Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Dwarf is coming back in 2009 (apparently)!

Options
  • 28-08-2008 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭

Red Dwarf will return to the airwaves in 2009, either on satellite channel "Dave" or the BBC (perhaps both?).

According to Digital Spy:
    "...Craig Charles, Chris Barrie, Danny John-Jules, Robert Llewellyn and Chloe Annett will appear in four 30-minute specials that will combine new material with classic footage"
    Other reports state:
    "Robert Llewellyn, who played android Kryten in the cult hit, has announced that BBC Worldwide has commissioned a one-off 60-minute episode.

The script will be filmed in October for release on DVD next year."

I will always welcome new RD episodes but if one of these ideas must happen, I really hope that it's the BBC 60 minute special, just so we can tie up all loose ends on the saga or at least conclude the cliffhanger ending to "Only the Good". I wouldn't say no to both ideas going ahead though!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

The 60 minute one would be totally ace. Please make it be the 60 minute bbc version with all the original cast members back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I don't care which one they go with just as long as they don't smeg everything up and use special effects more advanced than a dustbin lid. The best thing about Red Dwarf was the crappy special effects, it made the show a lot funnier. good effects will take away from the greatness

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Excellent news!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Shinji Ikari

This is great....I just hope they upload it to youtube.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

smegging great!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 DaveR321

Be great to have this back

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

Looks like itll be the 30 minute specials then, I wonder what they mean by combining old and new material, hopefully 96% of the latter. I doubt it having seen the lewellyn vid, but it would be excellent if grant naylor returned to the script writing helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

It's official
    For the record, and direct from the makers, the details of the four shows right now - while wholly subject to change - are:

Show One - The Making Of The Specials
    A highly entertaining look at what goes on behind the scenes on a Red Dwarf production.

Show Two - Red Dwarf Special: Part One
    The cast get back into character, and costume, a decade on...

Show Three - Red Dwarf Special: Part Two
    The adventure continues...

Show Four - A Clip Show With a Serious Difference
    The cast do it their way. Red Dwarf as you have never, ever seen it before!

The shows will broadcast sometime in 2009 and, if successful, could pave the way for further Red Dwarf TV projects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

they could all be clip shows, then sitting around, 'remember when...'

• Advertisement

Lewellyn did say there would be two entirely new episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Meller

as if we needed more 8( series seven and eight were torture enough.

if the actors were ten years younger and the writers actually remembered how to make stuff, y'know... _funny_, i would welcome this.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭BrokenSpiral

Can't wait!!!!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

..................... I wonder what they mean by combining old and new material, hopefully 96% of the latter. ..................................but it would be excellent if grant naylor returned to the script writing helm.

Perhaps new scenes and old special effects (i.e. starbug flying/crashing etc)

I do think the last 2 series let the whole thing down.

Bramble wrote: »
    Perhaps new scenes and old special effects (i.e. starbug flying/crashing etc)

I do think the last 2 series let the whole thing down.

that's the fundamental warning sign as I see it, the other writer dude left prior to the last two series, which were written by the other guy, who will be writing for these new episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 TheForeSkins

Any new episodes would be amazing...

These photos should make everyone really happy!!!

http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2008/12/19/casting-call/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 seeker099

about time, considering some of the rubbish the bbc ran for years and years, it a wonder why grant and naylor weren't paid buckets before hand for a feature lenght.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Further confirmation. I presume this will be the end of the search for backers for a feature length version of the show, although if it's a sucess it could be a springboard. Hope it's good
    BBC News wrote:
    Red Dwarf voyages back to Earth

Cult comedy Red Dwarf is returning to TV, 21 years after its initial launch.

The show has been resurrected by digital channel Dave for a two-part Easter weekend special, which sees the cast finally return to Earth.

Written and directed by Red Dwarf co-creator Doug Naylor, the new show reunites the line-up, including Coronation Street's Craig Charles.

The hit show, which ran for eight series on BBC Two between 1988 and 1999, won an International Emmy award.

'No holds barred'

Set three million years into the future, the show followed the exploits of Dave Lister, slovenly crew member of the mining ship Red Dwarf - and the last man in the universe.

He was joined in his weekly attempts to make it back to Earth by a cast of oddballs including human hologram Arnold Rimmer, mechanoid servant Kryten and Cat - a preening half-man, half-animal who evolved from the ship's cat.

At its peak, Red Dwarf pulled in around eight million viewers and was broadcast in more than 25 countries.

It has sold more than seven million DVDs and videos.

The new two-part series Red Dwarf: Back to Earth will be followed by a "no holds barred" episode without sets, special effects or autocue.

The weekend will climax with Red Dwarf: the Making of Back to Earth, a behind-the-scenes special from the new episodes.

Published: 2009/01/27 00:38:55 GMT

© BBC MMIX

Link

I don't what to make of the talk of the "no holds barred" episode without sets, special effects or autocue. - sounds like it could be a total disaster to me. And the lack of an autocue could be a big problem given how terrible some of the cast were at learning their lines!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

TeaserPicB_465.jpg

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

loved this show when I was younger and can't wait for this!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭CommieBaz

Azhrei wrote: »
    TeaserPicB_465.jpg

:D

Smegging nostalgic!

Only 1 month to go!!! Could be smeg though.

Group2-465.jpg

.....words fail me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Is that a car version of Starbug in the back?

Kryten's viewscreen really is getting smaller by the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭RAMAN

Really looking forward to this now. I would like to think that after the long break everyone will be on top form, especially the writers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

From the photos it does look like they learned from their mistakes and will at least try to make it like classic Dwarf, it will probably be like a homage. But that doesn't mean it will actually be funny...

But they do all look like their old selves except Rimmer who just looks old. He even seems to be wearing some sort of a girdle desguised as a belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

It's a hernia prevention belt.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Since I've seen that picture all I can thin is 70's theme tunes :p
    Should be good (fingers crossed)

According to the ever-reliable rumour mill, Kochanski has been killed off and Holly is offline due to water damage caused by Lister leaving a tap running....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

http://www.listerscominghome.co.uk/

if you stick with figuring it out there is a few snippits of info and bits of video

Advertisement