Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steroids in PSNI?? allowed?

Options
  • 30-08-2008 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi, can anyone clarify the situation on steroids in the police, steroids are not illegal to use personally, so can they be used while in the psni, and will the drug tests pick them up or do they test for just recreational drugs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Ethan321

Why do you use steroids? Are you a keen weight trainer?
    My advice would be to forget about the steroids while you are in training, the emphasis is on cardio, i would say drop the steroids and get out and run some if you are concentrating only on weights. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

I dont think they will test for steroid use, not many people take them. I dont think they would be too happy about you having them though.. they are illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

If it is steroids for weight training,then you are being incredibly foolish.Really really foolish.Just eat big and lift big etc etc.However if you need them for some valid medical reason,I'm sure the PSNI would allow it so long as you provide a doctors cert stating why you need them.

Again,why you may wish to use steroids for weight lifting is truly beyond me. . . .

if you needed them for a medical reason, chances are you would not have passed the medical.

If you plan on bringing steroids into garnerville, just make sure you dont get caught, i would be pretty confident it would be the end of your career if you were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

is it a pee test or do they take blood. i hate needles. one thing that makes a big boy like me cry haha

• Advertisement

Far as Im aware its a hair sample

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

Hi, can anyone clarify the situation on steroids in the police, steroids are not illegal to use personally, so can they be used while in the psni, and will the drug tests pick them up or do they test for just recreational drugs?

Only muppets use steroids.
    Just get out there and do it naturally. The way (your) God and nature intended

i If you plan on bringing steroids into garnerville, just make sure you dont get caught, i would be pretty confident it would be the end of your career if you were.
    Don't encourage it!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

well it has to be the bad cop side talking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭JVB

billybob. Please do me the favour of explaining why you take steroids. I recruit for the armed forces and steroids are not allowed whilst applying or when serving. I'll reserve judgement until you can give some more info to your situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 billybob007

hi, thanks for reply, i dont take steroids, i train hard and am healthy, also ex marine. i would just like to know about this because i cant find if they are allowed or not, or wat exactly the drugs test actually test for! i never got tested in marines, but know a lot of guys taking the stuff.

If i was gonna take any it would be a mild form of steroid anyway, and im still undecided if i will go down this path.

cheers.

all this chat and advice is great, really appreciate it. but can anyone answer the original thread? someone got close but didnt know for sure.

Being an ex marine you should be more than aware of the implications that surround steroids in the forces (and police for that matter.) I don't understand why you would consider taking them. You say you are fit and healthy, so why risk organ failure, violent behaviour and a small weener (sort of organ failure really!)
    Seriously mate, don't do them. Short term gain is long term pain.

Copied from the Consensia website:

'Police Service of Northern Ireland - Substance Misuse Policy

Police Officers are involved in many high-risk activities and have high levels of contact and interaction with the public. As an employer PSNI is required to provide a safe working environment and safe systems of working for both employees and those who are not in their employment but with whom they come into contact. This includes ensuring that staff are fit to carry out their duties safely and effectively.

Given the growing problem with substance misuse within our society, PSNI recognise that this is a culture that has the potential to impact upon PSNI as an organisation. Misuse of any substance impairs judgement, slows reactions and increases the potential for risk of injury to staff and others. In addition the use of illicit substances provides increased opportunities for compromise through either coercion or inducement, leaving staff and PSNI vulnerable and bringing into question the integrity of individuals.

As a result PSNI is introducing a substance misuse policy which includes testing of biological material for history of use of substances listed under the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971. Therefore, all successful applicants will be required to undergo a drug-screening test prior to being offered an appointment as a police trainee with PSNI. The biological material to be sampled as part of the pre-appointment process will usually be hair. Those who return a positive result will not be offered an appointment with the PSNI. This will not prevent applicants from applying for future recruitment programmes for PSNI when advertised.

Full details of the testing requirements and procedure will be provided to successful applicants prior to the test being carried out.'

It doesn't specify steroids or any other drugs individually, but are steroids not illegal?

Google is just the best. The following is an extract from www.talktofrank.com/drugs.aspx?id=170

Anabolic steroids are Class C drugs to be sold only by pharmacists with a doctor's prescription. It's legal to possess or import steroids as long as they're for personal use. But possession or importing with intent to supply (which includes giving them to friends) is illegal and could lead to 14 years in prison and an unlimited fine.

So they are not illegal if for personal use. However, I would imagine they are not allowed to be used by personnel serving in the police. Look at the risks on the Frank website and it should be fairly self explanatory.

If you dont already use them, dont start, at least not whilst in training, I think 21 weeks without them wont be too hard.

My advice would be not to take them, you dont know how you might react to it or how it has been tested, most of these muscle enhancing drugs are imported from countries where laws are non existant.

Get caught with it and I was bet my life on it you will be out of a job.

yeah thats the issue, they are not illegal for personal use, so how can they fire you. Im sure there is an appeal in there that they would lose. Anyway I wouldnt be taking them to get through garnerville as im nearly finished, and the PE has to accommodate girls, so most fellas shouldnt have an issue. You look at side affects of these drugs, there a re alot of different types out there, the big boy drugs have lots of side affects but there are also ones with a lot fewer side affects and offer different benefits. Eg. look at a steroid called anavar, compared to anadrol and testosterone, with t3. big differences.

Who knows....!

Unless you are already an amazing athlete and are trying to break a world record or you are going to become a professional bodybuilder then why do you need to use steroids?

But my question still stands, 'why would you consider taking them?' I mean, if you're not into pro bodybuilding, what's wrong with a hard training programme, a controlled diet and maybe some high street supplements i.e whey protein etc? What are you hoping for with steroids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭jim2008

JVB wrote: »
    But my question still stands, 'why would you consider taking them?' I mean, if you're not into pro bodybuilding, what's wrong with a hard training programme, a controlled diet and maybe some high street supplements i.e whey protein etc? What are you hoping for with steroids?
    Why he would consider taking steroids is really his own business.He did ask a good question as i know a police officer who does take steroids so would be interesting to find out if you could lose your job over it?

• Advertisement

Jim, i like your style. i suppoose its no ones business if i want to try these. But let me say, i think there is such a stigma attached to steroids the majority of people would not even think about touching them. But with a little research you can see that all are not so bad, and i refer to anavar particualrly, they dont retain water, they dont aromatise so you dont need anti estrogen, they are a mild steroid, and a mild anabolic. they dont give you massive weight gain but more muscle hardness and strength. If they are not illegal and if you take them and have no side affects why not..... think about it why not, because of the stigma??

Also i hear the chants - healthy diet, good training program blah blah. Im very fit, and eat well, especially at g'ville, my training program is good, on whey protein, but you can only do so much. If you want serious gains you need supplements slightly stronger than whey protein and creatine.

Now i refer to mens health... bear with me... look at the fella on the front, as im sure you all do, then go inside and look at what his training is, and what he eats, i train more than that and eat as healthy.... and trust me they wouldnt let me near a cover of tv times never mind mens health. I would say that the majority of those cover models have taken steroids not to gain weight but to cut up and for muscle hardness. ie. different types of steroids, they are not all for getting MASSIVE.

My thinking is.. why try a mild form and see what results you get, now whats wrong with that, as long as you stay disciplined and not start stacking and taking massive doses. any side affects stop, i dont think your little winky pinky will shrivel up the second a pill hits ur lips.

anyway thats my thinking, JVB and all the rest shouting 'DONT TAKE THEM' if you could explain your supporting evidence behind this and what experience you have had and what training you do urselves. thanks

billybob

Well,I am on a split day training weights program(1 day upper,1 day lower body).I also eat a high calorie diet w/ lots of protein and carbs,with some fats.I also use Maximuscle Progain.I am currently on a weight gain/bulk up training program.However I do not use drugs to enhance my performance and results.

Gains you make with steroids aren't permanent I am told.Also,I believe it is much better for your body and mind to train your body without the use of performance drugs.

As regards it being none of our business as to whether or not,and why you use steroids . . . if you don't want to be asked,then don't go posting on a public forum stating that you want to know whether you can use performance enhancing drugs in a police training college!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

eroo wrote: »
    As regards it being none of our business as to whether or not,and why you use steroids . . . if you don't want to be asked,then don't go posting on a public forum stating that you want to know whether you can use performance enhancing drugs in a police training college!!

Very good! What he said!

If im asking if steroids are allowed in psni, it doesnt warrant anyone asking if im taking them does it...? so mr eroooo chillax.

If im asking if steroids are allowed in psni, it doesnt warrant anyone asking if im taking them does it...? so mr eroooo chillax.

Well taking performance enhancing drugs that you could be jailed for if you are deemed to be selling,well . . I just think that is a little risky for an aspiring PSNI officer or any police officer.;)

Btw,I am always relaxed.I have had enough 'chill' from the weather this so-called summer!:D

i honestly believe if it isnt illegal and you dont abuse it, then i dont see the issue, i havent taken them before and i dont know if i will, but i would like to see how dramatic the effects are on a milder anabolic. Go to steroid.com and look at effectiveness chart http://www.steroid.com/effect.php

i honestly believe if it isnt illegal and you dont abuse it, then i dont see the issue, i havent taken them before and i dont know if i will, but i would like to see how dramatic the effects are on a milder anabolic. Go to steroid.com and look at effectiveness chart http://www.steroid.com/effect.php

Like anything in the weightlifting/fitness world . . . what may work for someone else,may not work for you!

so you would never consider trying yourself sometime. If i ever do try ill give you an honest appraisal of how they affected me.

so you would never consider trying yourself sometime. If i ever do try ill give you an honest appraisal of how they affected me.

No.Never.I train hard and match it with nutrition,I don't need much else except the determination to continue and reach my goals!

I'd still advise you not to try!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭inspector71

But let me say, i think there is such a stigma attached to steroids the majority of people would not even think about touching them.

billybob

Yeah there is a stigma attached, it's cheating.

Advertisement