Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steroids in PSNI?? allowed?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 billybob007

you see that is exactly my point inspector, you have been caught up in the stigma too much! how is it cheating if it is not illiegal to use and has minimum side affects and may actually have none, ie. anavar. NOTE: not anadrol and the like, for example you say it is cheating what is the difference between that and taking creatine, is that cheating, it has side affects, and its performance enhancing..... what is the difference? and especially if your not competing in any sports, which is when i would agree with you that it is cheating. get over the stigma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 regtgunner

During my time in the forces I knew several lads who were on roids. They tried several variations, from dianabol for bulking up fast to the mild ones like anavar.
    They said anavar was very effective with no side effects at all, even with higher dosages and gave them hard muscle gains that they didn't lose when they stopped taking it.
    Also anavar is prescribed to burns victims and HIV patients in order to stop muscle wastage and help to rebuild muscles.
    I assume that there has got to be some police officers who use them but it's a risk when your in that type of job. It's down to each individual if they think it's worth the risk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭JVB

jim2008 wrote: »
    Why he would consider taking steroids is really his own business.He did ask a good question as i know a police officer who does take steroids so would be interesting to find out if you could lose your job over it?

You're right, it is his own business; but asking such a question on a discussion board for potential police officers is bound to start a debate.

But then if I ask him why he would consider taking them is really my own business too :rolleyes: Realistically, that's having an opinion about my opinion. Not that I really mind ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭JVB

... Now i refer to mens health... bear with me... look at the fella on the front, as im sure you all do, then go inside and look at what his training is, and what he eats, i train more than that and eat as healthy.... and trust me they wouldnt let me near a cover of tv times never mind mens health. I would say that the majority of those cover models have taken steroids not to gain weight but to cut up and for muscle hardness. ie. different types of steroids, they are not all for getting MASSIVE.

... JVB and all the rest shouting 'DONT TAKE THEM' if you could explain your supporting evidence behind this and what experience you have had and what training you do urselves. thanks

billybob

Billybob. I personally know one of last year’s finalists for the Mens Health Cover Model competition (he made the last 12) and he doesn't take steroids. I promise you. Preparing for such an event is gruelling and it takes 100% commitment with knowledge of far more than basic nutrition required. Something I could never achieve because a) I too will never have the body for that due to my weakness for chinese and alcohol :eek:and b) I don't have the face either :P

I do train 4-5 times per week but my biggest problem is consistency. I get to a point where I am seeing real improvements and then work duffs up my routine or I head off on holiday etc. There will always be somebody in the gym with a better physique than you. This is life. And they probably don't have one :D

The reason I would not recommend taking steroids is simply because you don't need them. Any professional person within the health industry would advise against them too. Now I say the health industry and not body building because you yourself said you weren't considering taking them for body building purposes. People got big long before steroids came along. And there are 'clean' body building contests held for those who are anti-steroids. These guys are a living examples that good training and good nutrition works.

However, I do accept that steroids do have a stigma attached and are deemed socially unacceptable because of such. But it is your body at the end of the day. I just feel morally obligated to voice my concerns about them.

I think that psni would be best served answering your original question as he is a serving officer and may know the current regulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

you see that is exactly my point inspector, you have been caught up in the stigma too much! how is it cheating if it is not illiegal to use and has minimum side affects and may actually have none, ie. anavar. NOTE: not anadrol and the like, for example you say it is cheating what is the difference between that and taking creatine, is that cheating, it has side affects, and its performance enhancing..... what is the difference? and especially if your not competing in any sports, which is when i would agree with you that it is cheating. get over the stigma.

Creatine is found naturally in alot of foods, and is essential for life, without it you would not be able to move, so to compare taking creatine supplements to taking anabolic steroids is stupidity.

Drugs alter your bodies natural hormone production and send it places it isnt intended to go, it also can shut down or slow down your natural testosterone production which means once you come off the drugs you may lose some testosterone production.

I agree with you in some respects, the side effects of steroid use is hyped up too much, but still, you dont know for sure what you are putting into yourself or how you might react to it.

I been training for 5 years drug free, and I know guys who do take drugs and Im still stronger and have got a much better set of abs. it all comes down to how much effort you put in.

if someone takes drugs that entirely their choice, as a police officer, its not a good thing to get caught up in or be involved with. Like others have said, you dont seem to have any reason to take it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Zzoop

Ok, now that we're clear where we stand with steriods.. I'd like to know if hemorroids are allowed in the PSNI?

Ba dum dum tish.

Sorry. Pointless comment. Ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

you're a right pain in the A$$ arent you??

Ba dum dum dah!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Zzoop

LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

Cover me with cheese cause im a cracker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

ahh go on billybob do it. u no u want. no one here will judge u. honestly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Maura2145

Penis Eye wrote: »
    ahh go on billybob do it. u no u want. no one here will judge u. honestly.

Lol! :) definitely not. no judgements made on this forum ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

Maura2145 wrote: »
    Lol! :) definitely not. no judgements made on this forum ever!

what gives you the right to say that. how dare you! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kris777

JVB wrote: »
    Google is just the best. The following is an extract from www.talktofrank.com/drugs.aspx?id=170

Anabolic steroids are Class C drugs to be sold only by pharmacists with a doctor's prescription. It's legal to possess or import steroids as long as they're for personal use. But possession or importing with intent to supply (which includes giving them to friends) is illegal and could lead to 14 years in prison and an unlimited fine.

So they are not illegal if for personal use. However, I would imagine they are not allowed to be used by personnel serving in the police. Look at the risks on the Frank website and it should be fairly self explanatory.

Finally sombody talking a little bit of sense appose to others writing up opinions. Spot on the money mate as far as law goes. Theres a difference in steroid use... and steroid abuse.. im sure half the guys who commented on the side affects and harmfull possibilities it could have smoke or drink alcohol.. same difference really.. but well not get into that.
    On same note.. if its a grey area id be inclined to give it a miss on throughout ur application and testing process

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

Class C Schedule II substance - it is legal for possession and use provided that it is pharmaceutical grade. Most guys are taking underground laboratory stuff, which is not legal for possession.

To test all applicants for hormone panels / AAS would cost a fortune and a lot of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭J.0

Sthm wrote: »
    Class C Schedule II substance - it is legal for possession and use provided that it is pharmaceutical grade. Most guys are taking underground laboratory stuff, which is not legal for possession.

To test all applicants for hormone panels / AAS would cost a fortune and a lot of time.

PSNI are requesting a six month drug screen and will more than likely cover steroids in my opinion. Anything that is likely to impair or affect your ability/temperament is a no-no for any safety related role, especially those involving the use of firearms.

J.0 wrote: »
    PSNI are requesting a six month drug screen and will more than likely cover steroids in my opinion. Anything that is likely to impair or affect your ability/temperament is a no-no for any safety related role, especially those involving the use of firearms.

The likelihood of testing for performance enhancing drugs is slim to none. Narcotics and some drugs athletes take closely linked to amphetamines, yes.

It's far too expensive to test everyone for something that isn't even illegal.

I'm sorry but I don't agree at all with that point. Drugs testing is not expensive in the slightest compared to what it was 10 years ago. A home testing kit for most amphetamines can be picked up for next to nothing. The Armed forces test on a regular basis for the full spectrum of drugs, as do other armed units - why should the PSNI or its recruitment procedures be any different?

I'm sorry but I don't agree at all with that point. Drugs testing is not expensive in the slightest compared to what it was 10 years ago. A home testing kit for most amphetamines can be picked up for next to nothing. The Armed forces test on a regular basis for the full spectrum of drugs, as do other armed units - why should the PSNI or its recruitment procedures be any different?

Testing for metabolites of PEDs is expensive. Testing for illegal recreational drugs is not expensive.

The armed forces do not carry out routine bloods for PEDs. Random testing on someone suspected of using and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

They will ask you at the medical if you have been taking x, y or z anyway so you would be best to bring it to their attention at that stage.

I was of the opinion that it was a three month test not six, I stand to be corrected but in either case it doesn't affect me in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

They are taking a sample of hair. Why do you thing this is ?

• Advertisement

Class C Schedule II are not legal for possession or use by just anyone. They are controlled drugs and can only be lawfully obtained through prescription. If you have been prescribed them, then it is explainable, if not, start considering another career or reapply after 6 months of being clean.

PSNI are requesting "2 samples of hair of 3cm in length and containing at least 50 -100 strands of hair per sample". This covers a 6 month period for testing purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

They even ask if you have been near any drug users. So be careful who you party with.

Class C Schedule II are not legal for possession or use by just anyone. They are controlled drugs and can only be lawfully obtained through prescription. If you have been prescribed them, then it is explainable, if not, start considering another career or reapply after 6 months of being clean.

PSNI are requesting "2 samples of hair of 3cm in length and containing at least 50 -100 strands of hair per sample". This covers a 6 month period for testing purposes.

You're missing the point and don't seem to understand the legality. You can import for personal use into the UK, without a prescription, from different countries where they are legal over the counter. It is legal to possess same. I'm sorry, but this is a fact that isn't up for debate.

And I'm only posting this to clear up the legality on it. I do not use PEDs or have any interest bar clearing up the misconceptions here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Bob Law

Interesting reading some of the opinions here.

I've a lot of friends in the bodybuilding scene and a lot more in the strongman scene. Both involve a lot of steriod use and frankly, if you want to be bigger and stronger than everyone else, use steriods. Highly unlikely you're born genetically gifted to reach the level of ELITE (edited out the word professional, you can just enjoy the sport without it being your job) without them.

I know doctors on gear who compete as bodybuilders and they don't have a bad word to say about it when they're used safely (I am fully aware of their biasis)

As for testing, it does cost a fortune to test for steriods (A sample test of 10 male / female competitors will run you around £4/5K). [Source: I know people in the UK Weightlifting Committee]

Creatine, Fish Oil, ZMA, Multivitamin and Protein Powders & LOTS OF FOOD wil get your very far before you need gear.

I've no plans to use them myself but once you hit your mid/late 30s and want to maintain a high level of test then serioids are a useful tool.

I'd say a bigger concern would be pre-workout stuff like Jack2d, Craze, Tier1, Haemorage etc as you can fail a test for stims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭biker701

Bob Law wrote: »
    Interesting reading some of the opinions here.

I've a lot of friends in the bodybuilding scene and a lot more in the strongman scene. Both involve a lot of steriod use and frankly, if you want to be bigger and stronger than everyone else, use steriods. Highly unlikely you're born genetically gifted to reach the level of ELITE (edited out the word professional, you can just enjoy the sport without it being your job) without them.

I know doctors on gear who compete as bodybuilders and they don't have a bad word to say about it when they're used safely (I am fully aware of their biasis)

As for testing, it does cost a fortune to test for steriods (A sample test of 10 male / female competitors will run you around £4/5K). [Source: I know people in the UK Weightlifting Committee]

Creatine, Fish Oil, ZMA, Multivitamin and Protein Powders & LOTS OF FOOD wil get your very far before you need gear.

I've no plans to use them myself but once you hit your mid/late 30s and want to maintain a high level of test then serioids are a useful tool.

I'd say a bigger concern would be pre-workout stuff like Jack2d, Craze, Tier1, Haemorage etc as you can fail a test for stims.
    Pardon my naivety, but why would stimulants like those you mentioned be a bigger issue than Steroids? [clueless about all of it so just curious]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Bob Law

Mainly because it's very easy for someone to take this stuff without realising it's similar to a class A/class B amphetamine.

You can walk into a supp shop and get legally buy a tub of craze for £35 which will give you one hell of a workout, but could register a fail on a standard tox test. More and more of these products are being reduced in strength or banned.

In short, stims are more of a problem because people are taking this stuff without realising. I knowingly take it as it helps me no end and it's not banned in the competitions I enter. However, I've ceased all use as I'm not taking a risk with a tox screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭CallTheCobra

Hi, new to the forum and find this quite an interesting debate. I think pre trainings pose a risk as they could show up on the recreational drugs test as amphetamines. We have seen how some pre trainings have come under scrutiny, Craze for example.
    As for the PSNI testing for anabolic steroids, I can't see it! Too expensive too test every recruit for steroid use. Steroid testing requires a different test as to that for recreational drugs. Also when have you ever read of a PSNI officer being suspended or dismissed over steroid 'use'? There has however been a number of cases across the water... http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/merseyside-police-officer-suspended-after-6287836

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/steroid-taking-police-sgt-fight-job-1402175

The case above is quite interesting in that the Officer was found not guilty by the courts but still was dismissed by the force. Personal use is not against the law if it is in the form of a medicinal product with a prescription. However possession with intent to supply is against the law. An issue may also arise in relation to the means in which Officers obtain their steroids....
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21154316

I also found this article online which states that anabolic steroids are not included; see page 23.
    http://www.acpo.police.uk/documents/workforce/2009/200911WDSMT01.pdf

It's quite a grey area, I think the only way of knowing whether or not for sure the PSNI tests for anabolic steroids would be through a freedom of information request, unless of course anyone can shed any further light on the matter?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Question for somebody in the know- say for example you have been working in a social housing development and in one of the apartments you were working in someone was clearly smoking the reefer, what are the chances of this being in your system if you had been there for 10-15minutes?

Advertisement