Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheists on TV/in movies!

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Almost all the main the characters in Buffy and Angel are agnostics or atheists, although it is very hard to touch upon these issues when there are demons, magic, higher powers, gods, and evil forces everywhere. One thing is sure, they're not monotheistic. Willow, who is Wiccan, can be excused for being so considering it actually works in the Buffyverse.

Really? I'm a big fan of both shows and I cannot remember any major anti-religious sentiment from any character. I know Whedon is a staunch atheist but I don't think he has channeled that through any of the characters in Buffy and Angel.

And as you said, it's tough to prove what you are saying considering there is a Hellmouth, Gods, Demons and Buffy actually stating that upon being resurrected she believed she was in heaven when she died.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Patrick Jane from the Mentalist is an Atheist

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Patrick Jane from the Mentalist is an Atheist
    Never seen it... looks good. It is like that much or does that clip just misconstrue a regular cop show?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Dades wrote: »
    Never seen it... looks good. It is like that much or does that clip just misconstrue a regular cop show?

It's okay. It's inspired in places, but feels like CSI in others. It's not structured either, which is its downfall. There is an underlying main plot, but it is rarely touched on. The usual fare consists of Jane using his mentalist abilities to help solve murders.

The episodes that deal with the main plot are very good though. Much like Fox's sister and the cancer man episodes in the X-Files.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

Dave! wrote: »
    That's optimistic Calibos...

I stop thinking Obama is just 'pretending' to be religious when, after he was elected, he had 2 (read: TWO!) preachers speak at his inauguration.

Surely 1 is enough!

I think Obama is very interesting at the moment, but he will be even more interesting when he leaves office. I think once he becomes an ex-president he'll talk more openly about hot button subjects, such as religion.
    I do think he is religious, but not as religious as he makes himself out to be. I reckon he might be a 3 on the scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Knock yerselves out: Atheist Movie Guide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

If God is at the top of the chain, then he can't believe in any higher power or deity, so technically he's an athiest.

Plus he's a fictional character.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

It's okay. It's inspired in places, but feels like CSI in others. It's not structured either, which is its downfall. There is an underlying main plot, but it is rarely touched on. The usual fare consists of Jane using his mentalist abilities to help solve murders.

The episodes that deal with the main plot are very good though. Much like Fox's sister and the cancer man episodes in the X-Files.

I always thought those episodes were the worst ones - it was so clear they had no idea where they were going.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,970 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Otacon wrote: »
    No, he lost to Matt Santos.
    Ah, but (if reports are true)
    Vinick was supposed to win, but the script was changed at the last minute. After the death of actor John Spencer, they had to write in the death of Leo McGarry, and it was thought too harsh for Santos to lose his VP and the election on the same night.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

I havn't watched enough west wing to know whether Bartlett is atheist or not (I'm assuming not) but I gained a hell of a lot of ammunition from this one speech of his against christians who claim to follow the Bible religiously (ironic?). :D

Next time somebody tells you they follow the bible offer to buy their daughter. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Barlett is very much a Christian -- one of his flaws :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I must watch that show, actually...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yes, yes you must :)

Advertisement