Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi 10" Atom based Medion Netbook

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Linkey doesn't work. That's one pricey laptop, even for the spec it has. You could get a 1000H and upgrade it yourself for a lot less money (320GB HDD - €80ish, 2GBs ram - €50ish).

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rinnin

Would be nice to have OS X on it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

OS X does work, but it's highly illegal to run, and I wouldn't recommend it from the reports I've read of others who have on the MSI Wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

sorry to interrupt thread like this, but what is best value for money netbook at the moment? ideally one with normal hd with a bit of space on it.... thanks.

I'd argue that the Advent 4211 is the best value with an 80GB HD in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I agree with jakkass.The advent is decent value at the moment but i still think these netbooks, in general are overpriced.The advent is the best value, but its still 380e.You can get a better specced laptop for the same price.I was considering one of these earlier in the week but i decided to get a laptop for the same price.I got one of these(The better one of those two, i might add) for 390e delivered.Well pleased with the price

I think netbooks like the advent should be no more than 300e.And why,i ask are they only available with xp.Why are'nt the manafacturers putting vista into them??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I think you're missing the point of what a netbook is supposed to be. These are not replacements for your main laptop. They are ultra portable machines that are very light, robust and great for travelling. They have weak processors, small screens and in many cases cramped keyboards.

They are not designed to be fulltime machines, more to compliment and do some work on the go.

As for why not vista? well vista requires lots of ram and works best with powerful processors. BOth items which netbooks are not well known for.

It's a shame they didn't produce Linux versions of the 4211 for a lower price, because I don't actually use the XP license that was with my machine at all.

Fair enough but if all their going to be used for internet and the such, surely a basic aspire one(About 250e) or a basic eee pc(Only 200e) would be better than paying twice the price for one that has Xp and a big HDD??

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Fair enough but if all their going to be used for internet and the such, surely a basic aspire one(About 250e) or a basic eee pc(Only 200e) would be better than paying twice the price for one that has Xp and a big HDD??

Ideally yes, the basic aspire or even the eee should work but with multimedia files so big, and web browsers etc requiring large memory footprints it doesn't work out that way (unfortunately) 512mb ram is quite a small amount these days. So these netbooks are becoming more sophisticated, bigger and more expensive, blurring the lines between netbook and laptop, leading to the situation where people are becoming confused about where these machines stand in comparison to normal laptops.

If you compare a decent spec netbook with a 15" regular laptop it doesn't come off well at all regarding value for money (as you rightly pointed out above). However if you compare a 399 netbook to an ultra portable laptop like this http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=57F9&CategorySelectedId=11105&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11105,50990000,4294952315, this http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4YWS&CategorySelectedId=11105&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11105,389170000, or this http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4YWR&CategorySelectedId=11105&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11105,389170000, then they come off much more favourably with regard to size & weight, even though they are much less powerful.

• Advertisement

Ideally yes, the basic aspire or even the eee should work but with multimedia files so big, and web browsers etc requiring large memory footprints it doesn't work out that way (unfortunately) 512mb ram is quite a small amount these days. So these netbooks are becoming more sophisticated, bigger and more expensive, blurring the lines between netbook and laptop, leading to the situation where people are becoming confused about where these machines stand in comparison to normal laptops.

If you compare a decent spec netbook with a 15" regular laptop it doesn't come off well at all regarding value for money (as you rightly pointed out above). However if you compare a 399 netbook to an ultra portable laptop like this http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=57F9&CategorySelectedId=11105&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11105,50990000,4294952315, this http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4YWS&CategorySelectedId=11105&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11105,389170000, or this http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4YWR&CategorySelectedId=11105&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11105,389170000, then they come off much more favourably with regard to size & weight, even though they are much less powerful.

They look great value compared to them alright.You'd want to be fairly well off to pay 2k for a Vaio with an 11" screen!!Someone here already mentioned they had an msi wind with 2gb RAM and vista ultimate installed.That would have cost ~500e, i believe.The only weakness that particular example has against that 2k vaio, is the atom processor.I dont think the better processor is worth 1500e more, though!!Those ultra portable laptops are surely now, totally obsolete!!I still think netbooks are overpriced, though....

Zonda999 wrote: »
    They look great value compared to them alright.You'd want to be fairly well off to pay 2k for a Vaio with an 11" screen!!Someone here already mentioned they had an msi wind with 2gb RAM and vista ultimate installed.That would have cost ~500e, i believe.The only weakness that particular example has against that 2k vaio, is the atom processor.I dont think the better processor is worth 1500e more, though!!Those ultra portable laptops are surely now, totally obsolete!!I still think netbooks are overpriced, though....

I have 2GB in mine. 1GB is soldered onto the motherboard, and there is 1 slot for an extra GB. I had some spare RAM DDR2-5300 and it worked perfectly.

As for Vista I tried Home Premium within the 30 day activation period, decided that Fedora would suit better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Jakkass wrote: »
    OS X does work, but it's highly illegal to run, and I wouldn't recommend it from the reports I've read of others who have on the MSI Wind.

its not highly illegal its a breach of apples T&C but no one is going to jail :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Anyone get this? Initial thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

for $1,140 http://www.techtickerblog.com/2008/09/04/asus-n10-is-a-powerful-expensive-netbook/

Kinda defeats the purpose of these cheap and cheerful machines

actually$850 which is around €600 not a bad price for those specs
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/08/asus-10-2-inch-n10-netbook-priced-at-849/
    :eek:

It kind of defeats the purpose if you are looking for something cheap and cheerful though such as the other netbooks that are currently out.

It kind of defeats the purpose if you are looking for something cheap and cheerful though such as the other netbooks that are currently out.

i disagree i reckon this is a good piece of kit for the price and willl compliment my gaming pc perfectly!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

I have to agree, same with every new version of the Asus eee-pc, they are getting away from the original vision of cheap, small, net pc.

ongarite wrote: »
    I have to agree, same with every new version of the Asus eee-pc, they are getting away from the original vision of cheap, small, net pc.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/09/eee-pc-1000h-price-plummets-to-449/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Just noticed that Dell have started shipping the Inspiron Mini 9 netbook at €399 delivered.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Nice find.

MC

The specs on the Dell are actually quite poor in comparison to others. Namely the 16GB hard disk when others for less have 80GB and 8.9 inch when others have 10.2.

The specs on the Dell are actually quite poor in comparison to others. Namely the 16GB hard disk when others for less have 80GB and 8.9 inch when others have 10.2.

And only a 4 cell battery.

The thing is, i think that 8.9" may be the sweet spot for netbook screens with regard to weight and portability. so that isn't too big an issue (it's the same resolution as a 10.2 anyway). Plus the 16gb hdd is ssd which means that this machine has no moving part. Something also appealing about the Dell is that it has no fan, hence no fan noise.

Having said all that I think the dell is crap value for what it is. It should be priced to compete with the Aspire One rather than the Wind and the EEE machines which are cheaper and better specced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Ubuntu have a new operating system version specially designed for Netbooks called Ubuntu Netbook Remix. It might be interesting to try out on this, there's some installation instructions on Ubuntu Launchpad.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Peter Walczak

carbsy wrote: »
    Anyone get this? Initial thoughts?

I got one last Friday. Had no issues so far. It seems to be exactly the small netbook it was supposed to be. Portable, light. Good screen for net browsing as well as to watch some movies. Runs different media players. Works well with the USB modem. The keyboard is actually quite comfortable. The only problem is the battery. It could use a larger one. 3 cells - in my case - is not enough. Anyway, I'm quite happy.

I got one last Friday. Had no issues so far. It seems to be exactly the small netbook it was supposed to be. Portable, light. Good screen for net browsing as well as to watch some movies. Runs different media players. Works well with the USB modem. The keyboard is actually quite comfortable. The only problem is the battery. It could use a larger one. 3 cells - in my case - is not enough. Anyway, I'm quite happy.

Thanks Peter.I ended up getting the EEE 1000 for 450 in the end as I wanted the 6 cell battery.Delighted with it so far.Getting a good 5 hours+ out of it with WIFI on etc.

Advertisement