Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a good SEO pro

Options
  • 25-08-2008 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hi

I am looking for a good SEO pro to look at my site and make recommendations. The site is www.arion.ie , thanks in advance

Arion Online

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

http://www.redcardinal.ie
    http://www.2bscene.ie

There are quite a few seo types over on http://www.iwf.ie as well ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Prob sticking my nose in were it doesnt concern me but i thought id let you know, im using microsofts new SKYDRIVE, it a free online back-up system that allows each account 5gb...

Impressive and free, Im not trying to flatten your ambition but i imagine it will have an affect on your line of business.... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Smcgie wrote: »
    it a free online back-up system that allows each account 5mb...

good grief 5mb ... where do I sign up *rotfl* ... can I assume you meant 5gb ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Arion Online

Smcgie wrote: »
    Prob sticking my nose in were it doesnt concern me but i thought id let you know, im using microsofts new SKYDRIVE, it a free online back-up system that allows each account 5mb...

Impressive and free, Im not trying to flatten your ambition but i imagine it will have an affect on your line of business.... :o

Hey Smcgie,

Yeah I have looked at the Skydrive before and it's great for individua users. We are targeting business users that generally have a bit more that 5gb to back up. Ours is more of a managed backup solution, where we will guarantee a backup and in the event of a disaster have all data (that could be north of 1TB) on-site within 24 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

forbairt wrote: »
    good grief 5mb ... where do I sign up *rotfl* ... can I assume you meant 5gb ?

sorry, mistype i ment 5GB. As nice as Bill is im sure hes just not that nice ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Hi

I am looking for a good SEO pro to look at my site and make recommendations. The site is www.arion.ie , thanks in advance

Arion Online

sent you a PM -

good luck

C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 villaolivio

try www.scriptlance.com
    Here you can find good (and bad) seo people

rgds Jeroen

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭deepriver

Hi

Arion Online

why not do it yourself, its not rocket science

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

From looking at the backlinks, it doesn't look like any SEO has been done. Why don't you you search for "Search Engine Optimisation" in Google or check out the guys in the Geansai Gorm SEO competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭leonvquinn

Yep, same as link8r, just google "Geansai Gorm" in google.ie and you should see a list of links to sites that know what they're doing when it comes to seo!

• Advertisement

leonvquinn wrote: »
    Yep, same as link8r, just google "Geansai Gorm" in google.ie and you should see a list of links to sites that know what they're doing when it comes to seo!

Yet in your blog you say
    They will also be entitled to the title “Saddest Internet Marketer in Ireland”!

To be honest I wouldn't really rank the sites in the geansai gorm competition so don't use that as an indication of how good people are at SEO. It could be used as a slight indicator but ... Geansai Gorm is not exactly a phrase that has a lot of competition out there. Its a relatively new term on the market and the positions are fluctuating and going to be for some time to come until it all settles down by which stage it'll all be over :D

Its a bit of fun but its trying to rank a phrase that has no competition.

- Disclosure I'm currently ranked number one for the term -

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Too tired to explain why but whatever you do, do not base your search for an SEO on that competition. It's not a true indicator of search knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

forbairt wrote: »

- Disclosure I'm currently ranked number one for the term -

Can you say surrender? Practice. ;)

Can you say surrender? Practice. ;)

I give myself another 2 days :)

I meant to look at the people behind the Geansai Gorm competition. A couple of us are keeping blogs about what we're doing and the problems we're encourntering. For example, I registered a new domain exactly one week ago that Google has somehow managed to remember content from the domains previous existence over 18 months ago...and isn't reading mine :(

Also, behind each Geansai Gorm is also posts, websites and blogs of people who have been researching and working in SEO, some up to 5 years.

As Bill Gates said, the best way to learn code is to read others - like Larry Ellison digging in the garbage bins behind IBM discovered relational db theory hence Oracle.

(I've just realised I'll now draw fire from Mac-heads and Linxu-fiends - sorry!)

link8r wrote: »
    Also, behind each Geansai Gorm is also posts, websites and blogs of people who have been researching and working in SEO, some up to 5 years.

the big players are taking a back seat it would seem and not playing then they don't need to :)

Who would you consider a big player? I'm stuck in Limerick, we dont have any players ;)

Actual SEO / SEM companies :D

Well I wouldn't have minded seeing entries from

http://www.redcardinal.ie
    http://www.2bscene.ie

(from Blacknights post on here)

http://www.redflymarketing.com

and others who's names don't jump out at me at the moment.

I could be wrong but isn't RedCardinal a one man band?

We're a company...www.primaryposition.com or doesn't that count? ;)

Yes he is (afaik) ... have you ever read any of his responses :) he may as well be a company :D

erm :D ... I've never heard of ye to be honest (apart from seeing one or two posts about ye) ... sorry :) and no offense meant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

If blue jumpers are your game then forbairt is your man

:D

We're based in Limerick so we probably don't count!

We're ranked #2 for Search Engine Optimisation and SEO in Google.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

I have a "ceist beag"

In the rules it says that it has to be a "new site" -one of the sites ranking in google for the term is 7 years old another is 5 years!

Whats the story! To be frank i had a look at it - but the whole "new domain" thing put me off.

blue4ever wrote: »
    I have a "ceist beag"

In the rules it says that it has to be a "new site" -one of the sites ranking in google for the term is 7 years old another is 5 years!

Whats the story! To be frank i had a look at it - but the whole "new domain" thing put me off.

url's?

From the front page

www.mulley.net/2008/10/28/mirror-mirror-on-the-wall-whos-the-greatest-seo-of-them-all/

www.tomdoyletalk.com/2008/10/29/geansai-gorm-the-latest-greatest-seo-competition/

www.smemon.com/geansai-gorm-news/

sites.google.com/site/geansaigormproject/

Damien Mulley = Competition starter .. not surprised he ranks there
    Tom Doyle = Active blog discussing it don't think he entered the competition but then I don't think he'd need to .. his clients positions for terms speak for itself.

SmeMon .. has an entry ... I believe his main site isn't counted

sites.google... well its a pre existing domain so its excluded I know there are a few blogs talking about the competition.

The new domain thing was really so that no weight is given to the age of the domain which could impact on the search term.

If everyone has a new domain everyone is on a level playing field (apart from maybe having a few bigger sites to call on)

Its a bit of fun and its a good chance to try out some things.

Cormac only started the site the other day and its completely in irish so we'll see how that goes.

Really 2 + weeks is a long time in this comp.

it's interesting to note, that afaik know none of the big SEO giants put there company name on the line and entered :D

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RedCardinal

And a very happy one-man-band at that. But obviously I work with a number of other suppliers who provide services to me and my clients.

I've been extremely lucky - I'm working with some serious websites, and some of the leading technologies on the web. Remaining small and nimble has worked extremely well for me :)

Oh, and lastly - I long since quit worrying about how I rank online. I've learnt that the great clients aren't finding me via Google. And my website is a shocking disgrace (IMO) and not really befitting the work I do.

Was extremely tempted to join the fun, but honestly just cant afford the time. I doubt I'd have been much good anyhow, as this one is in the hands of the gods. Some interesting tactics bubbling up, and I look forward to meeting some of the folk involved to see how I can potentially work with them in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RedCardinal

We're based in Limerick so we probably don't count!

We're ranked #2 for Search Engine Optimisation and SEO in Google.ie

Seems you forgot to add some HTML anchors:
    <div style="font-size:11px; color:#000000; ">"Geansai Gorm" ><br>

http://www.escapesoftware.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

ntlbell wrote: »
    it's interesting to note, that afaik know none of the big SEO giants put there company name on the line and entered :D

Which tells you all you need to know :)

If you're the best or one of the best SEO companies/individuals in the country, you should have no problem coming out on top...

Added to that, you should be in it simply to prove you're the best and further or defend your own reputation or cement your status as top dog.

Having all domains as new domains without the search terms means it's fair for all. As fair as it can be. Of course some people will have more power than others linking-wise but a lot of it comes down to simply being arsed to do something about it.

My entry is no.6 at the minute and i've by no means pushed myself to the limits and gone all out. I've just kept the head down and tried to add a few posts and get a few links - i'd imagine the others are in the exact same boat. This stuff takes time and if you don't have time, you're not gonna win - simple as that.

On the flip side though, it's worth investing a bit of time if you can come out on top as the exposure can only be a good thing and could potentially do you or your company the world of good. I suppose it's like the Carling Cup - the little fish are desperate for it as it's the only chance they'll ever get to win silverware and the big guns aren't really sure whether to go for it or not...

• Advertisement

smemon wrote: »
    If you're the best or one of the best SEO companies/individuals in the country, you should have no problem coming out on top...

Yes and no ... you get 1 big dog doing it .. they should win ... you get 5 - 10 big dogs doing it ... and you've got 4 - 9 players who aren't the best in Ireland and certain people will note that. Its really not in their interest to play the game. There'll have to be loosers ... if you don't play you can't win ... but you also can't technically lose.

Advertisement