Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai may be given new powers to enter your house / car to disable nuisance alarms.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Finally, fecking alarms going off and staying on are a bloody nuisance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

A few questions spring to mind
    How will they enter your house, kick the door in?
    When they leave will it still be secure?
    If they know how to turn off your alarm surely others will as well.
    If your house is robbed after they entered and disabled your alarm can you sue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SpookyDoll

BRING.
    IT.
    ON.

About time too, people who set their alarms yet fail to nominate a keyholder who knows the pin code are selfish [EMAIL="tw@ts"]tw@ts[/EMAIL].
    What is the point of setting it to ring away if no-one is going to come and see to it. NONE.

I have stopped putting on my alarm as in my estate we are plagued day and night by nuisance alarms that have been set by thoughtless people who went off on their merry way leaving neighbours to hours and days of utter misery.

I am glad someone somewhere has finally seen sense.

If I had've had a shotgun last night I would not have hesitated to blow one off the wall, it went on for hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SpookyDoll

Deadeyes wrote: »
    A few questions spring to mind
    How will they enter your house, kick the door in?
    When they leave will it still be secure?
    If they know how to turn off your alarm surely others will as well.
    If your house is robbed after they entered and disabled your alarm can you sue?

None of that is relevant, if you had left a key and a contact number with the neighbours none of it would even be necessary.

I would hate the guards to break into my house but if I had failed in my civic duty to my neighbours by failing to leave contact details for a keyholder it would serve me right.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Perhaps no harm, I have often threatened to go out myself with a lump hammer and ladder and remove the neighbours nuisance alarm off the wall when they go away on holidays.

You would also want to make sure your house is in order before you go away, i.e no roach ends left lying around in ash trays etc :D

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/breaking-news/ireland/gardai-may-get-power-to-switch-off-nuisance-alarms-13954874.html

I'm confused. The authorities are being given more power to intrude in our lives and you're.... in favour of it?

Now I feel stupid. I put on my tinfoil hat for nothing. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

One step too far. This is the problem when you get as far left-wing as the Green Party. Civil liberties get shat all over.

Nobody, including the Gardai, should be permitted to enter your home except in circumstances where someone's life is in danger, a criminal needs to be apprehended, or where a warrant has been issued.

What are the Gardai going to do when they get in there anyway? Keep pressing button until they get the right code? Start disconnecting batteries and wires in the hope that they get them all?

Ridiculous.

The solution is very simple - when someone makes a complaint, the Gardai attempt to contact the householder. If they cannot, the Gardai attend to the scene after 30 minutes and knock on the door. If there is no answer, you issue a fine for €2500.

The Gardai get a list of householder names from land registry, and householders have an obligation to provide contact details and keyholder names to the Gardai, to be entered into the national database.

That way, nobody's civil liberties are shat on, and people have a bloody good reason to make sure their alarms work properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

about bloody time

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

What's wrong with leaving a key with the neighbours? We had two who had keys and knew how to disarm the alarm.

They had to do it once when we were at the shops. They went in, looked around, everything ok, turned off alarm, locked up, left. Where do the guards come in...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

The only solution is vagrancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

ID cards for some, house alarms for others!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Last weekend there was an alarm that started sounding at about 3pm on Saturday and kept going until some time on Monday. It was mercifuly silent by the time I got home from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭kirving

They could just get a ladder and turn it off from the outside. Or forget the ladder and shoot it, and a few windows too as punishement.

Obviously this wouldn't be possible if it was the internal alarm causing the problen, as in apartments or semi-d houses.

But really, if all reasonable efforts have been made to contact the owner, the Gardai should be allowed to break in, possibly with a locksmith to cause as little damage as possible and cut the wires to the internal siren too.

Call in an electricion for that too and send the owner the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Thank god!

My nextdoor neighbours are hardly ever there. They have a really sensitive alarm system in the house. The house is old so the windows are always rattling when it's windy. So then the alarm goes off. I've been in bed at 7am with the stupid thing going off and still not able to sleep.

Can't wait :)

Hauk

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Is there not a law or something stating that alarms have to turn off after a certain amount of time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

surely a word with your neighbours should solve most of these problems. Well i live in the country and thats how it goes. We have a spare key to the neighbours in case an alarm goes off and we can turn it off. Nobody has the right to my home, unless someone inside is in danger without relevant documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Gormley is out of his (wheely) bin. He puts noise pollution above the right to personal privacy and civil liberties. Ill chose a noisy alarm over gardai having the power to break into my house. Madness. Thank God the Greens only have 1 Ministry and hopefully not after the next election.

ps: I voted for them :mad:
    * they also want to lower the speed limits to save the planet. Screw road deaths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

javaboy wrote: »
    I'm confused. The authorities are being given more power to intrude in our lives and you're.... in favour of it?

Now I feel stupid. I put on my tinfoil hat for nothing. :(
    I have a local key holder that looks after my alarm, its also resets itself automatically if a bird or cat triggers it off. Never had problems.

Anyone who cannot maintain their alarm i.e have it reset after 10 minutes and authorize a local key holder deserves what ever abuse they get whether its the cops kicking in their door or some guy attacking it with a lump hammer trying to get some kip. If the person cannot find a keyholder there are security companies that will do this service with a call out charge.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I think there's no reason for the internal sounder to ring forever either - it could have a longer timeout than the one outside, but I think it should reset on its own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

Wait.. If they enter your home, by whatever means, who pays for any repairs? I'm sure they won't, but then can you claim it from the alarm supplier, saying it was faulty or something? How can anything be proved in this situation? Silly new rule! House alarms are a nuisance, but this is skating strangely invasive areas to rid people of a "nuisance",no?

Odd move!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

seamus wrote: »
    One step too far. This is the problem when you get as far left-wing as the Green Party. Civil liberties get shat all over.
    Since when is the left and green wanting to give the police more powers?
    That's the right-wing Tories job!

If anyone has a persistent alarm they should be dragged out onto the street and chained to their car for a full night.

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Since when is the left and green wanting to give the police more powers?
    That's the right-wing Tories job!

I have a theory that the political landscape is round and not flat. Go far enough in either direction and you basically end up in the same place.

And left shall be right and right shall be left. Yea verily.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

People should just give a key to their neighbours or at least a contact number. Unfortunately, people are stupid and don't do this, so if the Gardai want to enter these peoples' houses that's fine by me.

When my neighbours went on holidays one year they gave us the number of a relative and I had no problem ringing him at 4 in the morning to get him to turn the alarm off. Funnily enough after that they just gave us a key!

Tbh alarms don't annoy me that much, but they do annoy my dad, and I don't like angry dad, so I welcome our new alarm overlords.

Edit: I also like Seamus's idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I'd like the public to be given the legal power to take a shít through the offending house's letterbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

A step too far. I agree with Seamus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

I'd go one step further.

Give them the power to go into peoples houses who..

a) have dogs that bark all night
    b) have stupid loud cars that come and go all night
    c) have friends who are too focking lazy to get out of their car and ring the bell and beep the horn instead
    d) have parties that go on all night cos they're wasters with no jobs and no need to get up in the morning
    e) make random banging noises
    f)argue and fight every weekend amongst themselves

..and kill them all stone dead.

Edit oh yeah and the alarm people too, got a bit distracted there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

Judge: Why did you enter the house?
    Garda: The alarm was sounding.
    Judge: How long had it been going for?
    Garda: We set it off about 30 minutes prior to entering the house.
    Judge: Why did you set it off?
    Garda: Well, we knew he was guilty of something but you wouldn't give us a search warrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,349 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The Gardai get a list of householder names from land registry, and householders have an obligation to provide contact details and keyholder names to the Gardai, to be entered into the national database.

That way, nobody's civil liberties are shat on, and people have a bloody good reason to make sure their alarms work properly.
    lol, one more database. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The greens always had a massive totalitarian streak in them, their whole ethos is based on dictating how everyone else should live. Its only now that the f***ers are in govt that people have realised that they aqrent the safe cuddly party you can feel good about voting for

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Victor wrote: »
    lol, one more database. :)
    Actually if I had my way it would be one database overall with a shedload of different tables and views. :)

• Advertisement

Actually if I had my way it would be one database overall with a shedload of different tables and views. :)

CuLT for Taoiseach Chief Database Admin.

Advertisement