Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

If such a strict diet is not improving it, surely it has to be more of a fungal thing. Like an infection? I think for some people skin issues can be a result of bad diet, but also in others it could be a fungal thing that has to be basically destroyed.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭brevity

If such a strict diet is not improving it, surely it has to be more of a fungal thing. Like an infection? I think for some people skin issues can be a result of bad diet, but also in others it could be a fungal thing that has to be basically destroyed.

Any thoughts?

I'm sure diet might be able to improve the condition but from a medical point of view its an autoimmune problem. So its the body attacking itself. Can you call something an autoimmune if its caused by introducing a bad diet? Maybe you can.

This is what I'm going to be on

Adalimumab, trade name Humira ("human monoclonal antibody in rheumatoid arthritis") is a TNF inhibiting anti-inflammatory drug manufactured by AbbVie.

Adalimumab binds to tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNFα). TNFα normally binds to TNFα receptors, which leads to the inflammatory response of autoimmune diseases. By binding to TNFα, adalimumab reduces this inflammatory response. Adalimumab has been approved in the United States for rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, moderate to severe chronic psoriasis and juvenile idiopathic arthritis.

In rheumatoid arthritis, adalimumab has a response rate similar to methotrexate, and in combination nearly doubles the response rate of methotrexate alone.[1]

Because TNFα is part of the immune system that protects the body from infection, treatment with adalimumab may increase the risk of infections.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adalimumab

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Any thoughts?

I think 12 weeks is the time you really need to give a diet a shot for to ultimately tell whether it'll do anything for you or not. Some people like to go longer on diets and give them a whole 6 months to really be sure.

I'm nowhere near 12 weeks yet. I'm only on about week 6 now, 4 weeks with the Paleo diet, and the last 2 weeks with the Paleo AIP. The latter is an extension of the former, so 6 weeks overall if you want to count it like that.

And the fungal angle is another theory. "Candida Overgrowth" is one such theory - google it if you're curious. That too has its own diet targeted at rectifying it. Probiotic-rich foods being a big part of it, hence the newly added Sauerkraut and the like in my diet.

It's hard to know really, but I knew I was going to be in it for the long haul for dietary experiments. To be honest I've lived with this for 15 years now, 1-2 years of dietary experiments isn't going to phase me too much. The new ultra-low body fat levels are making up for it thus far. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

If you have a problem with candida then you need to see your GP about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They have UVB LED lights now, this could give more localised treatment and probably less heat, and possibly more controlled giving off only the light you need. Still have to read up more.

I did find this link below saying to be wary of alternative UVB narrowband bulbs, at first only philips made them but I have seen generic bulbs on sale. This is philips page so obviously there may be bias, but they are saying their bulb gives off more light in the theraputic range while the generic has more in the dangerous ranges, like what causes sunburn etc.

They were not that much cheaper so I would have stuck with philips anyways. Probably better made so last longer anyway.

http://www.lighting.philips.com/b-dam/b2b-li/en_AA/products/special-lighting/phototherapy/downloads/new_light_source_for_narrowband_uvb_phototherapy.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Hi all,

I've suffered from psoriasis since I was a child and was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis about 7/8 years ago (I'm 29).

For the most part my psoriasis has been fairly under control. It's been mainly around my scalp and has responded well to various treatments over the years (diprosalic ointment was the best ever but it's been discontinued :( ). I take methotrexate and Humira for my arthritis and those medications have also definitely helped.

At my worst over the years I had small patches on my elbows, chin and in one of my eyebrows. However in the past 3/4 moths I've had the worst breakout I've ever had in my life. My two forearms are covered in dry, itchy lumps and my throat, chin, (one!) eyebrow, forehead, behind my ears and my scalp are pretty bad too.

I have been using steroid creams, diprobase ointment, various La Roche Posay lotions (which are quite good at softening the skin but the effects wear off very quickly). My arthritis consultant decreased my Methotrexate dosage before Christmas so I reckon that's having a big effect which is a huge disappointment. My arthritis has been improving over the years and I am always delighted to get my dosages reduced but it looks like I'll have to ask him to increase them again :(

I've been going through a lot of stress over the past few months due to work and family reasons and looking for a new house. I've found somewhere new to live now and the other things are calming down so I hope my skin will start to settle soon.

However I'm going on holidays in 4 weeks and just feel disgusting with my skin. I was thinking of doing a few sunbeds (just in a normal tanning salon) over the next few weeks. I'd usually be against them but I am feeling quite desperate at the moment! Has anyone here had any success with them?

I was a child and was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis
    Have you ever tried castor oil? I find it very good for my psoriasis and while researching it arthritis kept coming up too, some people reporting having great relief by rubbing it into areas with it.

I think it is to be avoided by pregnant or breastfeeding women.

I have not used sunbeds but found sunbathing a good help, and I use a UVB light which I find great.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

I am in exactly the same situation, Ibarelycare. I got a gift of a sun holiday, and I was appalled at the thought of showing myself in public with all my plaques. I went to a tanning salon, twice a week, for 4 minutes each time for four weeks. The result is just amazing. To the naked eye, my P cannot be seen. The bad areas are still rough to touch, but no flaking, no itchiness, and most importantly, I don't believe I will scare any small children. My P usually responds very well to the actual sun, so I'm hoping that I will get the summer out of the combination of sun-beds and real sun. I was reluctant to say anything about the tanning beds to my GP, but on a recent visit, he was gobsmacked at how good my skin was. I admitted to using the tanning beds, and he said 'Go for it, but keep it in moderation'. Hope this helps! :-)

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

rubadub wrote: »
    Have you ever tried castor oil? I find it very good for my psoriasis and while researching it arthritis kept coming up too, some people reporting having great relief by rubbing it into areas with it.

I think it is to be avoided by pregnant or breastfeeding women.

I have not used sunbeds but found sunbathing a good help, and I use a UVB light which I find great.

I hadn't until I read back a few pages on this thread after my post, but I'm going to give it a try, thanks! I have used coconut oil and I love it as a body lotion but it didn't help with the psoriasis. Can you buy castor oil in a supermarket?
    Foggy Jew wrote: »
    I am in exactly the same situation, Ibarelycare. I got a gift of a sun holiday, and I was appalled at the thought of showing myself in public with all my plaques. I went to a tanning salon, twice a week, for 4 minutes each time for four weeks. The result is just amazing. To the naked eye, my P cannot be seen. The bad areas are still rough to touch, but no flaking, no itchiness, and most importantly, I don't believe I will scare any small children. My P usually responds very well to the actual sun, so I'm hoping that I will get the summer out of the combination of sun-beds and real sun. I was reluctant to say anything about the tanning beds to my GP, but on a recent visit, he was gobsmacked at how good my skin was. I admitted to using the tanning beds, and he said 'Go for it, but keep it in moderation'. Hope this helps! :-)

That's so reassuring to hear, thank you! Fingers crossed it will have the same results for me. I'm not actually going on a sun holiday, I'm going to Iceland (the opposite!) but I still would like to not have to be hiding myself on nights out. I will be visiting the Blue Lagoon when there and the water is meant to help people with skin conditions such as psoriasis, but I'm sure that's only after continued bathing! Anyway it will be nice to give it a try.

I have very fair skin so wouldn't do long on the sunbeds at all, was thinking of trying a few 4-minute ones. I go by a tanning salon on my way home so will pop in this evening. Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Hi all,

I've suffered from psoriasis since I was a child and was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis about 7/8 years ago (I'm 29).

For the most part my psoriasis has been fairly under control. It's been mainly around my scalp and has responded well to various treatments over the years (diprosalic ointment was the best ever but it's been discontinued :( ). I take methotrexate and Humira for my arthritis and those medications have also definitely helped.

At my worst over the years I had small patches on my elbows, chin and in one of my eyebrows.

Apart from the arthritis I have similar psoriasis to you, both red patches and dry, flaky patches on scalp, face and elbows. I go to a tanning salon maybe twice a month and its always made a huge difference to me. I'll be in for 6-7 minutes at a time, and at only twice a month I don't consider it excessive at all. Wouldn't care if it was actually, it definitely helps with psoriasis.

• Advertisement

I picked up a bottle of the "Moo Goo" that was discussed earlier in the thread, the scalp lotion version.

To be honest, it hasn't really done anything for me at all unfortunately, won't be bothering with it any more. The Roche Posay is far better.

Everybody is different I know, but thought I would mention it as a data point.

Apart from the arthritis I have similar psoriasis to you, both red patches and dry, flaky patches on scalp, face and elbows. I go to a tanning salon maybe twice a month and its always made a huge difference to me. I'll be in for 6-7 minutes at a time, and at only twice a month I don't consider it excessive at all. Wouldn't care if it was actually, it definitely helps with psoriasis.

Brilliant, really hoping it works for me too. My friend did suggest it to me a month or so back and I thought "no it'll clear up on its own soon" but I'm really getting a bit desperate now! I did a few sessions about 6 or 7 years ago and they did help but I'm just so conscious of the dangers of them. But I really think the odd very short session will be worth it, because my skin is really starting to get me down at the moment.

Brilliant, really hoping it works for me too. My friend did suggest it to me a month or so back and I thought "no it'll clear up on its own soon" but I'm really getting a bit desperate now! I did a few sessions about 6 or 7 years ago and they did help but I'm just so conscious of the dangers of them. But I really think the odd very short session will be worth it, because my skin is really starting to get me down at the moment.

Frankly, I'm secretly delighted every time a heat wave comes and I get sun burned, because I know that it means the psorasis will be gone for a while. I know the dangers and don't actively try to get burned, but there is nothing that clears up my skin like it.

There are people going to a salon multiple times a week, they are the ones at risk from over exposure, I don't think going a few times a month is really going to do that much damage. Just make sure to build up tolerance, start with just 2/3 minutes for the first couple of times.

Can you buy castor oil in a supermarket?
    I have never seen it, nor really looked. It might be in the medication section as its used for constipation.

I got mine in the chemist, 500ml for about €13.50, there were smaller bottles but the big one was better value. Its really thick, some talk of diluting it down, presumably with a thinner oil. I have put it on my scalp while it was still wet after a shower and it spreads out easier. I pour it into a pub shot glass and dab it on.

I think some other poster was questioned when buying it, presumably it was the pregnancy thing.

Boots nappy rash cream is also castor oil based with zinc oxide & peanut oil. I find it excellent. The zinc oxide would act as a sunscreen though, so I never put it on a day I am doing UVB, or in your case doing sunbeds, though it can be used to mask areas that do not need treatment. But zinc oxide is also great for relief of sunburn, so I nearly always use it right after my UVB treatment -and would recommend it for after your sunbeds.
    http://www.boots.ie/en/Boots-Baby-Zinc-Castor-Oil-250ml_1617470/

Its currently 3 for the price of 2, might get some more myself. Sudocrem is also zinc oxide based but is much thicker & whiter/whitening than the boots cream. You can also mix sudocrem in with castor oil or vaseline etc to dilute it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

I agree with Moo Goo - dont not work for me but everyone is different. Im seriously tempted to try the tanning salon as psoriasis on my back is a nightmare - very embarrassing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

So rubadub you leave the castor oil on overnight? What do you wash it off with eventually?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I'll write a longer post later but I find Diprobase cream quite good. The phototherapy nurses told me to use it but I find it does work

So rubadub you leave the castor oil on overnight? What do you wash it off with eventually?
    I leave a thin coat on during the day sometimes. At night I might put on a thick coat on my scalp and sleep with a plastic bag covering it to stop the pillows getting messy, a small enough bag that could not suffocate of course.

It is quite strange in that it can cause the skin scales to become sort of crystalline, I have not had this with any other oil or cream. I have 2 very fine combs and you can comb the scales out, one came with a hair clipper, the other was a baby comb, very soft spines on it. I never noticed this with the boots cream mix, only the straight castor oil.

When it's on my scalp & thick I have to sort of squeegee it off, like a window wiper. I use a flexible card to do this, like a credit card, you can pick up free loyalty card anywhere these days! If I have thick zinc oxide creams on my scalp, like sudocrem I would rub vegetable oil into my scalp, which will dilute down the white creams, and then squeegee off, there is always a little remaining but as its diluted it is not so white looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

I picked up a bottle of the "Moo Goo" that was discussed earlier in the thread, the scalp lotion version.

To be honest, it hasn't really done anything for me at all unfortunately, won't be bothering with it any more. The Roche Posay is far better.

Everybody is different I know, but thought I would mention it as a data point.

Yah I didn't find moo goo any good. I use nizoral on my scalp on the moment. I find it really good. I use the moo goo conditioner as it really softens my hair after the nizoral.

Is the caster oil easy to wash out of your hair? I have really long hair and sometimes find it hard to wash oils such as olive oil, dovobet and coconut oil out of my hair. Coconut oil took three washes.

Does anyone find that when they use hair straighteners that their scalp gets very itchy? I've given up using hairdryers long ago. I only straighten my hair once or twice a week. But I think i may have to cut back on that as well.

So did 4 minutes on the sunbed this evening... Aaaand I'm burnt :( I'm too irish for sunbeds!!! :o

I can notice a difference in my skin already though. But I don't want to keep getting burnt... :(

• Advertisement

I find that after leaving any oil on my scalp overnight, the best thing to use is washing-up liquid the following morning. Fairy is great. I 'shampoo' it twice with the washing up liquid, then use moo-goo or another really intensive conditioner. Then get to work with the nit-comb & scrape the scales off. Very sore, time-consuming & a bit anti-social, but satisfying. Sorry you got burnt, Ibarelycare. I started off with 4 minutes per session & didn't burn. Maybe you used a much stronger sunbed than me. Hey!! How many people are going to bed tonight sunburnt in Ireland? You're one in a million! ��

I find that after leaving any oil on my scalp overnight, the best thing to use is washing-up liquid the following morning. Fairy is great. I 'shampoo' it twice with the washing up liquid, then use moo-goo or another really intensive conditioner. Then get to work with the nit-comb & scrape the scales off. Very sore, time-consuming & a bit anti-social, but satisfying. Sorry you got burnt, Ibarelycare. I started off with 4 minutes per session & didn't burn. Maybe you used a much stronger sunbed than me. Hey!! How many people are going to bed tonight sunburnt in Ireland? You're one in a million! ��

I'll definitely try the washing up liquid. Would your hair smell of the washing up liquid though?

I thought I was the only one with a nit comb. It's so therapeutic though. I usually just put dovobet on my scalp once a week and then fine comb it. I usually leave it in for a few hours. Works pretty well. Though ill be adding in another oil from now on.

If you use a really good conditioner, and after the Fairy liquid, you'd need to, the washing up liquid smell goes. My local pharmacist must think I'm crawling with lice, the number of nit combs I've bought. I keep losing the damn things!

If you use a really good conditioner, and after the Fairy liquid, you'd need to, the washing up liquid smell goes. My local pharmacist must think I'm crawling with lice, the number of nit combs I've bought. I keep losing the damn things!

I actually just use a normal comb. I must buy the nit ones. Sometimes I wish i could shave my head just to be able to to get rid of all the scales. I'm lucky in that it's just on my scalp. But it can be very embarrassing spotting the odd flake in my hair.

Laughing wryly at 'the odd flake'. I can simulate a total Siberian white-out with a toss of my head! I haven't worn black in about 6 years!

Laughing wryly at 'the odd flake'. I can simulate a total Siberian white-out with a toss of my head! I haven't worn black in about 6 years!

Yah when I read over that I was like it's a bit more than the odd flake. But it makes me feel like I'm unclean even saying that.

Sometimes I wash my hair and as it dries and I comb it, flakes just keep appearing and appearing. I suppose at least I have long hair so I can change my crease and hairstyle depending on where it's bad.

That sounds awful not being able to wear black tops. I do have to keep an eye if I wear dark tops but i can usually get away with it.

So did 4 minutes on the sunbed this evening... Aaaand I'm burnt :( I'm too irish for sunbeds!!! :o
    With UVB light therapy they actually set out to give you a mild sunburn. I imagine the burning you got from the sunbed is just slight and not like a "beer garden burn" you see some lads with after a scorching weekend.

You will see UVB clinical guidelines talking of erythemal doses & sub-erythemal doses, the sub meaning no sunburn.

When sunbathing I use no suncream and intentionally set out to get a mild sunburn.
    greenfrogs wrote: »
    I actually just use a normal comb. I must buy the nit ones.
    I was looking for a nit one when I found a baby comb & brush set in a €2 type shop. The needles are very closely spaced and very soft.

Here is a fine lice comb for pets for 80cent, including delivery!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pet-Dog-Cat-Clean-Comb-Grooming-Tool-Steel-Small-Fine-Toothed-Comb-Catching-Lice-/131368973531?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item1e963374db

plastic one here
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Double-Sided-Plastic-Combs-for-Hair-Lice-Detection-Comb-Kids-Adults-Pet-/121610583643?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c508e3e5b

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Putting a harsh detergent like fairy liquid on your scalp seems completely counter productive to me, when you should be trying to"calm down" the area, not stimulate inflammation.

I was recommended yes to carrots conditioner for the scalp, and I must say it works pretty well.

I found what works really well too for the itch is a cold rinse with Rosemary infusion. Get cheap bag of dried rosemary (or pick some fresh !), put a good dose in teapot, boiled water, and wait till it's cool before filtering out leaves. After usual shampoo, rinse with above infusion, and leave that in. I usually leave my hair dry naturally but I'd say you'll still get the goodness will blowdry.

I don't normally swear by plant remedies, but this is easy, cheap, and feels brilliant.

Edit : if you're looking to lift the scales, I'd say the little rosemary bits must be great exfoliators.

No, no no - I only use the washing up liquid to wash the greasy Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, or whatever oily product I left on my scalp overnight. Every 3 -4 weeks, I saturate my scalp with oil, cover with a shower cap, and leave on for the night. Unless I use the washing up liquid specifically targeting grease, my hair will be greasy looking for the next 3 days. As a rule, I certainly would not advocate using Fairy on my scalp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Calmcookie84

Hi everyone. I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend a good dermatologist in the Cork area. The psoraisis on my scalp is driving me mad. I've been using Bettamousse but as soon as I stop using it the psoraisis comes back right away. I haven't seen a dermatologist about my psorasis but I think it's time I did. I have psorasis on my scalp( mainly), my eyelids, ears, elbows, and patches dotted around my body. I feel like I need help with this as its starting to depress me and it's getting out of control. Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Advertisement