Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MGMT

Options
  • 20-08-2008 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭

Any one else in love with this band? Their styles quite unique and I found them hard to categorize but I thought I'd stick them in here.
    Tipped as a band to watch in 2008 by Rolling Stone magazine - I'll defo be watching as the lead singer so sooo gorge!!

Their two biggest songs:

[SIZE=-1]www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVnRzEjpUmE - Time To Pretend
    [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtUI5MC9tVM[/SIZE] - Electric Feel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

Really wasn't mad on the first single, but the song Kids shows a bit more potential. Pretty overrated, but they aren't bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Still have to get the album - been lazy lately :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

Awesome album, well worth getting

Not sure we can talk about any possible gig tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Can you discuss it in this thread?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055193725&highlight=MGMT

loads of fans in there!

EDIT: Like BrynW mentioned Flo, dont talk about the gig

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I wasnt a fan of them at the start, but they are really growing on me at the moment!

Can you discuss it in this thread?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055193725&highlight=MGMT

loads of fans in there!

EDIT: Like BrynW mentioned Flo, dont talk about the gig

Funny they never came up when I searched the forums....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

http://www.discogs.com/artist/MGMT

Its very much early days in my opinion. They have a few great songs but the rest are very forgettable. Lets see how the next ep/lp goes!

Anima wrote: »
    http://www.discogs.com/artist/MGMT

Its very much early days in my opinion. They have a few great songs but the rest are very forgettable. Lets see how the next ep/lp goes!

Aye but isn't that the same really with every band they don't tend to release more then 2-4 really good songs on each album?
    I agree though, hope they can keep it up. They've made quite an impression on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

While I thought that the first half of Oracular Spectacular was excellent, I was less impressed with the second half. Still, different horses...

Anyone heard their first album?

• Advertisement

While I thought that the first half of Oracular Spectacular was excellent, I was less impressed with the second half. Still, different horses...

I've heard of it, haven't actually listened to it though. Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Flojo wrote: »
    Any one else in love with this band? Their styles quite unique and I found them hard to categorize but I thought I'd stick them in here.
    Tipped as a band to watch in 2008 by Rolling Stone magazine - I'll defo be watching as the lead singer so sooo gorge!!

Their two biggest songs:

[SIZE=-1]www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVnRzEjpUmE - Time To Pretend
    [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtUI5MC9tVM[/SIZE] - Electric Feel

In fairness, I've said before, it's gonzo rock through a now de-rigeured synth. It clearly coins much of the Flaming Lips earlier sound. But the Flaming Lips did it well.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Pretty good album, some great songs, some not so great. I think Yeasayer who are from the same area are a better band having seen both live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

I really like their album! im really angry that i missed them live over the summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

I haven't listened to an album as much in a long time. Really great studio band. "Pieces of what" and "Weekend Wars" are my faves (Overlistened to Kids and Time to Pretend!).

Unfortunately, as far as I'm concerned, they are absolutely useless live. Saw them at Rock Werchter and was extremely unimpressed. Heard lots of reports telling the same from other gigs/festivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

I heard they were fantastic at one of their liv performances this summer. The place was jammed like couldnt get in!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Horrendously overhyped Scissor Sisters tribute band. One good song ('Time To Pretend') then an album that gets worse and worse as it goes on. From their live clips they look absolutely crap so they don't even have that as a saving grace.

Most overrated band of 2008 right there.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Horrendously overhyped Scissor Sisters tribute band. One good song ('Time To Pretend') then an album that gets worse and worse as it goes on. From their live clips they look absolutely crap so they don't even have that as a saving grace.

Yep indeed. Both Scissor Sisters and MGMT have pathetically weak vocalists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Just as a matter of interest, how does one pronounce their name? Ive heard them referred to as the letters M - G - M - T, but I call them Management?

And yes I like the album, despite 2 or 3 poor tracks

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Yet another unnecessary thread. Learn to search OP.
    MGMT mehGMT. Two good songs, better than the tings tings. Where are they now? In the process of being forgotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

I bought their album after I heard "Kid" "Time to pretend" and "Electric Feel". Solid songs that I love and I'm addicted to them. Especially "Kids". Listened to the rest of the album and hugely disappointed. They have 3 great songs, and the rest are medicocre at best, but I really wish I didn't purchase the entire album. There's nothing in there that even is remotely on the same par as the three songs I've mentioned. (Nor even a memorable one) So I bought the Ting Tings album thinking the same. As an album as a whole, it was worth my money. (and better as an album than MGMT's in my opinion.) However most over-rated, I don't think so. They were voted by Rolling Stone to be one of the sounds of 2008. Which is right. "Electric Feel" and "Time To Pretend" are the songs for 2008. Kids is a great song but I don't think it's a sound for 2008.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Yet another unnecessary thread. Learn to search OP.
    MGMT mehGMT. Two good songs, better than the tings tings. Where are they now? In the process of being forgotten.

Didn't I already say I tried... no need to be rude like :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

album is great. While the singles have a fairly modern synth-heavy sound, the rest of the album leans on late-60s psychedelia and 70s space rock, so I can see why people who liked the singles might not like the rest of it. "Of moons, birds and monsters" is probably my favourite song of the year so far...

saw the TV coverage of their Glasto performance, and yeah the lead guy doesn't have a strong live voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Love this band...

"I'm feeling rough, I'm feeling raw in the prime of my life"

Sums up my summer - in a good and bad way :)

Love this band...

"I'm feeling rough, I'm feeling raw in the prime of my life"

Sums up my summer - in a good and bad way :)

Aye I felt that summed me up pretty good too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Very Harsh imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Saw them over the Summer and they started off pretty poor, but in fairness when they warmed up they put on an excellent show.

The album is daycent imo, but not as good as Vampire Weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Thought the exact same. They have some cracking songs on there but the album turns **** after track 7 imo.

Lordgoat & Xavi6 - Why do you always have to be so intolerably rude and snobby about bands you don't like. If you don't like them don't post in here. It's the same tripe all the time - "totally overrated", "[insert olderband name here] tribute band" etc etc. YAWN!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Tommy the Cat

There fairly mincey.

• Advertisement

sprinkles wrote: »
    Thought the exact same. They have some cracking songs on there but the album turns **** after track 7 imo.

Lordgoat & Xavi6 - Why do you always have to be so intolerably rude and snobby about bands you don't like. If you don't like them don't post in here. It's the same tripe all the time - "totally overrated", "[insert olderband name here] tribute band" etc etc. YAWN!

I think if a thread is started on a band, it is only fair that emphatic praise be met with emphatic criticism.

Advertisement