Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD upscaler with USB and SC slots for €44.99.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Was lucky enough to pick one up today in Fonthill (last one I think) - it works great except some of the higher resolution DivX files won't play - it says "HD Not Supported".
    Bummer :(
    Anybody any ideas on this ?
    Still - for €45 quid you can't really go wrong with it !

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

TM wrote: »
    Is the drive FAT or FAT32 formatted? If not (e.g. NTFS) then the player probably can't read it.

It's NTFS. Have a second drive thats FAT32 and it works ok, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

In case it's of any use to anybody else Maplin are selling the unit mentioned in the thread below (and on a few other sites) for €49.99. It seems to have similar capabilities to the one originally mentioned in this thread:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/148088/nikkai-compact-multi-function-hdmi-/

Got one myself today and had a brief play with it this evening which was good fun. I wanted a compact player with USB and DivX (HDMI not essential right now) so this one fitted my particular bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home_ni.nsf/pages/c.o.20081013.p.SilverCrestHDMIDVDPlayer

This strikes me as good value but how does it compare to the Tevion model in the op for functionality?

Does it playback downloaded videos via the usb port?. It doesnt really sound like it in the advert "Recording from audio CD onto USB or memory card media" its said as if it just enables audio playback through the usb port.

Im assuming it having MPEG-4 should enable divX and Xvid playback?.

Anyone already have one of these players or anyone who could review it and point out the pro's cons etc?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home_ni.nsf/pages/c.o.20081013.p.SilverCrestHDMIDVDPlayer

This strikes me as good value but how does it compare to the Tevion model in the op for functionality?

Does it playback downloaded videos via the usb port?. It doesnt really sound like it in the advert "Recording from audio CD onto USB or memory card media" its said as if it just enables audio playback through the usb port.

Im assuming it having MPEG-4 should enable divX and Xvid playback?.

Anyone already have one of these players or anyone who could review it and point out the pro's cons etc?.

Rounders I have that model and its grand
    plays all formats....doesn't play HD through through the USB though.
    The DVD player on it isn't the best, mine went wonky (prolly just needs cleaning) after 8 months.
    It's well worth the money.
    Go to pixels.ie as well for a 4gb flash key.

• Advertisement

DeadParrot wrote: »
    Rounders I have that model and its grand
    plays all formats....doesn't play HD through through the USB though.
    The DVD player on it isn't the best, mine went wonky (prolly just needs cleaning) after 8 months.
    It's well worth the money.
    Go to pixels.ie as well for a 4gb flash key.

Cheers for the review deadparrot and as luck would have it i bought a 4G flash key on ebay just a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

This http://www.mysilvercrest.de/en/artikel.php?a=100 was the one I got from Lidl a while back. Plays anything I've thrown at it anyway. I'd be very surprised if the one there selling now would do any less. (pity they don't show the model number in the ad)
    Also, I think it's a far sturdier build than the Tevion model, especially the r\c.
    Btw the link you had went to the NI price, it'll be 59.99 in euros.

Btw the link you had went to the NI price, it'll be 59.99 in euros.

Ah that explains it!. I got back on today to check their website and presumed they had jacked the price up. Only now you point it out i realised they werent at it. I'll cover myself by saying they should put a currency symbol in front of the price to save confusion!.

Although there was one thing that DeadParrot mentioned that concerned me if i understood it right. he said it doesn't play HD through through the USB. Isnt most good downloaded film HDTV nowadays?. Does this mean you need to download non HDTV film if you want to watch via the usb?. Ah its no big deal anyway i presume HD works from a DVD+RW?.
    Sorry for the meanderings im only getting the hang of this recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

The Silvercrests are still available for anyone who is interested. I picked one up in Finglas Monday mid morning and another one for my sister when I was in Clonee today.

Advertisement