Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People jaded by 'Green' issues

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Because I was paying for refuse collection for years before people starting kicking and screaming about having to do so.

Still no need to assume you were paying them before us here when you didnt know when anyone here started paying them is there?

djpbarry wrote: »
    You think that was a bad idea?
    Encourages recycling and reduces waste - again, not a bad idea (in my opinion).
    We'll have to wait and see about that one. Again, I wouldn't be totally opposed to it, in principle.
    :confused: Motor/road tax has been charged as long as I can remember.
    No, that's a disposal charge, not a tax.

Theres just no arguing with the blind.

You just dont get my point at all. For example, Look up the new motor tax regime will you.

My point - All sticks in the name of the environment. Remember the money back on bottles .... Carrot.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

KhanTheMan wrote: »
    Still no need to assume you were paying them before us here when you didnt know when anyone here started paying them is there?
    Fair enough. If you answer my question, we can clear this up.

You just dont get my point at all. For example, Look up the new motor tax regime will you.
    The one where more efficient cars have cheaper motor tax?

For shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

For example, Look up the new motor tax regime will you.

My point - All sticks in the name of the environment. Remember the money back on bottles .... Carrot.
    Remember that more efficient cars pay less tax? Carrot?

• Advertisement

Remember that more efficient cars pay less tax? Carrot?

And funnily enough the motor tax take is higher with the new regime. Dont take my word for it. look it up.

All an exercise in getting the tax take up, via green issues.

And funnily enough the motor tax take is higher with the new regime.
    Probably because car ownership is up too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Car ownership up ?!Everyone knows the car sales market is on its knees.If they are taking in more tax they have really pulled a fast one !

Probably because car ownership is up too?

No, its not because car ownership is up. Look it up.

OP is right, Im jaded about green issues already.

And yes Im TOTALLY sick of all the Green pontificating too despite being generally pro recycling etc ...Human CO2 causing catastrophic climate change ?Rubbish !(Science graduate )We are within a decade of the nightmarish pay per mile (£1.43 propsed by the UK Govt just recently).Cars and plane travel will soon be for the wealthy only.

• Advertisement

Oh, a science graduate? I guess that makes you an expert, so.

OscarBravo Ive read your passionate postings about how you saved the world from the Y2K bug ...now do you seriously think weve forgotten all the PC experts who charged a fortune to put 'Y2K safe' stickers on gullible companies computers.

tacconnol are you actually saying that you expect us to just stop travelling by air as the prices are hiked sky high by eco levies because our great grandparents couldnt afford to?!Same attitude to other luxuries like cars (of course I hardly need ask!)health care and oh yeah education ???

taconnol wrote: »
    You have an incredibly short memory. First of all, air travel has only existed for the last 100 years. And air travel that is affordable to the masses has only existed for the last c.30 years. (Ryanair was set up in 1985). Expensive air travel is the norm, not cheap air travel.

PhD here :)

Air travel like everything else is just more affordable than it used to be now. So affordable that it is ripe for the piking as far as taxing is concerned.
    Cheap air travel is actually the norm now, unless you havent noticed that Ryanair arent the only airline and that you can get to New York for a day or two wages. Been like that for a few years now too. I dont see this changeing ever - just the govts adding taxes now and again in the name of the environment. Just enough to bleed you up but not stop you flying.

Kind of like the tax on fags. They bleed people up so the take is higher but its not quite enough to make people give up smoking. If they really wanted people to stop smoking (like they should want) they should put the fags up by €50 or ban them altogether. So they go to the black economy, so what. Make the sentances for selling them so high that the risks of selling is huge, therefore the price charged is greater. So is Heroin and Cocaine sold on the black market and not nearly the same amount of people buy those as fags. End result a lot less people living longer lives than there are now, but wait ... Tax take down, no good.

Look lets reverse the whole "Think Globally Act Locally" slogan for a minute ...Think Locally .Its as simple as this the government allowed a situation to arise (they could lock down the market in the space of 3-6 months when they wanted) whereby I as a Dubliner with a good job could not afford a house in my home county let alone near the original community I grew up in.I consider myself lucky that I managed to get one in Kildare ,many ended up in Laois ,Westmeath etc .They then tax the buggery out of motorists who have to drive hours daily back to Dublin ...
    And we're expected to smile happy in the knowledge that we are saving the planet ...

ytareh wrote: »
    OscarBravo Ive read your passionate postings about how you saved the world from the Y2K bug ...now do you seriously think weve forgotten all the PC experts who charged a fortune to put 'Y2K safe' stickers on gullible companies computers.

I was actually one of those saviours :) . And i can tell you that while there was the odd serious bug it was so over hyped on purpose you wouldnt believe it. We made an absolute fortune out of it. Cobol programmers were brought in from the cold on £800 a day in 1999 when they were left on the sidelines years before.

We even sent out what we called scaresmen to clients to talk up the millenium bug. It was so well orchestrated that friends of clients were ringing us up begging for us to make them Y2K compliant. We had to bring in programmers from India and hire students whose only jobs were to go through code to find "DD/MM/YY" day in day out, just so we could print it out and send the scaresmen back to the clients. Then we would look at it and go "no problem", but charge to fix it anyway. We got £2000 a man (12 clients fell for it) for having people sit in the office of clients that night.

It was such a turkey shoot. The biggest con in History.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

tacconnol are you actually saying that you expect us to just stop travelling by air as the prices are hiked sky high by eco levies because our great grandparents couldnt afford to?!Same attitude to other luxuries like cars (of course I hardly need ask!)health care and oh yeah education ???
    Oh great, take something I said about one thing, apply it to something completely different. Great logic there...oh wait..

Anyway, on the air travel: basically yes. Boohoo. Is everyone going to go cry into their cappuccinos like the spoilt selfish, materialistic Westerners they are? Or are they going to cop on and realise that some things are more important in life than being able to fly to Europe 4 times a year. Oh another thing I forgot to point out: most humans in this world have never, and will never be on a plane. So fliying is most definitely not the norm, on a global level. You have a very West-centric way of looking at things.
    PhD here :)

Air travel like everything else is just more affordable than it used to be now. So affordable that it is ripe for the piking as far as taxing is concerned.
    Cheap air travel is actually the norm now, unless you havent noticed that Ryanair arent the only airline and that you can get to New York for a day or two wages. Been like that for a few years now too. I dont see this changeing ever - just the govts adding taxes now and again in the name of the environment. Just enough to bleed you up but not stop you flying.

Kind of like the tax on fags. They bleed people up so the take is higher but its not quite enough to make people give up smoking. If they really wanted people to stop smoking (like they should want) they should put the fags up by €50 or ban them altogether. So they go to the black economy, so what. Make the sentances for selling them so high that the risks of selling is huge, therefore the price charged is greater. So is Heroin and Cocaine sold on the black market and not nearly the same amount of people buy those as fags. End result a lot less people living longer lives than there are now, but wait ... Tax take down, no good.

I am aware that Ryanair is not the only airline that flies cheaply (btw, they don't go to NY but I take your point). I'm glad you pointed out that cheap air travel is the norm now. Because it sure ain't going to be like that in the future. Airline's fuel bills have doubled. Has anyone noticed the fule surcharges over €75 one way to New York? And this nothing to do with taxes. This is the simple market mechanism of supply and demand in action.

I'm not sure I understand your drug analogy or what it has to do with the environment...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Look lets reverse the whole "Think Globally Act Locally" slogan for a minute ...Think Locally .Its as simple as this the government allowed a situation to arise (they could lock down the market in the space of 3-6 months when they wanted) whereby I as a Dubliner with a good job could not afford a house in my home county let alone near the original community I grew up in.I consider myself lucky that I managed to get one in Kildare ,many ended up in Laois ,Westmeath etc .They then tax the buggery out of motorists who have to drive hours daily back to Dublin ...
    And we're expected to smile happy in the knowledge that we are saving the planet ...

The reason you're living in a house in Kildare and not an apartment in Dublin is due to a million human induced factors:

-Irish reluctance to live in apartments ("no, I want a garden! A gaarrdennn"!!")
    -Developer inability to build decent sized apartments
    -crap, crap local authority urban design and planning
    -the Fianna Fail government allowing the housing market to get to hysterical levels by misjudging demand and then allowing developers to build whatever they want.

The result: urban sprawl, based on private, car-based transport, the M50 mess (more capitulation to the developers), traffic jams, 5 hour daily commutes, a commuter belt that extents into 3 surrounding counties, rightfully disgrunted posters!

Look at cities like Copenhagen, where people live in spacious apartments that are well serviced by good public transport and cycle lanes. THe problem in Copenhagen isn't a lack of car parking spaces but bike parking spaces! Fantastic. The difference? Government policy and the general Danish attitude towards apartment-living.

I told my Norwegian friends that one of the best sellers in Ireland last year was "A guide to apartment living". They thought it was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

It was such a turkey shoot. The biggest con in History.

And yet, when ESB rolled their test systems forwards to see what would happen, after they had completed their first round of "readiness" checks, things promptly failed.

Had they done nothing other than those initial checks/fixes, the entire country would have been without power for about 2-3 days. Had they not done those initial checks/fixes, the country could have potentially been without power for weeks or longer.

That some conmen (like what you admit to having been) took advantage of the situation doesn't mean that there wasn't a problem and that the whole issue was a con.

The same applies with the Green question at hand.

There will be misguided fools who wouldn't know a good idea if it hit them in the head.

There will be the analogues to yourself in 1999, ready and willing to take other people's money by hyping up whatever snakeoil they want to sell.

And just like the millenium bug...underneath it all, there is a serious problem which needs addressing.

Anyway, on the air travel: basically yes. Boohoo. Is everyone going to go cry into their cappuccinos like the spoilt selfish, materialistic Westerners they are? Or are they going to cop on and realise that some things are more important in life than being able to fly to Europe 4 times a year. Oh another thing I forgot to point out: most humans in this world have never, and will never be on a plane. So fliying is most definitely not the norm, on a global level. You have a very West-centric way of looking at things.

Sorry, i didnt mean to sound like a grouch in the last post.

On the flights.

Go to Europe 4 times a year - About €200 or less for the 4 trips.

Double that price. Europe 4 times a year for €400 or less. Still happy and still going to Europe.

Even Double it again and im still going :)

Flying is definitely the norm here. Show me someone in Ireland who hasnt been on a plane. Slim Pickings. If i asked that question 20 years ago you could have pointed to most people. So it wasnt the norm 20 years ago.
    I am aware that Ryanair is not the only airline that flies cheaply (btw, they don't go to NY but I take your point). I'm glad you pointed out that cheap air travel is the norm now. Because it sure ain't going to be like that in the future. Airline's fuel bills have doubled. Has anyone noticed the fule surcharges over €75 one way to New York? And this nothing to do with taxes. This is the simple market mechanism of supply and demand in action.

People fly a lot. Its the norm now. Hell i flew to Gatwick last week to meet my brother for a pint in the Airport and came home. The first round cost me more than the trip. Flights Cost me €10.02 return . And €10 was a credit card charge. He's coming over to me for pint in 2 weeks and paying a similar amount. How is that going to stop. Sure if all our cars run on hydro generated electricity there will be no demand for Oil. Airlines can then buy it for nothing and flying is sooooo cheap then anyway.

A €75 each way fuel charge on a trip to New York at the prices those flights are now is not going to hurt anyone.

There is a thread in Bargain alerts with Flights to NY and LA for less than €350 return all in.

I'm not sure I understand your drug analogy or what it has to do with the environment...
    It was more of a tax and ciggy analogy.

• Advertisement

bonkey wrote: »
    And yet, when ESB rolled their test systems forwards to see what would happen, after they had completed their first round of "readiness" checks, things promptly failed.

Heard that one from a friend in ESB International. He told me it wasnt a catastrophic failure at all, and was actually down to bugs in changes introduced by the attempt to be Y2K compliant. The Irony.

On people not knowing good ideas if it hit them in the head i point to the people with the stick attitude to changing peoples behaviour.

Nobody is averse to a good idea. What people have a problem with is that the only measures introduced to help people be environmentally friendly are taxes and charges.

How about giving companies some tax breaks for each person they move to working a 10 hour 4 day week. One day less cars on the road.

Or what about building big free Park and Ride facilities near rural train stations (like in the UK and cities around the USA) instead of charging people who HAVE to drive miles to the station.

What about taxing petrol instead of road tax. The more you use the more you pay. Oh wait, they do both.

What about building 2 - way Bus only roads down the middle of the motorways like in Chicago. They are just like trains but more flexible when they break down and can be moved out of the way or drive around obstructions. Capacity can be increased by adding another bus easily instead of buying new expensive trains.

There are so many things that can be done FOR the general population.

Heard that one from a friend in ESB International. He told me it wasnt a catastrophic failure at all, and was actually down to bugs in changes introduced by the attempt to be Y2K compliant. The Irony.
    Did he claim that the software would have worked perfectly had they not attempted to fix the bugs? Is his position that there were no y2k bugs to fix? If so, he's full of it.

Sorry, i didnt mean to sound like a grouch in the last post.

On the flights.

Go to Europe 4 times a year - About €200 or less for the 4 trips.

Double that price. Europe 4 times a year for €400 or less. Still happy and still going to Europe.

Even Double it again and im still going :)

Now add on a carbon tax ;) . Look apart from the whole incentive/deterrant thing, there is another logic for carbon, or more generally, pollution taxation.
    When carbon is released into the air, this is a form of pollution. There is an actual price on removing that pollution from the atmosphere. At the moment, that cost is externalised to the rest of society (the government, ie taxpayers, having to put aside money to buy credits in order to offset emissions). With a carbon tax, this cost is instead internalised so that the person who emits the carbon pays, ie the "polluter pays" (fundamental EU environmental principle, adopted in the 1970s).

Your cigarette analogy is not the same because this is purely about raising revenue, although it could be argued that people who smoke cigarettes can be very expensive to the state (ie taxpayer) through their medical care. In addition, cigarette butts are the most common form of street sweepings. So why are taxpayers cleaning up after cigarette-smokers? With high taxes on cigarettes, at least they are contributing to the additional costs that they push onto the rest of society.
    Flying is definitely the norm here. Show me someone in Ireland who hasnt been on a plane. Slim Pickings. If i asked that question 20 years ago you could have pointed to most people. So it wasnt the norm 20 years ago.

People fly a lot. Its the norm now. Hell i flew to Gatwick last week to meet my brother for a pint in the Airport and came home. The first round cost me more than the trip. Flights Cost me €10.02 return . And €10 was a credit card charge. He's coming over to me for pint in 2 weeks and paying a similar amount. How is that going to stop. Sure if all our cars run on hydro generated electricity there will be no demand for Oil. Airlines can then buy it for nothing and flying is sooooo cheap then anyway.

A €75 each way fuel charge on a trip to New York at the prices those flights are now is not going to hurt anyone.

There is a thread in Bargain alerts with Flights to NY and LA for less than €350 return all in.

Yes, you keep saying that flying is the norm now. I know that. My point is that it will not be the norm in the future. Those cheap, cheap Ryanair flights? That's grand but Michael O'Leary is hoping, at best, to break even by the end of the year. It's for show, a gimmick. Did you see the recent Aerlingus report? They have lost €22.3 million so far this year and there are 4 months to go. Reason? Fuel costs. They're either going to have to up their prices or go bust. Simple as.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f9a3fb24-7502-11dd-ab30-0000779fd18c.html

Wtih other countries trying to achieve the same "quality of life" as the West, there is a huge increase in demand, and supply is not keeping up. Of course, there is the added effect of speculation, but the underlying trend is inevitable.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Did he claim that the software would have worked perfectly had they not attempted to fix the bugs? Is his position that there were no y2k bugs to fix? If so, he's full of it.

And you know this the same way you know when i started paying bin charges because you are clairvoyant. I get it.

Car ownership up ?!Everyone knows the car sales market is on its knees.
    Hardly – sales for this year are roughly in line with figures for 2003 and 2004:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/0901/breaking69.htm

Besides, the fact that sales are down on last year is irrelevant; if people are still buying cars, does that not open up the possibility that overall car ownership is going up? Car ownership in this country recently hit an all-time high:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2007/1215/1197543941932.html
    No, its not because car ownership is up. Look it up.
    No; you made the assertion, you back it up.
    Human CO2 causing catastrophic climate change ?Rubbish !(Science graduate )
    Science graduate?!? So why are you wasting your time here?!? The IPCC needs you! Quick – to the bio-eco-solar-windy-hydro-mobile! :rolleyes:
    tacconnol are you actually saying that you expect us to just stop travelling by air as the prices are hiked sky high by eco levies...
    Of course fuel costs have nothing to do with it...
    Cheap air travel is actually the norm now, unless you havent noticed that Ryanair arent the only airline and that you can get to New York for a day or two wages. Been like that for a few years now too. I dont see this changeing ever ...
    Seriously? Even as the price of oil climbs inexorably upward?
    Kind of like the tax on fags. They bleed people up so the take is higher but its not quite enough to make people give up smoking. If they really wanted people to stop smoking (like they should want) they should put the fags up by €50 or ban them altogether.
    Yeah, the smokers would love that, wouldn’t they?
    Its as simple as this the government allowed a situation to arise (they could lock down the market in the space of 3-6 months when they wanted) whereby I as a Dubliner with a good job could not afford a house in my home county let alone near the original community I grew up in.I consider myself lucky that I managed to get one in Kildare ,many ended up in Laois ,Westmeath etc .They then tax the buggery out of motorists who have to drive hours daily back to Dublin ...
    Who forced you to buy a house (in Kildare)? Commuting distances are a common complaint on boards.ie, but at the end of the day, people choose to live wherever it is they commute from. Yes, there are some appalling examples of planning in this country, but people were still happy to pay extortionate amounts of money for crap houses – nobody forced them.
    The biggest con in History.
    Was it? So no bugs needed to be fixed at all? All media hype, eh?
    People fly a lot. Its the norm now. Hell i flew to Gatwick last week to meet my brother for a pint in the Airport and came home.
    You’re seriously deluded if you think that’s normal behaviour.
    What people have a problem with is that the only measures introduced to help people be environmentally friendly are taxes and charges.
    Are there not tax incentives for buying/driving more fuel-efficient cars? Is there not a financial incentive more being more energy-efficient in general?

Hardly – sales for this year are roughly in line with figures for 2003 and 2004:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/0901/breaking69.htm

Besides, the fact that sales are down on last year is irrelevant; if people are still buying cars, does that not open up the possibility that overall car ownership is going up? Car ownership in this country recently hit an all-time high:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2007/1215/1197543941932.html
    No; you made the assertion, you back it up.
    Science graduate?!? So why are you wasting your time here?!? The IPCC needs you! Quick – to the bio-eco-solar-windy-hydro-mobile! :rolleyes:
    Of course fuel costs have nothing to do with it...
    Seriously? Even as the price of oil climbs inexorably upward?
    Yeah, the smokers would love that, wouldn’t they?
    Who forced you to buy a house (in Kildare)? Commuting distances are a common complaint on boards.ie, but at the end of the day, people choose to live wherever it is they commute from. Yes, there are some appalling examples of planning in this country, but people were still happy to pay extortionate amounts of money for crap houses – nobody forced them.
    Was it? So no bugs needed to be fixed at all? All media hype, eh?
    You’re seriously deluded if you think that’s normal behaviour. Are there not tax incentives for buying/driving more fuel-efficient cars? Is there not a financial incentive more being more energy-efficient in general?

You see that's the problem. People won't do their own research. You would rather links etc were put on front of you instead of you actually doing the research yourself. Do some research and don't be so lazy. You may find some info that others won't post here. It's nor hard to find all sorts of info on car tax, whose flying, why, and how much it's costing them etc. Laziness won't get you anywhere.

You see that's the problem. People won't do their own research. You would rather links etc were put on front of you instead of you actually doing the research yourself. Do some research and don't be so lazy. You may find some info that others won't post here. It's nor hard to find all sorts of info on car tax, whose flying, why, and how much it's costing them etc. Laziness won't get you anywhere.

KhanTheMan it's no one else's job to back up their claims but the person making the claims. What sort of reaction do you think I would get if I handed in my dissertation with no references & told my tutor to "do some research and don't be so lazy"?

Obviously this forum is not on the same level but the same general rule applies. If you want people to think that you're credible, prove it - and don't YOU be so lazy as to fob it off onto other people.

actually people believe what they read on the web too easily. They also dismiss links posted by others just because they don't fit with their viewpoint. It's in your own interest to locate the figures you want for yourself. That way you know how you got to them and what is valid. Instead of me giving you what could be a link to anything. The only way you can be sure is to find out for yourself. And it's not hard to find the figures you are looking for I'd you just look for a few mind.

You give me the link and I will judge the credibility of that link myself.

Link to Wikipedia? Err..not so good
    Link to the EPA? Credible.

Just because its online doesn't mean it's trash. It's still your job to back-up your view point.

• Advertisement

You see that's the problem. People won't do their own research. You would rather links etc were put on front of you instead of you actually doing the research yourself.
    No, I would rather people back up their claims with some evidence. I’m still not entirely sure what your initial claim was (regarding motor tax) so how am I supposed to know what figures to look for? Am I a clairvoyant too?
    Do some research and don't be so lazy.
    <looks at own sig>

Oh, the irony.
    actually people believe what they read on the web too easily. They also dismiss links posted by others just because they don't fit with their viewpoint.
    That’s a complete cop-out; “what’s the point in backing up my argument – nobody will believe me.
    It's in your own interest to locate the figures you want for yourself. That way you know how you got to them and what is valid. Instead of me giving you what could be a link to anything.
    As taconnol has already said, you provide the source and it’s then up to others to deem whether said source is credible.

The only thing I can take from all of this is that you are unable to support your argument.

Advertisement