Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New motorway verge maintenance & planting: non existent!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

When I drove on the M6 in England recently some sections were well kept lanscaping wise, others were very poorly kept.

On the sections which were poorly kept (weeds and ugly **** all over the embankments) it gave the impression that the actual road was poorly kept/maintained/not in the best condition to drive on (even though it was in fine condition to drive on).

In contrast, the sections which had embankments that were very well kept gave the impression of a well maintained motorway and it was generally more pleasurable driving on these sections because of it.

Might not make much sense to some people, but that's just the impressions I personally got from the contrasting sections.

Good landscaping is not 100% essential (in operational terms) but it's definetly worth the effort. And the operators of tolled motorways in this country should definetly put in this extra effort in my opinion.

KevR wrote: »
    When I drove on the M6 in England recently some sections were well kept lanscaping wise, others were very poorly kept.

On the sections which were poorly kept (weeds and ugly **** all over the embankments) it gave the impression that the actual road was poorly kept/maintained/not in the best condition to drive on (even though it was in fine condition to drive on).

In contrast, the sections which had embankments that were very well kept gave the impression of a well maintained motorway and it was generally more pleasurable driving on these sections because of it.

Might not make much sense to some people, but that's just the impressions I personally got from the contrasting sections.

Good landscaping is not 100% essential (in operational terms) but it's definetly worth the effort. And the operators of tolled motorways in this country should definetly put in this extra effort in my opinion.

I think it's more to do with the fact that when motorways were built in the 70s or earlier, there wasn't really anything in the budget for landscaping.

I remember when a bypass was built where I used to live, the old section of road ended up like an "oxbow lake", landscaping consisted in levelling the piles of spoil and dumping a bit of topsoil over it (if there was any around).

BTW, that particular bypass still looks that way even today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Furet wrote: »
    The NRA seems to have embraced a trendy new planting philosophy: that of landscaping to mimic the geographic and floral look of the area upon which new roads get built. Sounds good in theory.

No, that's their usual philosophy (and indeed of many others in Ireland, both in public and private sector): Make it up as we go along... Don't bother even a cursory examination as to whether the latest bright idea is remotely sensible.

At least a lack of planting presumably costs less, unlike say, putting up illogical motorway gantry signage that has to be later replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Zoney wrote: »
    At least a lack of planting presumably costs less, unlike say, putting up illogical motorway gantry signage that has to be later replaced.

I'm sorry for bringing this off-topic but just a quick question: has the hideous N7 Naas Bypass one-panel-per-lane gantry signage been replaced? I couldn't believe it when I saw those awful gantries for the first time two years ago. I haven't been up in a while, have they changed it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

No im not missing the point, Traffic safety should have a priority over motorway aestetics.
    Plants on the sides of motorways are not about aesthetics. They are functional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

BluntGuy wrote: »
    I'm sorry for bringing this off-topic but just a quick question: has the hideous N7 Naas Bypass one-panel-per-lane gantry signage been replaced? I couldn't believe it when I saw those awful gantries for the first time two years ago. I haven't been up in a while, have they changed it?

They changed it in most places. Now it's one panel for the turnoff, and a wide green panel with 3 lane arrows for the mainline. I think they still have the old panels for when you approach the M7 though.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

This thread sums up the level of delusion that still exists in this country for me. The country is undergoing an economic collapse. I think people need to get their priorities in order - fast!

In an ideal world yes we should have nice roads - sadly we are turning into a poor country again that quite literally cannot afford to do anything now. And the worst is yet to come. Think Ireland in the 50's - because that's the pace of progress we will have in the next decade at least. There will be no more roads, no more new railways, hardly any construction whatsoever from 2010 onward. Maybe then reality will hit home. Will the many people, and some of you may well be those people, who lose everything in this catastophe give a damn about verges on motorways?

I know it's a little issue in the grand scheme of things - but you can thank the people that destroyed this country for not having our roads maintained. This country is destroyed. Some people just don't seem to get it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

darkman: a lot of these roads were planned and/or built during the boom. It's perfectly reasonable to complain about any corners that may have been cut. Maybe it's not a priority but this is a commuting and transport forum and the OP has brought up the subject. What do you want - people to say "ah sure it's grand"?

If people stop complaining about even such small things as untidy finishes to roads - it lets people off the hook. There is too much of people being let off the hook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

darkman2 wrote: »
    This thread sums up the level of delusion that still exists in this country for me. The country is undergoing an economic collapse. I think people need to get their priorities in order - fast!

My God, you're right! Let's stop sweeping the streets while we're at it.

Furet wrote: »
    My God, you're right! Let's stop sweeping the streets while we're at it.

If those shrubs growing next to the central concrete barrier on the M6 near Rhode get any bigger, they'll need to close the overtaking lane!

They are allowing debris to accumulate as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

If those shrubs growing next to the central concrete barrier on the M6 near Rhode get any bigger, they'll need to close the overtaking lane!

They are allowing debris to accumulate as well.
    Indeed.
    On the way to and from Cork on the M4 and M7/M8 last week there were a number of shreds of truck tyre in the overtaking lane in various places. Not the safest and especially in the overtaking lane.

In germany a radio announcement is made for people to avoid the objects when this happens, and then they are cleared ASAP.
    In Ireland they are just left there for 1000 years till they bio-degrade. (although the steel might take longer!)

Ireland will never be as efficient as germany. But its no excuse for having dangerous roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sheelbee

Amtmann wrote: »
    The picture was taken in June, and has since gotten far worse as the grass is now dying, and weeds have grown up and have gone to seed. Bear in mind too that these have colonised far beyond the road, infesting many adjacent once verdant areas.

Now that sloping embankment is between 30 and 45 feet high on both sides. Where is the danger in planting low-growing hawthorn, for example?
    Anyone see the circus !! ? I was on the M50/ M4 Roundabout an saw at least 4 people on stand on mowers cutting the steep banks, believe me it was a scary sight, men and machines whizzing up and down the slopes (must have been 30/40 degree angle what really worried me was if yhey lost control there was little or no run off area,,,,Surely this will end in a tragic accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

For the first time, this week, I saw a van with Motorway Maintenance parked up in the verge in the M9 with some blokes cutting the grass, and more unexpectedly, further on - a van with NRA on the side and two geezers picking up litter.

The NRA taking responsibility for motorway maintenance?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

For the first time, this week, I saw a van with Motorway Maintenance parked up in the verge in the M9 with some blokes cutting the grass, and more unexpectedly, further on - a van with NRA on the side and two geezers picking up litter.

The NRA taking responsibility for motorway maintenance?
    On some of the motorways, the NRA has agreed multi-county contracts for light maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I was just commenting on this the other day to a work colleague. There are new dedicated teams cutting the grass and cleaning the motorway. They have NRA own vans and equipment. This was on the M9, I assume the others are the same now. Definitely a noticeable improvement on the patchwork attempts the Councils used make, so far at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 M4Girl

The MMaRC contracts (A, B and C) have taken over motorway maintenance and renewal outside the PPP areas. Roughly, A is east, B is west and C is south. I can't post links but a map is on the NRA website under Network Management/Our Road Network.

Advertisement