Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MGMT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I disagree. 2 wrongs and all that.

I do agree that theya re overhyped but I really like their first 6 songs on the album. They are something completly different to anything else on the market at the minute and while they may end up being a flash in the pan there's no need to be abusive/rude to the OP. Just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Very Harsh imo.

The truth hurts.
    sprinkles wrote: »

I do agree that theya re overhyped but I really like their first 6 songs on the album. They are something completly different to anything else on the market at the minute and while they may end up being a flash in the pan there's no need to be abusive/rude to the OP. Just my 2 cents.

No one was 'abusive/rude' to the OP, if they were then they would have been banned for personal abuse.

Last time I looked this was a discussion board, not a 'let's not hurt someones feelings by expressing a negative opinion' board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

As usual, hype has killed a band. Before they were "the next big thing" (i.e. 3/4 months ago) they were completely refreshing in a genre that had become very stale.
    I think it's totally unfair to judge a bang on their mainstream hype - 7 out of the 10 songs on the album are excellent. A pretty good achievement .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Lordgoat & Xavi6 - Why do you always have to be so intolerably rude and snobby about bands you don't like. If you don't like them don't post in here. It's the same tripe all the time - "totally overrated", "[insert olderband name here] tribute band" etc etc. YAWN!
    It's not actually a case of "if you don't like them, don't post here" as the thread doesn't specify that you can only make positive comments. They're entitled to express their opinion, sprinkles. Although I must admit I don't see the actual point in being abrasive with it, but there's no law against that.

I'm really liking anything I've heard by MGMT, but I have to listen to the album properly yet - there's no shortage of people I can borrow it from though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Just as a matter of interest, how does one pronounce their name? Ive heard them referred to as the letters M - G - M - T, but I call them Management?

And yes I like the album, despite 2 or 3 poor tracks

I refer to them by the letters of the abbreviation. However, I could imagine the muzos out there would refer to them as 'the management' for no other reason than it was their name. Of course, they could simply be correct! So, in conclusion, I don't know :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

It was the 'Learn to search' quote that got my goat, I just hate smart a$$es. Grand they might not be everyones flavour, peeps are entitled to their own opinions. Makes for a good discussion.

Peace out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Xavi6 wrote:
    No one was 'abusive/rude' to the OP, if they were then they would have been banned for personal abuse.

Last time I looked this was a discussion board, not a 'let's not hurt someones feelings by expressing a negative opinion' board.
    I would have said Lordgoats reply was ignorant and rude. He should learn to read the posts before posting a smart comment himself.

I've no problem with people discussing a band - positives and negatives - in fact I agreed that their album was half **** but there's no need for the attitude

My annoyance isn't just with this thread it's with nearly every other thread on this forum. Certain people have a "high and mighty" air about them and seem to take pleasure in putting down uncool bands. I don't think there's much need for it. Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery imo.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Yet another unnecessary thread. Learn to search OP.
    Actually lordgoat, I had another look through this thread and really, there was no need for that comment. Somebody had already advised the OP there was an existing MGMT thread, which you thanked, so you obviously saw it, therefore why the need to repeat it?

Really, there is absolutely no need to be so condescending. And anyway, that's backseat moderating - on your part and on the part of the first person who advised Flojo there was another MGMT thread.
    Report it if you're so concerned.
    I would have said Lordgoats reply was ignorant and rude. He should learn to read the posts before posting a smart comment himself.

I've no problem with people discussing a band - positives and negatives - in fact I agreed that their album was half **** but there's no need for the attitude

My annoyance isn't just with this thread it's with nearly every other thread on this forum. Certain people have a "high and mighty" air about them and seem to take pleasure in putting down uncool bands. I don't think there's much need for it. Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery imo.
    Yeah, by all means guys, express your negative opinion - you've every right to - but lose the sneering, condescending, dismissive attitude.

Unfortunately snobbery is pretty rife in music. I guess it's because so many people define themselves by it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Well look what happens when you don't lookin a thread for a few days.

Due to the amount of unnecessary threads in this forum (quite a few have been moved recently - +) I thought reporting the post would be too far so i chose to use three words to get my point across if people found it rude so be it.

Just to clarify: Telling someone that there is a previous thread about a the same topic is backseat modding and not to be done? If so I wasn't aware it was a no-no and apologise for doing so.

And sprikles if how i word my opinions upsets you that much, please put me on ignore as i'd rather not have to read about it in threads or just pm me (i won't reply). I find it particularly classless slinging mud in public.

• Advertisement

Right. Leave it at that so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

I know this thread keeps popping back up! But has anybody heard the Justice remix of Electric Feel? It's a load of pants. I love both and this just makes panda sad.

Yeah, it's pretty atrocious. But that said I've never been huge into remixes to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

just heard it there, christ that is ear rapage of the highest degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

The tronik youth remix of time to pretend is excellent

Justice have a remix of Kids too, haven't heard it just passing along the info...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

What's wrong with the JUSTICE remix of Electric Feel? I think it's great.

Also, I don't think they've done a remix of Kids (yet).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Cant gety enough of their album, brilliant. Hopefully their next album is just as good as their first but somehow it feels doubtful.

Im going to check out those Justice remixs

S.M.B. wrote: »

They have.

Kids are your friends

http://hypem.com/track/601594/MGMT+vs+Justice-Kids+Are+Your+Friends+(JAPATTACK!+Remix)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

S.M.B. wrote: »
    What's wrong with the JUSTICE remix of Electric Feel? I think it's great.

It's boring and unimaginative. The fact that it's Justice, and Electric Feel is such a great song, it's seriously disappointing. There's nothing anyway different about it sounds like all the other crap MGMT remixes on youtube at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

The reix of Kids is terrible..... absolutely terrible :(

Sure that's not a Justice remix (as in remixed by Justice).

Soulwax have done a decent remix of Kids.

The reix of Kids is terrible..... absolutely terrible :(

Like the original so, though it is marginally better than 'Electric Feel'.

Justice have a remix of Kids too,

This is what i said earlier; meaning Justice have remixed Kids.

All the remixes i've heard so far are pretty terrible, even less longevity that the originals. Still MGMT were a decent band for the summer.

This is what i said earlier; meaning Justice have remixed Kids.

All the remixes i've heard so far are pretty terrible, even less longevity that the originals. Still MGMT were a decent band for the summer.

That remix is by JAPATTACK and not Justice.

Anyway..... MGMT, not sure what to make of them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Have only heard "Kids" of Fifa. The rest of the album worth a listen ye?

It's worth a listen once yeah. After that you might go back to the first few songs (except 'Electric Feel' which is crap) but the second half of the album is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's worth a listen once yeah. After that you might go back to the first few songs (except 'Electric Feel' which is crap) but the second half of the album is awful.

i disagree - I like the whole thing, but don't expect it all to be like "kids" and "time to pretend" - much of it is more in a 60s/70s psychedelic style

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

We went out clubbing for the UCC com hunt on monday, when the music stopped everyone sat down on the dancfloor and started chanting the tune to kids for a good ten minutes, and the langers never played it. The chanting was unreal though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

It's good, not fantastic, not crap, just...good.

Kids, Time to Pretend and the Youth are my favourites, but I agree with the criticisms about the 2nd half of the album, there's nothing to it whatsoever.

Advertisement