Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steer Clear of UPC/NTL. Terrible Terrible Service!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

I have uPC TV, broadband.

Excellent servivce , no problems.

If they want to flog me a phone service occasionally, no problem. I can say no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I am getting rid of NTL , they are a real PITA.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

I was going to start a thread on the hassle I've had with them but saw this one so decided to post it here instead.

I ordered Chorus over 3 weeks ago and have yet to be told my installation date. I called 3 times to ask and on each occasion I have been told that I would be called back - no call.

The last time - last monday - I was told I was made a 'priority case' and that i could expect installation by the end of the week. No call. Monday's call was brought about having spoken to my sister last week who had hers ordered and installed within a week.

I'm losing my patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

My advice is to stay well clear of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mldub

Traumadoc wrote: »
    My advice is to stay well clear of them.

Good advice indeed! I am trying to cancel my service with them, what a nightmare! I was left holding on the phone for ages trying to get through to their cancellation dept so decided to email them instead. When they eventually replied 4 days later, it was to advise that they had noted that I had already been onto their customer service and hoped that issue was resolved. No confirmation that they would cancel! They completely ignored my request and all because I had rang a couple of days after the email to complain about the reception and get a technician out (who by the way didn't bother to call at all). Anyway after sending a very irate reply to their email I have now been passed onto the Customer Loyalty Team - whatever that means! As I don't trust them to cancel the service now, I have had to call into my bank to cancel the direct debit just in case...

I was interested to read an earlier post from a former member of staff of UPC/NTL - if morale is that bad no wonder some of the customer service people are so sullen when they answer the phones! I have to say of all the companies in Ireland that I have ever dealt with, UPC/NTL are the WORST EVER for customer service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Dublin518317

I work for them, In what way does the 20mb not work??

Please let me know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

take a look at a few of my posts. I'm getting 40meg at the moment. Then 2 mins later getting 0 dl speed and 1440 up. Wired ethernet keeps dropping off. Wirelss on notebook the same problem. Mainly at peek times. Xbox 360 the same losing connection.
    I've formatted HDD's reinstalled windows, TCP optimsed, and about everyother troubleshoot going. I can't find a problem at my end. But UPC say 100% signal when they check my line. But as I said earlier full speed one minute 0 the next. Its on peak times the UPC lines overload.
    Either that or my modem or router is faulty. Looking at posts here some have a great service some up and down. Friend at the end of my block has the same PC and UPC contract and having no problems. So all I can think it is is either modem or router. Might try my old netopia router tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Infoanon

ROC1977 wrote: »
    take a look at a few of my posts. I'm getting 40meg at the moment. Then 2 mins later getting 0 dl speed and 1440 up. Wired ethernet keeps dropping off. Wirelss on notebook the same problem. Mainly at peek times.

Same problem for the last few weeks at peak times with UPC - quick scan shows a number of UPC users in the area - no imagination when naming wireless routers! so maybe thats part of the issue ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Ill be cancelling NTL at the end of the month. Sick to death of being robbed blind. Getting in Sky. I have paid up for the month so this is the end of it. What is the best way to go about cancelling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

Getting sky won't solve a broad band problem. As far as I'm aware no sky broad band in Ireland yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

only reason i stay with them is because of the analogue signal that can be split round the house.

as for the service - ok granted it works fine but god forbid if you have a problem.

i had the same issue with people calling and calling and calling from ntl - this was after i had rang in with a complaint - so i decided to tell the lad on the phone no thanks and preceded to tell him my complaint with ntl's service - he wasn't soon long in ending my call.

as for the 20 euro cancellation for sky sports and ntl , i can only think of that being as a result of the boxes floating about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Stay well clear as they are to much hassle to deal with when something goes wrong, you will spend 20 minutes on the phone and more than likely get nowhere.

I have had their broadband package for two years with very little trouble but when I got their tv service installed a few months ago it all went down hill from there, most weekends the would be no tv signal on either box even though the broadband would be working fine:confused: .

I rang last month and canceled the tv service and sent the letter off , plus complained about the lack of a tv service i was not receiving but getting billed for.

I rang today to get my bill adjusted and to pay the bill in full and ended up canceling my broadband service and getting rid of UPC/NTL completely.

They are an utter joke to deal with when you have a problem or a billing issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Remo

Here here....

Stay well away from them... you have no idea the amount of stress they have caused me and many other people that I know.

Sure last week they phoned my friend to say that they now have Broadband in her area. She agreed to the service ( altough I advised her not to ), and they scheduled it to be installed in five days time. They even sent her a txt message to say it would be installed between the hours of 9am and 1pm.
    Well needless to say, they never turned up after her waiting all day in the house for them. There was no call from them.
    When she called them they said they had no record of it !!!

Well suprise surprise.......

snip

Modedits in bold. No need for the name calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

I did the maths and decided to get rid of eircom and go for the phone service.

Savings about 30 euro a month ( I already have broadband, also upgraded to digital tv)

I arranged for Friday am.

On Thursday an automated phonecall asked me to confirm friday am.

They arrived friday am and installed no prob.

I got an automated call later that afternoon asking me to confirm that they had arrived on time and done what was needed. Which I did.

Now I don't work for UPC and we have had our differences in the past, but I'm happy enough so far (keep you updated).

BTW I still have the analog service for my kitchen tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭stevethesatguy

My only experience with UPC was when I tried to Order there service 2 months ago, I made 4 telephone calls , I sent in 3 emails and even though I left my contact details no one from the company ever called me back to arrange an installation date and my emails were never answered, if I treated my customers like that , well I would not have a business, I agree with the posters above who commented on how poor their customer service skills are. Thanks be we have Satellite options :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I have rang Sky 3 times over the last 2 weeks as they sent some letter to my house saying they now can to Sky in our complex.

Anyway I have left my name and no. 3 times and no one has come back to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

I got the landline added to my service a few months back, told them on the phone that i could only have it installed on a saturday morning or they can forget about it. Shock horror two lads arrived that saturday morning, the only way to deal with ntl is play hardball. I have had the whole downgrade fee attempt when i cancelled my movies...told the customer service agent i was cancelling the direct debit and the box would be sitting outside the front door if they apply the charge....second shock ...they waived it.

Dont cave or let them move you around departments just tell them this is what you want and if they dont do it then bye bye, we are paying for a service and i for one would rather not have the telly for a day or two if they want to arse about.

Advertisement