Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi 10" Atom based Medion Netbook

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Acer Aspire One £199 (approx. €245) and Advent 4211 £279.99 (approx. €345) in PC World in the North...

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Yeah it's a rubbish processor compared to the core 2 duos but it's meant to be low powered, cheap processor ideal for these netbook which only run linux or xp. It's pretty good for that.

can hardly have core duo on a laptop ? specially a 10inch

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yes you can have core 2 duos in laptops. I was just pointing out that they aren't great when compared to something like the core 2s but for what they are intended for (low powered, low heat, cheap) they are quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

jonny72 wrote: »
    I thought the Atom was supposed to be awful.. barely able to run vista?

www.tomshardware.com I think was where I read it

Yeah but you dont really want vista anyway so its ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Surely not!!:eek::eek:
    I know that theres an acer available with the atom processor and thats about 300e so surely the aldi one would cost less.I am very tempted, though

XP and all!!

Remember the golden rule, just because it's Aldi/Lidl doesn't mean it's a bargain.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Remember the golden rule, just because it's Aldi/Lidl doesn't mean it's a bargain.:)

I dont think i'll be buying now.At 400e its far from a bargain IMO.I'd consider the advent at 380e but i think at that money a normal laptop would be a better buy

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ay, wont be buying this one, priced far too high for the spec. I might go out and have a look at the advent seeing that it's going for 379!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Ay, wont be buying this one, priced far too high for the spec. I might go out and have a look at the advent seeing that it's going for 379!

For an extra 20 quid you get a 36 month manufacturer’s warranty on the medion and i hear aldi are good with returns and stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭savemejebus

the aldi may be a lower specced machine though.

the aldi may be a lower specced machine though.

I only see one difference between the 2 machines the advent has bluetooth were as the aldi has a card reader

• Advertisement

Advent - 1.3mp webcam, bluetooth, wireless b/g (has a card reader too)
    Medion * - 0.3mp webcam, no bluetooth, wireless draft n.

* there are a couple of Medion Akoya mini models. One is exactly like the advent while the other is the less specced version with the differences i've pointed out above. Until we get info from a proper aldi brochure we won't know for sure which one is coming here.

Advent - 1.3mp webcam, bluetooth, wireless b/g (has a card reader too)
    Medion * - 0.3mp webcam, no bluetooth, wireless draft n.

* there are a couple of Medion Akoya mini models. One is exactly like the advent while the other is the less specced version with the differences i've pointed out above. Until we get info from a proper aldi brochure we won't know for sure which one is coming here.

K sorry i was looking at the specs on the pc world site which doesnt mention it has a card reader and doesnt say what mp the webcam is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Price confirmed on the website, now
    €399.99

Boardsies will be staying away in their droves! ;)

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Do-more wrote: »
    Price confirmed on the website, now
    €399.99

Boardsies will be staying away in their droves! ;)
    Jaysus, that's dear! Won't be recommending that to anyone.

i'd agree but i want to actually see the specs. A 3 year warranty and carrying case could be worth the extra 20 quid if the machine is the same specs of the advent.

Also i think aldi have dropped prices before selling stuff before when they find out others are selling similar or cheaper products

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

the acer aspire one is grand as long as
    1) You don't want to upgrade ram
    2) You don't need bluetooth
    3) You can live with the supposedly flimsy build quality

i have one and the build quality is quite good actually.
    Have seen it side by side with an eepc 1000h and it is also quite a good bit smaller than the eepc which means its more portable.
    Also the screen is excellent quality.

Only gripe with mine is it only has a 3 cell battery. Saw the same spec machine 3 weeks after i bought it for the same price but with a 6 cell battery.

where did you see it with the 6 cell battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭gerrykiddy

16 GB Intel® Atom™ Processor N270
    Intel® Atom™ Processor – a new series of very low power processors developed by Intel® especially for Mobile Internet Devices (MIDs) and for a new class of more affordable, smaller and fully functional computer systems built to provide fast, easy internet access. These ‘Netbooks’ are impressive thanks to their ease-of-use, portability, powerful wireless LAN functionality and long battery life.

Windows® XP Home Edition
    (incl. Service Pack 3)

10" TFT Widescreen Display
    1024 × 600 pixels

80GB SATA hard drive
    for more than 16,000 music tracks or photos**

1GB RAM

Fast WLAN Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g +
    Draft-n with up to 300 MBit/s.*

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950

Connectivity
    USB 2.0, Memory card reader and much more...

Integrated webcam

Connections

Multi-card reader for SD, MMC, Memory Stick
    3× USB 2.0
    1× VGA out
    1× network (RJ45)
    1× line out
    Also included

Li-ion battery and mains power adaptor
    Dimensions and Weight

Approx. 260 × 180 × 19/31.5mm
    Approx. 1.2kg incl. battery
    All the support you need
    36 month manufacturer’s warranty. MEDION offer a telephone support hotline charged at National Rates and a return to manufacturer service for repair.

For further details of this fantastic Netbook offer please visit http://www.medion.de/ms/aldi/md96910/uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Yep £279 in the UK (approx €345.........ah the great Irish ripoff continues)
    linky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I got one of the ones in PC World, Advent 4211. Well built and work well if you are looking for something portable. I got mine for €379, but persuaded them to throw a 4GB usb stick in free. They are all the same model (MSI Wind), theres a few differences in the Aldi one though, such as wireless n connectivity, but a worse webcam (0.3mp).

As for running Vista it runs rather smoothly after you add an extra GB of ram. The motherboard is also relatively easy access, just unscrew the back and there you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

JAMM222 wrote: »

aparently this thing comes with Vista and a 320GB HDD. Therefore I assume 2GB ram. The price may be in the 500(ish) region. They are getting closer and closer to the mainstream laptop model are they not ? The only thing missing from this now is DVD.
    They have released 8 - 10 models in the eeepc range in only 12 months or so. For me, it's getting a bit much. I know they are trying to add value but for god sakes. I feel now that as soon as I buy one of these, it will be out of date within a cpl of weeks.

maybe i'm being unreasonable, feel free to put me right.

edit: I may have got the price wrong, looks like this is going to be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

KStaford wrote: »
    aparently this thing comes with Vista and a 320GB HDD. Therefore I assume 2GB ram. The price may be in the 500(ish) region. They are getting closer and closer to the mainstream laptop model are they not ? The only thing missing from this now is DVD.
    They have released 8 - 10 models in the eeepc range in only 12 months or so. For me, it's getting a bit much. I know they are trying to add value but for god sakes. I feel now that as soon as I buy one of these, it will be out of date within a cpl of weeks.

maybe i'm being unreasonable, feel free to put me right.

Interesting..if thats true i would get one,whens it due out? is the graphics card good?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

Think its going to be released this month!

for $1,140 http://www.techtickerblog.com/2008/09/04/asus-n10-is-a-powerful-expensive-netbook/

Kinda defeats the purpose of these cheap and cheerful machines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

lafors wrote: »
    Yep £279 in the UK (approx €345.........ah the great Irish ripoff continues)
    linky

Give me a break, its 410 euro on the medion.de webshop.

Here its 398 ex shipping:
    http://azerty.nl/producten/product_detail/156/89544/medion-akoya-mini-e1210.html

Irish ripoff my hole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

I've a black MSI wind, upgraded the memory and the hard disk (2GB RAM, 160GB Hard disk) running Windows Vista Home Premium with a WEI of 2.7. It came with the 6 cell battery and a slip case. These things are great. Another guy in the office got the Acer, and it's considerably smaller than the MSI, and the screen on the Acer is one of those glass effect ones, whereas on the MSI it's an LED backlit screen that doesn't have the same effect.

Cheers

where did you get the msi with a 6 cell? (if you don't mind my asking)

Also, why vista?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Used EBay and it shipped from California. Vista, it runs very well, so why not?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I found Vista in terms of CPU usage was quite high on my machine however a Vlited install should work rather well actually. I'd recommend Home Basic if you were considering giving it a try. Otherwise the XP works very well. I'm using Fedora 9 at the minute, takes a while to get the wifi working but apart from that works very well.

Advertisement