Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How xenophobic is Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

PillyPen wrote: »
    I'll PM you too, but it will just be an awkward silence. :D

Just like every other conversation I have had :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

As you can tell from my sig, I'm leaving the US for Dublin in about a month. I've never been and I must say some threads on boards are scaring the crap out of me. I've heard lots of good things about the Irish attitude towards foreigners.

This site doesn't really reflect your day to day dealings with people. What's said on this site can be exteem.
    I have an American friend who tells anyone who asks that she Canadian. She got fed up explaining Bush.
    So apart from having to explain your government, you'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

The guy wrote: »
    American's aren't going to receive as much racism (or any really) as black people, muslim and eastern europeans.

Unless your BONO with his lovely American accent!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,176 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

gcgirl wrote: »
    Unless your BONO with his lovely American accent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

Beruthiel wrote: »
    This site doesn't really reflect your day to day dealings with people. What's said on this site can be exteem.
    I have an American friend who tells anyone who asks that she Canadian. She got fed up explaining Bush.
    So apart from having to explain your government, you'll be grand.

Wow, what did they want her to explain? What an embarrassment he is. Thank god he's almost out, although I'm not sure his replacement will be any better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It'll be like moving from USA to Canada. You'll have to take some slagging until people get used to you.
    Dublin is full of white/black/brown foreigners anyway so no-one will pay much attention.

At least you're not a muck savage :)

I lived among the muck savages. they werent all that bad tbh. its when you get stabbed or shot in limerick that you start running into the troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Overheal wrote: »
    I lived among the muck savages. they werent all that bad tbh. its when you get stabbed or shot in limerick that you start running into the troubles.

Don't mind him, he's only a yank.

The troubles were mostly confined to the North.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Wow, what did they want her to explain? What an embarrassment he is.

I suppose after th 50th time of having to discuss American politics, she got tired of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dudess wrote: »
    Don't worry - you're white, western, English speaking and speak with an accent that's very familiar to us due to the saturation of American television shows/films.
    You won't even be considered a "foreigner"...

Presses 'Booooo' button.

OP, no matter what race, creed or colour you'll find a very warm welcome here in Ireland.

• Advertisement

hot lead has that effect

biko wrote: »
    It'll be like moving from USA to Canada. You'll have to take some slagging until people get used to you.
    Dublin is full of white/black/brown foreigners anyway so no-one will pay much attention.

At least you're not a muck savage :)

That puts it into perspective pretty well. Canadians are so damn nice. God love 'em, it's a shame they have to copy everything America does. :pac:

I have no idea what you're talking about, but I'm not looking it up because I have the feeling it will not ease my worried mind. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Please do not take the ****e that is posted on this forum as a view to the irish mindset.

Please do not take the ****e that is posted on this forum as a view to the irish mindset.

I'm not going by what the Irish are saying because that hasn't been an issue at all really. I'm more worried about what the foreigners are saying about their experiences in Ireland. It was just that one thread and I do think I was due for a pre-departure freakout.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I am not Irish myself but managed to live here for 6 years now.
    You ll get the occasional dipstick that tells you that you have his job, live in his house bla bla bla.
    Other than that it is all fine.
    I found out pretty soon that it is actually pretty easy here. There only 2 groups of people here: Complete a55holes and really nice people.
    The last group is the majority.
    And it seems there is nothing in between and you ll find out in minutes if not seconds to what group someone belongs.

As for going out... i found this thread earlier
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055364640

Might come in handy.

Good luck!

without fail, everytime im ready to take a flight I hear about a plane crash on the news, or the history channel does an all day marathon of air crash investigations. youre just excitable, chillax.

I'm not going by what the Irish are saying because that hasn't been an issue at all really. I'm more worried about what the foreigners are saying about their experiences in Ireland. It was just that one thread and I do think I was due for a pre-departure freakout.

There really isn't much to worry about. We do have some antiquated laws though. For instance, as a foreigner you are obliged to hand over 50% of your earnings to a native of your choice.

Tell you what though, select me and I promise to only keep 25%.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,011 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

As long as you don't ask anyone for money, wash windscreens or clone ATM cards, you'll be fine.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    As long as you don't ask anyone for money, wash windscreens or clone ATM cards, you'll be fine.

What else would I be going abroad for? Thanks for killing the dream, man.

oh yeah ATMs... cover the keypad with your wallet when you punch in your pin. feckers with their cameras.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

As you can tell from my sig, I'm leaving the US for Dublin in about a month. I've never been and I must say some threads on boards are scaring the crap out of me. I've heard lots of good things about the Irish attitude towards foreigners, but as the time approaches I'm paying more attention to the bad and now I'm petrified that I'll spend the next year of my life with no enjoyable contact with the Irish! I'm not a big supporter of America myself, so I don't get bothered by people pointing out the flaws in American culture (as long as it's legit). I'm more afraid that people are going to hear an accent and immediately start abusing me personally for being American.

Anyway, I'd like to know what I'm in for so I can brace myself. All feedback will be appreciated.
    I wonder why that is about American girls. I'm always loling at boards, maybe the Irish sense of humor gets predictable or something? Our sense of humor is really odd, but I guess every country's is when you look at it.

I'm a woman. Women with steel balls ftw!

I look forward to meeting you at a beers.

oh yeah ATMs... cover the keypad with your wallet when you punch in your pin. feckers with their cameras.

And make sure you punch it in. None of this pressing crap you might be used to back home. I wanna see fists!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

On a scale of one to eleven, pink:D

Seriously you shouldn't have major problems - just tell everyone you hate Bush, vote for Obama and think the availability of guns in the US is nuts and you should be ok.

Also judging from Boards is not a good idea.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    And make sure you punch it in. None of this pressing crap you might be used to back home. I wanna see fists!
    Im an agressive typist :pac:

inforfun wrote: »
    I am not Irish myself but managed to live here for 6 years now.
    You ll get the occasional dipstick that tells you that you have his job, live in his house bla bla bla.
    Other than that it is all fine.
    I found out pretty soon that it is actually pretty easy here. There only 2 groups of people here: Complete a55holes and really nice people.
    The last group is the majority.
    And it seems there is nothing in between and you ll find out in minutes if not seconds to what group someone belongs.

As for going out... i found this thread earlier
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055364640

Might come in handy.

Good luck!

Thanks for the link, that will be helpful. :)
    without fail, everytime im ready to take a flight I hear about a plane crash on the news, or the history channel does an all day marathon of air crash investigations. youre just excitable, chillax.

Ha, QFT! I hate that!
    There really isn't much to worry about. We do have some antiquated laws though. For instance, as a foreigner you are obliged to hand over 50% of your earnings to a native of your choice.

Tell you what though, select me and I promise to only keep 25%.

I don't think I'll be making much money, but I'll buy you a beer and we'll call it even. That's my final offer!

Is that true?
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    I look forward to meeting you at a beers.

I look forward to going! How do you find out where they are?
    On a scale of one to eleven, pink:D

Seriously you shouldn't have major problems - just tell everyone you hate Bush, vote for Obama and think the availability of guns in the US is nuts and you should be ok.

Also judging from Boards is not a good idea.

So I should leave my "Charlton Heston is my president" t-shirt at home? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

So I should leave my "Charlton Heston is my president" t-shirt at home? :p

Where can I get one of those?????

And boards beers are usually advertised with much fanfare, you won't miss it.

Im an agressive typist

U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A! Hoooooooo!

*raises 2 by 4 and sticks tongue out side of mouth*
    I don't think I'll be making much money, but I'll buy you a beer and we'll call it even. That's my final offer!

Final offer refused; I don't drink, but thanks for pigeon-holing me with your outdated racial stereotype.

*starts fight with nearest Limey*

Where can I get one of those?????

And boards beers are usually advertised with much fanfare, you won't miss it.

Ask anyone with a confederate flag and bumper nuts on their truck, I'm sure they'd know. Although they might be harder to come by now that ol' Charlie boy has kicked the bucket.
    Final offer refused; I don't drink, but thanks for pigeon-holing me with your outdated racial stereotype.

*starts fight with nearest Limey*

Damn, and Fodor's assured me that offering a beer would be the quickest way to quell a dispute with the natives. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Personally i think hip hop music is to blame for eveything!! :o

Advertisement