Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insane import prices from Hong Kong

Options
  • 11-08-2008 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

I ordered a airsoft gun recently and it arrived today from ups, but I had to pay 50 euro for taxes and stuff. I didn't have the money to pay for it on me so now i have to wait another day for my gun. Is the anyway I can avoid paying so much in the future? The retailer I used was WGC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

Other than ordering from Irish or other European sites, nothing much you can do really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭duffhead1010

Oh:(
    Can you reccomend any cheap european retailers?

To be honest when I'm buying AEGs I would usually just buy from either eirsoft.ie or airsoftscotland. I personnaly am not too familiar with many other European retailers, but of curse I'm sure there are many here who are.

Thanks I'll check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

Is the anyway I can avoid these stupid taxes in the future?

any talk of avoiding vat and duty is liable to get the thread locked, your should alwasy add 25% to any order made outside the EU to cover yourself with teh vat and duty charges

• Advertisement

25%...
    I thought it was 21%:confused:
    Ahh... no matter the point still remains, I probably should have mentioned that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

www.airsoftguns.pl is one I used recently, shipping is very reasonable, 30 euro via DHL to Ireland, that was for several rifles.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Just to add if you order from outside the EU and its over €18 (I think this may change soon) you are liable to pay duty and VAT on the item. The really bad news is you have to pay it on the full amount including shipping.

Do not ask again how to avoid duty or tax or you will get banned from here.

Sorry, anyway I edited the post so it's fine.

www.airsoftguns.pl is one I used recently, shipping is very reasonable, 30 euro via DHL to Ireland, that was for several rifles.

Problem is there, I'm seeing ALOT of 350fps+ guns.

• Advertisement

25%...
    I thought it was 21%
    Ahh... no matter the point still remains, I probably should have mentioned that too.

i alwasy say 25% of total cost as that then covers vat duty and any charges the lovely devlivery people put on :)

gandalf wrote: »
    The really bad news is you have to pay it on the full amount including shipping.
    Yeah it was pretty horrible, 190 euro altogether.:(

Just checked that site and an awful lot of their AEG's are firing over 1j. I assume you either ordered AEG's under the limit or asked them to downgrade them before shipping. If not you imported the AEG's illegally.

Problem is there, I'm seeing ALOT of 350fps+ guns

yes, problem is 350 seems to be the stock power for most clone products of late, cheaper retailors and reliable downgrades do not normaly go hand in hand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

25%...
    I thought it was 21%:confused:

21% is the Vat, AFAIK Duty is another 3% - 6% depending on the item?? could be wrong tho. Then you also have to take into account administration fees which could be another 10 euro on top of that!

Puding wrote: »
    i alwasy say 25% of total cost as that then covers vat duty and any charges the lovely devlivery people put on :)

Ahh, yes the famous "Other" charges...:p

gandalf wrote: »
    Just checked that site and an awful lot of their AEG's are firing over 1j. I assume you either ordered AEG's under the limit or asked them to downgrade them before shipping. If not you imported the AEG's illegally.

Actually sorry I didn't factor that in, all I was ordering was cheap rifles all either .6 or .8j for film props. Very good range there though, especially in budget rifles. Excellent prices, far better then Irish sites for what they stock in common, though obviously coming from Poland that's to be expected.

Ahh, yes the famous "Other" charges...

since the ems problems i;ve got very angrey at the 'other' charges

Puding wrote: »
    since the ems problems i;ve got very angrey at the 'other' charges

What are the "other" charges described as?

normaly its some form of 'admin' charge for deal with custom on your behalf

• Advertisement

Excellent prices, far better then Irish sites for what they stock in common, though obviously coming from Poland that's to be expected.

Bear in mind Terror on the few I spot checked on that site Irish retailers have to pay to get them downgraded as well. That has to be taken into account as well.

As the law stands if people import any AEG over 1j they are doing so illegally even if they are intending to downgrade it themselves. They will be seized and destroyed by C&E if they test them.

Yep, for that reason I wouldn't order anything above the limit, too risky. How lenient are they, exactly? For example, obviously a rifle shooting at 360+ fps is way above the limit, but say a rifle was maybe, 330fps?

Is there any Irish/UK retailer that stocks cheap replicas like those that Airsoftguns.pl do? I bought a few rifles, again for props, and you can get very realistic spring rifles (like this for example) for 25-40 euro - but there's no equivalent at all on Irish sites for that sort of purpose, or even on UK sites I looked at. Airguns.ie have a few cheap guns but they look like crap, which would defeat the purpose of its use. Interesting, one gun that costs 43 euro on airsoftguns.pl and at stock is well under the 1j limit, is 100 on airguns.ie...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

airguns.ie is owned by DW2 :pac:

Yeah DW2 stopped selling rifles a day or two ago, though in the transition, they lost a few of their cheap AEG's/spring rifles....There was a Well P90 (35) and the plastic MP40 (11) I actually was going to buy for the laugh but they literally vanished in front of my eyes!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Airsoft scotland are quite dear, as are many UK sites, I'd stick with Irish retailers, you'll save on shipping(and its far faster).

I thought the minimum for VAT to be charged was €48? Could be wrong though. The new limit is 150 isnt it? Comin in in september afaik.

I thought the minimum for VAT to be charged was €48? Could be wrong though. The new limit is 150 isnt it? Comin in in september afaik.

That will be quite handy.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

but say a rifle was maybe, 330fps?

Is destroyed. There is no margin of error. If its tested over its over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I believe you are correct. That was correct the last time I checked. Anything under €48 is considered a gift and therefore tax free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Have they changed it? The last I heard it was december.

• Advertisement

I believe you are correct. That was correct the last time I checked. Anything under €48 is considered a gift and therefore tax free.

How can you price a gift?:P I think it should be if you import more than 1 item , 'cos not many retailers stock 1 item.

Advertisement