Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair cabin depressurization on a BRS>GRO flight on 25.8.08

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I find the slam at Jetmagic interesting. Do we know for a fact that the IAA had any hand act or part in the changing of the announcements or just that the Ops Manager who took over from the Swiss guys decided he could do better?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

When the oxygen masks are lowered they lower to just above your head so in order to get them over your mouth you have to pull them down. This activates the oxygen flow.

I agree an automatic voice announcement when the masks are lowered is a good idea but you can't blame the airlines for not having it if the regulators don't require it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

I came across this airworthiness directive on the FAA website concerning problems affecting the activation mechanism in the chemical oxygen generator of this model of aircraft - caused by a fracture of components between the passenger oxygen mask and the release pin in the oxygen generator. Perhaps this is why certain passengers apparently couldn't get oxygen and ended up in a Limoges hospital?

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Gu...9?OpenDocument

.probe

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭transylman

Probe, you seem to have some sort of vendetta against Ryanair. If you look at the video you will see a standard safety presentation in which it is made abundantly clear how to use the oxygen mask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 scab-e

Picture the scene. You are on a plane when suddenly the oxygen masks drop down and the plane starts descending 22,000 feet as fast as the pilot can safely manage. Every starts screaming, crapping themselves, texting 'I love you' to their families.

Normal reaction when you first put on an oxygen mask is to hyperventilate and attempt to drink the air for dear life. A lot of people are going to be treated for shock afterwards. I thik I'd be one of them.

I think somebody other than ryanair ought to have inspected the oxygen masks that night.
    ryanair wrote:
    Ryanair's engineers have inspected the aircraft overnight and have confirmed that the oxygen masks which deployed were working properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,471 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The passengers that went to the hospital went due to rapid depressurisation of the cabin, leading to earache - NOT due to lack of oxygen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

scab-e wrote: »
    Picture the scene. You are on a plane when suddenly the oxygen masks drop down and the plane starts descending 22,000 feet as fast as the pilot can safely manage. Every starts screaming, crapping themselves, texting 'I love you' to their families.

Normal reaction when you first put on an oxygen mask is to hyperventilate and attempt to drink the air for dear life. A lot of people are going to be treated for shock afterwards. I thik I'd be one of them.

I think somebody other than ryanair ought to have inspected the oxygen masks that night.

Why? What injuries have been reported that indicate they weren't working properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

This is a pointless thread. I'm closing it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement