Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insane import prices from Hong Kong

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

If you do it that way you could import a €120,000 sports car without paying a cent of customs and import duty. Not really a viable option. The limit has always been a monetary value worldwide. The limit itself however is variable from country to country. Ours is rather low by comparison to may places which is why it's being raised slightly at the end of the fiscal year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

There are currently two limits, the ~€20 limit is for non gifts, and the ~€40 limit is for items marked as a gift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭duffhead1010

NakedDex wrote: »
    If you do it that way you could import a €120,000 sports car without paying a cent of customs and import duty. Not really a viable option. The limit has always been a monetary value worldwide. The limit itself however is variable from country to country. Ours is rather low by comparison to may places which is why it's being raised slightly at the end of the fiscal year.

You're right, I just wish I didn't have to pay so much.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭babyjames

Just to let ye all know if you are importing stuff from WGC or Rsov avoid UPS like the plauge they add an extra charge for putting you package trough customs. I got two deliveries in the space of two days One by DHL wich cost 22.39 in import taxes and the other one from UPS which cost 33 .63 and the original value of that one was around 20 euro less than the DHL one.When I enquired as to why the price was so high I was informed that they now have this charge in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,597 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Sounds like UPS alright. I've yet to have an order shipped by UPS where they didn't include lots of extra charges. Avoid whenever possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

Add fedex to the ones to avoid. Although not airsoft related - I got a watch from a seller in Asia (value about E100) and it was delivered in good time by fedex - no charges.

or so I thought...
    two weeks later a letter from fedex arrives:

INVOICE
    Duty 2.99
    VAT 13.97
    Admin Fee 10.00
    total 26.96
    more VAT 2.10
    new total 29.06

:D:D:D

What can you say - cant avoid taxes etc. no problem but I can avoid FedEx for all future transactions. :D

So add 'em to the list...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

lol., yeah fedex are a bastid for that., although they do that so they can deliver your packages quicker aparently.,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

That can't be right... They're charging you VAT on the total which includes VAT previously. So they're essentially charging you VAT on your paid VAT. It's only worth a few cent but I'd argue about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

vtec wrote: »
    lol., yeah fedex are a bastid for that., although they do that so they can deliver your packages quicker aparently.,

Nope they're crap as well. Had stuff delayed for ages from the states from them. Then the invoice months later for the extras which I refused to pay because of the delays and inflated costs until they threatened to put my employers account on hold because I got the package delivered to work.

I will never use them or UPS for any deliveries and will avoid retailers that use these shipping methods always.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭tonky

The Vat of 2.10 is VAT at 21% on the Admin fee of 10.00, prob for customs formalities. The Duty And VAT at the top are due on the Valuation of the goods and are paid by the Agent to Revenue on your behalf AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

NakedDex wrote: »
    That can't be right... They're charging you VAT on the total which includes VAT previously. So they're essentially charging you VAT on your paid VAT. It's only worth a few cent but I'd argue about that.

Defo worth chaseing after. A few cent multiplied by a few thousand customers = a crap load of money for them for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

tonky wrote: »
    The Vat of 2.10 is VAT at 21% on the Admin fee of 10.00, prob for customs formalities. The Duty And VAT at the top are due on the Valuation of the goods and are paid by the Agent to Revenue on your behalf AFAIK.

There used be itemised a fee for not declaring, thus you'd pay VAT, stampduty, and then get fined for not declaring the goods.

Advertisement