Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CIE Fine for no ticket.

Options
  • 02-09-2008 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Ok was really pissed off about this a while ago but ive calmed down now. I travel from Maynooth to Connolly on the train every morning for the last two years any always buy a weekly ticket. However yesterday morning (it being a monday and all that) I only had the price of a daily ticket. Grand! So this morning I roll in to Connolly and realise I havent got my usual weekly ticket before I even try go through the barriers, then I go up to the stand and try and explian as nicely as possible what had happened, the guy at the stall slaps me with a €50 fine. Then I go on to say that I have spent over €2000 on tickets and have never been without a ticket before and that this was BS. As soon as those words had left my mouth he scribbles out the €50 euro box and ticks the €100 box!!!. Surely I cant be penalised for saying a policy is BS!!! I will pay the €50 fine for not having the ticket but no way am I paying €50 for saying "bullsh1t".

After all the crap of trains not turning up for no reason and being told to find my own way home on numerous occasions. I slip up once and get rode for it.

Rant over.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

That's awful, you should escalate that to his manager (for all the use it'll do). You can't add to a fine for cursing.

CIE unionized scum prove their worth yet again. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

buy an annual ticket, they'll still fine you if you forget it but you can get the fine cancelled subsequently.

not sure what right they have to increase the fine arbitrarily like that though - maybe go ask on the Rail Users Ireland messageboard.

loyatemu wrote: »
    not sure what right they have to increase the fine arbitrarily like that though - maybe go ask on the Rail Users Ireland messageboard.

I'd be fairly certain it's none. If the fine is the 'standard fare' you can't add to it because someone cursed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

barryfitz wrote: »

As soon as those words had left my mouth he scribbles out the €50 euro box and ticks the €100 box!!!.

I find that hard to believe. I'm sure there is more to the story than what you've said.

At the end of the day it’s your responsibility to have a valid ticket. Doesnt matter if you've spent €2k over the years on tickets.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

You're supposed to have a valid ticket for your journey - why did you expect him to take 'bull****' as an excuse? It's not acceptable to treat employees of a company like that in the first place. Though I do think he cannot actually fine you for saying it in fact.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Red Alert wrote: »

why did you expect him to take 'bull****' as an excuse? It's not acceptable to treat employees of a company like that in the first place.

Thats a good point actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Peckham

loyatemu wrote: »
    buy an annual ticket, they'll still fine you if you forget it but you can get the fine cancelled subsequently.

I've wondered about this. I have an annual ticket, which I didn't have on me once as I had forgotten my wallet. I bought a return ticket for that day, however was wondering if I'd have any leg to stand on if I had not bought a ticket and subsequently been caught without a ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

You're supposed to have a valid ticket for your journey - why did you expect him to take 'bull****' as an excuse? It's not acceptable to treat employees of a company like that in the first place. Though I do think he cannot actually fine you for saying it in fact.

The fine may be discretionary.

The inspectors may let someone off with 50 quid for a genuine mistake/excuse, and increase it if someone just deliverately hopped on/spouted bull**** like the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

paulm17781 wrote: »
    CIE unionized scum prove their worth yet again. :rolleyes:

Scum? The OP didn't have a valid ticket and was abusive to a guy carrying out his job.

Ciaran B wrote: »
    Scum? The OP didn't have a valid ticket and was abusive to a guy carrying out his job.

To which the guy showed he's a small weak man with power by increasing the fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Could the OP have said they got on at Broombridge?
    No ticket machine there and could have bought a ticket on arrival at Connolly.

The OP was well out of order as others have posted imo.
    Ever work in customer service or with the public? It sucks :(

I'm not sure how that fine got increased though, that's worth checking further.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Dlite

Actually you don't need to pay the fine. All you need to do is send a photocopy of your annual pass with the fine and they will strike it off. I work in the IFSC and have done this a few times... feckin Monday mornings!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

kearnsr wrote: »
    I find that hard to believe. I'm sure there is more to the story than what you've said.

At the end of the day it’s your responsibility to have a valid ticket. Doesnt matter if you've spent €2k over the years on tickets.

I dont think thats the point the OP was making. He accepts the initial fine for not having the ticket.

Fines are ultimately discretionary, but as you know OP, mouthing off isnt going to help. Surely its a fixed fine for no ticket so I dont understand how he had the power to increase it on the spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I was screwed by Irish rail the other day. I arrived for my train on time (im not a regular train user). It was departing longford at 6:15pm, I arrived at 5:45. I went into the station and both of the desks for purchasing the tickets at were closed. I went outside to the area that said Information.. I asked a gentleman who was working there where I could buy the ticket. He said "On the train"... I made him repeat it three times to make sure I wasn't mistaken. Fine... I assumed that there must be some ticket desk strike or something and boarded the train.

Roll forward 30 minutes mr. ticket inspector comes and asks for a ticket which of course I didn't have and I explained the reason. He said that a few lads up the train had got on at Longford and had a ticket.... He then proceeded to slap me with a 31 euro fare for a single from Longford to Connelly!!! (should have cost 10 euro) I explained that I was told what I was told.. but he didn't care... That attitude STINKS and he just assumed I was lying. Sent a complaint to Irish rail... doubt I'll hear anything back though. My blood still boils thinking about it! Royally screwed.

Made me think twice about taking the train again, with customer service like that...

X

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

I find that hard to believe. I'm sure there is more to the story than what you've said

Nope thats exactly how it happened.
    micmclo wrote: »
    Could the OP have said they got on at Broombridge?
    No ticket machine there and could have bought a ticket on arrival at Connolly.

I will be doing this if I ever forget a ticket again. That was the main reason I went up to the box in the first place as I have often seen people purchase tickets in the morning. Had I tried to get through the barriers I probably could have done so, but no me being honest I went up to pay for my ticket from maynooth and he asked me to sign something (jesus I will never sign anything agian withiout reading it FULLY) which I thought was just some formality for not having a ticket, he tears the bottom slip off and its a fine. He never informed me he was giving me a fine until after I signed it. So forgive me for getting a bit peeved.

I didnt abuse him directly. Saying that a policy is a bull**** policy is not a direct attack on the guy. Exact words were "this is bull**** I was trying to purchase a ticket not con anyone". Had I called him a stupid w**nker that would have been abusive.

And to all the do gooders out there, wait till it happens to you, you will understand how I feel then.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,116 ✭✭✭✭L1011

How did you get *on* the train in Maynooth without a ticket without deliberately avoiding the barriers?

Xcellor wrote: »
    I was screwed by Irish rail the other day. I arrived for my train on time (im not a regular train user). It was departing longford at 6:15pm, I arrived at 5:45. I went into the station and both of the desks for purchasing the tickets at were closed. I went outside to the area that said Information.. I asked a gentleman who was working there where I could buy the ticket. He said "On the train"... I made him repeat it three times to make sure I wasn't mistaken. Fine... I assumed that there must be some ticket desk strike or something and boarded the train.

Roll forward 30 minutes mr. ticket inspector comes and asks for a ticket which of course I didn't have and I explained the reason. He said that a few lads up the train had got on at Longford and had a ticket.... He then proceeded to slap me with a 31 euro fare for a single from Longford to Connelly!!! (should have cost 10 euro) I explained that I was told what I was told.. but he didn't care... That attitude STINKS and he just assumed I was lying. Sent a complaint to Irish rail... doubt I'll hear anything back though. My blood still boils thinking about it! Royally screwed.

Made me think twice about taking the train again, with customer service like that...

X

There is more than 2 desks at conolly to buy tickets. There is also a few ticket machinces there. All the signs saw dont board the train with out a valid ticket.

Again why should he care what your excuse was? How is he to know if your telling the truth or bull****ting?

Nope thats exactly how it happened.

I will be doing this if I ever forget a ticket again. That was the main reason I went up to the box in the first place as I have often seen people purchase tickets in the morning. Had I tried to get through the barriers I probably could have done so, but no me being honest I went up to pay for my ticket from maynooth and he asked me to sign something (jesus I will never sign anything agian withiout reading it FULLY) which I thought was just some formality for not having a ticket, he tears the bottom slip off and its a fine. He never informed me he was giving me a fine until after I signed it. So forgive me for getting a bit peeved.

I didnt abuse him directly. Saying that a policy is a bull**** policy is not a direct attack on the guy. Exact words were "this is bull**** I was trying to purchase a ticket not con anyone". Had I called him a stupid w**nker that would have been abusive.

And to all the do gooders out there, wait till it happens to you, you will understand how I feel then.

Can you scan and post the fine?

I've an anual ticket. I've forgotten it a few times and have just paid the fare. **** happens but if you play by the rules you dont get screwed over

MYOB wrote: »
    How did you get *on* the train in Maynooth without a ticket without deliberately avoiding the barriers?

In Louisa Bridge they have a side gate open. I just walk through that every morning as I dont need to get a ticket.

Is it the same there?

MYOB wrote: »

I actually get on at Leixlip Louisa bridge and I just waved to the girl behind the glass as i passed through the gate the same as I always do.Which cant be illegal as she has to press a button to let me through the gate. in fact I wonder if she would vouch for me always purchasing a weekly ticket. why the *on*?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

He then proceeded to slap me with a 31 euro fare for a single from Longford to Connelly!!! (should have cost 10 euro) I explained that I was told what I was told.. but he didn't care... That attitude STINKS and he just assumed I was lying. Sent a complaint to Irish rail... doubt I'll hear anything back though. My blood still boils thinking about it! Royally screwed.

The correct fare is 31.00 so why bitch, the lovely 10 euro deal was only good after the morning rush hour and tis gone now.

You had no ticket, broke the rules, you got caught and you mouthed off. The fine is €100 that be the law, any less is at the discretion of the inspector. What little sympathy you had went out the window. Lesson here is to show a little respect, no one should have to deal with such langauge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

X

What was wrong with the ticket vending machines in Longford?

I actually get on at Leixlip Louisa bridge and I just waved to the girl behind the glass as i passed through the gate the same as I always do.Which cant be illegal as she has to press a button to let me through the gate. in fact I wonder if she would vouch for me always purchasing a weekly ticket. why the *on*?:confused:
    Ok was really pissed off about this a while ago but ive calmed down now. I travel from Maynooth to Connolly on the train every morning for the last two years any always buy a weekly ticket.

If you are going to tell stories at least get your story straight.

The gate in Louisa Bridge is either opened or closed. If its closed you use your ticket. If its open you walk through at your own risk (again it says its up to you to make sure you have a ticket). I've never seen the lady bus any one through once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Ok was really pissed off about this a while ago but ive calmed down now. I travel from Maynooth to Connolly on the train every morning for the last two years any always buy a weekly ticket. However yesterday morning (it being a monday and all that) I only had the price of a daily ticket. Grand! So this morning I roll in to Connolly and realise I havent got my usual weekly ticket before I even try go through the barriers, then I go up to the stand and try and explian as nicely as possible what had happened, the guy at the stall slaps me with a €50 fine. Then I go on to say that I have spent over €2000 on tickets and have never been without a ticket before and that this was BS. As soon as those words had left my mouth he scribbles out the €50 euro box and ticks the €100 box!!!. Surely I cant be penalised for saying a policy is BS!!! I will pay the €50 fine for not having the ticket but no way am I paying €50 for saying "bullsh1t".

After all the crap of trains not turning up for no reason and being told to find my own way home on numerous occasions. I slip up once and get rode for it.

Rant over.

you have to have a valid ticket if you travel on the train. if you forgot your weekly ticket it doesnt matter as you will still be on the train without a valid ticket. if you are on the train without a ticket you will get fined. it doesnt matter how much youve spent before because they are not goin to know if youre telling the truth or not. if you were at an airport do you think they would let you on a plane with no ticket even if youd bought a ticket there every week previously. obviously not. the rules are there for everyone.

the poster from longford who said the ticket inspector fined him was treated in the wrong way. if the ticket desk was not open at the station the ticket inspector on the train should have sold you one. he was wrong to fine you. you should make a complaint because you should have not been fined if there was no one to buy a ticket from at the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

the poster from longford who said the ticket inspector fined him was treated in the wrong way. if the ticket desk was not open at the station the ticket inspector on the train should have sold you one. he was wrong to fine you. you should make a complaint because you should have not been fined if there was no one to buy a ticket from at the station.

No, in this case he should have bought his ticket from the ticket vending machines. I am pretty certain there are at least two in Longford station.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

penexpers wrote: »
    No, in this case he should have bought his ticket from the ticket vending machines. I am pretty certain there are at least two in Longford station.

Guy was charged the normal fare anyway, don't see the fuss, he wasn't fined, non issue.

Guy was charged the normal fare anyway, don't see the fuss, he wasn't fined, non issue.

The lad who didnt have the ticket is making an issue out of it

If you are going to tell stories at least get your story straight.

I said maynooth for anyone who might read this that isnt on the Longford Line. As they wouldnt have a bulls notion where Leixlip Louisa Bridge is.
    The gate in Louisa Bridge is either opened or closed. If its closed you use your ticket. If its open you walk through at your own risk (again it says its up to you to make sure you have a ticket). I've never seen the lady bus any one through once.

Wrong

Can you scan and post the fine?

I've an anual ticket. I've forgotten it a few times and have just paid the fare. **** happens but if you play by the rules you dont get screwed over

Scan and post the fine on here? Yes I can but why?

What will you do if you only realise you have forgotten the ticket when you get off the train at connolly? accept an unnecessary fine willy nilly?

I said maynooth for anyone who might read this that isnt on the Longford Line. As they wouldnt have a bulls notion where Leixlip Louisa Bridge is.

Wrong

If you stated Leixlip first time there wouldnt be this confusion.

I get the train every day from there. I know just as you do how it works there. I'd have to double check but I'm failry sure if your in the ticket box you cant see some one waiting at the gate to be buzzed in
    Scan and post the fine on here? Yes I can but why?

What will you do if you only realise you have forgotten the ticket when you get off the train at connolly? accept an unnecessary fine willy nilly?

If you post it it may give an insight as to why there was a double fine.

As has been said many times its up to you to check you have a ticket before you get on the train not when you get to your destination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,760 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ah as usual a thread descends into the holier-than-thou brigade reading from the IE rulebook :rolleyes:

The OP made a genuine mistake and attempted to explain it only to be met by some CIE jobsworth trying to show what a big man he is by increasing a fine on a whim. Even the Gardai will (generally) give you 10 days to produce your documentation if you don't have them at the roadside - it's called being flexible.. something CIE know nothing about.

For all those sticking with the "if you don't have a ticket you shouldn't board the train" line, what about intending passengers at Broombridge? By that logic why does the train even stop there if there's no ticket office/validation on the platform? "Ah but they should prepay then" I hear ye say - why? You can pay cash at any other station on the line.

The problem highlighted by the OP and Xcellor is CIE's lack of customer service and jobsworth employees - as usual. Never mind that IE are further encouraging people to drive by charging for parking, and the high fares, and the unreliable service, this "it depends who you get" approach to enforcement (which to be fair to them is prevalent in EVERYTHING run by the Irish!) only serves to further alienate their current (and potential) customers further.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement