Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CIE Fine for no ticket.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Heroditas

kearnsr wrote: »

I get the train every day from there. I know just as you do how it works there. I'd have to double check but I'm failry sure if your in the ticket box you cant see some one waiting at the gate to be buzzed in

I was thinking the same thing myself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

The OP made a genuine mistake and attempted to explain it only to be met by some CIE jobsworth trying to show what a big man he is by increasing a fine on a whim. Even the Gardai will (generally) give you 10 days to produce your documentation if you don't have them at the roadside - it's called being flexible.. something CIE know nothing about.

For all those sticking with the "if you don't have a ticket you shouldn't board the train" line, what about intending passengers at Broombridge?

So how is some meant to tell the difference between a scumbag trying to avoid the a fare and some one who forgot their ticket? Is it on rule for "you" and another rule for "them"?

Kaboombridge is a different story and not the issue at hand with the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭markpb

So how is some meant to tell the difference between a scumbag trying to avoid the a fare and some one who forgot their ticket? Is it on rule for "you" and another rule for "them"?

Scumbags generally don't show themselves to staff announcing they don't have a ticket :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

markpb wrote: »
    Scumbags generally don't show themselves to staff announcing they don't have a ticket :D

They get clever and clever every day.

My sisters exBF used to work in Conolly taking tickets. He spotted a reapted fare dodger up to his old tricks. Pulled him over going through the paper work and asked him about his tie. He wore it so he wouldnt stand out so much. The exBf said you should have got one that matched your burbury cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,788 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Kaboombridge is a different story and not the issue at hand with the OP.

With all due respect, Broombridge IS in fact "one rule for you and another for them" - you (more specifically IE) can't have it both ways. You either provide enough ticket facilities at EVERY station, or you accept that some passengers will not have one at their destination, take their details certainly, BUT give them a chance to prove their innocence before you arbitrailly impose an apparently random (rather than fixed) fine - or to put it another way, innocent until PROVEN guilty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,348 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Chill out folks.

If tickets are for sale before you board, then you must get a ticket.

Kaiser2000, sure the OP made a mistake, but one has to take responsibility for one's mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

there is no clear way of distinguishing who is genuine and who is not. the O.P. as stated didn't have a valid ticket then lashes out at a staff menber who is doing what they are paid to do. there are signs are every station reminding passengers about having valid tickets and the consequences of not having one.
    I know for a fact dublin bus have a zero tollerence policy and unit when it comes to not having valid tickets so i assume irish rail would also have the same.
    if this was a genuine mistake then i think the O.P. could've sorted his mess out before he left the station i.e. he should've asked to speak to a manager there and then, but then again he left himself wide open by getting agressive/ abusive.
    as the saying goes ,up there for thinking and down there for dancin
    now getting to the abusive bit, these guys are not paid to take abuse from anyone. also the new barriers were put in city centre stations for a reason.
    would the O.P. have been just as quick with his tongue if there had been inspectors on the train.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    With all due respect, Broombridge IS in fact "one rule for you and another for them" - you (more specifically IE) can't have it both ways. You either provide enough ticket facilities at EVERY station, or you accept that some passengers will not have one at their destination, take their details certainly, BUT give them a chance to prove their innocence before you arbitrailly impose an apparently random (rather than fixed) fine - or to put it another way, innocent until PROVEN guilty.

if a station doesnt have ticket facilities your supposed to buy a ticket from the ticket checker on the train.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Victor wrote: »
    Kaiser2000, sure the OP made a mistake, but one has to take responsibility for one's mistakes.
    From my reading of it, the OP tried to rectify the mistake but ended getting fined
    if a station doesnt have ticket facilities your supposed to buy a ticket from the ticket checker on the train.
    The Longford tale seems to dispute this possibility!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

kbannon wrote: »
    From my reading of it, the OP tried to rectify the mistake but ended getting fined

The Longford tale seems to dispute this possibility!

Exactly. Its unfortunate and i'm sure if this employee h knew the full story was fact he would have been far more lenient. As has been mentioned though, it is impossible to distinguish between a regular commuter who has made a genuine mistake and one who is a regular fare evader.

AFAIK if you can't buy a ticket at the station you are permitted to board the train and buy it at the next opportunity (either on the train or at your destination).

Back on topic, I don't think this person helped themselves by starting to curse at the ticket checker the moment you didn't get your way. If you are relentlessly nice to whooever you're dealing with, most of them would let you off. People don't like to fine nice people, they would tend to be used to dealing with far more ebrasive personalities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

walked through the barriers today (with a valid ticket) didnt even have to show it. the employee keeping the doors open by standing in front of the sensor was texting on his phone. should have just done this yesterday:)

some people here are under the illusion that I was abusive/not pleasent to the clerk before I got the fine. Im afraid this wasnt the case. I went up to him, explained my mistake, he said "hang on a sec, have you got id?, sign this" and then gives me the fine. Then I got upset, as the lad had conned me into signing something without telling me it was a fine. I thought it was just a formality where they take your name if you havent got a ticket and then penalise you if you do it more than once. Thought the whole process was a bit underhanded. There might be some cute hewers here who have never been conned but trust me you'll be pissed off when it happens.

If I ever forget a ticket again, Im going to hop on the next train back to clonsilla/ashtown even maynooth if I have to and purchase a ticket there. then get back on the train to connolly. My ould fella used to always say "honesty is the best policy".......... which I believed until now :D
    Heroditas wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing myself.
    Sorry lads but it is also possible to take a step back if you cant be seen.

Oh yeah and attached you will find the fine itself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

penexpers wrote: »
    What was wrong with the ticket vending machines in Longford?

As far as I am aware there are no ticket machines in Longford yet. I did ask the gentleman in the information office and like I said he told me I would be charged 10 euros for buying the ticket ON THE TRAIN he mentioned nothing about using a machine and like I said if they had of been there I would have spotted them. If 31 euros is the normal fee fine... but since there was a promotion and I was told I would get this ON THE TRAIN I felt cheated.

The wrong information given to me by an Irish Rail employee resulted in me having to pay 3 times more... I reckon this is reason to be p*ssed off...

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

A lot of things don't add up.

Buys a weekly tickert every week - mmm?? Would you not be better off with yearly or even monthly or do you like paying extra?

You always buy a weekly ticket buy yet you didn't have enough money this week - if you were in a routine as you claim then you would not

Get on at Maynoothvs Louisa Bridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

barryfitz wrote: »
    walked through the barriers today (with a valid ticket) didnt even have to show it. the employee keeping the doors open by standing in front of the sensor was texting on his phone. should have just done this yesterday:)

some people here are under the illusion that I was abusive/not pleasent to the clerk before I got the fine. Im afraid this wasnt the case. I went up to him, explained my mistake, he said "hang on a sec, have you got id?, sign this" and then gives me the fine. Then I got upset, as the lad had conned me into signing something without telling me it was a fine. I thought it was just a formality where they take your name if you havent got a ticket and then penalise you if you do it more than once. Thought the whole process was a bit underhanded. There might be some cute hewers here who have never been conned but trust me you'll be pissed off when it happens.

If I ever forget a ticket again, Im going to hop on the next train back to clonsilla/ashtown even maynooth if I have to and purchase a ticket there. then get back on the train to connolly. My ould fella used to always say "honesty is the best policy".......... which I believed until now :D

Sorry lads but it is also possible to take a step back if you cant be seen.

Oh yeah and attached you will find the fine itself
    Just because you were honest doesn't mean you should be let off a fine which was imposed on you because you didn't have a ticket for the journey.

The fine is not for people who who deliberately try to avoid paying. It's for people who don't have a valid ticket. Them's the rules and clarity on that point is essential to ensure that there's no loophole for people to use when they're caught.

Kida another detective eh.

No it is not cheaper to buy a monthly ticket. Ask the girl at the desk in louisa bridge.

No I will not buy a yearly ticket when my job is about to move out to blanchardstown. Imagine trying to get a refund out of CIE for paying for a yearly ticket and then stop using the service after a couple of months.

Yes I am in a routine, but thats a just a silly argument to make and I dont know where your going with that.

Get on at Maynoothvs Louisa Bridge ?????????

What does this mean????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Does it really matter what ticket the OP wants to buy, that is his decision.
    I know how it feels i half got stung like this before had my ticket forgot my Usit id at the time was on the dart. The inspector made a huge deal out of it fined me. I said i could present the ID just forgot it this morning buthad my ticket didn't matter.

But the i am perfect brigade is in full fling but if you read the 1st post the op says ok i had to pay the fine, just thought i would be honest didn't work (lesson there DIShonesty is the best policy) but why fine me an extra €50 for saying this is bull****.

Iam sorry but some of the staff within CIE, including SOME bus drivers and ticket inspectors etc are assh*les.

I did have an incident were i got on a train that didn't stop at my stop, i got off at the next stop crossed the track got the exact same train back, met the ticket inspector and he felt sorry for me as he didn't pick up on it when i got on the train left me off a fine or anything. So there is nice guys out there too!

Get on at Maynoothvs Louisa Bridge ?????????

What does this mean????????????

You said first you got on at Maynooth then Louisa Bridge

Sean_K wrote: »
    The fine is not for people who who deliberately try to avoid paying. It's for people who don't have a valid ticket. Them's the rules and clarity on that point is essential to ensure that there's no loophole for people to use when they're caught.
    OK then, are there stats for the number of people fined for getting on at Broombridge and for the number of them that were fined?

You said first you got on at Maynooth then Louisa Bridge

We have already been through this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

kbannon wrote: »
    OK then, are there stats for the number of people fined for getting on at Broombridge and for the number of them that were fined?
    (assuming i'm interpreting your post right, it's not very clear: )

There are figures for how much shoplifting goes on and how many shoplifters are caught and believe me the discrepancy is huge.

People are always going to slip through the net. The OP didn't. Tough.

• Advertisement

We have already been through this.

You asked the question and I was just giving the answer.

Sean_K wrote: »
    (assuming i'm interpreting your post right, it's not very clear: )

There are figures for how much shoplifting goes on and how many shoplifters are caught and believe me the discrepancy is huge.

People are always going to slip through the net. The OP didn't. Tough.
    My point was that whilst CIE have fines for people who don't have a valid ticket (but who genuinely wish to get one) they won't say boo to anyone who gets on at Broombridge because they as a company decide not to have any method to purchase tickets there!
    Either they should fine people for not having a ticket or not but their current policy of allowing people to purchase one at the destination if its not possible to get one at the station of departure seems to be disallowed except if you come from Broombridge. Why the double standards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Xcellor wrote: »
    As far as I am aware there are no ticket machines in Longford yet.

Yes there are. There is at least one possibly two. I remember because I was checking the single fare from Longford to Maynooth to see how much it cost in comparison to the bus that I was just about to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

If people always had a valid ticket with them, we wouldn't be having discussions on this matter.

I'm closing this thread. It's clear to me that well over half the arguments in this country involve "people should enforce the rules except when it's me who broke them".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement