray69 wrote: »
    I was reading this article the other day:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/big-fines-looming--as-we-fail---kyoto-test-1465367.html

"the opposition has warned that the State may have to pay even more than the €270m that has been set aside to buy the permits, known as "carbon credits", to emit greenhouse gases ."

What does Ireland get for their 270m? Where is this money actually going? Does it come back to Ireland to be invested in renewable energy sources or is it just falling into a black hole?

I hope to god they are not giving it to some under-developed country that isn't producing its share of emissions so that they can maybe build some factories to get their emission levels up to our standards!

Anyone know?
    We, the taxpaying public get nothing at all for our 270 million, but presumably the logic is that it's an acceptable price to pay for the billions of cash made by developers and Bertie's other friends by increasing our carbon dioxide emissions over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

what i dont get when ireland started out on kyoto (1992 i think) ireland had quite a low gdp and industrial base the uk on the otherhand has seen a huge decrease in heavy manufacturing and a move to service industries, so we are paying for having a succesfull economy. which i guess is the argument china and india use.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭maniac101

what i dont get when ireland started out on kyoto (1992 i think) ireland had quite a low gdp and industrial base the uk on the otherhand has seen a huge decrease in heavy manufacturing and a move to service industries, so we are paying for having a succesfull economy. which i guess is the argument china and india use.
    The baseyear for Kyoto is 1990. The agreement allows Ireland to increase CO2 emissions to 13% above the 1990 level up to the end of 2012, compared to an average EU target of an 8% DEcrease. So Kyoto already allows for the increase in emissions expected from a tiger economy. The difficulty is that our CO2 emissions were estimated at 25% above 1990 in 2005. Yesterday Minister Gormley announced that even that estimate was too conservative.

You're right about the UK: they will achieve their Kyoto target, partly because of this move away from manufacturing to services. Of course, UK manufacturing (along with its associated emissions) has simply moved elsewhere, mainly to countries not bound to Kyoto targets. So achieving the target in the UK may result in no net global reduction in CO2 emissions.

I wouldn't agree that we're "paying for having a successful economy". Instead, we're paying for electing a government that didn't take the issue seriously since Kyoto was first adopted in 1997.

I can see that some countries might fail to meet targets and for this they get 'fined':

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/comments/koyoto_a_fine_mess

"The Kyoto Protocol reaffirms the fundamental UNFCCC principle that developed countries have to pay billions of dollars, and supply technology to, other countries for climate-related studies and projects."

Who is receiving these billions of euro and what are they doing with it?

I haven't seen one story telling us where this money is going, any successes in the research or anything.

The money may well be ending up in Berties hip pocket for all we have been told.

• Advertisement

I have been reading up on where the money is going: seems to be a method of moving cash from Ireland etc., to other countries who either didn't have a target imposed on them or who have beaten their target.

So no necessity to actually use the money, we are being asked to pay, for research or deployment of 'renewable' energy sources or anything of that kind.

Kyoto - 100's of million of euro and none of it used to help Ireland break it's dependence on the offending technology. Excellent idea! Surely the government would be better using this money to invest in some research into renewable energy solutions for Ireland rather than paying over money to Hungary or Romania (less the inevitable admin fees and middle men cut).

I have to ask, does anyone think the Governments of the world want to move the population away from fossil fuels? Is this really the best 'solution' they could come up with?

This scheme seems to be 'foreign aid' under a different name.

I think people are 'jaded' with green issues because they usually end up being asked to pay more for something, whilst seeing no tangible benefits from the money paid over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭auerillo

I think people are 'jaded' with green issues because they usually end up being asked to pay more for something, whilst seeing no tangible benefits from the money paid over.

I'd have to agree. Most people have no problem with recycling etc etc, if it is sensible. But look at the packaging in the stores, where virtually every item now comes in packaging our grandparents would think madness. One example; milk comes in non-reusable tetrapack, whreeras it used to come in reusable glass bottles. Looking at most of our consumer goods, the modern day packaging is much more wasteful and non reusable compared to 25 years ago.

The climate change industry has replaced god as the means for inducing mass guilt, and we should be wary of the finger waggers, like Al Gore etc who flies around the world in his private jet to lecture the rest of us on how wasteful we are.

Kyoto - 100's of million of euro and none of it used to help Ireland break it's dependence on the offending technology. Excellent idea!
    I’m not sure I follow you; you think Ireland should RECEIVE money for not reaching it’s targets?
    Surely the government would be better using this money to invest in some research into renewable energy solutions for Ireland rather than paying over money to Hungary or Romania (less the inevitable admin fees and middle men cut).
    More bang for your buck in countries where the cost of living is lower. For example, R&D costs far less in India than it does here.
    I have to ask, does anyone think the Governments of the world want to move the population away from fossil fuels? Is this really the best 'solution' they could come up with?
    What’s your solution?
    We signed up to Kyoto (we didn’t have to) so now we have to abide by it.

Can you give an example of a “green issue” that has cost you money without any “tangible benefit”?
    auerillo wrote: »
    Most people have no problem with recycling etc etc, if it is sensible. But look at the packaging in the stores, where virtually every item now comes in packaging our grandparents would think madness.
    No argument there; I try to avoid buying products with excessive packaging. Apart from anything else, the consumer is paying for the extra packaging, so (in theory) you save money by avoiding it.
    One example; milk comes in non-reusable tetrapack, whreeras it used to come in reusable glass bottles.
    The reason being people are now obsessed with hygiene. Sterilising the bottles simply won’t do for a lot of people, despite the fact that they will happily use a glass in a pub that has no doubt been used hundreds or even thousands of times.
    The climate change industry has replaced god as the means for inducing mass guilt, and we should be wary of the finger waggers, like Al Gore etc who flies around the world in his private jet to lecture the rest of us on how wasteful we are.
    While I agree with you about Gore (he is a bit of a hypocrite), I don’t agree with your first point. People SHOULD feel guilty about being wasteful. Waste of any kind is detrimental to society in some way. For example, wasting energy leads to an increased demand, which will likely raise prices for everyone. Cutting down on waste leads to an increase in efficiency, which I think we all can agree is a good thing.

you think Ireland should RECEIVE money for not reaching it’s targets?

I think it is those countries that are not achieving their targets that are in most need of help, so maybe the pool of monies raised should be used to address problems in those countries.
    More bang for your buck in countries where the cost of living is lower. For example, R&D costs far less in India than it does here.
    Hmm, difficult one here... surely we want to pay experts to do the research, they don't tend to come cheap.

Are you saying that the economies not being penalised by Kyoto and thus receiving the money are meeting there targets because their production methods etc are greener than ours or is it not the case that they either don't have targets to meet, their economies have not grown in excess of the estimated growth or they have 'exported' their pollution to other countries e.g. if you take all heavy industry present in your economy in 1990 and relocate it to another country don't you free up all that allowance for emissions even though the planet is not any better off?
    What’s your solution?

I think we need a coherent strategy for obtaining more of our energy from renewable sources. Targets for x% of electricity production to be created by renewables by year y.

Energy and Fuel companies are being allowed to profit to an enormous extent from the very fuel that is doing the most damage. They should be regulated to ensure a percentage of this 'profiteering' is ploughed back into renewable energy sources so that we can reduce our dependence on those fuels.

We need to be looking at being completely free from our dependence when the oil etc runs out, so why not start now? Give us an integrated roadmap for getting there.
    Can you give an example of a “green issue” that has cost you money without any “tangible benefit”?
    Kyoto - what does the Irish taxpayer get for there money? What breakthroughs have been made? What projects are underway? Haven't heard a thing.
    Plastic bags - what has the money raised been used for?
    PRF - if your tv breaks down and is beyond economic repair, what are the alternatives? Where is the money raised being spent?

I think we need more feedback about where all this money is going and how because of these levies paid we are getting closer to the goal.

djpbarry wrote: »
    The reason being people are now obsessed with hygiene. Sterilising the bottles simply won’t do for a lot of people, despite the fact that they will happily use a glass in a pub that has no doubt been used hundreds or even thousands of times.
    While I agree with you about Gore (he is a bit of a hypocrite), I don’t agree with your first point. People SHOULD feel guilty about being wasteful. Waste of any kind is detrimental to society in some way. For example, wasting energy leads to an increased demand, which will likely raise prices for everyone. Cutting down on waste leads to an increase in efficiency, which I think we all can agree is a good thing.

One of the big benefits about being hygiene obsessed is that the shelf life of Milk has now increased by a marked factor due to increased hygiene from the dairy right up to modern fridges in our homes. ( I say benefits but personally I never drink or even buy milk as I think its ghastly stuff!). I think the tetrapac is more popular nowadays due to convenience and whether or not its in bottles or tetrapak I don't think has much bearing on the shelf life.

Yes, Christians used to say we should feel guilty about pleasure, and dancing, and sex, and many believed that. Some still do but, thankfully, not the majority any more.

Of course we shouldn't waste energy, and more than we should "waste" anything, and I suppose it's how we all define "waste" which is interesting. I imagine my definition of waste, in my life, is quite different from how Al Gore defines it in his life. Yet he is the one wagging his fingers at everyone else, much as the pederast priests were the ones telling people that dancing was sinful and they would go to hell for practicing it.

You'll have recognised that i am something of a sceptic, as we in turn are incredibly wasteful compared to others in the world, just as Al gore is to us. I see around me all sorts of people wagging their fingers at me, all the while flying off for their skiing holidays, turngin up their central heating, ( even leaving it turned on while they are away on their skiing holidays) and so on.

I think it is those countries that are not achieving their targets that are in most need of help, so maybe the pool of monies raised should be used to address problems in those countries.
    If there’s one thing that we’ve learned from Fianna Fáil, it’s that throwing money at a problem is rarely the best solution.
    Hmm, difficult one here... surely we want to pay experts to do the research, they don't tend to come cheap.
    The point is it’s much more expensive to conduct any kind of operation in Ireland than it is in India, for example. There’s much more to it than just paying the researchers; you need to pay for research assistants and technicians, laboratories, laboratory apparatus, laboratory consumables, energy, etc.
    Are you saying that the economies not being penalised by Kyoto and thus receiving the money are meeting there targets because their production methods etc are greener than ours or is it not the case that they either don't have targets to meet…
    All developed nations who ratified the treaty agreed to meet specific targets:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fe/Kyoto36-2005.png

Many developing nations ratified the treaty but do not have specific targets to meet.
    …their economies have not grown in excess of the estimated growth or they have 'exported' their pollution to other countries…
    It’s possible. But it’s important to remember that, ultimately, the buyers of credits are often individual companies that expect their emissions to exceed their quota. Typically, they will purchase credits directly from another party with excess allowances, from a broker, from a JI/CDM developer, or on an exchange.
    Targets for x% of electricity production to be created by renewables by year y.
    Irish Government White Paper; The Energy Policy Framework 2007-2020:

We will progressively achieve 33% of our electricity consumption from renewable sources by 2020 with 15% the target for 2010.

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/NR/rdonlyres/54C78A1E-4E96-4E28-A77A-3226220DF2FC/27356/EnergyWhitePaper12March2007.pdf
    Energy and Fuel companies are being allowed to profit to an enormous extent from the very fuel that is doing the most damage. They should be regulated to ensure a percentage of this 'profiteering' is ploughed back into renewable energy sources so that we can reduce our dependence on those fuels.
    Any utilities company worth their salt is investing in renewables; it’s just good business sense.
    Kyoto - what does the Irish taxpayer get for there money? What breakthroughs have been made? What projects are underway? Haven't heard a thing.
    See above.
    Plastic bags - what has the money raised been used for?
    Revenue generated from the Plastic Bag Environmental Levy will go into the new Environmental Fund. This fund is used to support waste management, litter and other environmental initiatives.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/environment/waste-management-and-recycling/plastic_bag_environmental_levy
    PRF - if your tv breaks down and is beyond economic repair, what are the alternatives?
    I don’t understand what you mean here?
    Where is the money raised being spent?
    Producer Recycling Fund; the clue is in the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I completely agree with the OP

The Greens are the clowns who have screwed up everything. they have the right idea. but P*SS poor application of their ideas

Examples
    Bin taxes... lets tax everyone on what they dump. instead of lets tax people on what they dump but give some of that tax back for what they recycle.

Water Charges... (not in yet, I accept that) Charge everybody for water. rather than charge everyone for the amount of water they use. Out of spite... I could imagine a lot of people leaving their water running all day if a flat rate water tax charge was brought in.

Road Tax and VRT... these changes have brought the car market to it knees. someone with a non-efficient car car pays €2000 for tax and does 5000 miles Per Year while someone with an efficient car pays €130 and does 22,000 miles per year... who puts out more CO2 and who is being penalized? makes 'GREEN' sense? absolutely not!

Encouraging people to use public transport. if you live outside of Dublin to what public transport are they referring? And even at that CIE are probably one of the most UN-GREEN organizations in Ireland. Buses running all day and only full between 8-9am and 5-6pm running rest of the day empty and at 3 miles per Gallon. And then we have the trains which are left running all day and all night (they cant be turned off).... are they penalized for the amount of pollution they produce? Of course not... that would make far to much sense.

they and anyone that supports them are idiots

grahambo wrote: »
    I completely agree with the OP

The Greens are the clowns who have screwed up everything. they have the right idea. but P*SS poor application of their ideas

Examples
    Bin taxes... lets tax everyone on what they dump. instead of lets tax people on what they dump but give some of that tax back for what they recycle.

Water Charges... (not in yet, I accept that) Charge everybody for water. rather than charge everyone for the amount of water they use. Out of spite... I could imagine a lot of people leaving their water running all day if a flat rate water tax charge was brought in.

Road Tax and VRT... these changes have brought the car market to it knees. someone with a non-efficient car car pays €2000 for tax and does 5000 miles Per Year while someone with an efficient car pays €130 and does 22,000 miles per year... who puts out more CO2 and who is being penalized? makes 'GREEN' sense? absolutely not!

Encouraging people to use public transport. if you live outside of Dublin to what public transport are they referring? And even at that CIE are probably one of the most UN-GREEN organizations in Ireland. Buses running all day and only full between 8-9am and 5-6pm running rest of the day empty and at 3 miles per Gallon. And then we have the trains which are left running all day and all night (they cant be turned off).... are they penalized for the amount of pollution they produce? Of course not... that would make far to much sense.

they and anyone that supports them are idiots

I suppose it should be pointed out that the guy travelling 22000 miles per annum is paying much more tax on his petrol.

having said that, I am often bemused by people who talk of water as if it were a resource which is running out. plainly, in Ireland, this is not the case, and any charge we pay should reflect only the cost of storage and getting it to us. A tax would be ludicrous and serve no purpose only to raise yet more revenue for our wasteful and bloated government.

djpbarry wrote: »
    Producer Recycling Fund; the clue is in the name.

I wonder how the producers recycle old tv's, or computers, or broken down transistor radios?

I suspect its just another name for products which are largely dumped in landfill, perhaps with a few bits taken out.

• Advertisement

having said that, I am often bemused by people who talk of water as if it were a resource which is running out. plainly, in Ireland, this is not the case, and any charge we pay should reflect only the cost of storage and getting it to us. A tax would be ludicrous and serve no purpose only to raise yet more revenue for our wasteful and bloated government.

Auerillo, if you knew anything about the water situation in Ireland, you wouldn't be showing your ignorance with comments like this. Please do some research before you inflict your opinions on us.

Advertisement