Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity Hall (2008/2009)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 phizzy

not at all kiddo. come out tonight and meet more people that live here....give it time and i'm sure it will fall in place. if not, look me up, house 91!!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭YogiBoy

Jimdw wrote: »
    Am I alone?
    Well I am sure it is pretty much a mixed bag... some people would like some peace and quiet, and get too much going on in their kitchen, while others don't quite gel. That is the luck of the draw!

Seems on the whole very friendly to me. The obvious thing to do is get involved in JCR activities.... more daunting and less obvious, get in with a group of girls... they're more social!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

I live in the 84 apartment and I get very little interaction with other tenants in my apartment. I never speak to my roommates. I see people on kitchen in other apartments having a chat, that never happens in my apartment.
    Although outside in Trinity Hall and in College it's brilliant, I always talk to somebody.
    Am I alone?

I'm in a pretty similar situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I'm in the opposite, but I have sound isolating earphones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Jimdw

I'm in a pretty similar situation.

Thanks for the reply. Now I know there are people in same thing as me.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply. Now I know there are people in same thing as me.

Ain't no thing. Its early days...cheer up!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭quirkster

i was really lucky with the housemates in the apartment oppoisite mine. me and another guy in my apartment just clicked straight away with them and now we've a proper little group going, including this yank from the other side of the campus that none of us can figure out how he joined us...

anyway get involved in as much as you can.

like if you play on soccer sundays or go to the poker or film nights, your bound to meet some people and get chatting to them dude!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭CaramelBear

I live in the 84 apartment and I get very little interaction with other tenants in my apartment. I never speak to my roommates. I see people on kitchen in other apartments having a chat, that never happens in my apartment.
    Although outside in Trinity Hall and in College it's brilliant, I always talk to somebody.
    Am I alone?

Nope. I know people who are still only just beginning to befriend their flatmates. Mine are the best I could've asked for. Social butterflies and thru them I know so many more people. And oh yeah, the parties are never ending :D
    Pop into house 87 anytime!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Slavo my buddy. :D

Pop over to 83.06 for a cup of tea. We can study some biochemistry as well. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Stop encouraging people into 83, who are you btw? Since I live like two floors above you.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Dan the man. Hows tricks? :eek:

Come on the house 83. Im aaron by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭WaldenByThoreua

Excellent, moving into Halls on the 5th Jan..cant wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

LenovoUser wrote: »
    He should have made that clear , as it does look to a newcomer like me as if he was shouting the most abhorrent abuse at Trinity Hall, which is totally out of order . What would an outsider, e.g., a journalist think ? That's what matters, that's vital

It was clear to everyone except you. I'm confident a journalist would have the cop on to put something that is said into context
    LenovoUser wrote: »
    He does and says weird things, though he never seems to mean them .

Joke: a triviality not to be taken seriously

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&rlz=1C1GGLS_enIE291IE303&q=define:joke&btnG=Search&meta=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭LenovoUser

Mark200 wrote: »
    It was clear to everyone except you. I'm confident a journalist would have the cop on to put something like that in context.

Joke: a triviality not to be taken seriously

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&rlz=1C1GGLS_enIE291IE303&q=define:joke&btnG=Search&meta=
    Some, stuck for a story, might ! However, on re-examinaton I see the interpretation you suggest as the more probable one, yet it is borderline. Perhaps I am seeing something that is not there. In any case nobody of the general public is going to take such a wild-eyed allegation seriously, so he is off the hook on that. :D

I can't see that he has done anything else specifically wrong, though his general attitude is admittedly. lax. Thus I am sorry to hear from you that his ban may be permanent, Again I am happy to note that you consider his behaviour in a Joke context, thus not to be taken seriously. I think his ban may be lifted, that it depends on his attitude in future ? :rolleyes:

Up to the mod concerned, I guess . Thanks for putting things in perspective for me.

oh to go back to the start of this year all over again :(

WHATTTT YEARR IN HALLS!im getting nostalgic already thinking of it.
    do we all know each other at this stage??>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭REPSOC1916

I know I might get crucified for expressing this opinion but frankly I can't wait to get out of this ****-hole. I'm fed up of having to put up with endless sleepless nights from the noise of the drunken assholes in the courtyard, the stench of bile and vomit, the filth, the crappy launderette, those idiotic mugwumps: the wardens (there always there to break up the smallest and most innocent house party but rarely there when a flats being robbed by some scumbag), the D4 fake plastic bitches, the prohibition against smoking, the retarded rent-a-cops nurturing their fat arses on their seats in reception. The whole ****ing nausea of it in summary.

Well on the other hand I had some very good and reliable room-mates. Journey was difficult but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I didn't want to be the one to say it...

I is very surprised to hear that...I havnt had any of those problems....never ever smelt the vomit...maybe one or two house partys broken up but after all arent they against the rules anyway?Whats wrong with the laundrette?
    I had no complaints with my clothes after it. Whats youre problem with the rules on smoking?

The D4 fake plastic bitches? What do you expect when you go to college in Dublin? Have you talked to any of them? Was each and every one of them a 'bitch' to you? I doubt you even bothered trying. Dont be so judgemental dude!

Why are the rent a cops retards??If you were one of them, would you rather stand for your entire shift in the reception than sit?

ya big moaner

Found halls to be a varied experience, but ultimately I would have to say that it is what you make it. Wouldn't recommend a second year there, however.

Found halls to be a varied experience, but ultimately I would have to say that it is what you make it. Wouldn't recommend a second year there, however.

Ya thats very true, the more you involve yourself, and the more you push yourself to meet new people, the more enjoyment youll get out of the place. I was considering applying for next year but didnt on the basis that I just cant see it being the same craic cos we'll be old and wrinkly 2nd years, missing out on the atmosphere and general 1st year banter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

It's definitely not as much fun in second year.

quirkster wrote: »
    I is very surprised to hear that...I havnt had any of those problems....never ever smelt the vomit...maybe one or two house partys broken up but after all arent they against the rules anyway?Whats wrong with the laundrette?
    I had no complaints with my clothes after it. Whats youre problem with the rules on smoking?

The D4 fake plastic bitches? What do you expect when you go to college in Dublin? Have you talked to any of them? Was each and every one of them a 'bitch' to you? I doubt you even bothered trying. Dont be so judgemental dude!

Why are the rent a cops retards??If you were one of them, would you rather stand for your entire shift in the reception than sit?

ya big moaner

OK sorry for the teensy-weeny bit of exaggeration. Was just reading a little L.F. Celine. However to be honest my opinion of the place still stands. In reply:
    1) The launderette is ****ty. The dryer is absolutley useless (have to run it twice to get my clothes half-dry) and both it and the washing machine have often just taken my change.
    2)"D4 Fake Plastic Bitches": OK some of them can be hilarious but still they are still bloody annoying.
    3)It's probably my own personal experience, but whenever I attend a house party the wardens nearly always seem to turn up.
    4)Those guards are morose and terrible. I assume you remember that robbery which took place one or two months ago. Apparently the chap was nabbed by the Gardai not those useless "cops-for-hire" who's services we pay for; thanks to the steep rent we're forced to cough up. Also whenever I have to deal with them( usually a lost keycard) they seem so ****ing gruff about it.
    5)"Vomit and Bile" - I'll conceed on that one. The only time one would ever sense that would probably be during Freshers Week.
    6)For christ sake. Legally Halls is a private residence. We should be allowed to smoke in our rooms. Limerick allows it. Same with Galway. Doesn't really matter to me though. I smoke in the kitchen anyway. None of my roommates have ever complained so long as I smoke near the window.
    7)Im living in House 90 facing out to the courtyard. One can infer that your room faces onto leafy, quiet Dartry Road ergo you don't have the problem of being awoken at night. To be honest I wouldn't really have minded except I had 9 a.m. lectures every day for the first two terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

REPSOC1916 wrote: »
    4)Those guards are morose and terrible. I assume you remember that robbery which took place one or two months ago. Apparently the chap was nabbed by the Gardai not those useless "cops-for-hire" who's services we pay for; thanks to the steep rent we're forced to cough up. Also whenever I have to deal with them( usually a lost keycard) they seem so ****ing gruff about it.

They are not 'rent-a-cops', they are residential attendants. They are not insured as security in the sense they are not allowed, as part of their job to physically restrain anyone. Policy dictates that in an incident where a crime has been comitted then the gardai are to be called.

On a more practical note, the RSAs do not carry any sort of weapon or self defense device? What happens if someone i carrying a knife? Or some other form of weapon? Such incidents have happened in the past.

The RSA are there to protect the premises and you, however there are limits to what they can do in this duty. Showing them a little respect goes a long way I find.

6)For christ sake. Legally Halls is a private residence. We should be allowed to smoke in our rooms. Limerick allows it. Same with Galway. Doesn't really matter to me though. I smoke in the kitchen anyway. None of my roommates have ever complained so long as I smoke near the window.

Halls is AFAIK not actually a private residence. It is owned by TCD and hence has to follow certainlegal procedures such as the fire safety talk and so on. As I am sure you are aware, halls operates on a license to reside basis and not a standard tenant landlord agreement. The main reason for not allowing smoking (apart from irritating other residents) is to prevent false activation of the alarm system, and ensure confidence in the system is as high as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

"1) The launderette is ****ty. The dryer is absolutley useless (have to run it twice to get my clothes half-dry) and both it and the washing machine have often just taken my change.2

No drier in the world is going to get your clothes dry in one session, especially if you've jeans in there. If the machine takes your money, go to reception - there's a list there of money taken and from who, and you'll get your money back when they come to collect the takings.
    If you're not bothered with that because it's only a euro or two then don't complain about it.

"3)It's probably my own personal experience, but whenever I attend a house party the wardens nearly always seem to turn up."

Plain and simple, house parties are against the rules. Even small and innocent ones. (Which, by the way, I doubt they are if they're getting broken up - how is a warden going to know there's a party on unless you draw attention to it?)

"6)For christ sake. Legally Halls is a private residence. We should be allowed to smoke in our rooms. Limerick allows it. Same with Galway. Doesn't really matter to me though. I smoke in the kitchen anyway. None of my roommates have ever complained so long as I smoke near the window."

Halls is most certainly not a private residence. You're staying there on the invitation of the warden. If you don't like it, then you can leave and live in an actual private residence. And it is quite selfish of you to smoke inside when, I'm assuming, your apartmentmates don't smoke. Even if you smoke by the window, it still makes the place smell. Maybe your apartmentmates are trying to be nice by not saying it to you?
    It really should not be an issue though - it takes about 30 seconds/1 minute to go downstairs, and you are not allowed smoke inside. Stop inflicting your smoke on them (I smoke and I lived in halls for 2 years). Also, to reiterate what Dan719 said - with such a large amount of people in one small space, it is imperative that the fire alarm system works correctly and people know it's not just a false alarm.

"the retarded rent-a-cops nurturing their fat arses on their seats in reception."
    "4)Those guards are morose and terrible. I assume you remember that robbery which took place one or two months ago. Apparently the chap was nabbed by the Gardai not those useless "cops-for-hire" who's services we pay for; thanks to the steep rent we're forced to cough up. Also whenever I have to deal with them( usually a lost keycard) they seem so ****ing gruff about it."

There is absolutely no need to be so rude about them. One or two are quite gruff, but even with that, the majority of them - if you treat them with respect - are good guys. They're there to protect you. Also, back to you being woken up by "drunken assholes in the courtyard." You can call reception and ask them to walk over to break up the congregation of people. That's pretty much your only option because.. it's student residences - people are going to drink and have fun. There'll be a crack down on noise over exam time.
    If you don't want to call reception then don't bitch about it.

I'd like to throw in here to people asking about second year - don't go back for the second year. You'll be kinda out of the loop, you'll have more college work so it won't be as fun, and the strict rules can get frustrating.

Jean wrote: »
    "1) And it is quite selfish of you to smoke inside when, I'm assuming, your apartmentmates don't smoke. Even if you smoke by the window, it still makes the place smell. Maybe your apartmentmates are trying to be nice by not saying it to you?
    It really should not be an issue though - it takes about 30 seconds/1 minute to go downstairs, and you are not allowed smoke inside. Stop inflicting your smoke on them (I smoke and I lived in halls for 2 years). Also, to reiterate what Dan719 said - with such a large amount of people in one small space, it is imperative that the fire alarm system works correctly and people know it's not just a false alarm.

One of my roommates smokes (he does it in the kitchen as well). Also if one of my roommates had an issue with any sort of behaviour they didn't like (e.g. leaving the kitchen in a mess) they would raise it immediately. The only thing they mentioned to me was not to smoke when one of them was eating which I have no problems complying with. This was the case with a person who stayed with us during Michaelmas term but has now left. The chap was extremely messy. He wouldn't tidy up in the kitchen and he started to leave a cardboard box out in the hall which he'd use to dump his food if he was eating in his room. We raised the matter with him and told him to stop it or we'd report him.

Also those smoke detectors are actually heat sensors.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭JohnnyDoogue

I found discipline in Halls a bit too much. After all we should not have to be "taken care" off. People go to college for one to gain a sense of freedom and maturity. I enjoyed the experience in 1st year and saw Brendan once or twice for the silliest offences. I reapplied and never got it but to be completely honest I am glad. Its a great place to meet people in 1st yeat but after that I wouldn't advise it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I've never been in Halls before but going into 4th year now. I applied for both Rathmines and on the College grounds... Is there any chance of me getting in? I'm really regretting applying for Trinity Halls now, would have been grand in 1st or 2nd year but not 4th year!

Whats living on campus like? Anyone want to share their experience here?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 abbevilleson

If u apply for a single room and there aren't any available are you automatically added to the shared list??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 haveyoumetted

Does anyone know if there is any on campus accomadation for second round offers? Any help is really appreciated :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Darksider

Does anyone know if there is any on campus accomadation for second round offers? Any help is really appreciated :)

do you have a disability? for first year i think they only give on campus to people with disabilities or scholars

Advertisement